NATION

PASSWORD

(r) political nicknaming in rush Limbaugh thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

(r) political nicknaming in rush Limbaugh thread

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am

viewtopic.php?p=38351336#p38351336

Calling the nazis "not-sees"
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:10 am

I hate having to bump this :(

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Just adding onto this a post I saw at the top of the most recent page:

"I like that Rush's claims that tobacco is harmless, earned him the rebuke of lung cancer."

viewtopic.php?p=38358944#p38358944

They blatantly assert their enjoyment of the fact that somebody went through a painful death.
Last edited by Fedel on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Actual quote in case of editing:

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:I like that Rush's claims that tobacco is harmless, earned him the rebuke of lung cancer. Though towards the end he only smoked cigars: mouth cancer would have been more apt.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm

CoraSpia wrote:Actual quote in case of editing:

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:I like that Rush's claims that tobacco is harmless, earned him the rebuke of lung cancer. Though towards the end he only smoked cigars: mouth cancer would have been more apt.

But... You would know it if it was edited. Because the words are there for you to compare with the original statement to see if there's a difference...

Bruh moment.
Last edited by Fedel on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Bump :meh:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:03 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=38351336#p38351336

Calling the nazis "not-sees"

I don't see "Nazis/Not-sees" as trolling. I did warn that guy for the post immediately after that one, where he wishes death on people.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Fedel wrote:Just adding onto this a post I saw at the top of the most recent page:

"I like that Rush's claims that tobacco is harmless, earned him the rebuke of lung cancer."

They blatantly assert their enjoyment of the fact that somebody went through a painful death.

viewtopic.php?p=38374231#p38374231
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 am

Fedel wrote:Just adding onto this a post I saw at the top of the most recent page:

Dear Moderators: I put it to you that this is a clear case of the Power to Report (the only roles in which one can escape Spamming Moderation unless directly involved in the alleged offense, or BRINGING non-obvious evidence) being abused to Prosecute another poster. Ie, me. That is not just a report: the reporter presumes to lecture Moderation on how and why my supposedly "blatant" offense really means something different from what it says.

I understand that is not currently a moderation forum offense. But I say again that it should be.

There's another thing here, which I am actually reporting. I shouldn't have to, frankly. But my status with Moderation is so low, that other posters can commit offences against me IN THE MODERATION FORUM, and it passes without even reproach. Not one word, just a link to where Fedel's Report was upheld.

The charge is Malicious Quote Editing. (In Moderation, in a report, both aggravating factors). Conviction on this charge would for my mind prove the case the poster was Prosecuting me in Moderation, though again, I'm not claiming that is an offense, yet.

Anticipating the Prosecutor's defense (as I must since Moderation is obviously not going to wait for me to wake up before proceeding to judgement), yes it seems likely they couldn't copy-paste the post into this Moderation thread, since the thread was locked. But this does not excuse manually quoting only half of my rather short post. That the Reporter was being prosecutorial, ie themselves trying to prove me guilty in a "court" where I am not entitled to speak in my own defense, before judgement, AND that their quote editing was Malicious, is clearly established by them "not bothering" to pull their mouse or caret down one more line, yet adding quote marks, italics and two underlines. Leaving some of my post out could easily be excused as laziness or computer incompetence, but putting effort in to "help" moderators see what is so horribly offensive about my post, gives the lie to that. The only plausible intent of the way my post was edited, was to make it look worse at first sight, to whichever Moderator has the duty of dealing with the Report.

If a post edit, clearly made deliberately, also has the obvious motivation of getting the victim in trouble with Moderation, how can it NOT be Malicious Quote Editing?
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am

Fedel 's post is not malicious quote editing. It highlights the relevant parts that they believe are actionable.

You need to get over your increasing paranoia about moderators and other players being out to get you. The problem is with you and your unwillingness to follow the rules.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 am

Sedgistan wrote:Fedel 's post is not malicious quote editing. It highlights the relevant parts that they believe are actionable.

You need to get over your increasing paranoia about moderators and other players being out to get you. The problem is with you and your unwillingness to follow the rules.

Leaving half of my post out, for no evident reason than to "highlight" the other half of it ... would be justifiable if my post was a page long. It was not. I repeat, the excuses of laziness or incompetence, are ruled out by the added emphasis Fedel put on parts of what they did quote. If this was NOT malicious, perhaps Fedel should be invited to explain why they left parts out to make my post look worse.

I would also appreciate if moderators not speculate about my mental health. Thanks.

Second opinion please.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 am

Second opinion: Fedel's post is *NOT* Malicious Quote Editing. The relevant parts of your post that required highlighting were quoted, and highlighted as is proper under the rules.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:10 am

Well that's predictably disappointing. Another mod ruling a report to be entirely in order, because no matter what they do, a reporting poster cannot ever bias a godlike moderator's opinion before said moderator has even read the post. Since there's no risk of that, reporters can blaze away with edits, italics, underlines and whatever prosecutorial "paraphrase" they want. All these things would be ruled as spamming moderation, flaming in moderation even, if they were not introduced under the guise of a law-abiding poster doing their duty and "reporting" a suspected offense.

I thought it was a perfect precedent case, to illustrate the ills of allowing one common poster to prosecute another, in Moderation, when there is obviously no right of the other poster to speak in their defense before judgement is passed. No, don't point out they have the right of appeal. We can also see what a flimsy and inadequate right that is. You let posters have the first word, but you do not allow other posters they are accusing, say even one word in their own defense. You rule. Then the convicted person has to defend, not just against one of their peers, but against a Moderator who has made their ruling.

Maybe it was the perfect precedent case. Even when a poster commits an enumerated offense in the process of prosecuting another poster Mods can't see any harm in it. You all try so hard to not be influenced by the tone or content of the report, that you're literally blind to it. You think that makes you immune to the attempts of reporters to influence your decision? On the absolute contrary: it makes you unaware of the great injustice which is prosecution without defense.

OK. Not expecting any reply to that. Injustice is blind.

Balticonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Balticonia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:16 am

If they had really been out to get you and biased against you, they would have taken action on that post. I don't see why you are complaining about how a post was shown to the moderators when they chose not to do anything about it.
Experienced roleplayer from Lezra, an alternate world. Former WA Delegate. Very detailed history.
Current (non-canon) roleplay: War of Spanish Succession
Slightly outdated national factbook
The Great Austrontan Wars, my best factbook
Kings of Balticonia

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:40 am

Balticonia wrote:If they had really been out to get you and biased against you, they would have taken action on that post. I don't see why you are complaining about how a post was shown to the moderators when they chose not to do anything about it.

Please be aware of how to use Moderation: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51022
I'll leave it at an unofficial warning for spamming Moderation for now, but be more mindful in the future. Thank you.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation