NATION

PASSWORD

Green energy and sustainability is...“boring...???”

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Environmentalism... “boring?”

It has a reputation for being boring, I don’t find it boring myself
64%
It has a reputation for being boring, I find it boring too
8%
There’s no reputation for being boring, environmentalism is widely considered to be a cool, hip, relevant issue that’s gladly discussed in most settings
28%

Total votes : 36

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Well is it?

Theoretically, the survival of the planet is possibly at stake.

Yet try talking to someone about environmentalism, green energy, sustainability and so forth and there’s a good chance you’ll be considered a bit of a bore. For whatever reason, the topic is considered to be “boring” by lots of people... even though it will determine the future. It’s strange and paradoxical. This reminds me of several college classes where the professors liked to bring up environmental issues. In every one of these instances, aside from a few classmates who were really into it, a lot of people appeared bored. When pressed they said: “Well... the prof is probably right. The planet is in trouble and we may need to do something. But I don’t want to hear about it.

So what do you think?

Has environmentalism and environmental issues (including recycling and green energy) been unfairly branded as “boring”? Is it a bore to you personally? If you’re at a party or on a date and someone decides to start an environmental discussion, would you view this as boring? Why or why not?

I would say it has a reputation for being a boring topic (though largely unearned). It isn’t supposed to be boring since it could determine our survival as a species, but it gets a reputation for being an uninteresting topic somehow.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 pm

I find green energy interesting because I invest in it. Money can be interesting. Plus solar panels came from the space program and space based solar power is pretty interesting.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 pm

Sometimes the most crucial and pressing topics are the most...boring. I worked for an environmental lobbying group for a while. Trying to package the crisis as less "sleep-inducing" was agonizingly hard, even among left-wing college kids and generic Southwestern hippies.

The point is, I think to a point, it's inevitable that hard science and the soul-crushing reality of the climate crisis isn't supposed to be packaged or presented in a fun fashion. It just can't be. Similar to how there are always a few topics comedians can't milk jokes out of, the climate crisis is a political topic tough to poke fun at.

And that's okay. If existential dread is enough motivation for people to get serious about this shit, then so be it.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Deacarsia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 pm

“Green energy” and “sustainability” are absurd on their face.

If green energy has such promise and potential, then the market would allocate resources toward developing it on its own, seizing it as an occasion for profit.

Furthermore, a market economy by its nature is sustainable, as even were resources to start running out, then the price simply would rise. This in turn would encourage more efficient resource usage as well as the exploration of alternatives.

Coupled with the fact that increased economic development by its nature produces more output per unit input (as implied by the word economize), which in turn increases the effective supply of resources, this makes the whole notion of “sustainability” as presently understood simply ridiculous.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:07 pm

People don't say "I don't want to hear about it" because they're bored, they say it because they're terrified and don't know how to deal with that (and then rationalize it away as just "oh it's boring haha")
Last edited by Senkaku on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm

I thought that environmentalism became sexy 23 months ago :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:29 pm

Now for one of the sexiest things in the world... stats! :p

Most people around the world do see climate change as a major threat: 90% in Greece, 86% in South Korea, 83% in France, 81% in Spain, 80% in Mexico, 75% in Japan, 73% in Argentina, 72%in Brazil, 71% in Germany, Italy and Kenya, 70% in the Netherlands, 69% in Sweden, 67% in the Philippines, 66% in Hungary, Canada and the UK... (this is not the whole list and does not include those who see it as somewhat important)

Another global survey shows people love green energy (when asked: “How important do you think it is to create a world fully powered by renewable energy (by this we mean energy is produced in a way where there is limited or no impact on the climate)?”): 84% in Canada, 83% in the USA, 82% in the UK, 83% in Denmark, 80% in Sweden, 81% in the Netherlands, 83% in France, 84% in Germany, 80% in Poland, 73% in Japan, 77% in South Korea, 89% in Taiwan...

So, it seems that large percentages of people recognise the importance of climate change and of green energy in tackling it.

And, no green energy is not boring. It's vital for the future of the planet. I think they used to get that reputation, but I think fewer people buy into that stereotype now.

Major-Tom wrote:Sometimes the most crucial and pressing topics are the most...boring. I worked for an environmental lobbying group for a while. Trying to package the crisis as less "sleep-inducing" was agonizingly hard, even among left-wing college kids and generic Southwestern hippies.

The point is, I think to a point, it's inevitable that hard science and the soul-crushing reality of the climate crisis isn't supposed to be packaged or presented in a fun fashion. It just can't be. Similar to how there are always a few topics comedians can't milk jokes out of, the climate crisis is a political topic tough to poke fun at.

And that's okay. If existential dread is enough motivation for people to get serious about this shit, then so be it.

I think boredom and existential dread are different sensations, though.

Boredom says more, "I cannot be arsed; yawn". Existential dread is more "does anything matter; what is the point to all this".

You can tap into existential dread and help people figure out small things that make a difference, IMO. When people are bored and unengaged -- perhaps because (although this is, as highlighted above, is becoming a much rarer phenomenon) they don't see climate change as an issue -- that's harder to tap into to encourage people to make a difference.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:34 pm

Lets just say its the boring stuff we have to get good at to some extent. We don't need most people to become masters of chemistry, just some or enough of them to make a real difference. If people get really good at removing Carbon in general, most of the problem is arguably resolved. Asides from figuring out the economics and making it so the solutions scale well.

Even if fossil fuels aren't used for energy anymore out of necessity, there is perhaps enough of a future in extracting hydrogen from such substances. If most of it is all hydrocarbons. The hydrogen portion is clean and poses no problems. Its the carbon component we want to solidify or ensure it stays in the ground.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 pm

I think if you're the kind of person who thinks a wind turbine or solar cells are boring I seriously doubt you'd actually be that interested in talking about a diesel engine.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 pm

Heloin wrote:I think if you're the kind of person who thinks a wind turbine or solar cells are boring I seriously doubt you'd actually be that interested in talking about a diesel engine.

I don't find environmental issues boring. I wouldn't talk about the finer points of a diesel engine unless you paid me.

For starters, beyond "does it run", I have nothing to say.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Indian Genius
Attaché

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Indian Genius » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:49 pm

Heloin wrote:I think if you're the kind of person who thinks a wind turbine or solar cells are boring I seriously doubt you'd actually be that interested in talking about a diesel engine.

Best point yet.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Deacarsia wrote:“Green energy” and “sustainability” are absurd on their face.

If green energy has such promise and potential, then the market would allocate resources toward developing it on its own, seizing it as an occasion for profit.

Furthermore, a market economy by its nature is sustainable, as even were resources to start running out, then the price simply would rise. This in turn would encourage more efficient resource usage as well as the exploration of alternatives.

Coupled with the fact that increased economic development by its nature produces more output per unit input (as implied by the word economize), which in turn increases the effective supply of resources, this makes the whole notion of “sustainability” as presently understood simply ridiculous.

You do realize you're explaining why capitalism is absurd and not in the slightest giving reasons why green energy and sustainability are, right?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

I don't find environmental issues boring. I wouldn't talk about the finer points of a diesel engine unless you paid me.

Let me introduce you to Fun with a capital F!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:55 pm

Heloin wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I don't find environmental issues boring. I wouldn't talk about the finer points of a diesel engine unless you paid me.

Let me introduce you to Fun with a capital F!

What does the stopcock do?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:56 pm

Tinhampton wrote:I thought that environmentalism became sexy 23 months ago :P

It did? Why 23 months?

Indian Genius
Attaché

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Indian Genius » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Let me introduce you to Fun with a capital F!

That's the point. People who are supposed to be interested in things will always be interested. And those who aren't supposed to, won't.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 pm

There are aspects of green energy and sustainability that are extremely boring, and that is when you run up against competing government departments and trying to align them on doing anything to change. For example, as something I've noted before, it's very hard for me to simply get a solar panel for my house. I need to speak to the buildings department, the environment department, the tax department among a bunch of others.

I have come to feel that major inertia lies in government regulation here, and what it really requires is different departments to get straight on easing the ability to actually go green.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 am

Bombadil wrote:There are aspects of green energy and sustainability that are extremely boring, and that is when you run up against competing government departments and trying to align them on doing anything to change. For example, as something I've noted before, it's very hard for me to simply get a solar panel for my house. I need to speak to the buildings department, the environment department, the tax department among a bunch of others.

I have come to feel that major inertia lies in government regulation here, and what it really requires is different departments to get straight on easing the ability to actually go green.

I suppose...

For I can’t imagine anyone living here (except maybe the super rich) setting up a solar panel for their residence
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Let me introduce you to Fun with a capital F!

Stops the passage of liquid, in this case diesel, through a pipe when you don't want it to go through. Like Indian is clarifying for me environmental technologies is no more or less boring then any other technology.

I understand that other people find the bureaucratic side of environmental legislation uninteresting, but that's just to do with the fact most people find bureaucratic paperwork deeply boring.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 am

Talking about the opposite, the fossil fuel economy, is certainly not boring. The oil glut was disastrous with people being fired left and right, and then last year has been doom and gloom for the global oil industry. With profit prospects rapidly dryimg out, a future business environment of increasingly pro-environmental national governments isn't good news either.

I would even say that today, the oil sector is one if not the worst sector you can possibly choose as a career choice. I mean, there isn't a lot of industry where a big chunk of voters and government officials are actively out there to destroy you, while at the same time subsidizing your competitors. You also have things like China, where transitioning to nuclear and renewables is a matter of national security since 80% of Chinese energy currently came from US-controlled supply routes.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:05 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Stops the passage of liquid, in this case diesel, through a pipe when you don't want it to go through. Like Indian is clarifying for me environmental technologies is no more or less boring then any other technology.

I understand that other people find the bureaucratic side of environmental legislation uninteresting, but that's just to do with the fact most people find bureaucratic paperwork deeply boring.

I am very impressed with this post (assuming you did not Google). :)

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:06 am

Resilient Acceleration wrote:Talking about the opposite, the fossil fuel economy, is certainly not boring. The oil glut was disastrous with people being fired left and right, and then last year has been doom and gloom for the global oil industry. Future prospects of increasingly pro-environmental governments isn't good news either.

I would even say that today, the oil sector is one if not the worst sector you can possibly choose a career choice. I mean, there isn't a lot of industry where a big chunk of voters and government officials are actively out to destroy you, while at the same time subsidizing your competitor. You also have things like China, where transitioning to nuclear and renewables is a matter of national security since 80% of Chinese energy currently came from US-controlled supply routes.

Even in Alberta?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:There are aspects of green energy and sustainability that are extremely boring, and that is when you run up against competing government departments and trying to align them on doing anything to change. For example, as something I've noted before, it's very hard for me to simply get a solar panel for my house. I need to speak to the buildings department, the environment department, the tax department among a bunch of others.

I suppose...

For I can’t imagine anyone living here (except maybe the super rich) setting up a solar panel for their residence

Do you know how much solar panels cost? Sure their out of the averages persons price range at the moment but still, you act as though it's hundreds of thousands of dollars per installation.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 am

Well this is why nuclear energy has to be advocated in the 'green agenda'.
Whatever people think of nuclear energy, it's not fucking boring!
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:10 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I suppose...

Do you know how much solar panels cost? Sure their out of the averages persons price range at the moment but still, you act as though it's hundreds of thousands of dollars per installation.

I have no idea

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General