NATION

PASSWORD

Should Hunting for Sport be Banned?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Should Hunting for Sport be Banned?

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:30 pm

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/o ... 16e8c51a58

https://www.startribune.com/hunters-and ... 600026878/

The Wisconsin Wolf hunt ended after only two days due to hunters exceeding the kill target. The Department of Natural Resources closed the season after hunters and trappers had killed 178 wolves, which was 59 more than the state's target of 119. Hunters and trappers exceeded their target in all six of the state's management zones.

These animals were killed not for food or protecting people but for sheer ruthless fun and its utterly despicable.

Hunting for sport is morally and ethically wrong and there is no reason for it. Wolf cubs will now be left without parents and not be able to survive. Packs will be destroyed and whole ecosystems possibly disrupted. Hunting for sport should be outlawed as their is no justification for it. Getting a thrill out of killing a wild animal is disgusting.

Your Thoughts NSG?
Last edited by San Lumen on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1009
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm

In the absence of an ideal world where large predators can be re-introduced across their native range in North America hunting can be a valuable tool of population control for large ungulates and other herbivores that at the moment have few natural predators. Large predator hunts, on the other hand, which are almost solely done for trophies or entertainment rather than food, should be mostly banned as they serve no conservation purpose.

First Nations traditional hunting and foraging practices are also beneficial to maintain, as the total catch and impact even on large predators is usually low and is part of a suite of land management practices that indigenous peoples have maintained for millenia and that have proven to promote ecosystem stability.
Last edited by Nilokeras on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Nilokeras wrote:In the absence of an ideal world where large predators can be re-introduced across their native range in North America hunting can be a valuable tool of population control for large ungulates and other herbivores that at the moment have few natural predators. Large predator hunts, on the other hand, which are almost solely done for trophies or entertainment rather than food, should be mostly banned as they serve no conservation purpose.

First Nations traditional hunting and foraging practices are also beneficial to maintain, as the total catch and impact even on large predators is usually low and is part of a suite of land management practices that indigenous peoples have maintained for millenia and that have proven to promote ecosystem stability.


and this had no benefit other than for someone's sick idea of fun.
Last edited by San Lumen on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2727
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:42 pm

Absolutely. Hunting for sport is cruel entertainment for rich aristocrats who have to inflict pain on suffering on animals once they've gotten tired of doing that to normal people
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP
Honeydewistania (Nation mostly does not represent real life views.)
Hell yeah I'm ancap... ANti-CAPitalist B)

Managing Director of Lazarus
The MT Army Warrior
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling

User avatar
Anatoliyanskiy
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 493
Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Anatoliyanskiy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Unless it's for certain cultural practices, it definitely should. Killing animals to simply kill them and nothing more (not for food or population control) is completely cruel, detrimental to ecosystems and all in all just really despicable. So yes, in most cases it should be banned.
Pro: Environmentalism, Eco-Socialism, Democratic Socialism, Social Democracy,Progressivism, Pro-choice, Pro-LGTBQ+ rights, Immigration, Bernie Sanders,Secularism, Palestine And Israel, Internationalism, Alter-Globalization.
Anti: Conservatism, Traditionalism, Bigotry, TERF movement, Fascism, Stalinism, Totalitarianism, Laissez-faire capitalism, Libertarianism, Bolsonaro, Religious Fundamentalism, Nationalism
We mostly use NS stats. No I don't accept Telegrams.
I'm a Eco-Libertarian Democratic Socialist, or ELDS for short.
Forums that I've posted: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=487988 (dead but useful for info)
Ive been on this site for 1 year. I don't know if this is an accomplishment or just sad.

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/outdoors/wisconsin-wolf-hunt-ends-early-hunters-trappers-exceed-kill-target/89-6f8059e4-ae02-47b3-97cb-1516e8c51a58

https://www.startribune.com/hunters-and ... 600026878/

The Wisconsin Wolf hunt ended after only two days due to hunters exceeding the kill target. The Department of Natural Resources closed the season after hunters and trappers had killed 178 wolves, which was 59 more than the state's target of 119. Hunters and trappers exceeded their target in all six of the state's management zones.

These animals were killed not for food or protecting people but for sheer ruthless fun and its utterly despicable.

Hunting for sport is morally and ethically wrong and there is no reason for it. Wolf cubs will now be left without parents and not be able to survive. Packs will be destroyed and whole ecosystems possibly disrupted. Hunting for sport should be outlawed as their is no justification for it. Getting a thrill out of killing a wild animal is disgusting.

Your Thoughts NSG?

The state allows hunting for conservation purposes, not just because it's fun. Also most hunters do eat what they kill or at least give it to other people to eat, as not doing so is illegal in most places.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:In the absence of an ideal world where large predators can be re-introduced across their native range in North America hunting can be a valuable tool of population control for large ungulates and other herbivores that at the moment have few natural predators. Large predator hunts, on the other hand, which are almost solely done for trophies or entertainment rather than food, should be mostly banned as they serve no conservation purpose.

First Nations traditional hunting and foraging practices are also beneficial to maintain, as the total catch and impact even on large predators is usually low and is part of a suite of land management practices that indigenous peoples have maintained for millenia and that have proven to promote ecosystem stability.


and this had no benefit other than for someone's sick idea of fun.

The reason for the wolf hunt was fears of overpopulation due to federal protections for wolves.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/outdoors/wisconsin-wolf-hunt-ends-early-hunters-trappers-exceed-kill-target/89-6f8059e4-ae02-47b3-97cb-1516e8c51a58

https://www.startribune.com/hunters-and ... 600026878/

The Wisconsin Wolf hunt ended after only two days due to hunters exceeding the kill target. The Department of Natural Resources closed the season after hunters and trappers had killed 178 wolves, which was 59 more than the state's target of 119. Hunters and trappers exceeded their target in all six of the state's management zones.

These animals were killed not for food or protecting people but for sheer ruthless fun and its utterly despicable.

Hunting for sport is morally and ethically wrong and there is no reason for it. Wolf cubs will now be left without parents and not be able to survive. Packs will be destroyed and whole ecosystems possibly disrupted. Hunting for sport should be outlawed as their is no justification for it. Getting a thrill out of killing a wild animal is disgusting.

Your Thoughts NSG?

The state allows hunting for conservation purposes, not just because it's fun. Also most hunters do eat what they kill or at least give it to other people to eat, as not doing so is illegal in most places.


I dont care. Its a travesty to shoot a wild animal causing no harm to you and this was not done for food. There is no reason to hunt wolves or any other wild animal. Let them be.

User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 751
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm

It depends on each case, but of we're talking about all trophy hunting, then no. Income from trophy hunting produce substantial financial benefits of which many conservation efforts depends upon, and is likely to be supported by local communities. Said financial benefits also incentivized local governments to "institutionalize" trophy hunting in the form of conservation parks and protect the animals there from illegal poaching, which is often far more damaging especially in less well-governed places such as Africa.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2033.12.21
 Nippon World | Secretary Pasca: "release Taiwan lmao" if China wants embargo of critical phosphorus lifted, according to tweet // PLA dispatched to crush food riots in 18 Chinese cities amid agricultural collapse in North China due to the 2033 Asian Water Crisis and global shortage of phosphorus-based fertilizer // Skirmishes over Indian dams in Kashmir as the Indus river recorded lowest water levels in 2500 years

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:47 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:The state allows hunting for conservation purposes, not just because it's fun. Also most hunters do eat what they kill or at least give it to other people to eat, as not doing so is illegal in most places.


I dont care. Its a travesty to shoot a wild animal causing no harm to you and this was not done for food. There is no reason to hunt wolves or any other wild animal. Let them be.

If you don't hunt them for conservation purposes, overpopulation will result in dangerous interactions between people and animals (predatory attacks on humans have increased because bear populations have gone up, and the first fatal predatory attacks on humans by wolves and coyotes happened recently), and disease would spread which could potentially be totally destructive on the population and could be transmissible to other species.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
I dont care. Its a travesty to shoot a wild animal causing no harm to you and this was not done for food. There is no reason to hunt wolves or any other wild animal. Let them be.

If you don't hunt them for conservation purposes, overpopulation will result in dangerous interactions between people and animals (predatory attacks on humans have increased because bear populations have gone up, and the first fatal predatory attacks on humans by wolves and coyotes happened recently), and disease would spread which could potentially be totally destructive on the population and could be transmissible to other species.


Yet there is no evidenced of overpopulation and the target was exceeded therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conversation.

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:50 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:If you don't hunt them for conservation purposes, overpopulation will result in dangerous interactions between people and animals (predatory attacks on humans have increased because bear populations have gone up, and the first fatal predatory attacks on humans by wolves and coyotes happened recently), and disease would spread which could potentially be totally destructive on the population and could be transmissible to other species.


Yet there is no evidenced of overpopulation and the target was exceeded therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conversation.

Those statements don't logically follow.

"There is no evidence of overpopulation", from where are you getting this information? That wolves are no longer endangered would seem to suggest otherwise.

"the target was exceeded" yes, "therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conservation", this part doesn't follow, the people hunting wouldn't have known the target was exceeded.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 751
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
I dont care. Its a travesty to shoot a wild animal causing no harm to you and this was not done for food. There is no reason to hunt wolves or any other wild animal. Let them be.

If you don't hunt them for conservation purposes, overpopulation will result in dangerous interactions between people and animals (predatory attacks on humans have increased because bear populations have gone up, and the first fatal predatory attacks on humans by wolves and coyotes happened recently), and disease would spread which could potentially be totally destructive on the population and could be transmissible to other species.

Or more likely, such threat will incentivize the local population to hunt them for non-sport purposes. Especially if they start threatening local farms or whatnot.

2033.12.21
 Nippon World | Secretary Pasca: "release Taiwan lmao" if China wants embargo of critical phosphorus lifted, according to tweet // PLA dispatched to crush food riots in 18 Chinese cities amid agricultural collapse in North China due to the 2033 Asian Water Crisis and global shortage of phosphorus-based fertilizer // Skirmishes over Indian dams in Kashmir as the Indus river recorded lowest water levels in 2500 years

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:52 pm

And even if it were true in this specific instance, it still wouldn't be a valuable condemnation of sport-hunting overall, which is done for conservation the vast majority of the time. Moreover, sport hunting is a huge boon for many poor countries which otherwise would have little means of attracting foreign capital.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:52 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Yet there is no evidenced of overpopulation and the target was exceeded therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conversation.

Those statements don't logically follow.

"There is no evidence of overpopulation", from where are you getting this information? That wolves are no longer endangered would seem to suggest otherwise.

"the target was exceeded" yes, "therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conservation", this part doesn't follow, the people hunting wouldn't have known the target was exceeded.

They became endangered because of hunting.

Nature has other ways of controlling populations. Humans should not be mindlessly killing beautiful creatures on the off chance a disease could spread. Perhaps we should stop encroaching on forests?

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:52 pm

Resilient Acceleration wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:If you don't hunt them for conservation purposes, overpopulation will result in dangerous interactions between people and animals (predatory attacks on humans have increased because bear populations have gone up, and the first fatal predatory attacks on humans by wolves and coyotes happened recently), and disease would spread which could potentially be totally destructive on the population and could be transmissible to other species.

Or more likely, such threat will incentivize the local population to hunt them for non-sport purposes. Especially if they start threatening local farms or whatnot.

The law doesn't distinguish between hunting for sport purposes or non-sport purposes, the state still has to legalize you hunting them or at least give you permission specifically for it.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8075
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:53 pm

NO.
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Those statements don't logically follow.

"There is no evidence of overpopulation", from where are you getting this information? That wolves are no longer endangered would seem to suggest otherwise.

"the target was exceeded" yes, "therefore people were doing this for a sick thrill and not for conservation", this part doesn't follow, the people hunting wouldn't have known the target was exceeded.

They became endangered because of hunting.

Nature has other ways of controlling populations. Humans should not be mindlessly killing beautiful creatures on the off chance a disease could spread. Perhaps we should stop encroaching on forests?

"on the off chance disease has spread", this is just plain ignorance, did you know that Deer in the United States are facing a devastating pandemic that could wipe out the entire deer population in North America, and that one of the reasons it is spreading is because of an inadequate amount of hunting?
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Punished UMN wrote:And even if it were true in this specific instance, it still wouldn't be a valuable condemnation of sport-hunting overall, which is done for conservation the vast majority of the time. Moreover, sport hunting is a huge boon for many poor countries which otherwise would have little means of attracting foreign capital.


Don;t care. Hunting for sport is totally unacceptable and morally wrong.

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 3426
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:55 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:And even if it were true in this specific instance, it still wouldn't be a valuable condemnation of sport-hunting overall, which is done for conservation the vast majority of the time. Moreover, sport hunting is a huge boon for many poor countries which otherwise would have little means of attracting foreign capital.


Don;t care. Hunting for sport is totally unacceptable and morally wrong.

So are a lot of things, there's still situations where many of them are justifiable. Having a rigidly Kantian sense of morality where everything that is immoral can never be done ever no matter the consequences is not a useful moral code.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Prudish. Low-key bisexual. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on in it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8075
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:55 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:And even if it were true in this specific instance, it still wouldn't be a valuable condemnation of sport-hunting overall, which is done for conservation the vast majority of the time. Moreover, sport hunting is a huge boon for many poor countries which otherwise would have little means of attracting foreign capital.


Don;t care. Hunting for sport is totally unacceptable and morally wrong.

No it isn't.
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58040
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Don;t care. Hunting for sport is totally unacceptable and morally wrong.

No it isn't.


Why is killing an animal not harming you not morally and ethically wrong? Some of those wolves killed likely had cubs who now will not be able to survive.

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1009
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
and this had no benefit other than for someone's sick idea of fun.

The reason for the wolf hunt was fears of overpopulation due to federal protections for wolves.


There's also unfortunately a conflict of interest at work here too. In states like Montana for example, much of the landscape (particularly federal lands out West) is leased to ranchers for sheep and cattle grazing. Ranchers get upset when they lose sheep, but that's also the natural consequence of allowing your animals to graze freely in wilderness where wolves can disperse from source populations in Canada. Should we cull wolves because ranchers are upset that letting their animals free sometimes leads to predation?

User avatar
Shov Scien
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: May 29, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Shov Scien » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm

I grew up in a small town literally surrounded by thick forest on all sides, and it was well known that there was all kinds of bears and wolves and the like out there-but the way it's always been there is you only kill what you plan to eat. Hunting for sport just doesn't make sense logically, much less ethically or environmentally.
I always thought that you shouldn't take pride in the act of killing, even if you do need it for food or pelts or bones or whatever. The act of taking another creature's life to ensure the continuation of your own should be done only out of necessity, and when it is, it should be done with respect for the creature and the death you have caused. To hunt for sport is the worst possible thing you could extend this to; killing just to kill, with no concern for the ecological damage it may do or the effects of the act. How many animals could have eaten this thing you have killed out of necessity? How many children did it depend on? It is an action that bears great consequences for which we could not possibly answer.
Yes, it should be banned, and those who hunt out of necessity should be provided education on how to hunt responsibly and to mind the consequences of the act of killing. Many people depend on the hunting of wild animals to survive, but it's not necessary especially when you consider the cost and availability of food within western nations like the United States where this took place. No need to kill, and no excuse for this kind of mindless, needless genocide.
....EVER VIGILANT.....
/ Please excuse the mess! This nation's lore and information is still under construction. Thank you for your patience! /
If I post in a thread that my factbooks are too unfinished to properly interact with me in, you're allowed to yell at me.

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8075
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:00 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:No it isn't.


Why is killing an animal not harming you not morally and ethically wrong? Some of those wolves killed likely had cubs who now will not be able to survive.

According to whose morals and ethics? It isn't universal and completely subjective.
If you need to interject emotion into it, the argument isn't very sound.
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CoraSpia, Dakini, Enway, Greater Miami Shores, Infected Mushroom, Kanadorika, Majestic-12 [Bot], Osburga, Resilient Acceleration, Shrillland, Solarampa, The Blaatschapen, Toerana, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads