NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Preventing Suicides Caused by Mental Illnesses

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Preventing Suicides Caused by Mental Illnesses

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:48 pm

Preventing Suicides Caused by Mental Illnesses

A resolution to modify universal standards of healthcare.

Category: Health

Area of Effect: Healthcare

Proposed by: The Unified Missourtama States

The General Assembly,

Clarifies the definition of the word "suicide" as an act to intentionally end one's own life, and "suicidal tendencies" as the will to kill one's self,

Noting that modern medicine recognizes suicidal tendencies as a common symptom of many mental illnesses,

Affirming that preventing suicides will save many valuable and meaningful lives,

Hereby calls to action the World Health Authority to create a subcommittee by the name of the "World Mental Welfare Sciences Institute," to which the World Health Authority shall direct an appropriate and substantial amount of funds toward, the duties of the institute shall be to:
  • Study mental illnesses, and the origins of them from both environmental and personal factors,
  • Compile data from member nations about suicide, self harm, and depression, and study them to find and spread best practices for preventing and treating harmful mental illnesses,
  • Act as a research board to which independent research institutes in member states may apply to for funding and other resources to assist in their research, with the goal to better mental health,
  • Raise awareness of the strengths of societies with good mental health (such as lower rates of overall death, and higher economic productivity), and encourage the funding of national mental health services,

Hereby encourages member nations to:
  • Allocate greater funding towards their mental health services,
  • Submit mental health data to the World Mental Welfare Sciences Institute,

Hereby establishes "World Suicide Prevention Day" to occur every first day of December, as a designated international awareness day to raise the general public's awareness and knowledge of the issue of suicide,

Hereby signifies the will of the World Assembly to have good mental health for all of its citizens.

The General Assembly,

Defines "suicide" as an act to intentionally end one's own life, and "suicidal tendencies" as the will to kill one's self,

Noting that modern medicine recognizes suicidal tendencies as a common symptom of many mental illnesses,

Affirming that preventing suicides will save many valuable and meaningful lives,

Hereby calls to action the World Health Authority to create a subcommittee by the name of the "World Mental Welfare Sciences Institute," to which the World Health Authority shall direct an appropriate and substantial amount of funds toward, the duties of the institute shall be to:
  • Study mental illnesses, and the origins of them from both environmental and personal factors,
  • Compile data from member nations about suicide, self harm, and depression, and study them to find and spread best practices for preventing and treating harmful mental illnesses,
  • Distribute monetary grants to independent research institutes in member states studying mental health,
  • Raise awareness of the strengths of societies with good mental health (such as lower rates of overall death, and higher economic productivity), and encourage the funding of national mental health services,

Hereby establishes "World Suicide Prevention Day," a designated international awareness day to raise the general public's awareness and knowledge of the issue of suicide,

Hereby signifies the will of the World Assembly to have good mental health for all of its citizens.
Last edited by The Unified Missourtama States on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 am

"Ambassador, excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about preventing suicides caused by mental illnesses? We would appreciate some input on your views surrounding a centralized fight against harmful mental illnesses. We've drafted a proposal on the issue, and would love a contribution from your nation, here's a copy that you can markup if you have the time, thank you."
" (W. B. Yeats)

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 am

• Connor Ellis, staff at the Tinhamptonian WA Delegation: Nah, thanks, this is boring.
  • Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: I have a very important question for you. This... gestures at a desk calendar is a month-by-month desk calendar that is used by Tinhamptonians. It is big, it is beautiful, it has a lot on months on it, it has a lot of numbers on it, and I think that one of the months has a picture of Mayor Saffy Howard wearing a sexy little black dress next to the actual calendar thing - not entirely sure about that, mind you. So, anyway, this is the big question - if you'd just like to catch this calendar I'm going to throw down, or maybe just pick it up from this desk, could you please tell me where on that calendar is the next World Suicide Prevention Day proposed to be scheduled for?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 am

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:

The General Assembly,

Defines "suicide" as an act to intentionally end one's own life, and "suicidal tendencies" as the will to kill one's self, Maybe change "Defines" to "Clarifies", as suicide is a very known term.

• Distribute monetary grants to independent research institutes in member states studying mental health, And how exactly?

• Allocate greater funding towards their mental health services, I feel like this contradict Clause 8 of GAR#17, but I may be wrong.

Hereby establishes "World Suicide Prevention Day," a designated international awareness day to raise the general public's awareness and knowledge of the issue of suicide, And why exactly?

Hereby signifies the will of the World Assembly to have good mental health for all of its citizens.Not all nations necessarily care about citizen's mental care and health.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:50 am

Tinhampton wrote: So, anyway, this is the big question - if you'd just like to catch this calendar I'm going to throw down, or maybe just pick it up from this desk, could you please tell me where on that calendar is the next World Suicide Prevention Day proposed to be scheduled for?

I see this as a bit of an IC problem with different calendars, but I think perhaps December 1, symbolic of the end of a year, and hope for new ones to come, I don't know really know we could put any symbolism or IC reference, so I'll say December 1.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Thank you, Untecna for some good recommendations for tone and elaborations. I do need two correct two things you said though:
Untecna wrote:Hereby encourages member nations to:
  • Allocate greater funding towards their mental health services, I feel like this contradict Clause 8 of GAR#17, but I may be wrong.

I specifically made sure that clause did not violate national sovereignty (as outlined in GA#17), It says "encourages" not "requires," all actions listed in the above quote are therefore voluntary.
Hereby signifies the will of the World Assembly to have good mental health for all of its citizens.Not all nations necessarily care about citizen's mental care and health.

Not all nations may, but if the proposal is resolved then it is the official stance of the World Assembly, as is the nature of this ochlocratic democratic institution.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Untecna wrote:[list][*]Allocate greater funding towards their mental health services, I feel like this contradict Clause 8 of GAR#17, but I may be wrong.

Well, then, you're just wrong.

8. Affirms the right of member nations to maintain full authority over domestic taxation policies, barring those that may include unfair discriminatory practices;

Expenditure is not taxation.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Untecna wrote:[list][*]Allocate greater funding towards their mental health services, I feel like this contradict Clause 8 of GAR#17, but I may be wrong.

Well, then, you're just wrong.

8. Affirms the right of member nations to maintain full authority over domestic taxation policies, barring those that may include unfair discriminatory practices;

Expenditure is not taxation.

Thanks for the clarification.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:51 am

*sets up a tray of cookies to attract more ambassadors*

"I said cookies! come and edit my proposal please get your cookies!"
" (W. B. Yeats)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 am

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:*sets up a tray of cookies to attract more ambassadors*

"I said cookies! come and edit my proposal please get your cookies!"

“Ooh, cookies!” Ambassador Lewitt hears the sound of these delectable treats from his office, and swiftly runs down the halls of the General Assembly, dodging wayward ambassadors and occasional defenestration. With a pant, he bursts into the debating chamber, and scoops up a handful of items. “Cookies!” He cries, quickly devouring a handful.

He suddenly stops, looking around the room. “The Kenmorian delegation presents its formal thanks for these cookies, ambassador. As for why I was actually here,” Lewitt grabs a copy of the draft from a table and begins quickly scribbling on it. “I have feedback, presented in red pen.”

The General Assembly,

Clarifies the definition of the word "suicide" as an act to intentionally end one's own life, and "suicidal tendencies" as the will to kill one's self, I would put this as ‘defines’ rather than ‘clarifies’, to make the intent of this clause clearer. Additionally, this clause should go after the ‘hereby’ line, as an active clause.

Hereby calls to action the World Health Authority to create a subcommittee by the name of the "World Mental Welfare Sciences Institute," to which the World Health Authority shall direct an appropriate and substantial amount of funds toward, the duties of the institute shall be to: It should be ‘towards which the World Health Authority shall direct an appropriate and substantial amount of funds’ rather than ‘to which the World Health Authority shall direct an appropriate and substantial amounts of funds toward’. Also, you ought to use ‘the duties of which’ rather than ‘the duties of the institute’.
  • Study mental illnesses, and the origins of them from both environmental and personal factors, Here, ‘thereof’ would sound better than ‘of them’. What is a personal factor? I feel as though some more precise terminology could be useful here.
  • Compile data from member nations about suicide, self harm, and depression, and study them to find and spread best practices for preventing and treating harmful mental illnesses, Spreading best practices ambiguous, I suggest maybe mandating that the committee does ‘publicise best practices’ instead.
  • Act as a research board to which independent research institutes in member states may apply to for funding and other resources to assist in their research, with the goal to better mental health,

Hereby encourages member nations to: Having ‘hereby’ before every line is slightly awkward. I suggest putting a line including or consisting solely of ‘hereby’ by itself as a separate clause, and then removing ‘hereby’ from every subsequent clause.

Hereby establishes "World Suicide Prevention Day" to occur every first day of December, as a designated international awareness day to raise the general public's awareness and knowledge of the issue of suicide, Not all nations use the Gregorian or Julian calendar, so mandating that this occurs on December might not make sense for them. I have no idea how to mandate a global day for every single nation, many of which use entirely different calendar systems with different numbers of days per year, so perhaps leaving the date unspecified in the draft could be better.

Hereby signifies the will of the World Assembly to have good mental health for all of its citizens. This would perhaps be better as a preambulatory clause.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am

"Exactly what would be the actual function that "prevents suicides" here? Just throwing more money at research and awareness does nothing."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:15 pm

“Now maybe I’m missing something here, but isn’t the active clause a bit nested? Having hereby calls to action is great, but it doesn’t do anything. I’d suggest potentially finding a way to make that clause have a little more ‘oomph’ legally.”
Then save me, or the passed day will shine…

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Boston Castle wrote:“Now maybe I’m missing something here, but isn’t the active clause a bit nested? Having hereby calls to action is great, but it doesn’t do anything. I’d suggest potentially finding a way to make that clause have a little more ‘oomph’ legally.”

“Since that clause is addressing a committee, which is so much more compliant than a member nation, calling to action is fine. If it were a member state, then it could just ignore the calling and continue as it previously was, but a committee listens to the GA. It’s perhaps a little wordy, but ther’s nothing wrong with it.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:12 pm

"Given that the Imperial calendar does not include 'decemeber' at all, we must ask where exactly we would be expected to place this 'awareness day'."
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly