NATION

PASSWORD

“Some damn thing in the Larovans...” [Closed]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Nova Sylva
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2013
New York Times Democracy

“Some damn thing in the Larovans...” [Closed]

Postby Nova Sylva » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Chapter 1
October 2012

Viktor Koleno put his hands in between his jacket and his bulletproof vest in a vain effort to stave off the autumn chill. In the ruck march to this remote section of the Sylvan-Vlachavian border, he had at least been moving, and therefor warm - no such luck now. What made it even worse was looking at the light spilling out of the canvas tents in the valley below, and having to be up here, watching them.

Border incursions in the forested mountain foothills of Karpatya, a province which both sides of the border claimed full sovereignty, were common. Most were resolved peacefully, but the intensity, depth, and frequency of the raids, especially from the Vlachavian side, was concerning. Hence why he was here, in cold weather in the middle of the night, staring down at a temporary campsite made by Vlachavians on the Sylvan side of the border.

Viktor jumped up and down, then walked from side to side, trying to return feeling to his toes. It proved an exercise in futility. Bravely, he took the prone position, knowing full well the earth would seep away what little body heat remained. Behind him, he heard the soft crunch of brush underfoot as his team followed suit.

He wanted to smoke, but knew that if he did so, it would disclose their location. And stealth and surprise were paramount, as Viktor had learned and practiced so many times as a sergeant in the Sylvan Army.

His radio crackled to life on his back. It was his commanding officer, Lieutenant Nevsky. “Watchdog 1-3, Watchdog 1. What do you see?”

Viktor made a few mental notes and responded on the comm. “Watchdog 1, Watchdog 1-3. Vlachavians have two temporary structures, and some sort of communications array set up. I see four sentries on the south side, unarmed, about fifty meters down. Not sure how many are in the tents,”

Having unarmed patrols in this region was fairly common. Knowing the votalality of the border, there was a de-facto unspoken understanding between both that skirmishes were acceptable, but firearms were not. It was one of the quirks of international diplomacy that Viktor didn’t understand. Regardless, he wished he had his rifle.

“Roger that, Watchdog 1-3. Move in at your discretion. Let’s push these Vlachacks-“ he used the racist term for the Vlachavians - “back across the border.”

“With pleasure, sir!” Viktor replied, and drew an extendable nightstick from his belt. He motioned at his men, who armed themselves with a variety of blunt weapons as well. After conferring with the team behind him and those on his flanks, Viktor cautiously made his way down the hill. Moving down a slope in terrain like this, especially when trying to be quiet, was a hard job. At about halfway down, one of the sentries below noticed - something? Victor cursed under his breath, stood up, and charged the Vlachavian as he screamed “Up and at ‘em!”

The rest of the Sylvan patrol screamed expletives as they charged into the surprised Vlachavians. Victor whacked his nightstick into the sentry’s knee and was rewarded by a satisfying crackle as bone collapsed, the man groaned in pain, and collapsed to the ground. Just to be sure, and, because he could, Viktor smashed his other knee as well, before turning to tent.

He picked a flash bang grenade from his belt and tossed it into the open flap, where it went off a second later. It disoriented Viktor enough that he had to blink a few times to get the flash out of his eyes - but it must have been much worse for whoever was in the first tent.

The second tent, unaffected, began spilling out men in pairs. Some brandished knives, others having taken shovels and even large rocks to defend themselves. The battle disintegrated into a medieval melee, with men in bulletproof body armor whacking, hacking, and slashing in vicious close quarters combat.

Even without firearms, the battle was a mortal affair with life and limb on the line. Viktor watched a Sylvan’s head be crushed underneath a helmet, only a second later to have the man brandishing it be stabbed with a knife. A fire had started in the first tent, maybe from a cooking area inside, and the flames were spreading quickly.

Viktor saw a man with a radio box frantically changing channels near the big transmitter in the center of camp. He ran towards the man, nightstick at the ready. The man, an educated type with glasses seemed to be an officer of some kind. He stared up at Viktor in horror, and then brandished a pistol from his belt. He pulled it to waist height and fired twice, hitting Viktor once in the middle of his vest and knocking him flat.

The gunshots startled all of the fighters. The officer screamed something in Vlachavian and the soldiers drew back into two groups. Viktor coughed and sputtered. His chest hurt like hell - maybe a broken rib - but the vest had absorbed most all of the impact. He was helped to his feet by a fellow soldier as Lieutenant Nevsky came forward. To Viktor’s surprise, he brandished a sub-machine gun. Maybe it had been his backpack the whole time?

“Aruncă arma!” Nevsky yelled, as the men on the other side screamed back in a flurry of Ackesian, Vlachavian, and Sylvan. Viktor recognized the words as calling for surrender. “Mâinile sus, nu te mișca!” Viktor didn’t understand that bit but assumed it was the same thing. But with both sides yelling, it was hard to understand.

There was another gunshot, followed by a flurry. Then another burst. Nevsky looked to have taken a round in the shoulder, and had opened fire into the crowd of Vlachavians in front of him. .45 caliber bullets ripped through the crowd of Vlachavian soldiers, tearing flesh and cloth from their bodies. Screams and cries for help filled the air as Nevsky unloaded his magazine. At least a dozen Vlachavians, including the officer, lay dead by the time he had finished.

“Fuck me.” Viktor said, looking at Nevsky. “Fuck indeed.”

The walk along Government Street was always a pretty one. The metro station stop was at the corner before, and the next right ran adjacent to the Ondava River. Despite the wind bringing the first signs of a chilly autumn, the sight of its gently flowing waters brought a certain warmth to Saviley Sedlacek. As he walked down the cobblestone path that lay adjacent to the road itself, the shadow of Kralovska Castle, for which the city of Kralovice was named, dominated the street and the river beyond from its rocky outcrop. Holding his briefcase close, Saviley thought about just how lucky he was to be here. No, not luck - he reminded himself - hard work and dedication. It took true grit for a Karpat, an ethnic and linguistic minority in Sylvakia, to rise to any government position. While nominally citizens of the Republic, Karpats were still treated as second-class and shunned by the Sylvan majority. Nevertheless, his charisma and hard work had carried him through the low rungs of the political machine until his endorsement by the SPSD, Social Democratic Party of Sylvakia.

But the place that Saviley found himself at today was not the headquarters of the SPSD. Rather, it was the party office of the strana kongresoví republikáni, or Congressional Republicans Party (SKR) He gripped his briefcase a little tighter. If it wasn’t the most important meeting of his tenure here in Kralovice, it certainly came close. Opening the door, he was greeted warmly by the secretary. “Ah, Mr. Sedlacek. Deputy Hornický is expecting you.” He smiled, ignoring what was likely a deliberate slight at ignoring his title. Even with a Karpat in the National Assembly, he thought, they still don’t see me as an equal. Nevertheless, he swallowed his pride and made his way up the stairs. A knock on Hornický‘s office door and he was led by another aide to the man’s office. When he entered, a bald, fat man with a warm smile stood. “Ah, Saviley. Good to see you.”

Saviley gave a polite, if cold, smile in return: “Konrad. It is good to see you. May I have a seat?”

“Please,” Hornický replied, and gestured to two sofas which sat equidistant from a coffee table. “Can I offer you some tea? Season is turning, it’s getting chilly out there.” Saviley accepted, and after some more tactful conversation of politics were exchanged, such as wives, children, and recent fundraisers, the two members of the National Assembly got down to business.

“Konrad. What do you think of this plan? Honestly.”

Hornický sighed. “Pleasantries are over, then, Saviley? Very well. I’ll be straight with you. I don’t like it - not one bit. But President Novez is insistent. Personally, I think it his way to play fiddle to the Conservative Bloc - make tough on foreign influence in Sylvakia and use the region as the centerpiece for his economic revival campaign. Two birds with one stone.”

“He’s biting off more than he can chew,” Sedlacek said, shaking his head. “I’m from Karpatya - and you may not be Karpat, but you are too. Doing this won’t create jobs in the short term - it will make it worse. If those assets are nationalized, that’s putting more people out of work until they are reorganized into a state company.”

“Look, you are preaching to the choir here, Saviley. I’ve voiced these concerns to the President and the Party, but they believe this is the way to move forward. They insist that kicking out foreign labor and nationalizing assets...that’s the 2012 platform. That’s what we were elected on.”

“But not you.”

Hornický threw up his hands. “There’s only a few representatives from Karpatya, Saviley. We’re not a majority, not even a minority caucus. We may not agree on much, but we agree on this. It’s going to hurt our constituents. But whichever way we vote, it’s not going to matter. My party - SKR - has a majority now that they’ve joined with the Conservative Bloc. And I won’t lose my party’s support on an important issue by siding against them here. I’m sorry.”

“Could I at least convince you to abstain, Konrad? This goes directly against what our districts want.” Saviley asked.

Hornický thought about it for a moment. “Let me get back to you on that.” With that, Hornický stood, buttoning his jacket. It was the courteous way of telling Saviley that the meeting was over. Saviley stood as well, and offered a hand. Konrad shook it.

Eva Rázusová tapped her foot impatiently as she waited in line for her morning coffee. She was punctual to a fault - something that had got her the job at Sankte Matoušek Memorial Hospital she was on her way too this morning. But she also knew that if her punctuality stopped for whatever reason, the hospital administration would just as gladly fire her and replace her with a man - and not be afraid to pay him more, either. The inequality there wasn’t lost on her, and made her blood boil when she thought about it.

She looked up at the TV to pass the time in the coffee line. It was playing a news channel, with a pretty looking Karpatyan woman speaking. The headline that ran like a scroll on the bottom of the screen read, in big, block letters:

PRESIDENT NOVEZ PASSES NATIONALIZATION LAW - FOREIGN ASSETS INSIDE OF SYLVAKIA SIEZED.

The screen switched to President Novez’s speech:

“We have taken a historic step today in seeing Sylvakia on the road to economic recovery. For years, the world powers have used our country and our resources without any compensation for the average Sylvan. And when their banks collapse, and send Lira into chaos, do they offer help to a place they have long considered nothing more than their economic sandbox? Of course not! But if the Great Powers would seek to exploit, rather than cooperate, than they have no place in our great nation. As of today, all foreign assets in the mining and mineral industries have been nationalized, and will be reorganized into state companies. In doing so, we will create tens of thousands of new jobs, and finally collect the revenues of our own soil and mineral wealth.

We are an honorable, and peaceful people. I promise that compensation will be provided to the companies in question, but it will be on our terms, rather than theirs. This is simply the first of many such steps that my Presidency will take to put Sylvakia on the way to greatness. As for the ongoing incidents on our eastern border near Karpatya province I say this...

The man behind Eva in line spoke up. Evidently he had been watching as well. “Novez is a true patriot. Showing the foreigners we aren’t their property!” The man behind him disagreed loudly. “You idiot! Novez is nothing but a bad poker player. Ackesia and Lund won’t take this lying down, and he’s done nothing but overplay his hand.” The two retreated into their own animated discussion behind her.

Finally it was her turn to get coffee. She ordered her usual, but was shocked when the bill came. “This can’t be right,” she said. “I came here yesterday and it was thirty-two koruna. Why is it now forty-five?”

“Sorry, lady. We get our coffee beans exported from Ackesia, as well as a lot of the sugar. With all this going on, we’re not sure how long our supply is going to last...so prices are up.”

She let out a frustrated sigh, but coughed up the money.

Colonel Vaclav Cernik chewed at the end of his pipe. It was a nervous habit - and why he would never smoke out of it, chewing at the treated wood calmed his nerves somewhat. And so he chewed. In front of him lay a map with scribbled indentations. On the left side of his desk, a chess board with an ongoing game, and on the right corner, his laptop, with numerous files pertaining to the organization and logistical support of his brigade.

Behind him, the clean-cut dress jacket to his uniform sat on a hangar attached to the bookshelf that dominated the rear of his office. All of it was immaculately clean and well organized - an extension of Cernik himself. Without taking his eyes off the map, he moved one of the white pieces a few spaces forward. Immediately, he grabbed for a black piece, stopped himself, and looked at the board before setting it back down. It would have gotten him expelled from any formal tournament, but in this case, Vaclav’s opponent was only himself.

There was a knock at the door. “Come in,” he said.

“Vaclav - what did I tell you about working late?” It was his commanding officer, Brigadier General Kohout. He was dressed in his finest uniform, beret tucked in one hand. His medals and ribbons gleamed in the fluorescent light of Vaclav’s office. “Sir,” Vaclav replied. “Something isn’t right here. I’ve been looking over the tables all day, and we aren’t getting everything that we’re allocated. Close to five hundred cases of meals are missing. Fuel. Tires. Spare parts. It’s not right.”

“Vaclav - it’s a three day weekend. Stop working. Go to the Foundation Day gala. Find a girl. Enjoy yourself. All you do is work!”

Vaclav smiled at his senior officer. “Sir, someone needs to look into this. I’m your XO. It’s my job to do the dirty work like this so you can make your presentable like that. Besides, your a better dancer that I could ever be.”

To that, his general let out a belly-filled heartfelt laugh. “I will admit that your dexterity on the dance floor pales in comparison to your skill on the chessboard. But it’s important that the people here see you as well. You will have a command of your own one day, Vaclav. And like it or not, this will be part of that responsibility. So get your coat, and come with me! That’s an order!”

Vaclav smiled, and complied.

The Foundation Day gala celebrated the establishment of Sylvakia as an independent kingdom all the way back in 1100. It was one of two patriotic holidays celebrated in the country, with the other being Republic Day in February. But Foundation Day was by far the larger celebration, and especially on five-year anniversaries where it coincided with the inauguration of new presidents. Walking into the assembly area, Vaclav marveled a moment on how a battalion’s mustering area had been transformed into a ballroom setting. Ladies in floor-length gowns, men in perfectly pressed uniforms, as well as champagne and other beverages flowing freely.

Vaclav watched in some jealousy as the commander immediately began a conversation with another group of officers. He was a natural with his charisma, and Vaclav wished he could say the same. In truth, the large gatherings like this made him nervous - too many people in one place. Too many variables. Too much disorganization. Mostly, though, it was because Cernik found that his own thoughts were far more interesting than anything anyone else had to say.

“Colonel Cernik,” a voice said from behind him. “Your reputation precedes you. Come out of your office, for once?”

He turned to see a woman in a uniform much like own, save that a skirt and heels replaced the shoes and slacks. He quickly glanced at her rank, name badge, and unit identification, before politely averting his gaze from her chest. Brown hair was tied in a perfect ponytail behind her head, while a few stray locks placed themself on one side of her face. Her makeup, while not extensive, brought out the best of what she had to offer. Not beautiful in the traditional sense of the word, but pretty, homely, and most striking of all, devious.

“Captain...Kubátová,” Cernik said. “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure.”

“Believe me, the pleasure is mine, Colonel Cernik.” She offered a hand, and Vaclav shook it. He stood for a moment - a quick moment - in an awkward silence before remembering his manners. “May I - get you a drink, Captain?”

“Please, call me Teresa. And that would be lovely.”

Vaclav picked up to glasses of champagne on the table and offered one to her. She accepted. “What shall we drink too?” He asked.

“To filled inventories.” She said, and her face changed. The warm smile was gone, replaced by stern, piercing eyes. She downed her glass, and Valcav followed suit. “Cap - Tereza. Might I ask you to dance?” His gaze relaxed into a neutral, business expression.

“Of course, Colonel.”

The two began at a slow waltz, which was perfect. Despite the movement of their feet, the pair was there to talk. Though Vaclav struggled with the movements, she took the lead role and guided him as they spoke.

“Captain,” he said, uncomfortable with the familiarity of a first name basis, “your patch. Your of Fourth brigade - my brigade. But your battalion chords are white, and you lack any combat proficiency badges. But you do have a Quartermaster’s Excellence Ribbon in your rack. I take it you are in a supply company? Which one?”

“Good observations, Colonel. Yes. I’m of the 125th supply battalion, E company. And if your eyes are as proficient in noticing all that from my uniform, I’m sure you’ve also noticed that a quantity of promised supplies is missing.”

“I have. Do you know something about them? And if so, shouldn’t we be speaking in a more...professional setting?”

“Sir,” she said, “I have reason to believe that someone is siphoning off, or stealing the supplies before they reach the 125th. D company’s inventories do not match the delivery quotas. Somewhere between the trainyard and my company, supplies go missing. I have tried speaking with my chain of command about it, and was shot down with the usual ‘thank you for the report, it will be looked into.’”

The orchestra switched to a more vibrant dance. As the Hills of Manchuria played through the assorted instruments, Vaclav took Tereza’s hand and walked her outside. Startled, she accepted the gesture and followed closely.

“I have noticed more or less the same things,” he said, when they were out of earshot of anyone else. The cold autumn air blew around them, as the full moon lit the courtyard below. Music drifted from inside the hall as the two spoke. “But it’s not just that. Manifests of the railway deliveries have been edited as well - which means that this isn’t some sergeant or private snagging a box for themselves many times over. It’s a replicated pattern, and the manifest edits suggest that it’s a concerted effort, rather than random chances.”

She shivered as she thought about what he said. “Here,” he said, and offered his jacket. “Thank you,” she replied. “If someone’s editing manifests, that has to be for you to find out. I don’t have that sort of clearance...but I’ll see what I can do about the railhead itself. Do you know when the next delivery is?”

“Six days. Should arrive at 0100.”

“That’s convenient - the train arrives after standard working hours, and sits in the yard for seven hours until the day shift wakes up. That’s plenty of time to unload something.”

“We can’t immediately assume it’s the night shift,” Cernik replied. “I have a feeling that by the time this is over, everyone will be a suspect.”

Konstantin Hamerling could have been anything he wanted. A gifted student, he had studied and worked hard, and had been afforded the privileges of an aristocratic birth. He could have stayed on his family’s estate, riding horses or growing wine, or maybe studied music and composed; or, if he really wanted to work, a nice, cushy job in the government sector with good pay and a nice pension.

But instead of that, the top of his class graduate at Hergozoburg Royal Academy was shivering in an autumn rainstorm twenty miles from the nearest bit of civilization in the middle of the Sylvan wilderness, working for Grenzarian Intelligence.

The Karpatyan province had always been underdeveloped. The Sylvans preferred to develop their heartlands near Karlovice, and the Vlachavians to focus their efforts along the coast. After all, why develop a province full of a minority which spoke a different language, followed different customs, and generally wanted nothing to do with your rule?

That last part was something that Hamerling was exploiting. In this part of the wilderness, him and his team huddled under ponchos and shivered, waiting. Finally, seemingly after forever, the sounds of a truck grinding through the gravel road - if it could really be called a road - picked their way through the falling rain. Headlights blazed through the trees, illuminating the dense forest of volcanic rock and hardy vegetation. It pulled to a stop in front of Hamerling’s procession, and a man got out of the lead vehicle’s passenger seat.

“I got what ya asked for,” the Sylvan officer said. “Straight from the trains, like you asked. You have what I want?”

Hamerling tapped the breifcase by his side. The man moved for it, but the Grenzarian raised his hand. “Not so fast. Lets see this goods, first.” The Sylvan cursed under his breath and waved for Hamerling to follow. The pair walked behind the truck where the Sylvan threw open the rear canvas flap. “I told you, it’s all here,” he said, but Hamerling ignored him, climbing into the back.

Taking a knife, he cut away the modest closure that help one of the wooden boxes together. Throwing open the latch, he shifted around the bed of straw before pulling out a Sylvan-made disposable rocket launcher, made for destroying armored vehicles. “It seems you do, indeed,” Hamerling said, placing the RPG back into its straw cradle and climbing out the back.

He handed the man the briefcase, and he opened it. The officer practically salivated over the currency laid inside. “As always, it is a pleasure doing business with you.” The officer tipped his soft cap. The driver from the front vehicle dismounted, and the pair walked to the rear vehicle, where they made a u-turn and disappeared in the direction whence they came.

Hamerling motioned his men, and, as they had before, climbed into the truck and began driving east. Towards Vlachavia.

“Oh, Anatoli!” The woman said, seductively. The bed shook. “Yes! Yes! Yes!” Anatoli Istrati grunted in unison with his exertions. The king size bed in the Presidential Palace shook with the pair’s congress - as the thrusts grew faster and the woman’s speech higher-pitched, and as Anatoli neared the climax of the effort, there was a knock on the door. He attempted to ignore the knocks in favor of the woman below him, but as they grew louder and more incessant, he cursed loudly in Vlachavian. “Dracu 'asta!”

“Sorry, girl,” he said, as he threw on his robe and stepped over the variety of female undergarments scattered across the floor. “There is money on the table.” Anatoli tied the robe’s mid waist and walked to the door, preparing to punch whoever was on the other side. He opened it, and stood into the eyes of Miron Filipescu, his aide-de-camp and personal secretary.

“Moron,” Anatoli said, combining an insult with the aide’s name in a way that he found hilarious, “if you could not hear through that deft head of yours, I was busy satisfying the needs of a citizen of our great Republic.”

Morin’s face remained as impassive as ever. “Of course, Colonel. The President requires your presence in the drawing room. He stresses the importance of punctuality.”

Anatoli had been a member of the Vlachavian aristocracy since his conception. As the son of his father the President, he had spent the last nineteen years of his life enjoying the high life and becoming accustomed to the privileges that his father’s position afforded him. But he knew enough about the syntax and diction of a statement such as the one Miron had issued to read between the lines. Since it was ‘The President’ giving the orders to retrieve him, and not ‘his father,’ this would not be a social call or another one of his damn lectures on “responsibility.” ‘Requires your presence,’ instead of, say, ‘Requests your attendance,’ meant that Anatoli didn’t have a choice in coming or not. And “stressing the importance of punctuality,” was telling him in no uncertain terms to hurry the fuck up.

Colonel was a rank afforded to Anatoli despite his lack of any formal military education. He had (a plethora) of uniforms to match the title, and it was perhaps the only thing he took seriously in life. When he wasn’t drinking or fucking, Anatoli enjoyed attending the maneuvers of his personal regiment of mechanized troops. They always looked so perfect in their shiny boots and dress uniforms, and he would get to match them to and fro on the parade ground, admiring their in-step unison and perfect, concise turns. He had never taken his regiment into the field for training, but he knew that any army that could march as perfectly as his could would steamroll any opponent in its path.

As he donned a personally tailored military uniform and followed Miron out the hardwood door and into the marble hallway of the Presidential Palace, he asked, “Do you have any idea what this meeting is about, Miron?”

“Sir, I do not. However, as the President has called the Defense Ministry to the meeting, one could make the assumption it is regarding the armed forces.” Miron made a right-face that impressed even Anatoli, and then opened a door. Light from open windows lit the room, which looked out on the palace gardens. Anatoli entered the room, and the assorted military officers stood in respect. “At ease, gentlemen.” He turned to his father. “Dad.”

“So you’ll put them at ease when they respect you, but won’t even so much as go to attention for me? Hmmph,” President Istrati said. “Come here, Anatoli. I want you to see this.”

Anatoli approached the central table, which had a map of the Sylvan-Vlachavian border on top of it. Set on the map were wax pencil inscriptions depicting formations, lines of advance, and divisional fire plans. All of the arrows of advance pointed into Sylvakia.

“Mr. President,” one of the generals said, “as I was saying, the First Division will lead the assault, alongside the the Fifth and Thirty-Seventh Motor Rifle Brigade. Each of those formations will be reinforced with an extra tank battalion. They will push against the Karpat positions here, here, and here...”

Anatoli imagined pinning the girl he had gotten last night over this table and mounting her. He thought about holding her curved hips, of her silk-smooth flesh, and...

“What do you think, son? Are you ready for a field command of your own?” Anatoli snapped out of his daydream. Everyone at the table was staring at him, as if he was to deliver the verdict on their survival. He looked to President Istrati. “I’m sorry...what did you ask?”

His father looked down at the table in disappointment. Forming a fist, he hit it on the mahogany and, before looking up, muttered a single word: “Out. All of you.”

Anatoly turned to leave. “Not - not you, Anatoly Istrati.”

As soon as the door closed behind the last officer, His father walked around the table, raised his arm, and backhanded Anatoly across the face. Anatoly cried out in pain and almost doubled over. “What the hell?”

“You dare make me look like a fool? Make this family look like fools?” His father screamed. “Is it too much to ask that you carry on the legacy I have built? Why do you insist on being a failure?!”

Anatoly recovered his composure, but he couldn’t manage to form the right words. His father continued his tirade. “At near enough your age, I commanded a battalion in the Civil War. By the time I was thirty, I was the youngest general this country had ever seen. What are you? By comparison, an uneducated,” he hit Anatoly again. “Spoiled,” another strike. Anatoly whimpered. “Playboy!” The last hit didn’t come, though Anatoly had recoiled in expectation. Blood ran down his cheek.

“Someday, Anatoly, this nation will rest on your shoulders. At that time you must be ready. As such, you will be attached to General Romanescu’s division in the upcoming invasion. You will be sober. You will be respectful. Most of all, you will be presidential. You will show these army men which you scorn - you will show me - that you will be ready to lead when the time comes.”

Denis Cojocarri tried to lean his head against the back of the APC and catch some sleep. It was to no avail. They were crammed in like sardines, and with his helmet on and rifle between his legs, it was impossible to get comfortable. To make matters worse, the officer was blaring his speech through the speaker in the back. It was meant to be inspiring - to Cojocarri, and indeed, most all of the other men in the cramped APC - it was just annoying.

The Karpats have tested our rule one too many times! These rebels wish for nothing but the collapse of our great Vlachavian state, and the dissent of our country into anarchy. They are bandits, rapists, and murderers and do not understand even the least bit of common decency which distinguishes a Vlachavian from the subhuman swine which surround us.

Cojocarri tried bashing his head into the back of the APC to get the voice to shut off. No avail, as he thought, but the pain allowed him to focus on something other than the voice of the officer with a compensation issue.

As such, President Istrati has authorized us to descend into the hive of the insect, and crush him where he sleeps! We shall obliterate him as he seeks to obliterate us. Soldiers of the Republic - there is to be no quarter. No man, woman, or child is innocent of subversion against the state! With Beo as our witness, we shall purge our holy lands of the filth and swine which inhabit it! For Vlachavia!

It would have been better, Cojocarri thought, if he had delivered that last line as they had dismounted. As it stood, it was another ten minutes before they arrived at their destination. When the side ramps opened and the motorized riflemen piled out of the vehicles, the bright sun momentarily blinded him. When his eyes came into focus, he saw they were inside of a poor, decrepit farming village.

“Squad! On me!” Cojocarri yelled. His conscripts followed his lead as he emplaced them all in a security posture around the vehicle. “Sergeant!” One of his privates yelled. “What do we shoot?”

“Anything with a weapon,” Denis replied, as he walked over to where Captain Presecan was having a heated conversation with what must have been the village head. “Speak Vlachavian, you dumb mutt,” the Captain cursed, and struck the man in the face with the butt of his pistol. Denis sighed to himself. Officers really did have a compensation issue.

“I’ll ask you one last time, you dirty Karpat dog,” Presecan snarled. “Where is the weapons cache? Where did you hide it?”

The elder dropped to his knees, as if begging. “Please, sir, officer, sir, we have no weapons. This farming village. Farming village. Peace!”

“Maybe you hid it in your daughter’s skirts,” Presecan growled menacingly. “Cojocarri! Perhaps you would be so kind as to look under the daughter’s skirts? Do a very thorough investigation, yes?”

Cojocarri glanced at the woman - if she could even be called that. She couldn’t have been more than sixteen. “Sir, with all do respect, I don’t think that’s necessary.” Denis wasn’t a Karpat. He didn’t really give a fuck about what happened to them, but there was a difference between turning your back and pulling the trigger yourself. And killing innocents wasn’t what he had been conscripted into the army for - or so he thought, anyway.

“Fine, suit yourself. Cojocarri, guard the vehicles with your squad. The rest of you - put it to the torch!

Cojocarri did his best to ignore the screams and the smell as his squad stood by the vehicles. He did his best to reassure his men that everything was alright. Most of them looked seriously off-put - although one or two looked as if they would have rather joined the orgy of rape, slaughter, loot, and murder being carried out against the Karpats in Vlachavia.
Last edited by Nova Sylva on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:09 pm

Levosta, Ostait Province, Ackesia, January 2020 (“Present Day”)

Rain soaked the streets of the coastal city as a winter monsoon moved across the southern Ackesian coast with avengence. People mulled about still on their way to or from work, children played in the puddles to the protest of their mothers, and cars slid across the motorways kicking up waves of floodwater in the lower quarter streets. Not many lingered, people moved fast enough to not expose themselves to the elements for too long. That is why the hooded girl with the auburn hair perched on the side of the building stood out to Julian as he slowly made his way down the street.

The unshaven man held a wet paper bag in which his poison of choice resided in a somewhat obvious bottle shape. He largely kept to himself, coming and going for means of work or drink, not stopping to socialize unless he had to. Few knew him in these parts, his migration to the south eastern quarter of the city out of necessity. Julian deduced there would be no one else who would know his habits and routes to and from his home, the girl with the Auburn hair could be one of only two people.

He did not look her in the face, he couldn’t, instead he stopped walking, still faced in his direction of travel. The girl gasped when she realized it was him, quickly grabbing his arm with a clench of her long fingernails. Despite his thick jacket, her hand cut deep with her grasp, to an almost spiritual level.

“Julian…” The woman could not help but sob. Julian still did not turn, only looking at the rain pooling by his feet.

The woman examined him, moving around to his side where she got a better look at his worn face. He had large bags under his green orbs, his cheeks prickly and hair uncombed. There was a certain lifelessness about him, and as she moved her hand down to his, she noticed the bottle.

“Julian please… stop this.” Her tears mixed with the rain. “I know… I know you hurt… we all do! But you have to come back to us, come back please.” Her other arm moved to wrap around his, she now hugged him like she would not let go.

Still Julian “the uncouth” did not look at her.

“They’re… they’re gone Julian, they are…” she cried more, hoping against all hopes he would turn and embrace her.
“Won’t you please look at me… look at us…? They might be gone but we are… we are still family!”

Julian’s eyes perked up but froze forward, a thousand yard stare of emotional discipline at the cusp of faltering.

“Kei and I miss you, we want you to get better. You're killing yourself slowly Julian!” Her hand moved to touch his cheek, feeling his rough exterior, his armor that would not break.

“I… uh.. we love you Julian….” Her hand caressed his face softly.

“Look at me Julian….” she pleaded.

Still he did not move his gaze.

“LOOK AT ME!!” Her shrill scream startling many of the other passers by who jumped out of fright.

The rain pattered down on her hood as silence returned, and without a look in her direction or word Julian moved on, his worn leather boots as stretched out as his soul as he made his way home to find the bottom of the bottle.

The auburn haired woman collapsed to the ground, a splash of water soaking her as she sobbed… alone.

—-

Byni (Suburb 25 Miles North of Levosta), Ostait Province, Ackesia, October 2012 (8 years earlier)

For the month of October it was a beautiful day, the skies were blue, the weather was not terribly cold, and the breeze coming off the Rosel was agreeable. Many in the small suburb of Byni were out and about socializing and browsing through the town's market as they prepared for one of the many traditional feasts celebrating the beginning of Jubilee (a traditional Ackesian holiday celebrating the victory of King Brack the III over the invading Lunders in 1123). Many families would be feasting that day with relatives, enjoying the love and communion of close family as is tradition in modern Ackesia.

Children played in the streets while their mothers and grandmothers picked fresh produce from the market. Farmers and merchants could barely keep their stocks of fresh hen or ham so long as the crowds kept demanding it. It was a loud chorus of life that day north of the coastal city, many lived for such moments and memories as they passed Acksian cultural heritage to the next generations.

For Julian Reqyn it was a particularly special Jubilee, though his rather stern and uptight expression did not show it. This would be the first such instance of the holiday he would be spending with others, his last memory of such an event when he was barely a toddler. Having been abandoned by his parents at a young age and growing up as a ward of the state, he did not have high expectations for holidays or other instances of tradition or cultural significance. Yet this time felt different to him, no matter how much time he spent denying it, putting up his usual barriers to attachment and emotion.

But from out of sight all of that came down as he caught a glimpse of auburn hair from across the market. He paused for a moment and looked on at them, two girls carrying baskets full of food. They were both beautiful women in their own right, slender yet endowed and had faces that carried a sort of sweet charm. Neither were like the plastic models of magazine fame or the girls often lauded at nightclubs in inner Levosta. They were the girls nextdoor your babushka would not stop talking about.

One caught a glimpse of him and smiled, her bare arm raising up and catching the sun as she waved him over. The other turned as well and nervously waved, her demeanor far more reserved than her sisters, even though they were identical.

Aina and Chiyo were two of three identical girls, better known as triplets. Their identities to a stranger would be indiscernible, but over the year Julian had gotten to know each of their quirks, habits, and differences, enough to really appreciate them like no other.

Julian watched them as he fought to cross through the crowded market, the girls patiently waiting for him on the other side.

A stiff breeze blew up from the west as he approached him, Chiyo’s skirt fluttered up higher than was comfortable for her, arms dashing to control the fabric as Julian caught the slightest glimpse of black lace on her hip.

Face beet red she looked down at the ground as he approached, her sister Aina giggling.

“Hi Julian, isn’t it a nice day out?” Aina looked from Julian to her sister with teasing green eyes. Aina was the empathetic and clever sister, always observant of the other two triplets and their emotions. The narrowed eyed girl even had a knack for catching Julian out from time to time as she peered back to him, studying his expression next to her flushed sister.

Chiyo, eyes closed, gathered herself from such an embarrassing moment. Bringing her hand in front of her she took a deep breath and exhaled as she lowered her palm.

Her eyes popped back open with a brightness unmatched by any other.
“HI!!” She waved to Julian with yet another radiant smile.

“Hey… do you all need any help? Your hands look full.”

“Fu… fu….” Aina waved her hand dismissively. “Like we can’t carry a couple of baskets.” Her tone wounded as she strode up to another stall where an older woman sold bread.

Both Aina and Chiyo, as well as their currently unpresent sister Kei were Julian’s neighbors this last year in a nice apartment building a few blocks from the market. Being somewhat of a loner Julian did not plan to interact much with his trio of beautiful auburn haired neighbors, his introduction to them was casual when he took up occupancy in the unit across from theres. But through constant encounters in the hall, many requests for help from Chyio to reach something too high for her, Aina’s friendly teasing whenever she saw him outside, and Kei’s stern yet caring correction of his casual wardrobe choices, Julian was drawn into their lives.

After months passed of their relationship as neighbors morphing into that of close friends, they too became an important part of his life, the only women really of note around him. As the hear progressed and more of his time was spent in their apartment as they teased, socialized, and fed him. And from there, their relationship started to turn into something else, a feeling these four adults all had.

Julian and Chiyo began to walk down the path as Aina paid for a loaf of artisan bread for their feast.

“Here is your change sweetie.” The old lady handed Aina some coins as she looked over to her identical sister and the man that walked with him.

“Oh boy….” she shook her head and pointed her thumb in their direction. “If I had a stud like that rearranging my guts every day I’d look that happy too!” Her wrinkled face brightened as she cackled.

“Gahh! Ma’am! How… how could you say something so lewd!” Aina blushed as she hurried along to catch up. Chyio looked red again, obviously hearing the old woman's remark as Julian tried to play it off as if he had not heard a thing.

“Boomers…..” Aina shook her head as she held up her nose.

“Ya! Boomers!” Chiyo echoed. An awkward silence fell on the trio for a few long moments until normal conversation resumed as they headed back to their apartment.

A few blocks north Julian and the triplets prepared for the meal they would share. Kei the more serious and stern sister barked out directions as her sisters goofed off, and Julian, fearful of catching a slap on the back of the head did as he was told like a good soldier. Rolling out the crust for the apricot pie he used his muscles, his braun getting the best of him as he made it too thin.

“Julian!” Kei facepalmed as she crumbled up the crust and made him do it again.

“Sorry Kei.” He smiled, once again picking up the roller.

The girls looked on at him softly, all captivated by his smile as he did not give such an expression often. Both Aina and Kei shook it off, smiling at each other as they felt warmed by the unofficial little family they had here. Yet Chiyo did not take her eyes off him, her heart racing a bit as she cracked an egg into a bowl without considering the shell pieces falling in.

“Uhheerrmm.” Kei cleared her throat as she smiled knowingly at her little sister. Chiyo being the youngest by only an hour blushed at the oldest’s perception.

“Breaking news this afternoon as the President of Sylvkia announced today the nationalization of mineral assets in his country, drawing the ire of some in the international community.”

The television was tuned in to the news, this particular piece catching Julian’s ear as he rolled the doe haphazardly.

“But if the Great Powers would seek to exploit, rather than cooperate, than they have no place in our great nation!” Novez’s voice echoed across the apartment.

Julian knew this was not going to end well.

“Border skirmishes have become more frequent between Skylvkia and its neighbor Vlachavia since this announcement, with the Ackesian Foreign Service Department issuing a no-travel order to Ackesian citizens as troop build ups continue along the border. President Ackerman…”

The TV went black as Julian came to the realization he had rolled the doe too thin again.

“Julian…” Kei’s tone was softer this time, though he could tell she was mad, he also could see the worry on the triplet’s faces.

“Sorry.” He hehe’d as he fixed the doe once more and finished it right quick.

An hour later the food was in the oven and the triplets were setting the table inside. Julian however was on the balcony, looking west as he knew his path would soon head there. Never before did he feel such anxiety before a deployment, the special forces soldier always placing duty before self. Yet he now reflected that was so easy to do when you have nothing. In these past months the triplets had become a part of him that anchored his heart somewhere, and now cast a shadow on his heart as it reminds him of his duty.

“Get there and back before breakfast.” He muttered the famous words of his Flank Sergent. He now knew how important those words were.

“Hey.” A soft voice stepped out from the apartment to the balcony with him. Chiyo’s auburn hair fluttered with the wind as she came behind him.

“Hey.” Julian’s heart skipped as he turned to her, taking in the sight of the beautiful girl and her bright green eyes.

“So… you think they will send you?” She stood still, looking off to the side as if to hide the pain in her eyes.

Julian nodded his head, turning up the corner of his mouth as he conveyed the truth of it to her.

“Oh…” a heaviness came over her. She came just a tad closer, a hair’s movement that conveyed more emotion than any words could.

“But I’ll be back. No worries.” He gave her one of those rare smiles as he reassured her. Though Chiyo knew enough of Julian to know that his reassurance comes with stipulations, she still found comfort in it. She knew that where he went was the most dangerous, and no one, not even him could be certain. Only Beo knew.

“Well I uh…” she came closer, an almost awkward distance as the girl fumbled with her words. Inside, unnoticed by Julian and Chiyo, Aina was nudging Kei to pay attention as they watched through the window.

“We uh…” Chiyo leaned forward, her face entering a zone of comfort beyond the one they had already established as close friends. “We will be here… when you get back…” She smiled at him, her eyes watering. “I will be here when you get back…”

Her mouth met his as they kissed, and Julian accepted it without question, as natural as a surprise kiss could hope to be.

Though they all loved him in their own way, and Julian them, Aina and Kei both knew that he and Chiyo were meant for eachother. Each of them brought out the best in each other. Two souls on the same wavelength.

After a few long moments of not coming up for air Kei banged on the glass of the window. Her raps were stern as she was more than a little jealous. Aina merely wore a smile, happier for her sister than any day since they lost their parents when they were young.

“Alright you love birds!” Kei poked her head out the door to the balcony, as both Julian and Chiyo held each other, blushing.
“Time for family dinner.”

Family dinner… words he never thought he would hear in his life. Sitting down together they enjoyed what little time left they had before Julian revisited duty.
Last edited by Achesia on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunderfrau
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunderfrau » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Laubenhugel, Lunderfrau

October, 2012

The rain beat down relentlessly as the wind howled, slamming against the walls of Laubenhugel palace. However, none were the wiser deep within the bowels of complex. It was here that the Kaiserin’s personal office resided, and where the Kaiserin Theodora herself was on this very dreary day. The Kaiserins mood mirrored the weather. She had been keeping tabs on the situation in Sylva, the day before the President had begun nationalizing key industrial sectors of Sylva. Normally, the Kaiserin would be excited about such events, any way to keep money away from the “Unlanded Commoners” was a win in her book. The only problem was many of the sectors that were being Nationalized in Sylva were owned by Lunderfrausian interests. She had fielded several calls from various heads of industry including Duchess Celeste of Grenzland, complaining about the move. As such the Kaiserin was in a poor mood this morning. As she furrowed her brow and rubbed her temples, the door to her office swung open. Two women marched their way into the Kaiserins office. They almost had a comedic look to them. One was rather tall and skinny with a beak like nose and thick rimmed spectacles while the other was shorter and very heavy, having practically waddled into the room. The Kaiserin looked over from the television to greet the two women.

“Ava, Mila, thankyou for coming on such short notice, take a seat over by my desk.” The Kaiserin pointed the two women to the seats adjacent to her desk at the far side of the room away from the television. She stood up and strode over to her desk. The Kaiserin, like nearly all Lunder women, was tall, standing around 6’3. This was further augmented by her high heels, which added another 3 inches to her height, bringing her to a whopping 6’6. Even at her height, she carried a certain grace, seemingly floating across the room to her desk. She sat down and proceded to pull a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from her desk. She pulled a single cigarette from the carton container, brought it up to her lips and lit it with the lighter. She extended the pack to the two women sitting with her. “Care for a smoke” She asked before letting out a steady stream as she exhaled. The two women shook their heads. “suit yourself then, anyway, Im sure you know what I’ve brought you here to discuss.” Mila was quick to answer.

“Its about the nationalization of the Sylvan mining sector?” The Kaiserin said nothing, instead turning to the television playing on the otherside of the room, it was a clip from the President’s speech.

“As of today, all foreign assets in the mining and mineral industries have been nationalized, and will be reorganized into state companies. In doing so, we will create tens of thousands of new jobs, and finally collect the revenues of our own soil and mineral wealth.” The Kaiserin’s face curled into a scowl as another puff of smoke left her.
“Yes, that is the case. Mila, as my Minister of Trade, did you have any idea this was coming.” The rotund woman once again shook her head.

“We had some inkling that this could occur given Novez’s positions on the campaign trail regarding trade but we had expected to be given some notice rather than having it sprung on us as is.” The Kaiserin again turned to face the two.

“I see, I’ve been getting call after call from irate owners of said assets, they feel they’ve been robbed of whats theirs, I cant help but agree.” She turned to the gangly tall woman.

“Ava, as my Foreign Minister, have the Ministry send a communique to President informing him we do not support this unlawfull take over of OUR assets.” Ava nodded and quickly began texting, likely to begin the process of sending out the communique. The Kaiserin then turned to the Trade Minister. “Mila, if the President fails to comply with our demands, begin the process of implementing sanctions on their Financial Sector as well as their Mining Sector. Now please if you’ll both leave me to my thoughts” The two women got up and bowed before the Kaiserin, however as they reached the door, Theodora stopped them. “I’m sorry, but Ava, I forgot to mention; could you please summon the Sylvan Ambassador to the Throne Room at once, I’d like to have a discussion regarding how the “Relationship” between our two nations work” With that the Kaiserin sent the two off.

To: The Office of The President of Sylva
From: The Office of Her Majesty the Kaiserin of the Matriarchy of Lunderfrau
Subject: Nationalization of Lunder Assets
Mr. President,
The Matriarchy of Lunderfrau does not take kindly to the unlawful seizure of our Citizens assets without due process or clear explanation. I must implore that you rescind your nationalization order or exempt Lunder owned assets from it. I am willing to meet with your government to discuss a more equitable way of dealing with this situation, however I will not meet til this order is rescinded. I have ordered my Trade officials to begin preparation of sanctions against Sylva for this unlawfull seisure. You have 48 hours to comply with our request or the Sanctions will be levied. I hope to hear from you soon so we may resolve this dispute without such disruption to our Economies.
Best
-Her Majesty Theodora von Strauss, Kaiserin of the Matriarchy of Lunderfrau

To: The Honorable Sylvan Ambassador to the Matriarchy of Lunderfrau
From: The Matriarchy of Lunderfrau Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Subject: SUMMONS
Ambassador,
Her Majesty, Kaiserin Theodora von Strauss has requested your presence in the Throne room at your most available convenience. Please be timely in your arrival.

-Ministerium für Auswärtige Angelegenheiten (MAA)

Return to International Incidents