NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal GA# 498 Ban on Forced Blood Sports

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

[Draft] Repeal GA# 498 Ban on Forced Blood Sports

Postby 9003 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:08 pm

The General Assembly,

Commending the noble intentions of GA 498 “Ban on Forced Blood Sports”, a resolution which sought to place reasonable restrictions on blood sports in member nations and establish a process for handling former participants,

Concerned, however, that problematic wording and general sloppiness has largely undermined the effectiveness of this resolution, leading to a repeal being in the best interests of this Assembly,

Puzzled at the resolution outlawing all violent blood sports involving both sapient and non-sapient participants, even relatively humane ones in which the sapient participant is the only one in danger, by virtue of non-sapient participants being unable to provide informed consent,

Annoyed by the resolutions’ use of sapience as a means of determining “animal” status, thereby relying on consent from creatures not legally recognized as people and excluding said creatures from benefiting from the mandates of clause 4,

Recognizing that clause 4 of the target resolution only applies to “formerly captive” participants of blood sports, allowing member nations to dodge every one of its subclauses by keeping said participants in captivity,

Dismayed at subclause 4(d) requiring all formerly captive sapient participants to be “given their freedom” without any nuance other than incarceration for criminal conduct, even when said participants may be suffering from physical or mental trauma, or require assistance to reintegrate into society, or not even be legally recognized as people,

Confused at the resolution’s provision in subclause 4(b) for the relocation of animal participants to their “natural habitat” under certain circumstances, even when remaining in humane captivity would be in the best interest of said participants,

Understanding that a typographical error in subclause 4(a), while not extreme, nevertheless makes compliance difficult even for nations acting in good faith,

Noting that GA 23 “Ban on Slavery and Trafficking” already prohibits forced labor such as non-consentual blood sports, and

Believing that the extremely narrow scope of the target resolution along with the presence of a potential replacement by the same author prevent anything of value from being lost with the repeal of this resolution,

Hereby repeals GA 498 “Ban on Forced Blood Sports”.

Co-authored by Cretox State.

Seeing as the current repeal attempt that was submitted most likely will fail I'm drafting this to clear the way for the replacement that is currently being drafted on the forums. This is my first GA proposal but Cretox has helped author it.
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 pm

Note: I'm addressing Cretox in all my points.
The General Assembly,

Commending the noble intentions of GA 498 “Ban on Forced Blood Sports”, a resolution which sought to place reasonable restrictions on blood sports in member nations and establish a process for handling former participants,

So this is not just a repeal, it's a lazy repeal. You couldn't even be bothered to changed the first word of each clause?

Concerned, however, that problematic wording and general sloppiness has largely undermined the effectiveness of this resolution, leading to a repeal being in the best interests of this Assembly,

Assembly here should be 'assembly' instead.

Puzzled at the resolution outlawing all violent blood sports involving both sapient and non-sapient participants, even relatively humane ones in which the sapient participant is the only one in danger, by virtue of non-sapient participants being unable to provide informed consent,

While perhaps slightly draconian, I don't see this as bad or negative, because if you're consensually putting yourself at risk of death for entertainment of others which is pretty much Darwin award winning behaviour.

Annoyed by the resolutions’ use of sapience as a means of determining “animal” status, thereby relying on consent from creatures not legally recognized as people and excluding said creatures from benefiting from the mandates of clause 4,

This is a very silly clause. If you are sapient, you are able to consent. If you aren't, you can't, so you're an animal, but you still benefit. What's so difficult to understand?

Recognizing that clause 4 of the target resolution only applies to “formerly captive” participants of blood sports, allowing member nations to dodge every one of its subclauses by keeping said participants in captivity,

Okay, fair point, but it's largely moot because only keeping animals captive from before GA#498 till now would be legal, and they would had either died or escaped by now.

Dismayed at subclause 4(d) requiring all formerly captive sapient participants to be “given their freedom” without any nuance other than incarceration for criminal conduct, even when said participants may be suffering from physical or mental trauma, or require assistance to reintegrate into society, or not even be legally recognized as people,

So you want me to immediately lock up the former participants in the loony bin after getting their freedom? If you want to do that, write your own resolution. Don't use this to repeal animal rights.

Confused at the resolution’s provision in subclause 4(b) for the relocation of animal participants to their “natural habitat” under certain circumstances, even when remaining in humane captivity would be in the best interest of said participants,

I don't see a case where an animal that isn't abnormally harmful to people or animals would be better off in captivity than natural habitat. Example maybe?

[qupte]Understanding that a typographical error in subclause 4(a), while not extreme, nevertheless makes compliance difficult even for nations acting in good faith,[/quote]

Does it? If a nation acting in good faith can't execute that clause correctly, they need to take more literacy classes.

Noting that GA 23 “Ban on Slavery and Trafficking” already prohibits forced labor such as non-consentual blood sports, and

No, no, no. No, stop it. Bad grey parrot. Do not. This is not only extremely pointless as you recommend a replacement in the end, but it tells me you're grasping at straws for arguments.

Believing that the extremely narrow scope of the target resolution along with the presence of a potential replacement by the same author prevent anything of value from being lost with the repeal of this resolution,

If it were up to me, this would be an (dis)honest mistake for blatant lying. Yes, that thing of value being lost would be the temporary loss of an essential civil/animal rights law.

Seeing as the current repeal attempt that was submitted most likely will fail I'm drafting this to clear the way for the replacement that is currently being drafted on the forums. This is my first GA proposal but Cretox has helped author it.

I preferred the other one slightly. It was crap but at least it was written in good faith (I assume)
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Note: I'm addressing Cretox in all my points.

Then I suppose I'll be the one to respond to them.

Honeydewistania wrote:
The General Assembly,

So this is not just a repeal, it's a lazy repeal. You couldn't even be bothered to changed the first word of each clause?

What?

Honeydewistania wrote:

Assembly here should be 'assembly' instead.

Could change to ",thereby warranting a repeal" or similar.

Honeydewistania wrote:

While perhaps slightly draconian, I don't see this as bad or negative, because if you're consensually putting yourself at risk of death for entertainment of others which is pretty much Darwin award winning behaviour.

So why did you choose to allow consensual blood sports that only involve sapient participants? Your logic is inconsistent.

Honeydewistania wrote:

This is a very silly clause. If you are sapient, you are able to consent. If you aren't, you can't, so you're an animal, but you still benefit. What's so difficult to understand?

Even if you're a whale, dolphin, or other arguably sapient animal?

Honeydewistania wrote:

Okay, fair point, but it's largely moot because only keeping animals captive from before GA#498 till now would be legal, and they would had either died or escaped by now.

"Yeah the clause is useless but that's completely fine because it doesn't contribute anything!"

Honeydewistania wrote:

So you want me to immediately lock up the former participants in the loony bin after getting their freedom? If you want to do that, write your own resolution. Don't use this to repeal animal rights.

I'd like a resolution on the subject (say, your replacement on this forum right now) to be a bit more nuanced than "just give them their freedom lol."

Honeydewistania wrote:

I don't see a case where an animal that isn't abnormally harmful to people or animals would be better off in captivity than natural habitat. Example maybe?

If the animal is endangered, it the animal is a target of poaching, or for research purposes.

Honeydewistania wrote:
Understanding that a typographical error in subclause 4(a), while not extreme, nevertheless makes compliance difficult even for nations acting in good faith,

Does it? If a nation acting in good faith can't execute that clause correctly, they need to take more literacy classes.

If I'm reading the clause literally, I can't tell what it means. You have a replacement up, and it's still a problem with the target.

Honeydewistania wrote:

No, no, no. No, stop it. Bad grey parrot. Do not. This is not only extremely pointless as you recommend a replacement in the end, but it tells me you're grasping at straws for arguments.

Huh? The fact that little would be lost due to repealing this is important. And you yourself said that at least some of the repeal makes a "fair point".

Honeydewistania wrote:

If it were up to me, this would be an (dis)honest mistake for blatant lying. Yes, that thing of value being lost would be the temporary loss of an essential civil/animal rights law.

Hardly "essential" considering that part of it is already covered by GA 23, it only covers violent blood sports, it has issues, and you're drafting a replacement.

Honeydewistania wrote:

I preferred the other one slightly. It was crap but at least it was written in good faith (I assume)

That's why we're drafting on the forum. So it isn't crap and is also written in good faith. :D
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:

What?

Oh please. The structure of this is very similar to Repeal Rights of the Employed. Commend intentions, say its flawed, detail 'flaws', say that another resolution has been passed that covers it, hereby repeals.

Honeydewistania wrote:

So why did you choose to allow consensual blood sports that only involve sapient participants? Your logic is inconsistent.

True. Maybe I'll write a resolution to ban that then :p

Honeydewistania wrote:

Sapience in Rights of Sapient Species says that they have to have the ability to make logical judgements. If they are sapient, they would be able to consent, that's the generally agreed definition. Even if you let nations define whales to be sapient, and they can't consent themselves, then consent has not been acquired and they can't be put to the death. And if they say whales aren't sapient, then they get the animal protections. What's the issue here?

Honeydewistania wrote:

"Yeah the clause is useless but that's completely fine because it doesn't contribute anything!"

It's not useless, and while that flaw is unfortunate it isn't repeal worthy.

Honeydewistania wrote:

I'd like a resolution on the subject (say, your replacement on this forum right now) to be a bit more nuanced than "just give them their freedom lol."

So? You write a resolution that says 'member nations must help these captive people to be reintegrated into society', instead of repealing the whole thing, so we don't need a replacement.

Honeydewistania wrote:

If the animal is endangered, it the animal is a target of poaching, or for research purposes.

If it's endangered, and it requires to be kept in captivity, then that must be done as per Preventing Species Extinction. For research purposes the scientists can easily round them up again but this time in humane conditions as per Ethical Treatment of Animals in Research. If it's a target of poaching, well tough, but if someone wants to not let it get poached they can still protect it.

Honeydewistania wrote:

If I'm reading the clause literally, I can't tell what it means. You have a replacement up, and it's still a problem with the target.

If you read the clause literally and ignore the whole thing because of the spelling error, that's not really good faith.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Huh? The fact that little would be lost due to repealing this is important. And you yourself said that at least some of the repeal makes a "fair point".

???

My point here was that this clause is pointless. Why do you need to include this? You're saying that forced labour is already prohibited, so it's okay to repeal the whole thing. There are better arguments.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Hardly "essential" considering that part of it is already covered by GA 23, it only covers violent blood sports, it has issues, and you're drafting a replacement.

'It only covers violent blood sports' can you give me an example of a non-violent one that needs prohibition immediately? :blink:
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Elsie Mortimer Wellesley. The priestesses of Artemis bid us to support this proposal.

Notes in green.

9003 wrote:The General Assembly,

Puzzled at the resolution outlawing all violent blood sports involving both sapient and non-sapient For the underlined portion, substitute 'individual and animal'; there's no need for sci-fi babble. participants, even relatively humane ones in which the sapient participant is the only one in danger, by virtue of non-sapient participants being unable to provide informed consent,

Annoyed by the resolutions’ use of sapience as a means of determining “animal” status, thereby relying on consent from creatures not legally recognized as people and excluding said creatures from benefiting from the mandates of clause 4, Possible rephrase to something more along the lines that 'it is impossible to determine whether an animal consents or refuses consent to a fight'. I'm reminded of bucks fighting, placing two bucks in the same place probably leads to a consensual fight. Also, most animals, after you start actually fighting them, will fight back. Is that consent?

Dismayed at subclause 4(d) requiring For the underlined portion, substitute '4(d), which requires...' all formerly captive sapient participants to be “given their freedom” without any nuance other than incarceration for criminal conduct, even when said participants may be suffering from physical or mental trauma, or require assistance to reintegrate into society, or not even be legally recognized as people, All sapients are people per GA 355 (or something around there). That said, you could say that criminals who are previously sentenced for heinous crimes are not necessarily safe to reintegrate into society.

Confused at the resolution’s provision in subclause 4(b) for the relocation of animal participants to their “natural habitat” under certain circumstances, even when remaining in humane captivity would be in the best interest of said participants, Perhaps add impacts related to habitat destruction or hunting.

