NATION

PASSWORD

Lady Adreana's 5th Annual Charity Ball [Alithea Only] [IC]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saradena
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am

After thanking Lady Adreanna for the invitation and exchanging pleasantries with her and with Baron Hermann, the group enters the event hall.

Aheko, who was nervous at first introduction, eased up for a bit after shaking hands with the host and with the Baron, who was actually surprised to see a noble, an Abulan to boot, being openly gay, a contrary to popular stereotypes back home. Kotori, seeing her face, comes up to her, confirming her ease.

"See? Being here really breaks stereotypes, doesn't it?"
Aheko nods, and replies softly "This was easier than I thought. I should come out of this one alright." The moment they enter the event hall, however, she is once again overwhelmed by the amount of foreign delegates and other high-ranking entities in the room.

"There's a lot more people in here than last year. Don't you think?" Erhard says to Shikota.
"Considering that the Anowan matriarch is here, I thought you'd already expect the numbers"

The party make their way through the crowd, when Kotori hears a familiar voice calling her nearby, upon turning her head towards the origin, it was Princess, or, well, Great Matriarch Historia. "Miss Historia! It's good to see you again!" Kotori greets back as she hugs her. "I've been doing great. How about you?" She then introduces her to her father, and then to Aheko, who was visibly pale, completely overwhelmed by her shyness to foreigners.

"Ah, sorry, Aheko here is just a really shy person, but she's a really great friend once you get to know her." Aheko gives a respectful bow to Historia after Kotori introduces her, still pale and not noticing her mother who was right beside her.
Last edited by Saradena on Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Japanese/Mongolian weeb cesspit nation with a lotta US military hardware
Formerly known as Esgonia (RIP Best Maid)

Call me Es, Essie, Ainsley Harriot, whatever.
Send TG's if you like
  • Part of Novae Terrae/Alithea (Most of our canon stuff's now on Discord anyway. TG me if you're interested!)
  • Does not use NS Stats (I have Factbooks, dammit)
Empire of Donner land wrote:We get it. You're the grand master edge supreme. :P
Victoriala wrote:Thank god we aren't neighbors

Tune of the now: "Zambian Psychedelic Rock music I just found or something"

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Asian Ports » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Urran wrote:There is an old adage, "you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your family. There are some family members that one loves dearly and truly treasures, even if one often dislikes or disagrees with them. Siblings, for example, even twins, may look alike, speak alike, or dress alike, but under that superficial surface, they could be quite different. That was Urran and the other members of what some called "the Ashai Trio", Yamatai and Esgonia. The countries shared much history, had similar languages, shared large portions of culture, and were similar ethnically, but the nuances were at times more distinct than any of them found comfortable.

The Yamatians and Esgonians had reputations for being the "fun" ones of the three, much looser and open in their interactions with each other and with others. The Urranese were seen as the shut ins or the grumpy old man of the region, stern, but polite and commanding of respect. Ties between the former two had remained strong with each other, but their ties with the latter occasionally shifted by a few degrees every so often. The Hanajima administration had left ice in an already cooling room. Still, one has to be polite at family reunions....

Chikako Miyake. Dr. Chikako Miyake actually, delicately grabbed a glass of champagne from a passing server, daintily taking a sip of the bubbling fluid before making her way deliberately, but not too obviously towards Nanasawa Kimiko. The Yamatians pretended not to notice at first, but they both knew this was not exactly the younger woman's game.

Dr. Miyake was elegant, polite, very well educated, calm and collected, a true lady by all accounts, the feminine face of an Urran without a first lady or female PM. In short, everything Kimiko had to pretend to be, though the older woman knew better. She still could not figure out why the Yamatians always sent her to such important events when they had so much better to offer. Perhaps they wanted to continue to project the militaristic front of a samurai nation. Perhaps the child demanded it. Either way, She certainly would not have been Urran's first choice.

The Yamatians spoke first as the stately Urranese envoy came to great them, Kimiko trying her best impression to pretend to be surprised, as if she had not seen Chikako coming, though they both knew she had. The dumb girl look did not look good on her, neither did the near butchery of the Urranese language.

Chikako gazed knowingly at her for a moment, stern eyes boring into the noblewoman like a schoolmaster assessing the meddle of a new student, the cold intensity of someone who knew their station and wondered where you fell on that social ladder. It was not that Chikako didn't like Kimiko, not at all. In fact, she thought her a very accomplished young....woman. Still, Ashai and the Union member states had to keep up appearances and Kimiko was just....Kimiko. She should stick to killing, not everyone had her talent, just like not everyone was cut out for politics.

A polite but stern smile graced Chikako's lips and she bowed to each of the Yamatians in turn, starting with Kimiko. It was a slight bow, one given to those of equal or lower stations. "Nanasawa-san, a pleasure to meet you in person." She said calmly, but politely and in near perfect Yamatian. She straightened back up, swirling her champagne a bit before taking another graceful sip, giving each of the three girls a measuring look. "Yes, I am glad that my country has finally decided to grace the halls of the Union after our....absence. I am looking forward to the festivities. Have you any specific plans?"

Kimiko was never fond of socialites. It was the part of noble reality that she desperately wanted to avoid. Nothing more than a deep pool of vanity and prestige to throw around as though the world depended on it, a self-fulfilling prophecy which inexplicably binds matters of state to the feelings of the otherwise unemployed. Nobody born with a sword in hand should be forced to endure this... yet Kimiko's apparent destiny set her down this path. Whatever it was her father saw in her, she would have to throw into this situation. Think like a soldier? No, that's not what she needed. She couldn't think like a castle's concubine, so she'd have to think like the king.

Out of all the people present at the ball currently, the wife of the Secretary of State of Urran has decided to approach the heiress to the Nanasawa Clan. Out loud, Dr Miyake would perhaps rather be referred to personally with her honorifics (as Minister of Education). But, Kimiko could safely bet that she wasn't about to be quizzed on anything. Outwardly, she seemed pretty typical of Urran's political class: calculating and statuesque. Kimiko couldn't read minds, so it was hard to tell if Dr Miyake was secretly some other sort of person. Combined with the wording Chikako used, "My country has decided to grace the halls of the Union", she seemed to be framing their attendance at the ball as countries represented by characters. Hence, this isn't Dr Miyake talking to Lady Kimiko, it was the other half of the Secretary of State of Urran talking to the representative of the Nanasawa Clan to the Union. In fairness, that's why Kimiko showed up in a uniform. In the Urranese mindset, Chikako is attempting to engage Kimiko as though they themselves were the ostensibly allied states. It was very bold, and almost certainly untrue. It spoke to the vanity of the Urranese that the gathering of nobles is essentially individuals adopting the persona of nation-states. The truth is somewhat more complicated, but the socialite method is the path of least resistance.

"Ah, forgive my impropriety" Kimiko apologized, again in Urranese, giving a stately bow with due deference. As she rose, she presented her companions who also bowed politely when she introduced them as she had to Lady Adreanna. The impression she wanted to give Chikako was that she knew exactly what she was doing. Perhaps it was to annoy the woman or just to exercise her affectations for a bit. At the very least by the end of the conversation, she wanted to reassure the Urranese woman. It was going to be a weird path to get there, but that was the goal. But she'd do it her way. Kimiko continued, "I'm also looking forward to the festivities tonight, I feel it has been quite a while since I spoke with Lady Adreanna and Lady Historia, among other distinguished guests. I suppose I really only plan to have pleasant conversations, reaffirm the sisterhood as it were. Strength in numbers, as you know".

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 am

Union Of Autocratic Empires wrote:"Hail, Queen Lena. I am Griseia Raiss-Kuvera von Abula, Duchess of Abula and sister to this man everyone calls Kaisar. Please, call me Griseia." The woman put her arms on the table and relaxed on them, leaning forwards slightly. "I have heard a lot about you. That speech of yours was very impressive, if you don't mind me saying. I like people with strong convictions."

"Griseia, please, leave Lena some breathing room. She just got here."

"My apologies, my lady. I'm a bit... rusty when it comes to interacting with my peers."

Lena could only smile somewhat mirthfully. It was the first earnest display of support from someone not within her own government or social circle. While yes, she had a display of support from her people, primarily because she hadn't yet done anything negative in their eyes. The Regal Orders she'd given not too long ago had yet to be discussed properly yet. So there was no wave of negativity at the moment, but that was likely to change soon.

"Thank you, and again, just Lena is more than enough."

When the waiter arrived, Lena and Sylwia both opted for water, while Jason simply shook his head with a respectful, "Nothing, thank you."

Union Of Autocratic Empires wrote:"Now, Lena, I take this is the first time you come to the Union. What do you think of it so far? Is it anything like you expected? From what I've heard, this place is somewhat similar to your homeland."

Lena had initially avoided going to any other country in her life specifically for this reason. Because they were all doing better than her home. On their trip from the airport to the castle, Lena hadn't seen any food bank lines, no frozen bodies in alleyways, no boarded up and out of business stores. The buildings here had some measure of color and respect for the people living in them. Compared to the overcapacity homeless shelters, four bodies a morning, 24% unemployment rate, the grey and monolithic nature of Anowan post war architecture that had studies about it indicating that it was one of the primary causes of Anowa's almost biblical suicide rate. Lena had stayed up for a good four days going to town on legislation that could help, but even then she knew it would barely make a dent in her home's endemic problems.

With a sigh, Lena thought about how much she was going to miss Anowa's coinage, "Well..." a pause, as Lena looked for any words to say that wouldn't kill the mood, "It's not quite as frigid, which I suppose is a good thing for tonight." Lena's subconscious felt like adding "The buildings don't cause mental illness." but figured that such a thing could easily be taken wrong.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Nauchrtenfield
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nauchrtenfield » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 am

Union Of Autocratic Empires wrote:"Meanwhile, two of the newly arrived Matriarchs arrived and approached the Nauchtern delegation. They both were dressed in the Liyomesse dress uniform for armored units, but the most noticeable one was rather eye catching, as she was completely missing her nose, with only two holes where it would've been.

"Excuse me, but my friend was wondering, do you happen to be Archbishop Helmut Arkenström?" the noseless woman asked, pointing at the Bishop. "I'm Great Matriarch Miia, and this is Great Matriarch Tuovi. Honored to meet you."

The Archbishop stood in thought admiring the castle and it's architecture when he was addressed. The Madam Attaché stood beside him, like a guardian, biding her time for now. She had nothing better or more urgent to to, and the Archbishop was adequate company, maybe a bit boring and simple at heart. As he was approached and addressed however the Madam Attaché was sure she would have to intervene, as the Archbishop seemed stunned for a moment at having not only been approached, by mentioned and known by name by two Great Matriarchs.

But he found his footing, and in a well trained and choregraphed motion stretched out his hand and placed his glass on the awaiting platter held by his assistant. Then snapped to a salute so straight and well done that it would probably be seen as overkill for the councillor guard guard, the unit of Nauchrten troops that spent countless hours each day training drill. But this was one of the many ways for a Nauchrterner to show respect.

Lowering his hand he instead now extended it, for this was how greetings where done in this, and many other parts of the world. The handshake was stiff, awkward, like shaking a branch. The Archbishop was many things, but used to shaking hands was not one of them.

"Great Matriarch Miia, Great Matriarch Tuovi. Youse will have to forgive me greeting you with my left arm, my present condition does not allow me to use the right. I am honoured that such as youse know of a servant such as me. I am Archbishop Helmut Arkenström, serving the Nauchrten Church, it's followers and mankind in this union. How may I be of service to the Great Matriarchs?"

Union Of Autocratic Empires
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Union Of Autocratic Empires » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am

Nauchrtenfield wrote:
"Great Matriarch Miia, Great Matriarch Tuovi. Youse will have to forgive me greeting you with my left arm, my present condition does not allow me to use the right. I am honoured that such as youse know of a servant such as me. I am Archbishop Helmut Arkenström, serving the Nauchrten Church, it's followers and mankind in this union. How may I be of service to the Great Matriarchs?"

"The honor is ours, Archbishop" Arkenström Matriarch Miia said as she shook hands with the Nauchtern man, with her companion following suite, with considerably more enthusiasm even if she remained silent, which they both followed with a military salute of their own. "I apologise for bothering you after you just-" The woman was interrupted by her compatriot, however, who nudged her in the ribs and interjected with her gaze. The former seemed confused for a few seconds, not helped by the latter only humming softly as a response, until something hit the bishop's interlocutor. "Ah, I see. Of course." she mused to herself in her native tongue, as she turned her attention back to the Nauchter envoy. "I apologise for bothering youse after having just arrived, but my cousin wanted to express to you how much she appreciated your last speech in... where was it, again?" Again, Great Matriarch Tuovi interjected towards Miia with body language and the ocasional mild grunt, but she couldn't bring her point across as she had just done, and Tuovi turned back to the conversation. "She wanted to tell youse how much your last public appearance where you mentioned how losing a limb in war had affected your life and in which you gave words of advice to other veterans who had suffered similar injuries in the line of duty meant to her, a month or two back. Two? Two months ago." The silent matriarch nodded along. "She wanted to tell youse herself that, in spite of not really sharing a religion, she appreciated your wisdom and wanted to say how much that speech meant to her. She even recorded it, didn't you, cousin?" The silent woman nodded. "Yeah, she just wanted to tell you this." Having said that, they noticed they hadn't even greeted the Arcbhbishop's comànions, which they decided to correct by giving them a salute in turn.

Anowa wrote:Lena had initially avoided going to any other country in her life specifically for this reason. Because they were all doing better than her home. On their trip from the airport to the castle, Lena hadn't seen any food bank lines, no frozen bodies in alleyways, no boarded up and out of business stores. The buildings here had some measure of color and respect for the people living in them. Compared to the overcapacity homeless shelters, four bodies a morning, 24% unemployment rate, the grey and monolithic nature of Anowan post war architecture that had studies about it indicating that it was one of the primary causes of Anowa's almost biblical suicide rate. Lena had stayed up for a good four days going to town on legislation that could help, but even then she knew it would barely make a dent in her home's endemic problems.

With a sigh, Lena thought about how much she was going to miss Anowa's coinage, "Well..." a pause, as Lena looked for any words to say that wouldn't kill the mood, "It's not quite as frigid, which I suppose is a good thing for tonight." Lena's subconscious felt like adding "The buildings don't cause mental illness." but figured that such a thing could easily be taken wrong.

"Ah, I see. Personally, I'm not a stranger to colder weathers, but it's still a bit colder from what I usually see back in my native Abula." The Kaisar said. He looked around and continued speaking as he scanned the room. "I do have heard, the cold makes ones appreciates the warmth of hearth better."

"Well, it makes sense" the Kaisar's sister interjected. "particularly considering how the Matriarchy is in a much better place now than it was not ten years ago. Terrorism, drugs everywhere, Young people dying of overdose on the streets, and worse."

“And then there’s how the queendom was at the end tail of the Unification”, the head of the Union added, with his companion nodding at this assesment as she thanked the waiter as he brought the requested orders to the table. “This castle used to be an execution site for thosse opposing the previous monarch, if memory served right. You would have to ask Great Matriarch Eshia about it, though.” They didn’t say anything, but two of the Kaisar’s bodyguards, the ones that looked to be older, seemed to agree with the statement judging by their facial language.

“It’s rather curious, how terrible things that look completely unavoidable can be changed for the better by the proper leadership. Even if said leadership is too young to even consider those problems fixable in the first place.” As he finished speaking, he looked back the Anowan monarch. The man’s rather noticeable blue eyes gazed into the younger monarch’s. “And truth be told, those people who have to brave those problems have not only my admiration, but also my respect. As a monarch, and as a person.”

The Kaisar’s support for the Anowan queen’s efforts was rather blatant at this point even if he tried to mask it under a thin veneer of an aimless conversation, but he wanted to bring it across. Truth be told, he saw part of himself on Lena V, the same part that was overwhelmed by the cost needed to make the Union a reality but still pushed through. He didn’t get much support back when he was in a position similar to hers’, so something within himself compelled him to tell her there was someone who knew what she was going through and who admired her for taking the complicated road ahead of her when avoiding it and maintaining the status quo was much, much easier, even if they weren’t necessarily in the same side.

“But enough of that” the Kaisar said, letting his comments linger between those present without starting a scene or inviting eavesdroppers to pay attention to them. “I imagine you’ve Heard a lot of me. Is there anything you would like to ask of me? We won’t be getting many chances to do this in the future, so it’s about the perfect time to get to know eachother beyond headlines in a newspaper or intelligence reports.

Saradena wrote:The party make their way through the crowd, when Kotori hears a familiar voice calling her nearby, upon turning her head towards the origin, it was Princess, or, well, Great Matriarch Historia. "Miss Historia! It's good to see you again!" Kotori greets back as she hugs her. "I've been doing great. How about you?" She then introduces her to her father, and then to Aheko, who was visibly pale, completely overwhelmed by her shyness to foreigners.

"Ah, sorry, Aheko here is just a really shy person, but she's a really great friend once you get to know her." Aheko gives a respectful bow to Historia after Kotori introduces her, still pale and not noticing her mother who was right beside her.[/blocktext]

"I'm fine, thank you. It was a bit of a pain to get used to not having depth perception, but like everything, you eventually get used to it. It's nice to see my old self defense teacher again, even if I turned out to be a disappointment as a student." She gave a polite laugh, and then greeted both the former president and the young Esgonian envoy. "It's an honor to meet you, Aheko. I'm Great Matriarch Historia, but you can just call me Historia. This is my steward and bodyguard, Selma Jousten, and of course, you probably already know my mother, Kaisarine Sigbritt Väisänen."

"Please, Lieutenant Väisänen will do. I'm here as a veteran of the Unionst Army, not as Kaisarine of the Union." The Kaisarine smiled at the Esgonian party as she towered over most of them. "Mr. Erhart, it's great to meet you again. Aheko, I am honored to meet your acquintance." The Liyomesse woman told to them in a calm, friendly manner. In spite of her station and reputation, she showed a rather calm yet dignified demeanour.

"I hope you are enjoying your visit to my motherland." The Kaisarine said. She seemed genuinely pleased, like someone meeting an old friend after a long time - which, after her stint in Donner Land and in the cases of both the Esgonian expresident and his daughter, was true.
Last edited by Union Of Autocratic Empires on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my nation's soundtrack!
Our History
The Unionist Federal Council

UoAE is pursuing a new research. They claim that what they're doing is the missing link. A waifu to surpass Metal Sugoi.
Damnit, Nation, I'm a writer, not a military consultant. I write about impossible and cool things, wether they are realist or not.
Long live Azenyanistan! The true heart of Sishai!

Nauchrtenfield
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nauchrtenfield » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:46 am

Union Of Autocratic Empires wrote:
Nauchrtenfield wrote:

"The honor is ours, Archbishop" Arkenström Matriarch Miia said as she shook hands with the Nauchtern man, with her companion following suite, with considerably more enthusiasm even if she remained silent, which they both followed with a military salute of their own. "I apologise for bothering you after you just-" The woman was interrupted by her compatriot, however, who nudged her in the ribs and interjected with her gaze. The former seemed confused for a few seconds, not helped by the latter only humming softly as a response, until something hit the bishop's interlocutor. "Ah, I see. Of course." she mused to herself in her native tongue, as she turned her attention back to the Nauchter envoy. "I apologise for bothering youse after having just arrived, but my cousin wanted to express to you how much she appreciated your last speech in... where was it, again?" Again, Great Matriarch Tuovi interjected towards Miia with body language and the ocasional mild grunt, but she couldn't bring her point across as she had just done, and Tuovi turned back to the conversation. "She wanted to tell youse how much your last public appearance where you mentioned how losing a limb in war had affected your life and in which you gave words of advice to other veterans who had suffered similar injuries in the line of duty meant to her, a month or two back. Two? Two months ago." The silent matriarch nodded along. "She wanted to tell youse herself that, in spite of not really sharing a religion, she appreciated your wisdom and wanted to say how much that speech meant to her. She even recorded it, didn't you, cousin?" The silent woman nodded. "Yeah, she just wanted to tell you this." Having said that, they noticed they hadn't even greeted the Arcbhbishop's comànions, which they decided to correct by giving them a salute in turn.

"The Great Matriarchs are not a bother, there is no need to expend an apology." Arkenström replied, before taking a few moments to shift his gaze between the two women before him, unsure of who to adress with the next part. Deciding that for whatever reason Miia had been "assigned" to speak as a proxy it would be most courteous to have his eyes rest on her when speaking. "Great Matriarch, youse words honour me, that the words of a lowly Shepard such as myself have had the privilege to have his words heard by one as elevated as a Great Matriarch. We may not share the same faith, but all are born as equal humans, drawn from the same River of Souls. If my service renders unto anyone even the slightest meaning, then that is sufficient." he said with no small amount of surprise, and it was genuine. His congregation was made up of naught but a few hundred souls, Nauchrtenfield having over the past fifty-odd years become one of the most, if not the most, secular nations on the globe. The Church in turn having changed it's "primary" focus to the social and cultural mission, rather then the faith spreading mission.

There where a fair few Nauchrten churches, parish halls and parsonages in the union, that much was true, but his own Sunday sermon rarely saw more then twenty or so souls attend in person. He and his peers had accepted this was the reality they lived in, and had adapted to serve the faith and humanity as best they could anyway. As such they had aimed to spread the sermon from beyond the walls of the churches, and since 2010 all sermons conducted by Nauchrten Church priests (with the exception of Field Priest on active deployment) had been recorded and later uploaded to the internet. Now most where even livestreamed, meaning that those that so wished could access any priests sermon from anywhere, provided you had a stable internet connection (and if not one can nowadays order for a small fee any number of sermons on ones physical media of choice)

Arkenström had a tendency to, as many of his peers did, draw from their own life when holding a sermon. Faith was a human affair after all, so why should one not draw from human lives. Even if the mages, dragons and mana of old was important. Having seen the horror of war, having payed the price to see the horror of war, and having had the privilege to render pastoral (and material) care to men of his own service, and even a few donnish citizens and POW he had many stories of his own that he could link to the faith, and life in general. Even if he always where light on the details, sadly one does not lose an arm in combat without getting some hidden scars as well.

He lost himself in thoughts for a few mere seconds, until a clearing of the throat from his side brought him back, he gave an apologetic look to his compatriot, and then back at the Unionists. "Great Matriarch Miia, Great Matriarch Tuovi. If I may." he said, and made a motion with his hand towards the woman to his side, whom snapped to an salute in response to the one given by the Matriarchs, and then spoke "Great Matriarch Miia, Great Matriarch Tuovi. I am Anna-Karin Smith. Military Attache to the diplomatic mission to the Union Of Autocratic Empires. It is my honour to meet the Great Matriarchs"

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat May 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Free Asian Ports wrote:Kimiko was never fond of socialites. It was the part of noble reality that she desperately wanted to avoid. Nothing more than a deep pool of vanity and prestige to throw around as though the world depended on it, a self-fulfilling prophecy which inexplicably binds matters of state to the feelings of the otherwise unemployed. Nobody born with a sword in hand should be forced to endure this... yet Kimiko's apparent destiny set her down this path. Whatever it was her father saw in her, she would have to throw into this situation. Think like a soldier? No, that's not what she needed. She couldn't think like a castle's concubine, so she'd have to think like the king.

Out of all the people present at the ball currently, the wife of the Secretary of State of Urran has decided to approach the heiress to the Nanasawa Clan. Out loud, Dr Miyake would perhaps rather be referred to personally with her honorifics (as Minister of Education). But, Kimiko could safely bet that she wasn't about to be quizzed on anything. Outwardly, she seemed pretty typical of Urran's political class: calculating and statuesque. Kimiko couldn't read minds, so it was hard to tell if Dr Miyake was secretly some other sort of person. Combined with the wording Chikako used, "My country has decided to grace the halls of the Union", she seemed to be framing their attendance at the ball as countries represented by characters. Hence, this isn't Dr Miyake talking to Lady Kimiko, it was the other half of the Secretary of State of Urran talking to the representative of the Nanasawa Clan to the Union. In fairness, that's why Kimiko showed up in a uniform. In the Urranese mindset, Chikako is attempting to engage Kimiko as though they themselves were the ostensibly allied states. It was very bold, and almost certainly untrue. It spoke to the vanity of the Urranese that the gathering of nobles is essentially individuals adopting the persona of nation-states. The truth is somewhat more complicated, but the socialite method is the path of least resistance.

"Ah, forgive my impropriety" Kimiko apologized, again in Urranese, giving a stately bow with due deference. As she rose, she presented her companions who also bowed politely when she introduced them as she had to Lady Adreanna. The impression she wanted to give Chikako was that she knew exactly what she was doing. Perhaps it was to annoy the woman or just to exercise her affectations for a bit. At the very least by the end of the conversation, she wanted to reassure the Urranese woman. It was going to be a weird path to get there, but that was the goal. But she'd do it her way. Kimiko continued, "I'm also looking forward to the festivities tonight, I feel it has been quite a while since I spoke with Lady Adreanna and Lady Historia, among other distinguished guests. I suppose I really only plan to have pleasant conversations, reaffirm the sisterhood as it were. Strength in numbers, as you know".

I really only plan to have pleasant conversations

In politics, double or even triple meaning were all too common. Often what was said was not what was meant or not entirely what was meant. Pleasant conversations. Just what was thought supposed to mean? Did Kimiko mean that she only wished to discuss pleasant things? Or perhaps she meant that she only wished to talk to pleasant people. Or, did she mean to imply that she had no intentions of turning the event into a all night binger. Then there was the rest of that line, "Reaffirm the sisterhood" and Strength in numbers".

Group dynamics in Urranese culture could be complicated. Kimiko was most definitely referring to a group that Chikako was not a part of. Of course not, she was too old for the sorts of things girls in Kimiko's age group were into. Out of touch. A party pooper. Still, could this be a political slight? Was this an implication that Urran was not in the sisterhood or counted amongst the numbers?

All of these calculations took place in less than a second in Chikako's mind. Perhaps she was overthinking it. She brushed the majority of the thoughts away.

"Sisterhood is very important." she replied pleasantry. "Especially at your age. Nights such as this will be remembered well into your old age....for better or worse." she said, not so subtly implying that impulsiveness at such events may be regretted for a lifetime.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Ex-Nation

Lady Adreana's 5th Annual Charity Ball [Alithea Only] [IC]

Postby Free Asian Ports » Sun May 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Urran wrote:
Free Asian Ports wrote:Kimiko was never fond of socialites. It was the part of noble reality that she desperately wanted to avoid. Nothing more than a deep pool of vanity and prestige to throw around as though the world depended on it, a self-fulfilling prophecy which inexplicably binds matters of state to the feelings of the otherwise unemployed. Nobody born with a sword in hand should be forced to endure this... yet Kimiko's apparent destiny set her down this path. Whatever it was her father saw in her, she would have to throw into this situation. Think like a soldier? No, that's not what she needed. She couldn't think like a castle's concubine, so she'd have to think like the king.

I really only plan to have pleasant conversations

In politics, double or even triple meaning were all too common. Often what was said was not what was meant or not entirely what was meant. Pleasant conversations. Just what was thought supposed to mean? Did Kimiko mean that she only wished to discuss pleasant things? Or perhaps she meant that she only wished to talk to pleasant people. Or, did she mean to imply that she had no intentions of turning the event into a all night binger. Then there was the rest of that line, "Reaffirm the sisterhood" and Strength in numbers".

Group dynamics in Urranese culture could be complicated. Kimiko was most definitely referring to a group that Chikako was not a part of. Of course not, she was too old for the sorts of things girls in Kimiko's age group were into. Out of touch. A party pooper. Still, could this be a political slight? Was this an implication that Urran was not in the sisterhood or counted amongst the numbers?

All of these calculations took place in less than a second in Chikako's mind. Perhaps she was overthinking it. She brushed the majority of the thoughts away.

"Sisterhood is very important." she replied pleasantry. "Especially at your age. Nights such as this will be remembered well into your old age....for better or worse." she said, not so subtly implying that impulsiveness at such events may be regretted for a lifetime.

Nights such as this will be remembered well into your old age

They usually don't. Unhealthy amounts of alcohol have basically blurred Kimiko's recollection of most parties into a smear. That doesn't, of course, prevent her from keeping her head both during and after these events. Best not to tell her that, anyways.

for better or worse

Aaaand, there's the cliché. Finally starting to be a bit more transparent, though Kimiko was sure this wasn't going to be a pep talk. The Urranese diplomat was, of course, going to moralize to her about something. Almost predictable, really. It opened up a number of possible directions the conversation was going to go. First, building off the idea that the Urranese diplomat was representing Urran and Kimiko was representing Yamatai, Chikako would politely reprimand her famously rowdy behavior as either embarrassing Yamatai or Urran by relation. Second, and less likely, Chikako was going to reprimand her personally in order to establish dominance and set the tone of future conversation (negotiation). Third, and least likely but still well within the stereotype of the arrogant Urranese politico, she was hinting that Urran intended to use the event to do something notable or impressive and that Kimiko should take note. All options were pretty tiring anyways, but she was in no position to run away or screw around here. Perhaps she was really an introvert? Ah, but the situation needed to be dealt with. Lets try...

"I'm sure I will. It's not every day you get to meet a high ranking member of the Urranese government. Having a presence at the ball after so many years of absence must mean something important to you. If it's not too rude to ask, what are your own plans for tonight? I'm sure there are more important diplomats to meet than my lowly self."

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Free Asian Ports wrote:Nights such as this will be remembered well into your old age

They usually don't. Unhealthy amounts of alcohol have basically blurred Kimiko's recollection of most parties into a smear. That doesn't, of course, prevent her from keeping her head both during and after these events. Best not to tell her that, anyways.

for better or worse

Aaaand, there's the cliché. Finally starting to be a bit more transparent, though Kimiko was sure this wasn't going to be a pep talk. The Urranese diplomat was, of course, going to moralize to her about something. Almost predictable, really. It opened up a number of possible directions the conversation was going to go. First, building off the idea that the Urranese diplomat was representing Urran and Kimiko was representing Yamatai, Chikako would politely reprimand her famously rowdy behavior as either embarrassing Yamatai or Urran by relation. Second, and less likely, Chikako was going to reprimand her personally in order to establish dominance and set the tone of future conversation (negotiation). Third, and least likely but still well within the stereotype of the arrogant Urranese politico, she was hinting that Urran intended to use the event to do something notable or impressive and that Kimiko should take note. All options were pretty tiring anyways, but she was in no position to run away or screw around here. Perhaps she was really an introvert? Ah, but the situation needed to be dealt with. Lets try...

"I'm sure I will. It's not every day you get to meet a high ranking member of the Urranese government. Having a presence at the ball after so many years of absence must mean something important to you. If it's not too rude to ask, what are your own plans for tonight? I'm sure there are more important diplomats to meet than my lowly self."

There it was, the classic double play of exaggerated praise and false modesty. It was politics 101. Inflate someone's ego and downplay your own contributions or accomplishments and you could have someone totally under your spell. Many politicians ate. it. up. That was the weakness of many and the strength of others. Politics was full of ego maniacs. Chikako was not one of them.

"Oh, please" she gave a dainty chuckle and small smile. "You needn't be so modest Nanasawa San. You honor me with your kindness." She replied with a high honorific. Not Nanasawa chan or Nanasawa kouhai. Nanasawa SAN. A full fledged member of her family, heiress to all that entailed, and noblewoman worthy of the title. A parry to Kimiko's own flattery. Chikako hadn't taken the bait.

"I have no plans for the night, save to celebrate the birth of our dear Unionist compatriot. It is a high honor for us to personally receive such an invitation. I hope we can prove ourselves worthy of it." She said with a tilt of her head. So she did know all of the guests were personally invited. This certainly implied a test.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Asian Ports » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Urran wrote:
Free Asian Ports wrote:Nights such as this will be remembered well into your old age

for better or worse

There it was, the classic double play of exaggerated praise and false modesty. It was politics 101. Inflate someone's ego and downplay your own contributions or accomplishments and you could have someone totally under your spell. Many politicians ate. it. up. That was the weakness of many and the strength of others. Politics was full of ego maniacs. Chikako was not one of them.

"Oh, please" she gave a dainty chuckle and small smile. "You needn't be so modest Nanasawa San. You honor me with your kindness." She replied with a high honorific. Not Nanasawa chan or Nanasawa kouhai. Nanasawa SAN. A full fledged member of her family, heiress to all that entailed, and noblewoman worthy of the title. A parry to Kimiko's own flattery. Chikako hadn't taken the bait.

"I have no plans for the night, save to celebrate the birth of our dear Unionist compatriot. It is a high honor for us to personally receive such an invitation. I hope we can prove ourselves worthy of it." She said with a tilt of her head. So she did know all of the guests were personally invited. This certainly implied a test.

You honor me with your kindness

At this point, the pleasantries started getting gratuitous. Kimiko could deal with introductions, but two or three levels deep into reciprocal nonsense without a specific reason to be so flattering was grating to her. A few more of these and she'd pop a nerve, though with some self-control she wouldn't vocalize it. A subject change was in order, or a distraction.

I have no plans for the night, save to celebrate the birth of our dear Unionist compatriot.

That seemed to do. Kimiko simply strained a smile at that. Was this supposed to be Lady Adreana's birthday party? She could've sworn this was the annual charity for Azenyanistan and its disparate successor states and various associated refugee crises. It wasn't exactly the number one topic on people's minds, but it was technically the reason for this ball. The Nanasawa clan had even made their regular donation this year, as they'd done for the previous four. Either Chikako knew something the rest of high society didn't or she'd just made herself look a bit silly. Smartly, Kimiko suppressed the urge to verbally call her out on it and save the Urranese woman the shame.

Nodding along, she decided to push the conversation in a different direction without acknowledging the fluke. "Indeed, though I'd love to hear a conversation between yourself and our generous hosts. The topic of the former Azenyanistan can be touchy, especially considering the trouble it seems to get our governments into. Hopefully, for the sake of our mutual reputations, it won't become a flashpoint. But I live for a fight, so, who knows" she chuckled, hoping to pass the last part off as a joke.

Not having the courtly skills to read the situation, Lieutenant Murimoto leaned over to Captain Khalina and whispered "Isn't this a charity ball for Azen?", to which the latter discreetly shrugged in equal confusion.
Last edited by Free Asian Ports on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Free Asian Ports wrote:[spoiler]

At this point, the pleasantries started getting gratuitous. Kimiko could deal with introductions, but two or three levels deep into reciprocal nonsense without a specific reason to be so flattering was grating to her. A few more of these and she'd pop a nerve, though with some self-control she wouldn't vocalize it. A subject change was in order, or a distraction.

I have no plans for the night, save to celebrate the birth of our dear Unionist compatriot.

That seemed to do. Kimiko simply strained a smile at that. Was this supposed to be Lady Adreana's birthday party? She could've sworn this was the annual charity for Azenyanistan and its disparate successor states and various associated refugee crises. It wasn't exactly the number one topic on people's minds, but it was technically the reason for this ball. The Nanasawa clan had even made their regular donation this year, as they'd done for the previous four. Either Chikako knew something the rest of high society didn't or she'd just made herself look a bit silly. Smartly, Kimiko suppressed the urge to verbally call her out on it and save the Urranese woman the shame.

Nodding along, she decided to push the conversation in a different direction without acknowledging the fluke. "Indeed, though I'd love to hear a conversation between yourself and our generous hosts. The topic of the former Azenyanistan can be touchy, especially considering the trouble it seems to get our governments into. Hopefully, for the sake of our mutual reputations, it won't become a flashpoint. But I live for a fight, so, who knows" she chuckled, hoping to pass the last part off as a joke.

Not having the courtly skills to read the situation, Lieutenant Murimoto leaned over to Captain Khalina and whispered "Isn't this a charity ball for Azen?", to which the latter discreetly shrugged in equal confusion.

Chikako suddenly hardened at that. Kimiko was right, Azenyanistan was quite a touchy subject, so touchy, in fact, that the Urranese had come to regard the ball as nothing more but a celebration of the host, rather than force themselves to acknowledge the true reason for the event. Billions of funds lost, Urranese lives cut short on the battlefield, and for what? A people so inept and weak willed that they collapsed time and time again causing yet more headaches for everyone involved. They were like children and needed a firm hand to guide them. They were wholly underserving of a country for themselves and the mention of the old name was most unwelcomed.

"Azenyanistan is dead." she replied calmly. "Though I am eager to see how the Federation gets on. Hopefully a better future is possible...."
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Asian Ports » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:48 pm

Urran wrote:
Free Asian Ports wrote:

Chikako suddenly hardened at that. Kimiko was right, Azenyanistan was quite a touchy subject, so touchy, in fact, that the Urranese had come to regard the ball as nothing more but a celebration of the host, rather than force themselves to acknowledge the true reason for the event. Billions of funds lost, Urranese lives cut short on the battlefield, and for what? A people so inept and weak willed that they collapsed time and time again causing yet more headaches for everyone involved. They were like children and needed a firm hand to guide them. They were wholly underserving of a country for themselves and the mention of the old name was most unwelcomed.

"Azenyanistan is dead." she replied calmly. "Though I am eager to see how the Federation gets on. Hopefully a better future is possible...."

Chikako suddenly hardened at that.

Watching Chikako's face turn cold at the subject of Azenyanistan, Kimiko realized she'd struck a nerve. It might be an over-and-done thing for Yamatai, but Urran was still in the thick of it in its own small way. Yamataians take this opportunity to reflect and contemplate the future, while the Urranese either try to ignore it or plan their next move. Kimiko made her own sacrifices in Azenyanistan, and she definitely has a different opinion on the region than the average citizen or politico. But even she understands the trauma and fatigue of Azenyanistan's constant state of collapse. To her, however, the chaotic and wild expanse restored her energy with every firefight. Restoring hope to the citizens of Azenyanistan and demonstrating the superiority of her Empire were why she fought, and there was surely enough of that to be had at war.

"Azenyanistan is dead"

Perhaps, and for the best. Something needed to change, after all...

"Hopefully a better future is possible..."

Ultimately, this is where the kernel of defeatism and fatigue lies. Kimiko long ago learned that to overcome mere possibilities, one needed to exert agency. Act in such a way that possibilities become options and "hopefully" becomes a decisive outcome. Commitment is the core of discipline, and discipline is vital to a long-term occupation. Inevitably, to win in Azenyanistan requires an occupation. The indignant rejection of Vanquaria's reckless land-grabs missed the wisdom in its simplicity that only during service did Kimiko understand. Only through conquest is an investment like was made in Azenyanistan worth it. Not that the Urranese would be comforted by such a thought...

Kimiko sighed dramatically. "The future of Azenyanistan is the future of the Federation, it is what they make it. If you want stability and a more permanent state, I can only say that persistence is what will make or break the Fed. For now, at least, the investments the Union is currently making seem to be keeping status quo. That's the best you can hope for without direct intervention, which no doubt our respective governments aren't too fond of these days" she said, at length. Evidently it was her area of interest, Kimiko finding herself drifting into the mindset of an obsessed analyst or even, monstrously in context, a fan of the drama. Naturally, she found herself keeping a respectable distance from the topic without retreating from it. She continued, "Even if we wanted to guarantee our place in Sishai beyond our position in Iodinae, we have our eyes firmly fixed on Luscios. While Azenyanistan was never maximally popular with Yamataians at large, we have an opportunity in Vallinté to do what we failed at accomplishing in Azenyanistan. I think our government has the resolve to do that, and even I'm itching for a deployment to the jungle".

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Free Asian Ports wrote:
Chikako suddenly hardened at that.

Watching Chikako's face turn cold at the subject of Azenyanistan, Kimiko realized she'd struck a nerve. It might be an over-and-done thing for Yamatai, but Urran was still in the thick of it in its own small way. Yamataians take this opportunity to reflect and contemplate the future, while the Urranese either try to ignore it or plan their next move. Kimiko made her own sacrifices in Azenyanistan, and she definitely has a different opinion on the region than the average citizen or politico. But even she understands the trauma and fatigue of Azenyanistan's constant state of collapse. To her, however, the chaotic and wild expanse restored her energy with every firefight. Restoring hope to the citizens of Azenyanistan and demonstrating the superiority of her Empire were why she fought, and there was surely enough of that to be had at war.

"Azenyanistan is dead"

Perhaps, and for the best. Something needed to change, after all...

"Hopefully a better future is possible..."

Ultimately, this is where the kernel of defeatism and fatigue lies. Kimiko long ago learned that to overcome mere possibilities, one needed to exert agency. Act in such a way that possibilities become options and "hopefully" becomes a decisive outcome. Commitment is the core of discipline, and discipline is vital to a long-term occupation. Inevitably, to win in Azenyanistan requires an occupation. The indignant rejection of Vanquaria's reckless land-grabs missed the wisdom in its simplicity that only during service did Kimiko understand. Only through conquest is an investment like was made in Azenyanistan worth it. Not that the Urranese would be comforted by such a thought...

Kimiko sighed dramatically. "The future of Azenyanistan is the future of the Federation, it is what they make it. If you want stability and a more permanent state, I can only say that persistence is what will make or break the Fed. For now, at least, the investments the Union is currently making seem to be keeping status quo. That's the best you can hope for without direct intervention, which no doubt our respective governments aren't too fond of these days" she said, at length. Evidently it was her area of interest, Kimiko finding herself drifting into the mindset of an obsessed analyst or even, monstrously in context, a fan of the drama. Naturally, she found herself keeping a respectable distance from the topic without retreating from it. She continued, "Even if we wanted to guarantee our place in Sishai beyond our position in Iodinae, we have our eyes firmly fixed on Luscios. While Azenyanistan was never maximally popular with Yamataians at large, we have an opportunity in Vallinté to do what we failed at accomplishing in Azenyanistan. I think our government has the resolve to do that, and even I'm itching for a deployment to the jungle".

The future of Azenyanistan is the future of the Federation.

Oh? Indeed? Chikako did not share Kimiko's assessment of the situation. While it was true that the vast majority of the former Azen land was now the Federation, it was not believed by many to be an Azen state, being home to so many more ethnic groups. Still, the Federation had yet to prove itself in the eyes of certain foreign powers. The world was still holding its breath. Would the Fed stand firm, or would it too fall before the first storm that blew its way.....No....Chikako did not think the future of Azenyanistan was the future of the Federation. Azenyanistan was dead and buried, but now a new power was rising. The future of that land was for Urran to build in its own glorious image. The death of a tribal state, the birth of an empire, though, Kimiko likely wasn't aware of the latter, not yet.

The older woman reached out and set her empty champagne glass on the tray of a passing server, listening closely to the Yamatian speak.

I think our government has the resolve to do that, and even I'm itching for a deployment to the jungle

A soldier through and through. A tactician. Passionate. She might not be as politically astute as some, but she certainly knew her craft. It would be very interesting to see how the situation in Luscios developed at any rate.

"What is it that you intend to do?" Chikako asked. This was turning into a fascinating conversation and opinion was very much beginning to turn to Kimiko's favor. The younger woman's plan no doubt, though the results spoke for themselves.
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Asian Ports » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Urran wrote:The future of Azenyanistan is the future of the Federation.

Oh? Indeed? Chikako did not share Kimiko's assessment of the situation. While it was true that the vast majority of the former Azen land was now the Federation, it was not believed by many to be an Azen state, being home to so many more ethnic groups. Still, the Federation had yet to prove itself in the eyes of certain foreign powers. The world was still holding its breath. Would the Fed stand firm, or would it too fall before the first storm that blew its way.....No....Chikako did not think the future of Azenyanistan was the future of the Federation. Azenyanistan was dead and buried, but now a new power was rising. The future of that land was for Urran to build in its own glorious image. The death of a tribal state, the birth of an empire, though, Kimiko likely wasn't aware of the latter, not yet.

The older woman reached out and set her empty champagne glass on the tray of a passing server, listening closely to the Yamatian speak.

I think our government has the resolve to do that, and even I'm itching for a deployment to the jungle

A soldier through and through. A tactician. Passionate. She might not be as politically astute as some, but she certainly knew her craft. It would be very interesting to see how the situation in Luscios developed at any rate.

"What is it that you intend to do?" Chikako asked. This was turning into a fascinating conversation and opinion was very much beginning to turn to Kimiko's favor. The younger woman's plan no doubt, though the results spoke for themselves.

"What is it that you intend to do?"

Kimiko realized, perhaps a bit too late, she had been monologuing. That was new. In fact it was a bit frightening because she'd never done that before, not for anything as boring as geopolitics. Trying not to seem too embarrassed, she turned her head to scan the room and maybe spot some support from her companions.

"Oh, you know, wax romantic on better days. Perhaps ensure a future for the people of Vallinté in the way only an empire can". She turned her head back to face Chikako "War and sectionalism has ruined these people's lives more certainly than neglect ever could, the legacy of anti-imperialism. We would prove that nationalism was merely a phase in history... unless the Urranese disagree?"

Not to press the Urranese, certainly. Kimiko was aware there were many brands of imperialism regaining popularity due to the Azen wars, some of which Urran itself was experimenting with. Kimiko was simply hoping it was the sort that Yamatai could find a friend in, and not a rival.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Free Asian Ports wrote:[spoiler]

"What is it that you intend to do?"

Kimiko realized, perhaps a bit too late, she had been monologuing. That was new. In fact it was a bit frightening because she'd never done that before, not for anything as boring as geopolitics. Trying not to seem too embarrassed, she turned her head to scan the room and maybe spot some support from her companions.

"Oh, you know, wax romantic on better days. Perhaps ensure a future for the people of Vallinté in the way only an empire can". She turned her head back to face Chikako "War and sectionalism has ruined these people's lives more certainly than neglect ever could, the legacy of anti-imperialism. We would prove that nationalism was merely a phase in history... unless the Urranese disagree?"

Not to press the Urranese, certainly. Kimiko was aware there were many brands of imperialism regaining popularity due to the Azen wars, some of which Urran itself was experimenting with. Kimiko was simply hoping it was the sort that Yamatai could find a friend in, and not a rival.

Chikako did not answer right away. This one would take some thought. Nationalism a phase? Did Kimiko and the Yamatians have a different definition than Chikako did? Was it not a soldier's duty to love their nation above all others and see it as the best in the world? Urran was running high on that brand of nationalism at the moment. Perhaps she meant ultra nationalism, the brand where you thought it was impossible for your nation to do any wrong. Yes....that made more sense. At any rate, the Urranese sense of nationalism often extended to closely allied countries. many Urranese were proud. Proud of themselves. Proud of Yamatai. Proud of Esgonia and the Union. Proud of even Valaran. It had stepped out of the shadows, no longer a shrinking violet, but a proud, strong, wizened tree. What was wrong with a little patriotism?

"When children are allowed to be away from home for too long, they begin to forget who they are." She replied, not speaking of Kimiko of course, but of the nations that Urran and Yamatai now controlled. It was true, sometimes it took an empire with a strong hand to make the world a better place.
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

Free Asian Ports
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Asian Ports » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Urran wrote:Chikako did not answer right away. This one would take some thought. Nationalism a phase? Did Kimiko and the Yamatians have a different definition than Chikako did? Was it not a soldier's duty to love their nation above all others and see it as the best in the world? Urran was running high on that brand of nationalism at the moment. Perhaps she meant ultra nationalism, the brand where you thought it was impossible for your nation to do any wrong. Yes....that made more sense. At any rate, the Urranese sense of nationalism often extended to closely allied countries. many Urranese were proud. Proud of themselves. Proud of Yamatai. Proud of Esgonia and the Union. Proud of even Valaran. It had stepped out of the shadows, no longer a shrinking violet, but a proud, strong, wizened tree. What was wrong with a little patriotism?

"When children are allowed to be away from home for too long, they begin to forget who they are." She replied, not speaking of Kimiko of course, but of the nations that Urran and Yamatai now controlled. It was true, sometimes it took an empire with a strong hand to make the world a better place.

That sounded... agreeable, right? Diplomacy, she heard, involved a lot of reading the intentions of the other party. It would be a skill Kimiko has yet to learn since her own social tendencies led her to read a whole different set of intentions better than others. Whether or not Chikako was being deliberate about her reactions to idle chitchat and Kimiko's fountain of idealism. If there was a divergence of understanding, Kimiko couldn't read it from Chikako's reaction so she decided it wouldn't be worth the social energy to press that line anymore.

Kimiko shrugged, moving on. "Well, I'm not a mother so I wouldn't know what that's like" she joked. "I'm stuck in the present, or perhaps the future. Best not to dwell on what the past of Vallinté or Azen was, just what their future is. Perhaps we'll have a chance to talk on it in the future, a little more formally? Ah, but that's just political ambition talking. Surely you're more interested in something a little less... controversial?"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates