NATION

PASSWORD

Netanyahu Nominated for the Nobel Peace Price...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Netanyahu Nominated for the Nobel Peace Price...

Postby Shofercia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:18 pm

...and he didn't even ethnically cleanse anyone yet!

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... obel-peace

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Tuesday that he and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for their work to normalize relations between Israel and the United Arab Emirates. The prime minister’s office said the leaders were nominated by David Trimble, the former First Minister of Northern Ireland who won in 1998 for his work on the Northern Ireland peace process, Bloomberg reported.

“Pursuant to the rules of the Nobel Prize Committee, since Lord Trimble is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, his decision to submit Prime Minister Netanyahu’s candidacy will lead the committee to discuss the issue,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement Tuesday.

Previous winners included Abiy Ahmed, Juan Manual Santos Calderon, Barack Obama, Marti Ahtisaari, so Netanyahu should fit right in! What does NSG think?

I think that they should, at the very least, rename the Nobel Peace Prize to the Nobel War Price, for maximum trolling. I'm not against Netanyahu, as he's been quite effective at asserting Israel's dominance in the Middle East, moreso than I expected, but to claim that he did so peacefully... is bullshit.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:21 pm

I mean, Hitler was nominated too so we do have some history of horrible people getting nominated.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Normalization of diplomatic relations is not worthy of celebration when the stakeholders with the most to lose, the Palestinian people, were excluded as if they didn't exist.

This is even worse than Obama getting one, at least they gave Obama his before he started killing people.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Yeah lol no.

Abiy Ahmed Ali was also a bad candidate. They really, really should stop throwing the Prize to such poor candidates or else nobody takes it serious anymore. It's reputation is all what it really has and they are destroying it.

North American Imperial State
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm

April fools day is a wee bit early

....or is it late :blink:
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman must be in with a chance.
Everything is intertwinkled

North American Imperial State
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman must be in with a chance.

I will place a bet 2/1 for him to win it
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:53 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman must be in with a chance.

I will place a bet 2/1 for him to win it

He has the deeper pockets for sure.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Nakena wrote:
North American Imperial State wrote:I will place a bet 2/1 for him to win it

He has the deeper pockets for sure.

Bone saws don't fit in the normal sized ones.
Everything is intertwinkled

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Netanyahu and Likud have been spending decades standing against Islamists who want all Jews dead, good for him
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:Netanyahu and Likud have been spending decades standing against Islamists who want all Jews dead, good for him

And a bunch of Palestinian kids and babies too young to know what Islamist and Jew even means.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Nakena wrote:Yeah lol no.

Abiy Ahmed Ali was also a bad candidate. They really, really should stop throwing the Prize to such poor candidates or else nobody takes it serious anymore. It's reputation is all what it really has and they are destroying it.

I think its reputation is already gone. Would anyone think any less of Malala if she didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize?

Kexholm Karelia wrote:Netanyahu and Likud have been spending decades standing against Islamists who want all Jews dead, good for him

This is supposed to be the Peace Prize, not the "I destroyed my enemies" Prize. Netanyahu is doing a decent, and some would argue good job for Israel, but he isn't doing so in a peaceful manner.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Tom Lehrer said satire died the day Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize. Someone just exhumed satire and bumfucked its corpse.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Nakena wrote:Yeah lol no.

I think its reputation is already gone. Would anyone think any less of Malala if she didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize?

This is supposed to be the Peace Prize, not the "I destroyed my enemies" Prize. Netanyahu is doing a decent, and some would argue good job for Israel, but he isn't doing so in a peaceful manner.

Didn’t they give the nobel prize to the ethiopian dude who’s now about to commit genocide?
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Page wrote:Normalization of diplomatic relations is not worthy of celebration when the stakeholders with the most to lose, the Palestinian people, were excluded as if they didn't exist.

This is even worse than Obama getting one, at least they gave Obama his before he started killing people.

Pretty sure the US federal government kills people everyday.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:58 pm

The Peace Prize is a joke. Not shocking at all that a monster like Netanyahu was nominated for it.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Adamede wrote:
Page wrote:Normalization of diplomatic relations is not worthy of celebration when the stakeholders with the most to lose, the Palestinian people, were excluded as if they didn't exist.

Pretty sure the US federal government kills people everyday.

Are you? Based on what? I would love to learn.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Adamede wrote:Pretty sure the US federal government kills people everyday.

Are you? Based on what? I would love to learn.

Just on the fact that the executive branch operates numerous, sub-organizations I guess, who’s sole function is to enforce the will of the American federal government by force, both in America and across the world, 24/7.

Just a hunch that it involves at least one person getting killed at least everyday or two.
Last edited by Adamede on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cabacia
Civilian

Founded: Nov 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabacia » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Barack Obama won the Nobel Price while he's bombing the Middle East ( I guess 'War is Peace' since then ), so the Nobel Price shouldn't mean a lot by now.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace ... ama/facts/
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ba ... fghanistan
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/ ... es-1224550

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:04 pm

I read the OP but the thread title still confuses me. The net price of peace is an Yahu?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 pm

The "Peace" Prize nowadays is worthless. You could fish an old bowling tournament trophy from the 80's out of a dumpster, and it would still be a more prestigious and meaningful award than the Nobel Peace Prize. This is just another nail among dozens in its coffin.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 pm

A nomination obviously doesn't mean they won the award. The Nobel Committee probably gets a lot of such obviously discarded requests every year.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Ideally the Committee should discontinue the Peace Prize. It's bringing the science prizes into disrepute.

Unfortunately that's probably not possible by their charter. Perhaps they could give it only to obscure people, more or less at random. Say you tried to rescue a neighbour's cat from a tree, got scratched on the nose, fell out of the tree and broke your leg ... but still didn't call the cat bad names? You go in the draw for the No Bull Peace Prize.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Ideally the Committee should discontinue the Peace Prize. It's bringing the science prizes into disrepute.

I, uh, doubt it.

The Nobel Prizes for the other categories are indisputably a great honor and I don't think that's under contention, save for the laureates who don't want the attention.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Maybe Bibi can get an Ig Nobel. Unfortunately this year's Peace Prize went to India and Pakistan for having their diplomats ring each other's doorbells in the middle of the night and then run away. Oh and sorry, Trump already won one.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General