Understanding that a typographical error in subclause 4(a), while not extreme, nevertheless makes compliance difficult even for nations acting in good faith, How?

Noting that GA 23 “Ban on Slavery and Trafficking” already prohibits forced labor such as non-consentual blood sports, and As I noted in the other thread, non-consensual blood sports are just assault and or murder. Insofar as member nations should be expected to have laws against such things, they already will be prohibited. Note also that government sponsorship of such activities as a form of capital punishment are prohibited by GA 443 'P Innocents'.

Consider also rewriting the proposal in terms of a court style repeal, which offers a clear thematic organisation rather than forcing verbs to separate clauses. Consider also reorganising the clauses to place the most important disadvantages to the top.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:
What?

Oh please. The structure of this is very similar to Repeal Rights of the Employed. Commend intentions, say its flawed, detail 'flaws', say that another resolution has been passed that covers it, hereby repeals.

Yes. This is a repeal. That is a structure for repeals. You're being ridiculous.

Honeydewistania wrote:

True. Maybe I'll write a resolution to ban that then :p

You have a replacement up on this forum. That seems like a good opportunity...

Honeydewistania wrote:

Sapience in Rights of Sapient Species says that they have to have the ability to make logical judgements. If they are sapient, they would be able to consent, that's the generally agreed definition. Even if you let nations define whales to be sapient, and they can't consent themselves, then consent has not been acquired and they can't be put to the death. And if they say whales aren't sapient, then they get the animal protections. What's the issue here?

That's precisely the problem. The sapient non-people would be unable to consent, thereby prohibiting any blood sports involving them and a consenting sapient.

Honeydewistania wrote:

~46.0% of a resolution (by character count) being completely ignorable in good faith "isn't repeal worthy"? Aw shucks man, we just can't repeal stuff for being poorly written.

Honeydewistania wrote:

So? You write a resolution that says 'member nations must help these captive people to be reintegrated into society', instead of repealing the whole thing, so we don't need a replacement.

Or, and hear me out, we repeal this for its other problems and you incorporate something of the sort into your replacement.

Honeydewistania wrote:

If it's endangered, and it requires to be kept in captivity, then that must be done as per Preventing Species Extinction. For research purposes the scientists can easily round them up again but this time in humane conditions as per Ethical Treatment of Animals in Research. If it's a target of poaching, well tough, but if someone wants to not let it get poached they can still protect it.

Being able to sort of work around a problem with enough finagling doesn't make it any less of a problem.

Honeydewistania wrote:

If you read the clause literally and ignore the whole thing because of the spelling error, that's not really good faith.

Why not? Is it not the author's responsibility to proofread their proposals?

Honeydewistania wrote:

???

My point here was that this clause is pointless. Why do you need to include this? You're saying that forced labour is already prohibited, so it's okay to repeal the whole thing. There are better arguments.

I present to you: Repeal:Protecting [sic] Sites of Religious Significance. Anyway, this isn't primarily an argument for repeal. It mainly exists to stymie the inevitable opposition over this being somehow too important to repeal.

Honeydewistania wrote:

'It only covers violent blood sports' can you give me an example of a non-violent one that needs prohibition immediately? :blink:

You misunderstand. The resolution's scope is limited to violent blood sports, not greater civil/animal rights. It's hardly "essential". This is the inevitable "too important to repeal" argument I referred to, which, again, is amusing considering you're actively drafting a replacement.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:--snip--

Will consult with the author about implementing these suggestions. Regarding court style, we'll see how it looks.
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:16 pm

The argument that X is a solved problem is an argument to the unimportance of the issue that is itself attempting to be resolved. Imagine, eg, an argument over pesticide regulations. If no regulations are actually necessary, there is no reason to burden anyone with enforcing them; if there is no problem to be resolved, there are no benefits to action. If a problem is already resolved satisfactorily, the same applies.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:

That's precisely the problem. The sapient non-people would be unable to consent, thereby prohibiting any blood sports involving them and a consenting sapient.

What's the problem here? They are unable to consent, so they can't consent, so they don't participate.

Honeydewistania wrote:

~46.0% of a resolution (by character count) being completely ignorable in good faith "isn't repeal worthy"? Aw shucks man, we just can't repeal stuff for being poorly written.

:eyebrow: How are the rest of three clauses able to be ignored because of a typo? The other three aren't exactly dependent on the first one. The first one is barely ignorable in the first place.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Or, and hear me out, we repeal this for its other problems and you incorporate something of the sort into your replacement.

So Repeal GMO It'l Trade Accord's 'replacement' couldn't have selectively breeded animals incorporated into them?

Honeydewistania wrote:

Being able to sort of work around a problem with enough finagling doesn't make it any less of a problem.

Actually, it does, so it's not a problem. You are not prohibited from rounding up the animals again for research.

Honeydewistania wrote:

It is my responsibility, yes, but it is the duty of member nations to follow resolutions in good faith.

Honeydewistania wrote:
???

I present to you: Repeal:Protecting [sic] Sites of Religious Significance. Anyway, this isn't primarily an argument for repeal. It mainly exists to stymie the inevitable opposition over this being somehow too important to repeal.

I don't see GA#23 banning animal blood sports, but I do see GA#287 protecting culturally significant religious sites.

Honeydewistania wrote:

You misunderstand. The resolution's scope is limited to violent blood sports, not greater civil/animal rights. It's hardly "essential". This is the inevitable "too important to repeal" argument I referred to, which, again, is amusing considering you're actively drafting a replacement.

I guess I'll delete my replacement so your entire repeal collapses :p

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 pm

This is pathetic, it seems like it is some strange two-partied fight, or a badge-hunt. I am in disbelief that Cretox would let their name be put on this. I'd like to give constructive feedback, but I'm just going to try get you to take this draft down, and prevent people from approving it.
9003 wrote:Concerned, however, that problematic wording and general sloppiness has largely undermined the effectiveness of this resolution,

Don't fight sloppiness with sloppiness.

Did you read 4(c) of the resolution?: "if an animal blood sport participant cannot be relocated to its natural habitat due to the above, the former participant must either be euthanised humanely, or contained in a secure and safe rehabilitative environment until that participant can be safely released or relocated in accordance with clause 4(b)"

No, it does not.

There is some overlap, but "Ban On Forced Blood Sports," notably provides reparations for those harmed by forced blood sports in the past, and also "prohibits all forms of blood sports involving animals in which there is a significant possibility of serious injury or death."

Disappointed.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:52 pm

TUMS, 4(c) is for non-sapeints, 4(d) is for sapients, so not applicable.

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:. I am in disbelief that Cretox would let their name be put on this.

You sure? I on the other hand am in disbelief that Cretox didn't just write the whole thing, considering the style and types of arguments.
Hi

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:09 pm

Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada wrote:TUMS, 4(c) is for non-sapeints, 4(d) is for sapients, so not applicable.

Ah, that is my bad, I was thinking of the reference in the clause before the operatives ("for the safety and protection of all sentient being"). In which case that is an okay argument, although to be honest the writing of it all is confusing. I agree with IA in that 'sapient' and 'non-sapient' should be substituted with 'individual' and 'animal.'
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:Did you read 4(c) of the resolution?: "if an animal blood sport participant cannot be relocated to its natural habitat due to the above, the former participant must either be euthanised humanely, or contained in a secure and safe rehabilitative environment until that participant can be safely released or relocated in accordance with clause 4(b)"

The word participant in that clause deals only with animal blood sport participants. This is implied also by section 4(d)'s use of 'all non-animal blood sport participants', which draws a clear exclusive distinction therefrom.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:05 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:

What's the problem here? They are unable to consent, so they can't consent, so they don't participate.

The problem is that their physiological inability to consent precludes those who can consent from participating.

Honeydewistania wrote:

:eyebrow: How are the rest of three clauses able to be ignored because of a typo? The other three aren't exactly dependent on the first one. The first one is barely ignorable in the first place.

Did I make a mistake in what I replied to? I wasn't referring to the typo; I was referring to the "formerly captive" part.

Honeydewistania wrote:

So Repeal GMO It'l Trade Accord's 'replacement' couldn't have selectively breeded animals incorporated into them?

Yes, the 'replacement' could. The difference being that selectively bred animals are a different area of legislation, intentionally so. "Give them their freedom lol" isn't.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Actually, it does, so it's not a problem. You are not prohibited from rounding up the animals again for research.

So bad writing being circumventable if one tries hard enough makes it not bad writing anymore? Noted.

Honeydewistania wrote:

It is my responsibility, yes, but it is the duty of member nations to follow resolutions in good faith.

The typo isn't a major argument, it is an issue, and it would be very easy to correct in the replacement.

Honeydewistania wrote:

I don't see GA#23 banning animal blood sports, but I do see GA#287 protecting culturally significant religious sites.

GA 23 bans forced labor, you know this. I'm not willing to go so far as IA might be suggesting I do and claim that GA 23 removes any use for legislation in this area.

Honeydewistania wrote:

I guess I'll delete my replacement so your entire repeal collapses :p

Be my guest. It's your proposal.

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:This is pathetic, it seems like it is some strange two-partied fight, or a badge-hunt. I am in disbelief that Cretox would let their name be put on this. I'd like to give constructive feedback, but I'm just going to try get you to take this draft down, and prevent people from approving it.

Actual constructive feedback would be appreciated.

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:
9003 wrote:Concerned, however, that problematic wording and general sloppiness has largely undermined the effectiveness of this resolution,

Don't fight sloppiness with sloppiness.

Alright.

Did you read 4(c) of the resolution?: "if an animal blood sport participant cannot be relocated to its natural habitat due to the above, the former participant must either be euthanised humanely, or contained in a secure and safe rehabilitative environment until that participant can be safely released or relocated in accordance with clause 4(b)"

You're missing the point. Again, the problem here is that there are good reasons for keeping an animal in captivity that have nothing to do with them being a danger to themselves or other animals.

No, it does not.

I wonder what this would look like if it were shortened and didn't mention the typo that you two seem to see as not worth mentioning in the slightest.

There is some overlap, but "Ban On Forced Blood Sports," notably provides reparations for those harmed by forced blood sports in the past, and also "prohibits all forms of blood sports involving animals in which there is a significant possibility of serious injury or death."

Yes. Again, this is not an argument against the target so much as it is an argument that there won't be much lost by temporarily repealing it.

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:Disappointed.

Makes the two of us at this point, I think. I'll talk to 9003 about cutting it down and go from there.

Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada wrote:You sure? I on the other hand am in disbelief that Cretox didn't just write the whole thing, considering the style and types of arguments.

Really? Personal attacks now? Of course it reads like my style- this is 9003's first GA proposal and I'm their co-author.

Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada wrote:TUMS, 4(c) is for non-sapeints, 4(d) is for sapients, so not applicable.

Ah, that is my bad, I was thinking of the reference in the clause before the operatives ("for the safety and protection of all sentient being"). In which case that is an okay argument, although to be honest the writing of it all is confusing. I agree with IA in that 'sapient' and 'non-sapient' should be substituted with 'individual' and 'animal.'

This is the target's own language. I agree it's confusing and weird language; maybe it should be replaced.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:30 pm

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:

The problem is that their physiological inability to consent precludes those who can consent from participating.

So they are physiologically unable to consent, so how are you going to know if they consent? Are you a mind reader?

Honeydewistania wrote:

Did I make a mistake in what I replied to? I wasn't referring to the typo; I was referring to the "formerly captive" part.

It's not completely ignorable then, because 'formerly captive' is still a large amount of people and animals.

Honeydewistania wrote:

Yes, the 'replacement' could. The difference being that selectively bred animals are a different area of legislation, intentionally so. "Give them their freedom lol" isn't.

I disagree that selective breeding, an important section of biotechnology, is irrelevant, but that's besides the point here and I don't want to threadjack.

Honeydewistania wrote:

So bad writing being circumventable if one tries hard enough makes it not bad writing anymore? Noted.

:roll: If this "bad writing" doesn't cause problems and is in fact completely fine, then it isn't. I am not going to say 'if random research scientists want to keep these animals in captivity, they are allowed' because it's superfluous.

Honeydewistania wrote:

GA 23 bans forced labor, you know this. I'm not willing to go so far as IA might be suggesting I do and claim that GA 23 removes any use for legislation in this area.

I also do not see GA#23 banning animals from forced labour. Can you point me to where it does? Thx.

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:Did you read 4(c) of the resolution?: "if an animal blood sport participant cannot be relocated to its natural habitat due to the above, the former participant must either be euthanised humanely, or contained in a secure and safe rehabilitative environment until that participant can be safely released or relocated in accordance with clause 4(b)"

You're missing the point. Again, the problem here is that there are good reasons for keeping an animal in captivity that have nothing to do with them being a danger to themselves or other animals.

:roll: Member nations can release a former blood sport participant, then put it in humane conditions for research which are established by another resolution. Why are you so adamant about this?

Colorado Controlled Territory of Canada wrote:You sure? I on the other hand am in disbelief that Cretox didn't just write the whole thing, considering the style and types of arguments.

Really? Personal attacks now? Of course it reads like my style- this is 9003's first GA proposal and I'm their co-author.

Not an attack, just an observation. And logical deduction.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:

OOC: I faintly remember an earlier draft outlawing sapient only concensual blood sports, but it got voted out cause apparently a lot of nations have "honorable" death duels.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Quirinum
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quirinum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 am

We support this proposal. The target resolution is little more than Abrahamic religious discrimination disguised as facially neutral.
Senatus poplusque romanus.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:34 am

Quirinum wrote:We support this proposal. The target resolution is little more than Abrahamic religious discrimination disguised as facially neutral.

How?

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:33 am

The singular Newarkian ambassador stands up.
"I honestly love it the way it is. Also,sir representative of Honeydewstania,your earlier suggestions are so idiotic,it is hilarious. Usually I'd be close to starting a international incident with the delegate from Tinhampton,but it seems that your suggestions have put you on my radar. My suggestion is simple,sir:Dont try to suggest anything stupid when I'm in these goddam chambers."
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:39 am

Newark Aristocracy wrote:The singular Newarkian ambassador stands up.
"I honestly love it the way it is. Also,sir representative of Honeydewstania,your earlier suggestions are so idiotic,it is hilarious. Usually I'd be close to starting a international incident with the delegate from Tinhampton,but it seems that your suggestions have put you on my radar. My suggestion is simple,sir:Dont try to suggest anything stupid when I'm in these goddam chambers.

"Who are you again?"

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:41 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote:The singular Newarkian ambassador stands up.
"I honestly love it the way it is. Also,sir representative of Honeydewstania,your earlier suggestions are so idiotic,it is hilarious. Usually I'd be close to starting a international incident with the delegate from Tinhampton,but it seems that your suggestions have put you on my radar. My suggestion is simple,sir:Dont try to suggest anything stupid when I'm in these goddam chambers.

"Who are you again?"

"The singular guy who runs the WA delegation of the Newark Aristocracy.
Ever since that incident,the Newarkian delegation has been just me."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 am

Newark Aristocracy wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:"Who are you again?"

"The singular guy who runs the WA delegation of the Newark Aristocracy.

"If the ambassador from Honeydewistania will forgive the unsolicited interruption, while this delegate is a mystery to me, my dossier suggests that the Newarkian delegation is generally comprised of individuals with no sense of decorum, political savvy, or any of the academic or experiential requirements to participate in meaningful policy analysis and debate. As such, they tend to overcompensate with threats that are as laughable as they are ignorable. I respectfully suggest you ignore them for your own peace of mind."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:32 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote:"The singular guy who runs the WA delegation of the Newark Aristocracy.

"If the ambassador from Honeydewistania will forgive the unsolicited interruption, while this delegate is a mystery to me, my dossier suggests that the Newarkian delegation is generally comprised of individuals with no sense of decorum, political savvy, or any of the academic or experiential requirements to participate in meaningful policy analysis and debate. As such, they tend to overcompensate with threats that are as laughable as they are ignorable. I respectfully suggest you ignore them for your own peace of mind."

"You have been forgiven.

I am reminded of the time they attempted to attack my good friend Ambassador Kyriakos from Ancient Greek Empire. That was not very pleasant, which is why I was surprised to see that the Newarkian delegation has been allowed to continue their tirade of threats and insults towards their fellow ambassadors."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly