NATION

PASSWORD

More Americans Identify as LGBT than ever before

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57724
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

More Americans Identify as LGBT than ever before

Postby San Lumen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/americans-ide ... d=76097305

A new poll has found that more adults identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender than ever before.

According to a Gallup poll released Wednesday, 5.6% of United States adults identify as LGBT. That's up from 4.5%, based on the company's 2017 data. In 2012, when Gallup began tracking the measure, that number was 3.5%.

I find it very interesting the numbers are going up. I cannot explain with certainty why it is very welcome news more people are being open about their sexual orientation. A likely reason could be increasing majority support for LGBT rights and overall acceptance. Public figures being open about it including people in elected office likely gives vindication.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers have grown in other countries too. Your thoughts NSG?
Last edited by Farnhamia on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Than not then

User avatar
Aracrom
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Feb 10, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aracrom » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 pm

inb4 gay propaganda conspiracy post

User avatar
Nilokeras
Diplomat
 
Posts: 991
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm

San Lumen wrote:I find it very interesting the numbers are going up while I am at a loss to explain why with any certainty


San Lumen wrote:Perhaps it could be increasing majority support for LGBT rights and overall acceptance.


It sure is a mystery
Last edited by Nilokeras on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The united American-Isreali empire
Diplomat
 
Posts: 737
Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The united American-Isreali empire » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm

I'm just surprised.

User avatar
A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister
 
Posts: 2710
Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Boo! Nothing makes me feel more Queer than being left out >:(
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

User avatar
Czechostan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1171
Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:00 pm

I'm honestly surprised it's that low, but looking at the results across generations, it makes more sense.

People are growing up in a world where the gender binary and heteronormativity are eroding away, so this number will only increase.
"The oldest, shortest words—"yes" and "no"—are those which require the most thought." ~Pythagoras

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

User avatar
A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister
 
Posts: 2710
Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:02 pm

Aracrom wrote:inb4 gay propaganda conspiracy post


It's not forbidden afaik, but mods have frowned on INB4 posts. They're a bit like spamming: if they're proper funny then they're just a joke. Otherwise, they're spamming.

Oh never mind. Just giving you a taste of what we serve up here: picking out petty faults in each other's posts.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3324
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:03 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://abcnews.go.com/US/americans-identify-lgbt-poll/story?id=76097305

A new poll has found that more adults identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender than ever before.

According to a Gallup poll released Wednesday, 5.6% of United States adults identify as LGBT. That's up from 4.5%, based on the company's 2017 data. In 2012, when Gallup began tracking the measure, that number was 3.5%.

I find it very interesting the numbers are going up while I am at a loss to explain why with any certainty it is very welcome news more people are being open about their sexual orientation. Perhaps it could be increasing majority support for LGBT rights and overall acceptance. Public figures being open about it including people in elected office likely gives vindication.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers have grown in other countries too. Your thoughts NSG?

The numbers are going up because increasing acceptance has made it more likely that LGBT people openly identify with it.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Somewhat socially conservative and prudish. Low-key bisexual.
Rawlsian socialist and Constitutional Monarchist. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
RIP DMX and Prince Philip, flag intended as a tribute.

User avatar
Stellar Colonies
Minister
 
Posts: 2549
Founded: Mar 27, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of the population was bisexual, but so heavily tilted towards one end that they assume they are straight.

Sometimes I wonder that about myself, but it'd be close enough to straight to not matter either way, as with the above.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 year & 23 days since local 'stay-at-home order' was announced

Native of The East Pacific and Northern California
Opinions and Puppets
Stellar Colonies is a loose confederacy comprised from most of the human-settled parts of the galaxy.

Ida Station is the only Confederate member state permitted to join the WA.
An Incomplete List of Ida's Interpretations of WA Resolutions

Add 1200 years for the date I use.
If you want a mental image of me: Straight(?), white male.

I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

I don't think the political compass is
fully accurate, but here are my results:

X-Axis: -5.38
Y-Axis: -2.62

Also, I'm diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic.

User avatar
Molither
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 101
Founded: Dec 19, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Molither » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 pm

Around 16% of my Generation (Gen Z) identify as LGBT according to that survey


I see this as welcome news, in the past people had to keep their sexuality under wraps - human sexuality is more fluid than we’ve been led to believe.
Molither is ruled by a mostly benevolent King


My IRL politics: Patriotism, LGBT rights, Social democracy

User avatar
Baldwin Park
Secretary
 
Posts: 36
Founded: Sep 06, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Baldwin Park » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:05 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://abcnews.go.com/US/americans-identify-lgbt-poll/story?id=76097305

A new poll has found that more adults identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender than ever before.

According to a Gallup poll released Wednesday, 5.6% of United States adults identify as LGBT. That's up from 4.5%, based on the company's 2017 data. In 2012, when Gallup began tracking the measure, that number was 3.5%.

I find it very interesting the numbers are going up while I am at a loss to explain why with any certainty it is very welcome news more people are being open about their sexual orientation. Perhaps it could be increasing majority support for LGBT rights and overall acceptance. Public figures being open about it including people in elected office likely gives vindication.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers have grown in other countries too. Your thoughts NSG?


Not everyone thats LGBT is necessarilly out. I don't see people anywhere being more inclusive except in some enclaves. Hate crimes are still an issue as is harrassment.

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57724
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:07 pm

Baldwin Park wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://abcnews.go.com/US/americans-identify-lgbt-poll/story?id=76097305

A new poll has found that more adults identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender than ever before.

According to a Gallup poll released Wednesday, 5.6% of United States adults identify as LGBT. That's up from 4.5%, based on the company's 2017 data. In 2012, when Gallup began tracking the measure, that number was 3.5%.

I find it very interesting the numbers are going up while I am at a loss to explain why with any certainty it is very welcome news more people are being open about their sexual orientation. Perhaps it could be increasing majority support for LGBT rights and overall acceptance. Public figures being open about it including people in elected office likely gives vindication.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers have grown in other countries too. Your thoughts NSG?


Not everyone thats LGBT is necessarilly out. I don't see people anywhere being more inclusive except in some enclaves. Hate crimes are still an issue as is harrassment.


What makes you think it’s just some enclaves?

User avatar
Major-Tom
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14676
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 pm

Makes sense, more people not afraid to say they're LGBT, more people who see the growing acceptance of being LGBT and thereby feel more comfortable questioning their own sexuality etc.
"We're flawed because we want so much. We're ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."
Who is Tom?
Other Pertinent Factbooks

User avatar
Molither
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 101
Founded: Dec 19, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Molither » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:12 pm

The LGBT community should see this as welcome news as it means there’s a larger dating pool as a proportion of the population


Straight people should also see this as welcome news as there’s less competition lol
Molither is ruled by a mostly benevolent King


My IRL politics: Patriotism, LGBT rights, Social democracy

User avatar
Baldwin Park
Secretary
 
Posts: 36
Founded: Sep 06, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Baldwin Park » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Baldwin Park wrote:
Not everyone thats LGBT is necessarilly out. I don't see people anywhere being more inclusive except in some enclaves. Hate crimes are still an issue as is harrassment.


What makes you think it’s just some enclaves?


I don't think Poland or the Southern US would be cool with LGBT people being out.

I think if youre in some rural areas of the US you will get attacked or killed just for existing if they know youre LGBT. I don't think society is as inclusive outside of cosmopolitain areas. Just my experience leads me to believe this.

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57724
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm

Baldwin Park wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
What makes you think it’s just some enclaves?


I don't think Poland or the Southern US would be cool with LGBT people being out.

I think if youre in some rural areas of the US you will get attacked or killed just for existing if they know youre LGBT. I don't think society is as inclusive outside of cosmopolitain areas. Just my experience leads me to believe this.


Atlanta has one of the highest LGBT populations in the US.

User avatar
Major-Tom
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14676
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Baldwin Park wrote:
I don't think Poland or the Southern US would be cool with LGBT people being out.

I think if youre in some rural areas of the US you will get attacked or killed just for existing if they know youre LGBT. I don't think society is as inclusive outside of cosmopolitain areas. Just my experience leads me to believe this.


Atlanta has one of the highest LGBT populations in the US.


Drive, like, 60 miles north of there and ask the same question.
"We're flawed because we want so much. We're ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."
Who is Tom?
Other Pertinent Factbooks

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57724
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Atlanta has one of the highest LGBT populations in the US.


Drive, like, 60 miles north of there and ask the same question.

Yes true. Rural areas are less generally accepting.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40052
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:18 pm

Czechostan wrote:I'm honestly surprised it's that low, but looking at the results across generations, it makes more sense.

People are growing up in a world where the gender binary and heteronormativity are eroding away, so this number will only increase.

LGBT individuals only make up ~1%-3% of most animal populations that reproduce sexually.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Stellar Colonies
Minister
 
Posts: 2549
Founded: Mar 27, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 pm

Generally speaking, education about how LGBTQ+ people exist is an important detail, since they'd be more accepted if people learn about them simultaneously with learning about straight relationships.

I mean, I only learned that non-straight people actually existed in 2016 or so, and I'm not sure when everyone else here learned about them, but that would go to show how it would be important for kids to be aware of them in the same way they'd be aware of straight relationships at that age if it's desired that non-straight relationships be perceived as no different from straight ones.
1 year & 23 days since local 'stay-at-home order' was announced

Native of The East Pacific and Northern California
Opinions and Puppets
Stellar Colonies is a loose confederacy comprised from most of the human-settled parts of the galaxy.

Ida Station is the only Confederate member state permitted to join the WA.
An Incomplete List of Ida's Interpretations of WA Resolutions

Add 1200 years for the date I use.
If you want a mental image of me: Straight(?), white male.

I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

I don't think the political compass is
fully accurate, but here are my results:

X-Axis: -5.38
Y-Axis: -2.62

Also, I'm diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40052
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Generally speaking, education about how LGBTQ+ people exist is an important detail, since they'd be more accepted if people learn about them simultaneously with learning about straight relationships.

I mean, I only learned that non-straight people actually existed in 2016 or so, and I'm not sure when everyone else here learned about them, but that would go to show how it would be important for kids to be aware of them in the same way they'd be aware of straight relationships at that age if it's desired that non-straight relationships be perceived as no different from straight ones.

I learned non-straight people existed when I was 8 and the other kids started calling me a faggot for not playing or liking sports.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Western Fardelshufflestein
Senator
 
Posts: 4266
Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Molither wrote:Around 16% of my Generation (Gen Z) identify as LGBT according to that survey


I see this as welcome news, in the past people had to keep their sexuality under wraps - human sexuality is more fluid than we’ve been led to believe.

16%? Dang, noice.
Baldwin Park wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
What makes you think it’s just some enclaves?


I don't think Poland or the Southern US would be cool with LGBT people being out.

I think if youre in some rural areas of the US you will get attacked or killed just for existing if they know youre LGBT. I don't think society is as inclusive outside of cosmopolitain areas. Just my experience leads me to believe this.

Oof.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | Rules of the Internet | NSG is Budget Twitter
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Somewhat Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh.
A Very Important PSA | King Alastair IV (UPVOTE TODAY!) | Things King Alastair is Not Allowed to Do | [url=https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1518354Latest Alastair Update[/url]| [url=https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=500170]Write Alastair a Birthday Card[/url]
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 10  April 2021 | WF's User Feeling More Anxious Than Usual, Alleges NationStates Newsfeed | Crown Sends Condolences to British Royal Family Upon Death of Prince Philip

User avatar
Nilokeras
Diplomat
 
Posts: 991
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm

New haven america wrote:
Czechostan wrote:I'm honestly surprised it's that low, but looking at the results across generations, it makes more sense.

People are growing up in a world where the gender binary and heteronormativity are eroding away, so this number will only increase.

LGBT individuals only make up ~1%-3% of most animal populations that reproduce sexually.


What a very specific and suspiciously uniform figure - those are usually correct right?

Wikipedia wrote:One report on sheep found that 8% of rams exhibited homosexual preferences—that is, even when given a choice, they chose male over female partners
...
Mallards have rates of male-male sexual activity that are unusually high for birds, in some cases, as high as 19% of all pairs in a population.
...
In wild little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus), males often mount other males (and females) during late autumn and winter, when many of the mounted individuals are torpid. 35% of matings during this period are homosexual.
...
Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more frequent than heterosexual coupling.[75] In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between 30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in non-combative necking behavior with another male. Only 1% of same-sex mounting incidents occurred between females
...
Roughly 60% of all bonobo sexual activity occurs between two or more females.
...
Ovis aries has attracted much attention due to the fact that around 8–10% of rams have an exclusive homosexual orientation. Such rams prefer to court and mount other rams only, even in the presence of estrous ewes. Moreover, around 18–22% of rams are bisexual.
...
Male homosexuality has been inferred in several species of dragonflies (the order Odonata). The cloacal pinchers of male damselflies and dragonflies inflict characteristic head damage to females during sex. A survey of 11 species of damsel and dragonflies has revealed such mating damages in 20 to 80% of the males too, indicating a fairly high occurrence of sexual coupling between males.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40052
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
New haven america wrote:LGBT individuals only make up ~1%-3% of most animal populations that reproduce sexually.


What a very specific and suspiciously uniform figure - those are usually correct right?

Wikipedia wrote:One report on sheep found that 8% of rams exhibited homosexual preferences—that is, even when given a choice, they chose male over female partners
...
Mallards have rates of male-male sexual activity that are unusually high for birds, in some cases, as high as 19% of all pairs in a population.
...
In wild little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus), males often mount other males (and females) during late autumn and winter, when many of the mounted individuals are torpid. 35% of matings during this period are homosexual.
...
Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more frequent than heterosexual coupling.[75] In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between 30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in non-combative necking behavior with another male. Only 1% of same-sex mounting incidents occurred between females
...
Roughly 60% of all bonobo sexual activity occurs between two or more females.
...
Ovis aries has attracted much attention due to the fact that around 8–10% of rams have an exclusive homosexual orientation. Such rams prefer to court and mount other rams only, even in the presence of estrous ewes. Moreover, around 18–22% of rams are bisexual.
...
Male homosexuality has been inferred in several species of dragonflies (the order Odonata). The cloacal pinchers of male damselflies and dragonflies inflict characteristic head damage to females during sex. A survey of 11 species of damsel and dragonflies has revealed such mating damages in 20 to 80% of the males too, indicating a fairly high occurrence of sexual coupling between males.

It seems you don't understand what the word "Most" means, Bakery.

I hear most ("Most" generally means "Not all, but the vast majority") high schools offer some form of remedial classes for adults. Maybe you could attend one of their English classes sometime? :)
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Czechostan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1171
Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Czechostan wrote:I'm honestly surprised it's that low, but looking at the results across generations, it makes more sense.

People are growing up in a world where the gender binary and heteronormativity are eroding away, so this number will only increase.

LGBT individuals only make up ~1%-3% of most animal populations that reproduce sexually.

Interesting. I don't know that there's a "natural percentage" of LGBT people among humans though, especially given the cross-generational disparity.
"The oldest, shortest words—"yes" and "no"—are those which require the most thought." ~Pythagoras

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Engelfeld, Esalia, German Incelistan, Ifreann, Infected Mushroom, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mestovakia, Picairn, The Huskar Social Union, Valentine Z, Vassenor, Vrijstaat Limburg, Yasuragi

Advertisement

Remove ads