NATION

PASSWORD

Germany's ex-royals want their riches back

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Loben III wrote:
Kubra wrote:ok fellas calm your jets, this is a bit of a dangerous digression from the topic.

and i truly believe that the Hohenzollerns should get their property back from the thieves who stole it from them under dubious pretenses.
And I ain't keen on it going back to em, insofar as even if I don't think of property very highly in the first place I think of property begotten as hereditary rulers of states is an even less pleasant form.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Loben III
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Kubra wrote:
Loben III wrote:
and i truly believe that the Hohenzollerns should get their property back from the thieves who stole it from them under dubious pretenses.
And I ain't keen on it going back to em, insofar as even if I don't think of property very highly in the first place I think of property begotten as hereditary rulers of states is an even less pleasant form.

while thats well and good for you, what about actual tangible facts.

the Hohenzollerns had possessions confiscated by the USSR and their lackeys, which was then put into the GDRs rather unfortunate Custody. now some 30 years after the GDRs dissolvement, the head of the family wants some of the possessions back the modern German govt is being as stubborn as it can legally be due to a rather dubious claim that the Crown prince has given "substantial" Support to the Nazi Regime.
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:31 pm

I think the ex royals can have their property back, if they pay all maintenance costs the state has done on the property from 1918.

Seems fair to me.

Zentralafrika Union
Civilian

Founded: Dec 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zentralafrika Union » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:32 pm

I personally belief that, since royalties attain their property during their tenure as state officials and even sometime as the state itself (especially things like castles, which clearly done to serve state interest) their properties should belong to the state after they abdicated. I mean, presidents don't own the roads they give funding during their tenure, why do kings get castles they give funding to?

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Loben III wrote:
Kubra wrote: And I ain't keen on it going back to em, insofar as even if I don't think of property very highly in the first place I think of property begotten as hereditary rulers of states is an even less pleasant form.

the Hohenzollerns had possessions confiscated by the USSR and their lackeys, which was then put into the GDRs rather unfortunate Custody. now some 30 years after the GDRs dissolvement, the head of the family wants some of the possessions back the modern German govt is being as stubborn as it can legally be due to a rather dubious claim that the Crown prince has given "substantial" Support to the Nazi Regime.
As has been said, it weren't illegal for the GDR to seize what it did, nor does it give the german state any legal impetus to return it. That don't make it right, but by the same token the legality of the means by which they came across their property ain't a matter of right, either. Which is why, of course, this whole thing is just folks making value judgements, the german administration included.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Loben III
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Kubra wrote:
Loben III wrote:

As has been said, it weren't illegal for the GDR to seize what it did, nor does it give the german state any legal impetus to return it. That don't make it right, but by the same token the legality of the means by which they came across their property ain't a matter of right, either. Which is why, of course, this whole thing is just folks making value judgements, the german administration included.

yes and we all know the German administration always makes the right call.......
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Loben III wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:The problem with this applied to politics though is that, without an intimate knowledge of a political figure, it's difficult to ascertain what is selfish, malicious, or just incompetence or neglect. And then you have to take into account social conditioning and how that can affect people's character.

would you say that the Tsar was merely incompetent?

Not necessarily, but I would say he was largely controlled by his advisors.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Loben III wrote:
Kubra wrote: As has been said, it weren't illegal for the GDR to seize what it did, nor does it give the german state any legal impetus to return it. That don't make it right, but by the same token the legality of the means by which they came across their property ain't a matter of right, either. Which is why, of course, this whole thing is just folks making value judgements, the german administration included.

yes and we all know the German administration always makes the right call.......
I'd say it doesn't because it doesn't abolish property in general, ya'll say it doesn't because it won't restore the monarchy. Tomato, tomato.
As I said, the least important person in the Dreyfus affair was Alfred Dreyfus.
Comrade J. Posadas

Loben III
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Loben III wrote:

interesting.
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Most monarchies are controlled by some sort of constitutional agreement between the monarchy and the state. Monarchy is after all a state function. To say you want the property without the state responsibilities is a free lunch. Monarchies usually represent something. This time, the monarchs should be some kind of symbol, usually moral of the state. This lessens the requirement of the state to focus on morality, and creates a figurehead for the public for "exemplary" behavior. This allows greater real politic in the government and less moralizing because the monarchs have become the symbols of right living.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Loben III wrote:

Like Louis XVI, Nicholas II always struck me as someone who wasn't incompetent per se but just someone who wasn't up for the challenges they happened to live through. Quiet, decent-hearted people who grew up enormously sheltered and not particularly well prepared for ruling which manifested in different ways - Louis through deference to courtiers and ministers, Nicholas through micromanagement and myopia. It's one of the pitfalls of absolute monarchism that it's these moments of inattention and inertia, rather than the truly horrible monarchs, that produces the worst results in many cases.
Last edited by Nilokeras on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Not necessarily, but I would say he was largely controlled by his advisors.

Like Louis XVI, Nicholas II always struck me as someone who wasn't incompetent per se but just someone who wasn't up for the challenges they happened to live through. Quiet, decent-hearted people who grew up enormously sheltered and not particularly well prepared for ruling which manifested in different ways - Louis through deference to courtiers and ministers, Nicholas through micromanagement and myopia. It's one of the pitfalls of absolute monarchism that it's these moments of inattention and inertia, rather than the truly horrible monarchs, that produces the worst results in many cases.

Certainly Nicholas' upbringing greatly contributed to his downfall, the assassination of his reformer grandfather when he was a child, and his mentor's efforts to impress upon him that this assassination was caused by attempts to reform the administration, led Nicholas to oppose many reforms that could have transformed administration into something that would better suit him and the Russian people. Nicholas was a bad ruler, but I think a lot of people mistakenly assume that he was malicious, which wasn't really the case.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General