NATION

PASSWORD

San Francisco may rename school named for Washington

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:51 am

The rename effort is canceled. Seems the more pressing need is reopening the schools.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sa ... e-n1258649
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:15 am

The Black Forrest wrote:The rename effort is canceled. Seems the more pressing need is reopening the schools.

Delayed, not canceled.
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:29 am

Umeria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:The rename effort is canceled. Seems the more pressing need is reopening the schools.

Delayed, not canceled.

Delayed is a nice way to say canceled without having to admit anything.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Umeria wrote:Delayed, not canceled.

Do you think the names won't be changed?
Author of GAR #389

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:55 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Umeria wrote:Delayed, not canceled.

No. If they had genuinely cancelled it, it would be best for them to admit it right away. Their supporters would think "damn we lost that one" and be in no doubt they will find plenty of opponents to blame before turning on the council. And their opponents would stop hammering them, because it's better to let it rest then bring it up when elections are due.

Delayed means delayed. Put on indefinite hold. They so plainly lost that they're retreating. But for some reason they think it's worth trying again.

If I was really opposed to their renaming program, I wouldn't be complacent now. Among the schools there are probably a few named after more obscure scumbags (locals most likely) and if they can build a better case, even for just one or two, they might rename a school after Martin Luther King or Rodney King (LA not SF, but you get the idea). Measured by schools renamed that's in no way a victory, but symbolically it would be.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:31 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:But for some reason they think it's worth trying again.

Of course it is, when the pandemic's over. That's their whole argument. People in SF would support changing the names if it weren't for more pressing matters.

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:If I was really opposed to their renaming program, I wouldn't be complacent now. Among the schools there are probably a few named after more obscure scumbags (locals most likely) and if they can build a better case, even for just one or two, they might rename a school after Martin Luther King or Rodney King (LA not SF, but you get the idea). Measured by schools renamed that's in no way a victory, but symbolically it would be.

A victory for what? The secret anti-name agenda?

There's no conspiracy here. The name changes were a minor procedural matter that the board used to stall for time. It's like if they spent a bunch of time on repainting the buildings. It's irresponsible to prioritize it during a pandemic, but that doesn't mean the repainting itself is bad.
Author of GAR #389

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 am

George Washington was more important to the United States than anyone else and renaming schools that are named after him is nothing short of anti-patriotism and pathetic guilt for the life of a 18th century man.

Granted, this is California, so anti-patriotism and white guilt is guaranteed.

I don’t really care though, I’m not American so whatever.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:49 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:George Washington was more important to the United States than anyone else and renaming schools that are named after him is nothing short of anti-patriotism and pathetic guilt for the life of a 18th century man.

What if the new name was Ben Franklin, would it still be anti-patriotic

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Granted, this is California, so anti-patriotism and white guilt is guaranteed.

It really sucks that this ridiculous narrative about California has become so widespread.
Author of GAR #389

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:49 am

Umeria wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:But for some reason they think it's worth trying again.

Of course it is, when the pandemic's over. That's their whole argument. People in SF would support changing the names if it weren't for more pressing matters.

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:If I was really opposed to their renaming program, I wouldn't be complacent now. Among the schools there are probably a few named after more obscure scumbags (locals most likely) and if they can build a better case, even for just one or two, they might rename a school after Martin Luther King or Rodney King (LA not SF, but you get the idea). Measured by schools renamed that's in no way a victory, but symbolically it would be.

A victory for what? The secret anti-name agenda?

There's no conspiracy here. The name changes were a minor procedural matter that the board used to stall for time. It's like if they spent a bunch of time on repainting the buildings. It's irresponsible to prioritize it during a pandemic, but that doesn't mean the repainting itself is bad.

Repainting the buildings while students aren't there would make sense, actually.

My point is that renaming 2 buildings (that had particularly bad names) would still be success. Just not very successful compared to the 44 they tried to rename ... the first time.

And that's why they're "delaying" instead of "cancelling".
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:08 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:George Washington was more important to the United States than anyone else and renaming schools that are named after him is nothing short of anti-patriotism and pathetic guilt for the life of a 18th century man. <snip>

Say you had 44 schools under your personal jurisdiction. And in their wisdom, whoever held your job 30 years ago named all 44 of the schools George Washington (Primary/Middle/High) School.

Why would they do that? It doesn't matter. People in the past named schools, and you don't have a time machine, so there's nowt you can do about history.

Are you going to rename any of the schools? Or allow patriotism so hyperbolic that nobody in the city can tell the schools apart by name, stand? People out there are calling schools "the yellow school" or "the old school" or even some play on Washington's name, because people all using the same name for 44 different things isn't going to work.

If people won't actually use the names, doesn't it seem time to change some names so that at least some of them have that quality which words sometimes have, of referring to a specific singular thing or person?

Also, does or does not naming every school in a city after Washington, actually seem a bit disrespectful to his memory? A bit North Korea-like?

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:08 am

Umeria wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:George Washington was more important to the United States than anyone else and renaming schools that are named after him is nothing short of anti-patriotism and pathetic guilt for the life of a 18th century man.

What if the new name was Ben Franklin, would it still be anti-patriotic

Ben Franklin is a step down from the nigh legendary icon that is George Washington, but Franklin is a preferable choice to anyone of a lesser status and importance to American history and national identity.

Umeria wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:Granted, this is California, so anti-patriotism and white guilt is guaranteed.

It really sucks that this ridiculous narrative about California has become so widespread.

Blame California for creating it.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:George Washington was more important to the United States than anyone else and renaming schools that are named after him is nothing short of anti-patriotism and pathetic guilt for the life of a 18th century man. <snip>

Say you had 44 schools under your personal jurisdiction. And in their wisdom, whoever held your job 30 years ago named all 44 of the schools George Washington (Primary/Middle/High) School.

Why would they do that? It doesn't matter. People in the past named schools, and you don't have a time machine, so there's nowt you can do about history.

Are you going to rename any of the schools? Or allow patriotism so hyperbolic that nobody in the city can tell the schools apart by name, stand? People out there are calling schools "the yellow school" or "the old school" or even some play on Washington's name, because people all using the same name for 44 different things isn't going to work.

If people won't actually use the names, doesn't it seem time to change some names so that at least some of them have that quality which words sometimes have, of referring to a specific singular thing or person?

Also, does or does not naming every school in a city after Washington, actually seem a bit disrespectful to his memory? A bit North Korea-like?

Renaming schools for practicality is perfectly fine in my book. I’d personally rename each school after someone of great importance to my nation’s history and culture, so that they don’t get mixed up - but only with the support of the students and staff. Renaming schools for ideological reasons I do not support.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Umeria wrote:What if the new name was Ben Franklin, would it still be anti-patriotic

Ben Franklin is a step down from the nigh legendary icon that is George Washington, but Franklin is a preferable choice to anyone of a lesser status and importance to American history and national identity.

Sez you.

Washington became famous by directing the killing of a bunch of Brits. He was also one of the lesser Founding Fathers. But after that he was a timid President who arguably wasn't validly elected either time (essentially no opposition) and the most patriotic act of his life was to decline the third term which would also have been handed to him for nothing. Then he lived on his farm with his hundred-odd slaves and died richer than any other President in history (including Trump, considering inflation).

Whereas Ben Franklin liked to get drunk and stoned, he invented the pot-belly stove and the cow-catcher, he never owned slaves, and was all-round a top bloke.

If it was up to me, there would be MORE things named after the goofy inventor and gentle intellectual influencer, than named after the slave-owning billionaire who rose to fame by mongering a war!

(Not entirely serious, but I do think we should take marks of anyone who "won" a war.)

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

Sez you.

Washington became famous by directing the killing of a bunch of Brits. He was also one of the lesser Founding Fathers. But after that he was a timid President who arguably wasn't validly elected either time (essentially no opposition) and the most patriotic act of his life was to decline the third term which would also have been handed to him for nothing. Then he lived on his farm with his hundred-odd slaves and died richer than any other President in history (including Trump, considering inflation).

Whereas Ben Franklin liked to get drunk and stoned, he invented the pot-belly stove and the cow-catcher, he never owned slaves, and was all-round a top bloke.

If it was up to me, there would be MORE things named after the goofy inventor and gentle intellectual influencer, than named after the slave-owning billionaire who rose to fame by mongering a war!

(Not entirely serious, but I do think we should take marks of anyone who "won" a war.)

Slave owning war leader or not, George Washington is still the greatest icon of the United States. It wouldn’t be my concern whether or not people get upset at the fact he wasn’t a man of the modern United States and had a few skeletons in his closet.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:33 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

Renaming schools for practicality is perfectly fine in my book. I’d personally rename each school after someone of great importance to my nation’s history and culture, so that they don’t get mixed up - but only with the support of the students and staff. Renaming schools for ideological reasons I do not support.

Well that's almost perfectly my position! Except I'd avoid the "every town is the same" vibe by only naming the most important things after national heroes. Everything else would be named after local (maybe State) heroes. So they never hit the world stage, they don't get things named after them in any other town, but they did something for the history of people who live here. I think that matters.

Support of the students and staff is also very important. Some students are going to be too young, or uninterested, so mom or dad vote for them. Yeah, vote, but let's not disagree on that.

A student's reason is an ideological reason. It's maybe too vague or confused to be organized ideology, but we've all got ideology. Semantics perhaps, I know what you mean. I doubt the people who elected the board were thinking of mass renaming as the only achievement in a term; some ideology has obviously been added to what the voters wanted.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:Repainting the buildings while students aren't there would make sense, actually.

My point is that renaming 2 buildings (that had particularly bad names) would still be success. Just not very successful compared to the 44 they tried to rename ... the first time.

And that's why they're "delaying" instead of "cancelling".

What do you mean by "success"? It's not like they're keeping score. Also they will likely rename all 44, or perhaps 39 or 40 out of those 44.

Umeria wrote:It really sucks that this ridiculous narrative about California has become so widespread.

Blame California for creating it.

The right created it, out of thin air I might add.
Author of GAR #389

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am

Umeria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Do you think the names won't be changed?

They have in the past. It’s just a priority thing. There are bigger issues to handle.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

Sez you.

GW wasn't a billionare, and he didn't start the war. Unfortunately, he owned slaves, which I do not and will never defend--but he wasn't 100% bad.

Slavery is a disgusting practice, and shouldn't be condoned, but I'm just saying that GW wasn't all horrible.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:11 am

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Sez you.

GW wasn't a billionare, and he didn't start the war. Unfortunately, he owned slaves, which I do not and will never defend--but he wasn't 100% bad.

Slavery is a disgusting practice, and shouldn't be condoned, but I'm just saying that GW wasn't all horrible.
I mean
By all accounts, he helped kick off the French & Indian War (though you could make an argument that it was part of a longer trend and the individual commander wasn’t responsible)
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 am

Kowani wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:GW wasn't a billionare, and he didn't start the war. Unfortunately, he owned slaves, which I do not and will never defend--but he wasn't 100% bad.

I mean
By all accounts, he helped kick off the French & Indian War (though you could make an argument that it was part of a longer trend and the individual commander wasn’t responsible)

I have heard that before. He probably did have a role in it, but I'd need to do some investigating.
Last edited by Western Fardelshufflestein on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Sez you.

Indeed. He inherited 11 from his father and had 35ish by the time of his marriage. Martha brought the majority.

It’s fascinating the outrage over beliefs of over 200 years ago which we would not accept today....well at least in servant form. Financial slaves is another discussion.

You would think more emphasis in bettering black America would be the better effort. Employment, education, sentencing laws, police brutality....

I guess we can get concerned if GW’s images start showing up at alt-right protests.....

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:30 am

Kowani wrote:I mean

I have heard that before. He probably did have a role in it, but I'd need to do some investigating.

He literally led the military expedition that kicked off the war lmao
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:27 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:I guess we can get concerned if GW’s images start showing up at alt-right protests.....

In my opinion that isn't the main concern. The problem isn't that Washington was some fringe hardliner; quite the opposite. It's the fact that Washington's views on slavery were normal, mainstream beliefs at the time. An entire society that accepts the idea of slavery is much worse than just one person doing so.
Author of GAR #389

New Jeromia
Attaché

Founded: Oct 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jeromia » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread here, but I recently found out about this through YouTube recommendations I believe (which are always late). I wanted to point out Feinstein's "crime" here because it's actually quite ridiculous. Basically, in the 80s, somebody vandalized a part of a city building dedicated to southern heritage, and defiled the Confederate flag. Feinstein, hearing about this, wanted the flag to be replaced, which was ultimately forgotten about and never happened. Because of this mishap, her name is being removed from schools. Yes, because she wanted to clean the flag 40 years ago. I guess the cancellers are cancelling themselves now, because she's definitely liberal.

I live in Columbus, Ohio, and our school district is doing a similar thing, but we're renaming any sort of mascot which might represent a group of people. This of course includes Native American names, which I'm fine with removing, but also is extended to names like vikings and Scots, which nobody has an issue with. It's sad to see both of these school districts waste taxpayer money on the little things, when both have not been open to most kids for a year. Couldn't the money be better spent on air filtration systems and cleaning supplies?
Democracy, capitalism, free speech, Joe Biden, universal healthcare, human rights, police, prison reform, multiculturalism
Fascism, socialism, communism, cancel culture, Donald Trump, alt-left & alt-right, divided politics
New Jeromia is the most free nation in the world!

New Jeromia is a large nation which takes up most of the Jeromian Peninsula. This nation follows my IRL views mostly, and is modeled after the real life countries of the US, Japan, South Korea, and probably France too.

This is a micro nation I made: Komejo Zikorzo
My other nation (made to oppress people): Nickodia

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:09 am

New Jeromia wrote:I guess the cancellers are cancelling themselves now, because she's definitely liberal.

No? Feinstein voted for the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, and the Bush tax cuts. She opposes single payer healthcare and the green new deal. She's quite conservative.

New Jeromia wrote:Couldn't the money be better spent on air filtration systems and cleaning supplies?

It is; they recently decided to prioritize a safe reopening.
Author of GAR #389

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General