NATION

PASSWORD

Writing a new gem trading bill

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The New Luxembourgers
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Writing a new gem trading bill

Postby The New Luxembourgers » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:39 am

Hello! I've recently gotten into a discussion on the forum about potentially repealing the conflict minerals bill and have decided not to. (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=494893)

Now I've decided that I want to write a better bill than the repealed Gem Trading Accord (viewtopic.php?p=3537764#p3537764) to better regulate the gem trade.

Here are a few ideas I have.

(i) Expanding the role of the metallurgical laboratory created in Against Conflict Minerals

(ii) Creating an internationally sanctioned arbitration mechanism to mediate disputes and enforce trading contracts, something difficult in the gem world.

(iii) Creating some sort of anti-theft force of some sort.

(iv) Regulating prospecting in some ways or another.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:45 am

(OOC: Generally, the style of drafting pursued in the GA involves starting off by posting a draft, which is then improved over time, rather than starting off with a concept and finishing with a draft. Taking a look at the passed resolutions, you should be able to find the common GA format. Remember also to write the proposal so that it fits a category, which can be found here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

South St Maarten
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 16, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby South St Maarten » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 am

The New Luxembourgers wrote:Hello! I've recently gotten into a discussion on the forum about potentially repealing the conflict minerals bill and have decided not to. (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=494893)

Now I've decided that I want to write a better bill than the repealed Gem Trading Accord (viewtopic.php?p=3537764#p3537764) to better regulate the gem trade.

Here are a few ideas I have.

(i) Expanding the role of the metallurgical laboratory created in Against Conflict Minerals

(ii) Creating an internationally sanctioned arbitration mechanism to mediate disputes and enforce trading contracts, something difficult in the gem world.

(iii) Creating some sort of anti-theft force of some sort.

(iv) Regulating prospecting in some ways or another.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Not right now, however I'd just make sure to fix the issues of the first resolution, specifically:

Concerned that GAR #113 deceived member nations into believing that regulating economic activity and trade would somehow increase the freedoms of their people; and that, in fact, prohibiting people from freely buying and selling gems has restricted economic liberties and freedoms;

and

Concerned that some member nations lack the advanced infrastructure needed to support a local IGA-accredited gem testing laboratory, thus requiring those nations to incur great expenses to send gems abroad for testing (or to outlaw gem trade altogether);

Concluding that the laboratory testing and accredation requirements stymie free trade by making it more difficult for people in developing countries to enter the gem trade, and by making it easier for people in established nations to create monopolies;

Contrary to the author of the repeal, I would support a new Gem Regulation Act / Trading Accord if it were written well. Also, you should make a draft as Kenmoria mentioned and bring it back to the forums afterwards.
Last edited by South St Maarten on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former First & Second Deputy Commissioner Of Europe
European Undersecretary For Culture
European Ambassador To The Western Isles
Member Of The European Home & Foreign Offices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of character unless noted otherwise. Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns, feel free to telegram me! :D

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am

iii) Creating some sort of anti-theft force of some sort.

OOC: The WA cannot form any manner of police or military. To include that in a proposal is to render it illegal.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Return to General Assembly