NATION

PASSWORD

An Imperial Wedding

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Tehua
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

An Imperial Wedding

Postby Tehua » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm

OOC: This is an open, peaceful, diplomatic character-based roleplay. It is generally oriented towards MT, Human nations. Others may attend but please refrain from conspicuous displays of supernatural powers or advanced, futuristic technology. While I will wait a week for anyone who wants to send an RSVP or roleplay a response to being invited, nations are free to enter at any time. If you do enter after the wedding has begun, please post with the assumption that your people arrived on time and have been in attendance rather than roleplaying a late arrival.

A formal announcement and invitation was sent to the leaders of the world on 11 October. “Your Majesty, Your Excellency, Your Holiness, or Mr. or Mme. President,” it began, “Her Imperial Majesty, Alejandra, by the Grace of God, Empress of Tehua, invites you to attend her marriage to His Excellency, Michael Halliche, Viscount Gafsa at noon on 18 November 2020 at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Michael the Archangel in San Miguel, Tehua.”
Last edited by Tehua on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Tehua wrote:OOC: This is an open, peaceful, diplomatic character-based roleplay. It is generally oriented towards MT, Human nations. Others may attend but please refrain from conspicuous displays of supernatural powers or advanced, futuristic technology. While I will wait a week for anyone who wants to send an RSVP or roleplay a response to being invited, nations are free to enter at any time. If you do enter after the wedding has begun, please post with the assumption that your people arrived on time and have been in attendance rather than roleplaying a late arrival.

A formal announcement and invitation was sent to the leaders of the world on 11 October. “Your Majesty, Your Excellency, Your Holiness, or Mr. or Mme. President,” it began, “Her Imperial Majesty, Carlota, by the Grace of God, Empress of Tehua, invites you to attend her marriage to His Excellency, Michael Halliche, Viscount Gafsa at noon on 18 November 2020 at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Michael the Archangel in San Miguel, Tehua.”

Uh, sure I'll come

Silvedania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvedania » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:39 pm

A letter arrives. It says:
I'll come. Though this letter is gonna take 3 weeks to arrive, I should probably write an email. Whatever.
Sincerely,
Oisin Pryor
Silvedania, the majestic nation.
NS Stats are mostly accurate except for a few things, like this nation is capitalist and the death penalty isn't in effect

News:All trade with Crabaiaia and Pikala has stopped as diplomats meet in Trenaka.  Silvedanians are confused by Quentin Tarantulatino's new film, Seasonal Snackbox(This is a Bojack Horseman reference.) Weird song goes viral for making no sense.

Co-founder of LITA | Member of ICDN | Former Member of SETA | Member of IFTC | He/Him/His | Airport: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493569#p37851012
Being president looks like the worst job in the world. -John Mulaney

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Royal Palace
Cyretia, Cyretopolitania

King Aksel IX looked up over the top of his reading glasses. “Excuse me, Pamin,” he said as looked at his private secretary.

“The invitation to Viscount Michael’s wedding, Sire. It requires a formal reply.” The secretary shifted his weight as he continued to hold the ornate invitation.

The king laughed. “My nephew’s wedding? Of course we’ll be attending!”

“I know, Sire,” the secretary gave a nervous smile. “But I do need your leave to draft a reply…”

The king waived his arm. “Yes, yes, of course. Prepare one with all the usual flowery language. I’ll sign it personally.”

“Very good, Sire. Will the entire family attend?”

“Naturally.”

The secretary bowed. “By your leave, Majesty.”

The king smiled and waved his hand before returning to his crossword puzzle.

Cyretia, Cyretopolitania

Your Imperial Majesty,

We have received the invitation to Your Imperial Majesty’s wedding to our nephew, the Viscount of Gafsa, with great gladness. We shall attend along with our Royal Consort, Her Pharaonic and Royal Majesty, Queen of Cyretopolitania, Samia; His Pharaonic and Royal Highness, Crown Prince of Cyretopolitania, John; the Crown Prince’s Consort, Her Royal Highness, Princess Irene; His Royal Highness, Prince of Cyretopolitania, Agizul; the Prince’s Consort, Her Royal Highness, Princess Yulia; and Her Royal Highness, Princess of Cyretopolitania, Ilizibith.

We assure you of our highest regards and our fondest wishes for your continued happiness.

Given by our hand, this 4th day of Babah 1737, and the 14th day of October in the 2020th Year of Our Lord and the 12th Year of Our Reign,

Aksel, Erro

Her Imperial Majesty
Carlota
Empress of Tehua
Last edited by Cyretopolitania on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Orandia
Civilian

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Orandia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Aidnaro, Orandia

Letters were piling up in Queenie Astier's office. Deciding it was finally time to look them over, the head of government spotted an odd-looking letter among the bunch. What's this? she thought to herself, using a small letter opener to carefully break its seal.

An invitation to a wedding...

She sat at her desk and promptly penned a response:

To Your Imperial Majesty,

We have received your wedding invitation. Her Highness Queen Aurélie Enfeld, His Highness King Félix Enfeld, His Highness Crown Prince Alexander Enfeld, and Alexander's bride-to-be Ophelia Kihime, as well as Prime Minister Queenie Astier, will all be in attendance.
We send our warmest regards to you and your upcoming union.

Signed,
Queenie Amber Astier
Last edited by Orandia on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jrawa
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 02, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jrawa » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:50 am

House of Trabelsi
Grand Duke of Semien

Your Imperial Majesty,

Thank you for your kind invitation to your upcoming wedding. May I take this opportunity to wish you and your fiance all the best.

The House of Trabelsi and the rightful King of Semien and Jrawa will be represented by my son, Prince Samuel, his wife, Princess Sophie, and their adult children, Prince Jacob and Princess Alexandra.

Again, please accept my congratulations and best wishes for a happy marriage and long reign.

Warmest regards,

Daniel

Grand Duke of Semien
Rightful King of Semien and Jrawa
Last edited by Jrawa on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zamimbia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Zamimbia » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 am

San Miguel, Tehua

Charity Amupanda stepped out of the hotel lobby and surveyed her surroundings. She was tall, with an athletic build and a dark brown complexion. Dressed in an elegantly casual linen pants suit with an oversized hat and rose-tinted glasses, she looked every bit the successful and wealthy tourist. And, indeed, she was in San Miguel, in part, to explore a country she had never before visited. However, in a few days she would be there as the Federal Republic of Zamimbia’s official representative to the royal wedding between Empress Carlota and Viscount Michael.

It still was not entirely clear to Charity how Zamimbia came to get an official invitation - the two countries had no formal diplomatic relations - or why exactly she had been asked to attend. She suspected, of course, that it had something to do with her now-retired father’s former position as chief of the Zamimbian military, and her ability to pay for her own travel and accommodations and do so with enough panache to show her country in a good light.

No matter the whys or wherefores, Charity was happy for the opportunity to visit a new country and play the tourist before attending her formal duties. With a slight smile, she picked a direction and set off to explore.

Tehua
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017

Postby Tehua » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:11 am

The night before the wedding, the Tehuans hosted a gala dinner for their guests in the Palacio María Cristina with the imperial family presiding. The Empress’s surviving paternal aunt and uncle, Archduke Felipe and Archduchess Leonor, presided at one table. Her maternal aunt and uncle, the Duke and Duchess of Amadis, presided at another. Alejandra sat at the head table with her mother, the groom, and the groom’s closest family, along with prominent chiefs of state in attendance. “How are you enjoying Tehua, Your Majesty?” she asked King Aksel.

“We are enjoying it very much, Your Imperial Majesty,” Aksel IX, King of Cyretopolitania, said after a sip of wine. “We appreciate your hospitality, and are pleased to be here to witness the marriage of our favorite nephew.”

“Your only nephew, Sire,” Meddur Halliche, the father of the groom and Duke of Gafsa, said with a chuckle.

“Quite right, Medde,” the king agreed with a broad smile. “But my favorite nonetheless.”

“You like him because he boxed that fresh Braslander’s ears, Aksel.” An older woman, slightly bent with age said with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

“Mother!” Princess Maryem’s face flushed a deep copper color. “Please.” She looked plaintively from her mother to her husband and then to her brother, the king.

“Oh, pish,” the Dowager Queen said with a flick of her wrist. “We’re all family… or about to be family here.”

At the far end of the table Princess Ilizibith, the king’s youngest child and only daughter looked to be either on the verge of tears or a tantrum. Meanwhile, the Crown Prince and Princess studiously examined their plates. The groom’s sisters, Marta and Hannah, tried to cover their giggle, and Prince Agizul and his wife, Princess Yuilia, traded knowing looks. For his part, the groom, Viscount Michael, tried to catch Alejandra’s eye with an apologetic look.

“We hope that you will be able to visit our country after the wedding, Your Imperial Majesty,” Queen Samia said with a practiced smile.

Alejandra caught Michael’s eye and smiled softly and reassuringly before she answered Queen Samia. “I’d like that, Your Majesty,” she answered. “I’d like to know more about my husband’s home firsthand.”

“It’s nice to be talking with the family,” Archduchess Demetra, the empress’s mother said. “It’s so refreshingly normal!”

“She hated that the protocol officers wouldn’t let her write the invitations,” Alejandra said with a smile to her mother. “Apparently, when one is sovereign, everything must be in one’s own name.”

“There’s still some things a mother should do for her daughter,” Demetra said stubbornly.

“Yes, absolutely,” Safiya, the Dowager Queen agreed. “Stand your ground, my dear! I’ve had to threaten more than one palace bureaucrat who thought I ceased to be a mother when my son became king.”

“I have an ally,” Demetra said, beaming at Safiya and then looking back to her daughter.

“I see that,” the Empress noted and then she took her mother’s hand. “I will always keep you close to me. I rely on your advice.”

Safiya smiled. “Yes,” she said nodding to Demetra. “Yes, you do, my dear.”

“It is not a situation I expected to be in, even marrying into the imperial family,” Demetra confessed. “I did marry a fourth son.” She initially says it lightly, a simple account of how unpredictable the world is, but her smile quickly faded as she recalled how much death the last generation of the imperial family had experienced.

“It is quite alright, mother,” Alejandra said gamely.

Safiya nodded sympathetically.

Michael leaned toward Alejandra. “We should certainly plan a visit to Cyretia. It is not as lush and green as Tehua, but the coast is lovely and the desert has a stark beauty of its own.”

“Yes,” Princess Maryem said, nodding. “I think you would love our estate on the coast…”

“And we would be delighted to host you at the palace,” Queen Samia added.

“That would be lovely,” Alejandra said. “I think I’d especially like to see the desert at night. It looks so beautiful in all the pictures I’ve seen. Do you go out there often, Michael?”

Michael smiled. “Oh, yes, Quite often. There is nothing like sleeping under the stars in the desert.” He gave a slight shrug. “But it can be a dangerous beauty; one must know how to traverse the desert. When to stop. When to go. Where to seek shelter. How to find food and water.” Then, he laughed. “Of course, I find that a sturdy vehicle and a GPS are quite helpful.”

He leaned towards Alejandra. “We should definitely go on an excursion into the desert when we visit.”

“I’d like that,” Alejandra said, grinning now. “Just you, me, and the stars. You could show me all the local flora and fauna. Though, perhaps, we might be forgiven for bringing our own shelter, food, and water? A small mercy for a first time visitor?”

“Of course,” Michael said with a broad grin. “It is an ancient custom to travel with… certain luxuries. Tents, carpets, spices… drinks.”

Further down the table, Princess Izlibith reddened and looked away with narrowed eyes.

“What sort of drinks are customary?” Alejandra asked with interest. Her mother sniffed slightly, giving her the side eye.

“Tea is the most common drink,” Michael said, “mostly mint and apricot teas. Of course, we also have a variety of beers, many using the ancient recipes,” he smiled broadly, “and, of course, our red wines are well-known. The coastal mountains provide quite a good climate for some delightful reds and rosés. Our vin gris is really something special.”

“We’ll have to…” Alejandra began.

“The tea sounds lovely,” her mother cut her off. Alejandra gave Michael a look suggesting the topic might be revisited in private. Of course, the next time she spoke to him in private he would be her husband and she might have other things on her mind. She smiled gently.

Michael returned her look with a mischievous smile. “We’ll sample all that Cyretia has to offer when we visit,” he said in a soft, low voice.
Last edited by Tehua on Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Resurgent Dream
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Resurgent Dream » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:09 pm

The Caldan royal family arrived at the dinner. Queen Gwendolyn was accompanied by her husband Prince Peter and her cousins, the Duke and Duchess of Huntingdon and their son Prince Andrew. The queen’s own children would be at the wedding but were not attending the dinner. They were still a little young for it. Gwendolyn’s hand rested lightly on her husband’s arm but she seemed to shift a little closer as she surveyed the tables. “I still remember our wedding like it was yesterday,” she said softly as she led her family to take their seats with Archduke Felipe and his wife.

Providencia y San Andres
Attaché

Founded: Jun 10, 2018

Postby Providencia y San Andres » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:43 pm

(OOC: A joint post with Cyretopolitania)

Princess Ilizibith quietly excused herself between courses and stepped outside. She took a deep breath and looked up at the stars.

A few moments later, the Infanta Letizia of Providencia walked out onto the same patio. “Your Highness,” Letizia said as she walked towards Ilizibith.

“Please,” Ilizibith said turning to other young princess, “call me Ilizibith or we’ll be throwing titles at each other all night.”

Letizia smiled. “And, please, call me Letty.”

Ilizibith nodded. “Letty.” She looked back to the stars. “It is nice to see you again. The last time was, when? Tariq’s party in Landing?”

Letizia stood next to the Cyretian princess. “Yes. Tariq’s party.” She sighed. “I was hoping that Tariq would be here; I should like to meet him again.”

Ilizibith shrugged. “I was hoping Peter would be here. But I don’t see any of the Braslanders.”

“No,” Letizia shrugged. She put a hand gently on Ilizibith’s bare shoulder. “I am sorry, Ilizibith. I heard about how Peter treated you. It is a shame.”

The deeply tanned Cyretian princess turned and gave a lopsided smile. “Look at us, pining for men. Not even men. Boys. And not even… nice boys. Charming, yes. But, not nice.”

Letizia laughed. “No one ever accused me of being nice, either, Ilizibith.”

She touched the hand on her shoulder. “Well, I think you’re very kind, Letty.”

The Providencian princess smiled broadly. “Should we go back inside?”

“No,” Ilizibith said, “let’s sit.” She walked over towards some benches in the garden. “We should get to know each other better.”

“Alright,” Letizia said following the Cyretian in her long, flowing gown. “Only if you tell me about your life in Cyretia…”

Jrawa
Lobbyist

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jrawa » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:02 pm

The Jrawan royals-in-exile took their assigned place at the dinner. Prince Samuel, a somewhat plump man in his fifties with a thick mane of white hair, would be a Crown Prince were it not for the inconvenient fact that great-great-great-great grandfather, King Gersem V, had been deposed by his cabinet. Unfortunately, Jrawa remained a republic to this day.

Such unfortunate facts, however, did not stop his father, Grand Duke Daniel from calling himself the Rightful King of Jrawa and Semien, and from insisting that his family maintain the lifestyle of a Royal Family.

Samuel looked over at his wife, Princess Sophie. At least the royal pretense had afforded him the opportunity to marry very well, and the family fortune - smuggled out of Jrawa in the years ahead of the “revolution” - allowed him to raise his own family in comfort.

The royal couple’s two adult children, Jacob and Alexandra, were both in university. Jacob was not very tall, but he cut an athletic figure - the result of years of competitive swimming, and he had an easy, disarming smile. Alexandra by contrast was fairly tall and rather curvaceous. In formal settings such as this, she managed to hide her innate introversion well with practiced smiles and generally gracious manners.

Samuel looked over the room. “There seem to be several young royals here.” He looked at Jacob and Alexandra. “You should be certain to meet some of them.”

Jacob smiled through a slight sigh, while Alexandra rolled her eyes and looked away.

New Jewlan
Attaché

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jewlan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

One does apologise, one cannot attend the ceremony, one's hair will be duly washed at said time by sleepy Joe, one's butler.
Do not click this spoiler!
Pro: Catholicism, Israel, Pro-Life, Nuclear Family, Black Humour, Cultural appropriation, Reggae, Foreign Films, Languages, Conservativism, History of English, Blondes, Bob Ross, Film History, Obscure Wiki pages, Black Ops 1, 90s DNB, TV, Alternative moon landing hypothesis, Surreal Films, Young Earth Creationism, Globe-earth theory, Flat-earth theory, Non-Blondes, British Soap Operas, Govt., Military, Free Speech

Anti: False Religions, Globalism, Communism, Govt., Military, Wrongthink, "Social" Media, Mobile gaming, Feminism, Racism, Terrorism, Climate Alarmism, The Enlightenment, Big Bang, Evolution, Atomisation of Society, Modernism, NASA, Revisionism, Americanisms, Nazism, Anti-Semitism, Revolution, Big Tech, ACAB, Anthropogenic CLIEmate Change

Brasland
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2006

Postby Brasland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm

Peter had had his doubts about coming to this wedding, but the King had insisted. There was no other member of the family available to attend. It was his duty. He knew Ilizibith would be there, for the groom was her cousin Michael, whom Peter loathed after their fight on the Cyretian desert. Was the King playing with him? No, he told himself, he couldn’t care less about my problems with the Cyretians. Problems? Was Princess Ilizibith a problem? Her beautiful face crossed his mind, and he closed his eyes, as if trying to suppress her image. But he had failed, she was still there, occupying all his thoughts, the face with whom he had dreamed countless times over those endless months in which he had used every bit of his willpower to prevent himself from dialing her number.

“Go, son”, his father had said. “If not to repair what you two broke, at least to explain your actions. She’s a good girl, she deserves an explanation.”

Peter knew his father was right, but that did not made things any easier. Anyway, there was no point in complaining. He was already there, in the Palacio María Cristina, hoping to pass as unnoticed as he could. He knew that eventually, as the official representative of Brasland, he would have to greet the Archduchess and that idiotic fiancé of hers. He just hoped that the palace officers would forget about him. After all, he was just a junior royal prince from a very distant realm. To what amounted Tehua’s trade with Brasland? Probably a ridiculous sum. With this hope in mind, he escaped to the gardens with a glass of champagne in his hand, safe in the knowledge that Ilizibith would be comfortably seated alongside the Tehuan and Cyretian ruling families.

“Holy sh…!”, he shouted involuntarily, surprised at the sight of the princess, who was sitting with Leopold’s sister-in-law Letizia.

He tried to regain his composure, quite aware that his pale face was now reddening and the hand holding the champagne was shaking.

“Eeeerm… Hi”.

Really, Peter?!, he thought to himself, that’s all you can say?!

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Brasland wrote:Peter had had his doubts about coming to this wedding, but the King had insisted. There was no other member of the family available to attend. It was his duty. He knew Ilizibith would be there, for the groom was her cousin Michael, whom Peter loathed after their fight on the Cyretian desert. Was the King playing with him? No, he told himself, he couldn’t care less about my problems with the Cyretians. Problems? Was Princess Ilizibith a problem? Her beautiful face crossed his mind, and he closed his eyes, as if trying to suppress her image. But he had failed, she was still there, occupying all his thoughts, the face with whom he had dreamed countless times over those endless months in which he had used every bit of his willpower to prevent himself from dialing her number.

“Go, son”, his father had said. “If not to repair what you two broke, at least to explain your actions. She’s a good girl, she deserves an explanation.”

Peter knew his father was right, but that did not made things any easier. Anyway, there was no point in complaining. He was already there, in the Palacio María Cristina, hoping to pass as unnoticed as he could. He knew that eventually, as the official representative of Brasland, he would have to greet the Archduchess and that idiotic fiancé of hers. He just hoped that the palace officers would forget about him. After all, he was just a junior royal prince from a very distant realm. To what amounted Tehua’s trade with Brasland? Probably a ridiculous sum. With this hope in mind, he escaped to the gardens with a glass of champagne in his hand, safe in the knowledge that Ilizibith would be comfortably seated alongside the Tehuan and Cyretian ruling families.

“Holy sh…!”, he shouted involuntarily, surprised at the sight of the princess, who was sitting with Leopold’s sister-in-law Letizia.

He tried to regain his composure, quite aware that his pale face was now reddening and the hand holding the champagne was shaking.

“Eeeerm… Hi”.

Really, Peter?!, he thought to himself, that’s all you can say?!

At the sound of Peter’s voice, Ilizibith looked up. Her eyes widened. Her mouth gapped. Her whole body tensed, but she did not move.

Instead, it was the Infanta Letizia of Providencia who stood. Her eyes narrowing and nostrils flaring, the young woman poked a finger at the Braslander. “Malparido! Pelagatos! Hijo de las…”

“Letty!” Ilizibith said, her tan face reddening.

The Infanta crossed her arms. “You have some nerve! And you are very fortunate that Lizi is much kinder than I.” She raised a hand to Peter’s face. “If you were my boyfriend…” She closed her hand quickly, making a fist, then twisted it and pulled it towards her. “Con permiso,” she said walking past Peter. Then turning to Ilizibith, she added, “I will just inside, my dear.”

Ilizibith stood. Folding her arms behind her back, she looked down at her feet. “Hello, Peter,” she said softly. “I’m sorry for Letty… she… she means well. She… I think she just feels badly for me.”

The Cyretian princess looked up at Peter. “How have you been?”

Brasland
Diplomat

Postby Brasland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:38 am

Feigning indifference, Peter approached but stopped a few meters from Ilizibith. He still held a grudge towards her. In his eyes, even if she had not done anything wrong, she had not stood her ground against her family. What did that tell him about her feelings? Did she care enough to fight for them? Everything with the two was either black or white, no middle ground. When it was good, it was the best. When it was bad, it was the worst. He did not know if she wanted him back, just as he was not entirely sure he wanted her. The only thing that was certain was how beautiful she looked under the moonlight, which brought him back to a night in the Cyretian desert they had spent looking at the stars, she telling him stories about the caravans of old and the wars between religious groups. Oh, Ilizibith, he sighed…. And then his mind wandered to that fight, and to Michael Gafsa, and how on that occasion she had not stood her ground either. And the rancor returned… but he did not want her to notice.

“I’ve been great”, he said, with an artificially enthusiastic tone. “Lots of work, a few trips and time with family and friends. What about you?”

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am

Brasland wrote:Feigning indifference, Peter approached but stopped a few meters from Ilizibith. He still held a grudge towards her. In his eyes, even if she had not done anything wrong, she had not stood her ground against her family. What did that tell him about her feelings? Did she care enough to fight for them? Everything with the two was either black or white, no middle ground. When it was good, it was the best. When it was bad, it was the worst. He did not know if she wanted him back, just as he was not entirely sure he wanted her. The only thing that was certain was how beautiful she looked under the moonlight, which brought him back to a night in the Cyretian desert they had spent looking at the stars, she telling him stories about the caravans of old and the wars between religious groups. Oh, Ilizibith, he sighed…. And then his mind wandered to that fight, and to Michael Gafsa, and how on that occasion she had not stood her ground either. And the rancor returned… but he did not want her to notice.

“I’ve been great”, he said, with an artificially enthusiastic tone. “Lots of work, a few trips and time with family and friends. What about you?”

Ilizibith’s face fell into a frown and she started blinking aware tears. “You… you really don’t care, do you, Peter?” She looked away from the young Braslander. “If… if you weren’t interested in me anymore, you could have at least had the decency to tell me… not just ignore me.”

She turned back to the prince, and her brows knotted and her eyes narrowed. “ Do you know how many times I called you? How many times I texted you? I do! I counted them! Fifty-six calls! A hundred and fifty-two texts!” She balled her fists. “I was worried about you! Worried that I’d done something to hurt you! But now… now you say you’ve been great? Having fun? Well, I’ve been miserable, thank you very much. That’s how I’ve been. My mother sent me to Excalbia and I spent the whole time moping around with James since we’d both just been dumped by the people we loved, The whole time I kept hoping you'd walk in the door, even if you walked in angry!”

The young princess trembled and her face flushed as she clenched her teeth and cried at the same time. She drew in several deep breaths. “Well, I wouldn’t want to keep you from your fun. Go! Go, have a blast. I’m sure there’re enough tramps around here to keep you entertained.”
Last edited by Cyretopolitania on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jrawa
Lobbyist

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jrawa » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm

The Jrawans did not sit alone at their table for long. The Duke and Duchess of Xaro and their daughter, Melchora, soon joined them. The family was of unmixed Xaro descent and, in fact, were the heirs of the pre-colonial Xarese monarchy. The duke was a dignified man, clean-shaven, with the first hints of grey showing in his long, dark hair. His wife was shorter and pleasantly plump. Their daughter was a striking young woman, tall, broad-shouldered, with raven hair and a slightly prominent jaw. “I am sorry we were briefly delayed,” the Duke said. “You were not meant to be sitting alone.”

Prince Samuel stood and gave a slight bow. “Good evening. A pleasure to meet you. I am Samuel, Prince of Semien and Jrawa.” He turned to his wife. “This is my wife, Princess Sophie.” The princess, middle-aged like her husband but somewhat less plump, gave a nod and smiled. “And these,” Samuel continued, “are our children, Jacob and Alexandra.”

Alexandra, tall and curvaceous with luxurious russet waves of hair, nodded and smiled. “Hardly children, Father,” she said with a smile. “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Yes, it is,” Jacob added as he stood and bowed slightly. He was on the short side, but four years on his university swim team had clearly left him with a trim, athletic figure.

“I am Jerónimo Rodriguez de Villalpando, the Duke of Xaro, and this is my wife, Leonor, and our daughter, Melchora,” the Duke said as he returned their bows. His wife and daughter curstied.

“A pleasure, indeed, Your Grace,” Samuel said with a smile. He gestured to the new arrivals to sit. “Please, sit. I’m sure there will be someone to bring the wine soon.”

“You and your daughter look lovely this evening, Your Grace,” Sophie said, turning to the Duchess.

Jacob nodded at his mother’s comment, then suddenly felt the need to carefully examine the pattern of the silverware.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Leonor said. “You are look lovely yourself.”

Melchora smiled amusedly at Jacob’s reaction. “How do you find Tehua?” she asked.

“Quite lovely,” Jacob said. “Much greener than our home in Sabrata,” he chuckled, “and much warmer than Landing.” He paused. “Where I go to school.” He paused again. “Though we haven’t seen much of Tehua yet; I’m sure there’s much more to see.”

“Oh, there’s a great deal,” Melchora enthused. “You really should see Xaro. It’s all majestic mountains and fertile valleys. Of course, I am biased.”

“I’d love to see it,” Jacob said. “I’m sure they’re quite different from the mountains in Cyretopolitania or Excalbia. And, you should be biased.” He smiled. “It’s your home. And it’s lovely.” He paused for a moment. “Perhaps I could visit Xaro while I’m here. I don’t need to get back to the University too soon.”

“Would that be all right?” Melchora asked.

“We would be happy to entertain you and your family,” the Duke said, addressing himself to Samuel.

Samuel looked at Sophie who smiled and nodded. “That would be wonderful, Your Grace,” he said after a moment, “if you’re sure it wouldn’t be any trouble.”

“None at all,” the Duke answered.

“Very good, Your Grace. Again - thank you,” Samuel said.

“Yes,” Jacob added, “thank you very much.”

(OOC: Joint post with Tehua.)

Brasland
Diplomat

Postby Brasland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Cyretopolitania wrote:Ilizibith’s face fell into a frown and she started blinking aware tears. “You… you really don’t care, do you, Peter?” She looked away from the young Braslander. “If… if you weren’t interested in me anymore, you could have at least had the decency to tell me… not just ignore me.”

She turned back to the prince, and her brows knotted and her eyes narrowed. “ Do you know how many times I called you? How many times I texted you? I do! I counted them! Fifty-six calls! A hundred and fifty-two texts!” She balled her fists. “I was worried about you! Worried that I’d done something to hurt you! But now… now you say you’ve been great? Having fun? Well, I’ve been miserable, thank you very much. That’s how I’ve been. My mother sent me to Excalbia and I spent the whole time moping around with James since we’d both just been dumped by the people we loved, The whole time I kept hoping you'd walk in the door, even if you walked in angry!”

The young princess trembled and her face flushed as she clenched her teeth and cried at the same time. She drew in several deep breaths. “Well, I wouldn’t want to keep you from your fun. Go! Go, have a blast. I’m sure there’re enough tramps around here to keep you entertained.”

As he listened to her accusations, Peter felt the anger growing inside him, and he couldn’t feign indifference anymore.

“I DON’T CARE?! I DON’T CARE???”, he shouted. “If I remember correctly it was you who accepted the pressures of your family to see if you liked that Excalbian ass****. It was you who ghosted me after the fight with Michael. It was you who were constantly second-guessing our relationship because your family is not sure about me! I’m not good enough for the King of Cyretopolitania’s daughter! I’m just a “junior prince”, your grandmother’s words! You have no strength to face your family and put your feet down. Why should I answer your messages? Why should I believe in you if you have shown me each and every time that you DON’T CARE enough! From day one I told you that I wanted to marry you, that you were the one for me. Do you think these months have been easy for me? You think I’ve been really enjoying myself? NO! I was lying just to save face.”

As the anger left his body, he couldn’t stop the tears that came after. Then Ilizibith started to cry as well and it felt like daggers into his heart. He dropped the glass, rushed to her side and took her hands into his.

“Ilizibith, I love you”, he stammered, feeling a despair that he had never experienced before. “How many times will I have to repeat that? How many more fights until you realize that we belong together? I’m willing to renounce everything for you, what else do you need as a proof that I love you?”

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Ilizibith burst into tears almost as soon as Peter started yelling. She turned her head away from him. She wanted to run back into the dining room, but there she could not bear the thought of bursting into the room in tears and making a fool of herself. Instead, she stood and weathered the tirade. She was about to run further into the gardens when Peter suddenly took her hands.

She started to pull away, but could not quite bring herself to do so. Instead she let Peter hold her.

“Oh, Peter… why couldn’t you have just let me explain? I knew what my mother wanted, and I knew that if I protested too much she’d just harden her opinion about us. So, I went… knowing that there was no one else I wanted! I only love you! You should have trusted me.” She turned and looked at Peter. “Even after you wouldn’t return my calls or answer my messages, I went back to my mother and told her there was no one else for me…”

Ilizibith squeezed Peter’s hand. “There is no one else I want. Only you, Peter.”

She reached up and kissed the Braslander. “Do you want us to be together? To be married? Really?”
Last edited by Cyretopolitania on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brasland
Diplomat

Postby Brasland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Cyretopolitania wrote:Ilizibith burst into tears almost as soon as Peter started yelling. She turned her head away from him. She wanted to run back into the dining room, but there she could not bear the thought of bursting into the room in tears and making a fool of herself. Instead, she stood and weathered the tirade. She was about to run further into the gardens when Peter suddenly took her hands.

She started to pull away, but could not quite bring herself to do so. Instead she let Peter hold her.

“Oh, Peter… why couldn’t you have just let me explain? I knew what my mother wanted, and I knew that if I protested too much she’d just harden her opinion about us. So, I went… knowing that there was no one else I wanted! I only love you! You should have trusted me.” She turned and looked at Peter. “Even after you wouldn’t return my calls or answer my messages, I went back to my mother and told her there was no one else for me…”

Ilizibith squeezed Peter’s hand. “There is no one else I want. Only you, Peter.”

She reached up and kissed the Braslander. “Do you want us to be together? To be married? Really?”

For a few seconds after she kissed him he couldn’t talk. He was overwhelmed with emotions. Then he kissed her back.

“I’ve wanted to marry you since I first set eyes on you”, he said, wiping a few tears off her cheeks.

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:58 pm

Brasland wrote:For a few seconds after she kissed him he couldn’t talk. He was overwhelmed with emotions. Then he kissed her back.

“I’ve wanted to marry you since I first set eyes on you”, he said, wiping a few tears off her cheeks.

“If you ask my father for my hand, he’ll say no,” Ilizibith said. Then, she smiled. “So, we’ll need to marry without asking his permission.” She bit her lip. “Are you brave enough to run away with me, my lieutenant? Just ask me, and I will run away with you. Right now. This very night.”

Ultrasylva
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 01, 2021

Postby Ultrasylva » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 pm

The Ultrasylvan royal family entered next. King János was a broad-shouldered with greying hair who carried himself with a reserved dignity. His wife, Queen Julianna, carried herself with an elegant grace as her blue eyes surveyed the room. Their eldest child, 24 year-old Princess Zsófia, was a statuesque blond woman who moved with confidence. She was, perhaps, somewhat on display. She was herself still unattached. Prince Ferenc had darker hair, full and wavy, and cut a dashing figure in his colonel’s uniform. Princess Erzsébet, their younger sister at 19 years, had her brother’s dark curls and slightly rounder figure. The Ultrasylvans made their way to their assigned table, shared with the Caldan royal family.

“Brother,” Gwendolyn said to János.

“Sister,” he answered. The queens sat. Then the king and the prince consort. Then the rest of their families. “It doesn’t seem so long ago when Julianna and I had this moment.”

“I was just saying something similar to Peter,” Gwendolyn replied.

“Your Majesties,” Peter said with a slight bow before taking his seat. “There is something about life events, like weddings, births and funerals, that make you stop and realize how quickly time is passing.”

“Too quickly,” Gwendolyn said. “Before we know it, we’ll be at Charlie’s wedding.”

“I imagine it’s on your mind?” the Duke of Huntington said to Princess Zsófia.

The Princess looked momentarily nonplussed, as if she hadn’t expected to be asked quite so bluntly. “I have given it a thought,” she said.

Peter managed a sympathetic smile in Zsofia's direction. He remembered, and not too fondly, the days of being "on the circuit" as an eligible if spare, prince. He really was astoundingly lucky to have ended up with Gwendolyn.

He turned to his wife and said, "Have you heard about James' attempts to find a match? After he broke up with Sunnie he's been almost frantic to get matched up with 'a suitable' prospect." Then, he added in a whisper, "Do you recognize the people over there," be glanced towards the Jrawan exiles, "they keep looking over here."

“I understand the feeling,” Prince Andrew interjected in response to Prince Peter. This got him sharp looks from his parents though the Queen ignored it.

“The Jrawan royal family,” Gwendolyn answered her husband. “In exile, I believe.”

“The old Anahuacan royal family is here as well,” János added. “I believe they have some kinship with the pre-colonial Tehuan empire.”

"Jrawans, eh?" Peter glanced over at their table. "Should we invite them over to say hello? They look kind of… lonely over there."

“I’m sure someone will be seated with them,” Gwendolyn said.

"I'm sure you're right," Peter said. Then, with a smile, "I wonder if James is coming… I suspect he'd attract quite a bit of attention himself." He glanced at Zsofia; she would definitely attract his younger cousin's attention.

No sooner had the Prince Consort mentioned his cousin than Prince James walked into the hall. The 25-year old prince was tall, if not quite as tall as his brother Crown Prince Joseph, and wore a fashionably tight dark suit. His blond hair was shorter than usual - the result of his recent completion of military training in the Imperial Navy.

James walked towards Peter and Gwendolyn. “Your Majesty,” he said with a smile and bow. “Peter,” he said, patting his cousin on the back. “It’s good to see you again, old man!”

“Your Highness,” Gwendolyn greeted Peter. “Have you been introduced to Their Majesties, the King and Queen of Ultrasylva, their children, Their Imperial Highnesses the Archduke and Archduchess and their son, and Their Graces the Duke and Duchess of Huntington, and their son?”

James turned to face the other royals. “Your Majesties,” he said with a bow. “Your Highnesses…. Your Imperial Highnesses…. Your Graces. Truly a pleasure to meet all of you. James, Prince of Excalbia and Baron of Parnu,” he added by way of introduction. After turning to each of the royals as he greeted them, the prince’s eyes seemed to keep drifting back to Zsófia.

Introductions completed, Gwendolyn gestured to an empty chair. “I believe you at our table, Your Highness.” She glanced to Archduke Felipe as if to confirm, though she already knew the answer.

Felipe nodded. He had said very little, although he was nominally there as something of a host. He never seemed to smile. “Is this your first time in Tehua, Prince Peter?” he asked. He was trying, apparently.

“Yes, it is,” Peter said as he watched his cousin James take his seat. He glanced over at Gwendolyn. “Although if we had realized its beauty, we surely would have visited sooner.” He smiled and turned to James. “How about you, James? Is this your first visit?”

James, still situating himself smiled with the lower half of his face. “Yes, yes, it is.” He glanced quickly at Zsófia, his eye crinkling slightly and his smile becoming warmer, before turning to Felipe. “And I am quite pleased that my Father sent me to represent him at this joyful event.”

Zsófia returned his smile. “It is a fascinating country. I have been reading up on Tehuan history. History everywhere is so…”

Felipe arched a brow at her. “Complicated?” Gwendolyn suggested.

“Messy,” Zsófia answered.

James laughed. “Yes. To say the least.”

“I know less about Excalbian history,” she admitted.

James smiled. “I would be honoured to bore you with all the details, Your Highness. It is a story that begins in blood and steel and revenge, takes a romantic twist or two, and ends with tiddy, orderly country that is, perhaps, overly interested in ball games.”

“I think nearly every nation is overly interested in ball games,” Zsófia allowed with a little laugh. “For us, it is football...Association football...and water polo.”

“In Excalbia, it’s gridiron football. And baseball. My father… the Emperor, loves baseball. Personally, I’d rather play myself. Or do something else for fun, rather than watching others play ball.”

“Gridiron football but not Caldan-rules football,” Gwendolyn interjected. “It’s not that different. Mostly the size of the fields.”

“Interesting,” Zsófia said insincerely to the Queen before looking back to James. “Do you play?”

“Not football,” Peter said, “I always preferred basketball. But I only played pick-up games.” He paused. “How about you? Do you play… sports?”

“I used to ride competitively but...I don’t want to sound like...Well, I’ve come to worry that it’s cruel,” she said.

“It seems like everything’s cruel,” Archduke Felipe interjected. “Our own government banned bullfighting in 2013. Some would say a great deal of art and culture was lost.”

“Some, I’m sure,” Zsófia said a bit coldly.

“The younger generation doesn’t understand bulls aren’t pets,” Felipe continued with the first genuine smile he’d shown all night. There was something predatory and aggressive about it. It carried with it nothing of camaraderie. At least not in this company.

Peter slightly arched an eyebrow. “I must confess that I have little experience with bullfighting. I do enjoy a good ride once in a while - not competitively - and I hope, at least, that the steed enjoys the ride as much as I do.”

“Well, we never developed any animal fighting… culture in the Excalbian Isles,” James added. “I think our ancestors were too busy fighting each other to do so.” He looked at Zsófia. “As I was alluding to earlier, you could say that our nation was founded in an act of revenge…,” he noticed Peter slightly frown, “but that our modern empire was… born of a romance.”

“There used to be dog fighting in Ultrasylva,” Zsófia volunteered, “but it was banned in the 80s. Ultrasylva was one of many states that split from the old Ernestine Empire.” She tilted her head. “But a romance? That does sound interesting.”

James leaned slightly towards Zsófia. “I would be happy to tell you the whole story… perhaps we could step outside at some point. So as not to bore everyone else.”

“Perhaps,” Zsófia agreed.

Brasland
Diplomat

Postby Brasland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 pm

Cyretopolitania wrote:“If you ask my father for my hand, he’ll say no,” Ilizibith said. Then, she smiled. “So, we’ll need to marry without asking his permission.” She bit her lip. “Are you brave enough to run away with me, my lieutenant? Just ask me, and I will run away with you. Right now. This very night.”

Elope? And without permission? Doing something forbidden? Either this girl knew him well or she knew him well. With a devilish twinkle in his eye, Peter kissed her again.

“My darling, would you run away with me?”, he asked her, smiling. “Where? I don’t know, somewhere no one can find us until it’s too late.”

He gently took her hand and stopped for a moment just to look at her. God, she was gorgeous. He winked at her and they slipped away quietly, disappearing in the middle of the Tehuan night.

Cyretopolitania
Spokesperson

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cyretopolitania » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 am

Even as Princess Ilizibith made her way through the night with Peter, she realized that her sudden unexplained disappearance would cause chaos and ruin her cousin Michael’s wedding, something she most certainly didn’t want to do.

She asked Peter to pause for a moment while she took out her phone. She sent four text messages - one to the Infanta Letizia, one to her cousin Hannah and one to her mother. Knowing that neither Hannah nor her mother would have their phone at dinner, she sent the last text to her lady-in-waiting, Bakhta.

Bakhta read the message almost immediately and quickly found the Queen’s lady-in-waiting, Herru. She showed Herru the message, and Herru quickly retrieved the Queen’s phone and made her way to the head table. She apologized for the interruption and handed the Queen her phone.

Queen Samia opened the phone and read the message. She frowned and leaned towards her husband. She whispered in his ear, then stood. “Your Majesty, Your Highnesses, please excuse me,” she said bowing her head apologetically, “but I need a quick word with my husband.”

King Aksel IX stood and bowed slightly. “Your pardon, please, Your Majesty. Your Highnesses.”

The King followed the Queen out of the dining room and into a quiet nook in the hallway outside.

“Ilizibith has run off with that Braslander! They’re going to marry...” Samia said, grabbing her husband’s arm.

“That dog! I’ll have him hunted down…”

Samia shook her head. “We can’t do that, Aksel… we can’t ruin Michael’s wedding. And we’re not in Cyretopolitania…”

“But,” Aksel said, “that bastard broke Lizi’s heart! We can’t let him…”

“Aksel,” Samia said, squeezing the King’s arm, “she’s an adult… we can’t stop her.” She looked away. “And their breakup might not have been entirely Peter’s fault…”

“What?”

“I asked Ilizibith to go to Excalbia specifically without Peter, and knowing he wouldn’t be there, to see if she might find… another suitor…”

Aksel frowned. “It’s not like you to meddle…” He exhaled. “It was my mother’s idea, wasn’t it?”

“No…”

“It was.” Aksel hugged his wife. “I know her…” He took a deep breath. “So, what do we do about Ilizibith?”

“There’s nothing we can do, Aksel,” Samia said. “If we reject the marriage, we reject Ilizibith. We lose our daughter…”

Aksel looked down. “I can’t bear that thought…”

“I know.”

Aksel sighed. “Write Ilizibith. Tell her that we’re not happy about this.” Samia looked up plaintively at her husband, and he added, “But we love her. And nothing will change that…”

Samia gave a weak smile. “What will we tell everyone else?”

Aksel looked to one side. “We’ll… we’ll tell everyone that she was suddenly taken ill and is returning to Cyretopolitania…”

Samia nodded.

The King and Queen kissed, then returned to the dining room hand-in-hand.

Excalbia
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Excalbia » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:20 pm

OOC: Joint post with Ultrasylva.

Zsófia stepped out into the Central Courtyard with James, looking at the elegant, layered fountain in the center that seemed to resemble the Archangel Michael. “It is rather lovely in the moonlight,” she confessed. “So you were to tell me of Excalbia?”

“It is lovely out here in the moonlight,” James said, looking at Zsófia rather than the fountain. He gave a lopsided smile. “Well, Excalbia’s history is a bit of a long story. If I bore you, you’ll have to let me know.”

“I very much doubt you’ll bore me,” she answered him, turning to meet his gaze before looking just slightly past. She smiled faintly.

The prince took a step closer to the princess. “About, oh, four hundred and thirty-some years Excalbia was a wild land, divided into many warring fiefdoms. A powerful lord, the ruler of a place called Valmiera, was murdered. His son and heir, a young man named Alsgood, vowed revenge. He methodically defeated his father’s enemies in battle after battle, fighting alongside his brothers Thorvald and Harold. He forged alliances with those who would submit to his will and conquered those who would not.”

James looked into Zsófia’s eyes. “They say that one night his wife, Laima dreamt of a dove descending from the heavens, resting on a fortress on an island at the confluence of the Excalbia and Valmiera Rivers, and saying, ‘Here you will make your kingdom.’ So, Alsgood seized the citadel and there proclaimed himself king. Our first king.”

“Should I go on?” James asked with a smile. “Here come the twists. Alsgood was succeeded first by his only son, then by his nephew. His nephew’s sons followed, with the second of the two to rule dying and leaving the kingdom to his daughter, a girl of only 16 known as Hildegaard. Of course, the barons doubted the ability of a girl to rule and rebelled. Hildegaard led her arms into battle, slaying her enemies by her own hand and falling in love with the captain of her army, who happened to be a distant cousin and the great-grandson of Alsgood. They married and all our monarchs have been their descendants, including my father.

“Through all this, our kings and queens were torn between Christianity, which was embraced by the lowlanders and the fire cult still followed by the highlanders. Finally, early in the 19th century, the Crown Prince, Throvald, had a very public conversion, changed his name to Joshua, united the highland kingdom and the independent lowland states, and proclaimed the Holy Empire. Some say Christ appeared to him in a vision before his conversion.” James paused and studied Zsófia’s face. “But others say that the vision he saw was the beautiful daughter of a Christian minister, a young woman named Abigail, who became his wife and our first Empress.”

James took a step back and folded his hands in front of him. “I’m afraid I monopolized the conversation. Tell me about your… country. And yourself.”

“Oh, hardly, I asked you to tell me,” she answered, “though I’m afraid Ultrasylvan history is not so romantic. The Union of the Three Nations was brought about after the Uprising of 1434 where much of the peasantry and many of the burghers rose up demanding greater reforms. Under the Union, representatives of the Magyar nobility, Saxon patricians, and leaders of the Székely free military met together in an early legislature. They appointed my ancestor, Álmos, their prince, in charge of their combined forces. Not exactly the most heroic beginning.” She sighed slightly, glancing to James. “Most Ultrasylvans prefer to look to István I, a century later, who became our first independent king championing many of the same reforms as well as greater religious tolerance, or to István II, his son, who not only got an even stronger guarantee of religious liberty through the Diet but was himself famously, or infamously, open to argument. He held that the issues raised in the Reformation were best addressed in public debate and hosted several between Catholic theologians and reformers. As his reign progressed, he got more and more radical himself, beginning as a liberal and humanistic Catholic before being one over by the doctrines of Luther, then Calvin, then Sozzini.” She laughed, her cheeks coloring just slightly as she lowered her eyes. “Not quite the stuff of visions of a beautiful bride…”

James smiled. “The visions of beautiful brides of the past can’t compare to… the beauty of a living princess in the here and now.” He tilted his head to one side and looked at Zsófia. “So, tell me about yourself… What does a princess of Ultrasylva do these days? I’d very much like to know.”

Zsófia couldn’t help but blush when he said that. “You have a smooth tongue, Prince James,” she said, pausing a moment before answering him. “I’m studying veterinary medicine, actually. I grew up around dogs and falcons and horses and it’s expanded to wildlife. An Ultrasylvan princess is allowed a career only in philanthropy but most of mine has involved helping vulnerable species in our country and internationally. So what does an Excalbian prince do?”

For the first time, James' smile slipped ever so slightly. “I… I studied 3D computer animation and design, once. Thought to make a career of it. Being a spare who’s no longer needed with nieces and, now, a nephew ahead of me in the succession gave me that opportunity. Or so I thought.” He shrugged. “But,” he drew in a breath, “I… I learned that life isn’t always about what we want, but what we need to do. So, now, I’m… engaged... in philanthropy myself. And trying to support myself without having to rely on my… allowance.” He smiled again. “I’ve actually just renovated my titular estate in Parnu. I’m hoping it’ll boost the local economy. And I’m serving on the boards of several charities.” His smile broadened. “Perhaps I should look to make more contributions to vulnerable and endangered species. Maybe you could give me some recommendations.”

Zsófia watched him closely. She lifted a hand but then lowered it, looking embarrassed for a second. “Life isn’t all about what we want,” she agreed, “but maybe you’ll still find time for computer animation. I’d like to see that.” She smiled. “I actually think you could do a lot with bears in Excalbia. People tend to be nervous about animals like that. They can be a threat to pets and livestock, occasionally to humans, but if you organize things right people and bears can live peacefully and they are amazing creatures to see. More playful than a lot of people think.”

James rubbed his chin. “Bears, eh?” He looked off to the side. “We used to hunt them, you know. Well, not ‘we’ as in me. Or my family. But, back in the old days. One of our mythical figures is Lacplesis, the Bear-Slayer. There’re more than a few bearskins in our chateau in the mountains… old ones, of course.” He looked back at Zsófia. “Sorry. But, yes, that’s a terrific idea. I know there aren’t many left and conservation efforts are underway.” He paused. “Maybe you should… come for a visit. We… that is I would be happy to show you some of the conservation areas. We could meet with some of the organizations working in the field… You could help me understand the problem. The needs. And help me sort out how I could best make a difference.”

“I never really had much heart for hunting,” Zsófia said, pausing a moment, “but historically hunters have been the founders of conservation movements.” She considered and then she nodded. “I’d have to ask my father, but I think he’d agree. Probably not alone.” She gave a slightly lopsided smile and rolled her eyes as if at the silliness of all such conventions, but the Ultrasylvans had not escaped them.

“Of course,”James said. “I’d be glad to welcome you, and whoever your… chaperone would be to Excalbia. You might enjoy seeing the chateau I mentioned, Zilais Kalns. It’s a beautiful, natural area. Up in the Borodea Mountains. We go skiing there. In season. One of the nature preserves isn’t far from there.” He leaned towards Zsófia. “And you can assure your father that we’ll never be alone. The place is crawling with the staff of the Imperial Household Agency. I suspect they have more eyes than Imperial Intelligence.”

“I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear that,” Zsófia said with a laugh. “It can be hard to find a moment alone sometimes, can’t it?” She looked around as if someone might pick just that moment to interrupt but, of course, no one did.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates