NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Rights of the employed"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am

Honeydewistania wrote:"How is the governments burdening adoption thing a bigger problem here than in GA#527?"

527 comes with a qualifier that the child require such care.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:--Countercampaign--

Of course. Why should I have expected anything else?
Last edited by Cretox State on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:"How is the governments burdening adoption thing a bigger problem here than in GA#527?"

527 comes with a qualifier that the child require such care.

And what's to stop business minded governments from burdening the adoption of kids that require care, arguably a bigger problem than burdening adopting older children?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 pm

This is now at vote. The following counter-counter-campaign was sent by Cretox through tag:template shortly before this got to vote:
Esteemed Delegate of %NATION%,

We apologize for what may be a number of telegrams you're receiving regarding this proposal, and humbly request again that you approve "Repeal 'Rights of the employed'", a proposal our Delegation submitted to the General Assembly, and which needs only 2 more approvals in the next 13 hours in order to make it to vote.

This repeal is necessary due to flaws present in the target resolution, which include requiring that workers prove to employers the necessity of them breastfeeding in the workplace, mandating that qualifying workers receive a private area in the workplace reserved for the sole area of breastfeeding (automatically excluding multipurpose rooms and similar), and providing at least 8 weeks of leave to any worker who adopts a child, even if said child is older and doesn't require special care.

At the same time, numerous extant resolutions cover similar (and broader) ground as the resolution in question, including GA 503 "Protecting Legal Rights of Workers", GA 527 "Protected Working Leave", GA 35 "The Charter of Civil Rights", GA 91 "A Convention on Gender", and GA 457 "Defending the Rights of Sexual and Gender Minorities".

We apologize for taking up your time, and would be more than happy to address any questions or concerns you may have. We hope you'll consider approving this proposal: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=cretox_state_1607233126

Yours sincerely,

~~Cretox State

Cretox State wrote:

I know, right? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 am

“I will be voting in favour of this repeal, as I believe that the resolution in question had a few flaws which, unfortunately, imposed burdens upon businesses which were not necessary for the advancement of labour rights.”

(OOC: I feel sorry for all those delegates, their poor inboxes.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:02 am

OOC: Finally, this will be repealed.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020

I Have Several objections

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:59 am

Not supporting this; workers deserve their rights!
#EmployersVsEmployees
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:39 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Not supporting this; workers deserve their rights!
#EmployersVsEmployees

(OOC: There is a replacement which has been passed, which should also serve to protect workers’ rights.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:05 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Not supporting this; workers deserve their rights!
#EmployersVsEmployees

(OOC: There is a replacement which has been passed, which should also serve to protect workers’ rights.)

OOC: Out of curiosity, how did they manage to pass the replacement before the repeal without running into contradiction/duplication?
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Center Land
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Center Land » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:30 am

Does the WA ever do anything besides repeal previously passed legislation?

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Center Land wrote:Does the WA ever do anything besides repeal previously passed legislation?

OOC: yes it creates new legislation to repeal later.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Melon feud
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Melon feud » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:24 pm

*headless brood of feathered chickens,,, the collective simmering rendering pot is nigh& awaith Ye blind plucked cluckers of percievd self importance,,,er,,, oh yes! Tis truth :shock:

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: Finally, this will be repealed.

And thus we've come full circle.

Ardiveds wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: There is a replacement which has been passed, which should also serve to protect workers’ rights.)

OOC: Out of curiosity, how did they manage to pass the replacement before the repeal without running into contradiction/duplication?

Minor duplication is permitted. In this case, PWL was sufficiently different/broader.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:36 am

Cretox State wrote:The intended meaning of that clause is that the resolution mandates providing an area for the sole purpose of breastfeeding, not that it mandates providing such an area in all businesses. This is a "costly and unrealistic burden on small businesses" according to the repeal. If a workplace has few employees, this mandate excludes multipurpose rooms and similar accommodations. If the workplace has no breastfeeding employees, then this disincentives hiring of breastfeeding employees due to the mandate being so sloppily worded.

I am not sure how this can be a "costly and unrealistic burden on small businesses." The fewer employees the less likelihood that such an area is needed. it doesn't even have to be a room, as long as it is able to be made 'private." I can see how in some circumstances it could rise to the level of "annoying" but nothing from being "burdensome." It's not a good argument, in and of itself, for a repeal.

More importantly, that train left the station months ago, when this resolution was passed and those small businesses had to create those spaces. New businesses can easily design around the rule. In short it might be a good reason for not voting for the resolution, but once implemented it almost becomes "moot."
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

UNOE
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby UNOE » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:38 pm

If we are to repeal this legislation, we need to have a replacement for this legislation. Until then, we need to vote no on this proposal, until we having to supplement this legislation. Then once we have repealed this legislation, what is the incentive to create a better and more in depth legislation like this. The civil rights of the world are in stake. This needs to be rejected. I urge you to vote no, or change your vote to no, in order to protect civil rights and humanity.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:05 am

UNOE wrote:If we are to repeal this legislation, we need to have a replacement for this legislation. Until then, we need to vote no on this proposal, until we having to supplement this legislation. Then once we have repealed this legislation, what is the incentive to create a better and more in depth legislation like this. The civil rights of the world are in stake. This needs to be rejected. I urge you to vote no, or change your vote to no, in order to protect civil rights and humanity.

(OOC: Here is the replacement.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:07 am

Kenmoria wrote:
UNOE wrote:If we are to repeal this legislation, we need to have a replacement for this legislation. Until then, we need to vote no on this proposal, until we having to supplement this legislation. Then once we have repealed this legislation, what is the incentive to create a better and more in depth legislation like this. The civil rights of the world are in stake. This needs to be rejected. I urge you to vote no, or change your vote to no, in order to protect civil rights and humanity.

(OOC: Here is the replacement.)

That replacement doesn't cover breastfeeding, so it's not a full replacement.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:08 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Here is the replacement.)

That replacement doesn't cover breastfeeding, so it's not a full replacement.

(OOC: That is true; I think someone mentioned writing a possible replacement on breastfeeding specifically, but one doesn’t currently exist at this point.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Paclandi
Civilian

Founded: Dec 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Paclandi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:43 am

I am unable to support the repeal as written. Without an acceptable replacement, this will place a burden on new families.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: There is a replacement which has been passed, which should also serve to protect workers’ rights.)

(OOC Well Let's see ...
D1 ... Yes this is covered
D2 ... Not covered (Under 503 or 527)
D3 ... Again, not really covered ... "or otherwise in the course of their employment"
D4 ... Ironically this is NOT COVERED. 503 looks like it covers it, but the key word is "participating " and 503 only protects the person making the complaint not cooperating witnesses
E1-3 ... Yes
E4 ... No
)
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Repeal "Rights of the employed" was passed 11,901 votes to 2,963.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives