NATION

PASSWORD

Salvation for a price: A hypothetical

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 am

I would first need to be convinced that He's really a God and not a hallucinogenic delusion or symptoms of schizophrenia, which is far more likely to happen and to order you to do something like that. If that's settled, however, kill him.

Usually it goes along the way of "God knows better", but even if God is just a megalomaniacal dictator (which is something I genuinely believed for sometime before abandoning my faith altogether), I'll still do it without a second thought. It's like paying taxes: you do it, even if you hate it, else you go to prison.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:28 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:It’s a very difficult question.

The law says murder is illegal so on its face I shouldn’t do it. But then does the law of the god trump the laws of the nation state? I’m not sure. There’s not been a ruling by an authoritative body on this.

I think it’s better to stay on the lawful side if things are uncertain and not kill the person.

The law of the state puts you in jail for life. God's law puts you in the lake of fire forever.

I see...

In that case I think Hong Kong/PRC law should still take precedence.

So I wouldn’t kill because murder isn’t allowed by the state.

This is because God hasn’t invaded and occupied this territory yet so he can’t declare the supremacy of his law, his competing claim for jurisdiction isn’t established yet through right of conquest. In my view the lawful authority (unless God sends an army, wins a war and establishes a new order with sufficient international recognition) still lies with the government here. And the government here holds steadfast against murder.

I will not be involved in law breaking behavior. If God decides to send me to a burning lake in the aftermath, I must insist that this would be illegal. It may not stop the burning action but it would rightfully be deemed illegal nonetheless
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The law of the state puts you in jail for life. God's law puts you in the lake of fire forever.

I see...

This is because God hasn’t invaded and occupied this territory yet so he can’t declare the supremacy of his law, his competing claim for jurisdiction isn’t established yet through right of conquest. In my view the lawful authority (unless God sends an army, wins a war and establishes a new order with sufficient international recognition) still lies with the government here. And the government here holds steadfast against murder.

I will not be involved in law breaking behavior. If God decides to send me to a burning lake in the aftermath, I must insist that this would be illegal. It may not stop the burning action but it would rightfully be deemed illegal nonetheless

In that case, you're better off relying on the Americans.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:47 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Is this black humor? :rofl:
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Turelisa-
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:55 am

This is a stupid and unrealistic dilemma. I wonder if this thead really is a ingenuous question meant to stimulate ethical debate or is it a disingenuous one aimed at stirring controversy and provoking outrage.
God would never reveal himself directly by manifesting in a physical form to a person, nor would he offer to spare them eternal damnation if His command to murder was obeyed. He made it unequivocally clear on the Mount to Moses that murder was against His law.
The only time when God mainfested in a physical, human form to reveal his will directly was in the figure of Jesus, to redeem fallen mankind, and Jesus never preached murder - he said his purpose was to fulfil the law, not to destroy it.
Last edited by Turelisa- on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

IM is dedicated to the rule of law, in general. So probably not a joke.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:48 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I see...

Bruh you are going to burn for eternity if you don't do it. Does that not concern you?
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:49 am

Turelisa- wrote:This is a stupid and unrealistic dilemma.
God would never reveal himself directly by manifesting in a physical form to a person, nor would he offer to spare them eternal damnation if His command to murder was obeyed. He made it unequivocally clear on the Mount to Moses that murder was against His law.
The only time when God mainfested in a physical, human form to reveal his will directly was in the figure of Jesus, to redeem fallen mankind, and Jesus never preached murder - he said his purpose was to fulfil the law, not to destroy it.

Murder is against God's law...except when he sent Moses to kill the Midianites or when he struck down every first born Egyptian personally.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:52 am

I'll go to hell.

All my friends are there.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Glen Ellyn
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen Ellyn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:49 am

As already pointed out God would never do this. But this brings up a question: why propose this thought experiment?

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 am

Glen Ellyn wrote:As already pointed out God would never do this. But this brings up a question: why propose this thought experiment?

Because I wanna see if there is someone who would not commit an immoral act no matter what the cost of failing to perform said act was.

Dakran
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dakran » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:46 pm

What if I instead take the gun and kill God, completing the prophecy that Fox News harps on about every other week?
Trans flag here She/Her
01_EMBASSY_PROPOSE
WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS
Baltenstein wrote:Source:
The Turkish minister of Turkishness, Öztürk Türkuglu.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Hmmm... it does read like black humor on a re-read 0_0

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
I see...

Bruh you are going to burn for eternity if you don't do it. Does that not concern you?

I don’t want to be burned for eternity.

I truly hope I will find the courage and do the right thing (obey the law). :(

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 pm

If it is INDEED/TRULY the creator/s of the UNIVERSE

I would think nobody here would truly take damnation, it's easy to say that behind a keyboard but if you knew 100% for a fact you were about to be tortured for an eternity, you would probably go through with it.

as long as he goes to "paradise"

if he dosn't go to paradise, then it get's more dicey.
Germanic-American Republic of New Steuben/Germanisch-Amerikanische Republik Neu Steuben
Government: Germanic Neo-Pagan Nationalist Constitutional Republic
Head of State: President Otto Wilson
Head of Government: Chancellor Arthur Berg
Ethnicity's: Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Southern/Eastern Euro Minorities
Climate: Continental

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 pm

I’m imagining this is how it goes down:

God convinces IM to do the killing with the threat of the eternal damnation.

IM goes in with a gun, but due to hesitation John tries to escape and fight back, pulling up a massive fight.

IM gets the upper hand and points the gun at John again.

God appears and tells IM to finish John.

The 1-2 min suspense...

“No. (Throws gun down). I must obey the law. It’s illegal in Hong Kong to commit murder. I shall not go there. I’m a good citizen.”

“Now now now IM... let’s not be hasty. This is a divine command... and I’ve shown you the cost of disobedience.”

“Then take it up with the National People’s Congress.”

God sighs. Walks over and snaps his fingers. John starts twitching, suffering and dying as he’s engulfed in a blue light and searing sound echoes across the whole room.

IM: “What! What are you doing?!!! STOP!”

John is dying. IM picks up the gun and starts shooting at God but the bullets just never seem to reach the target at all.

There’s a flash of overwhelming green light.

Cut to IM and billions+ others being burned alive in a lake of fire.

Sad piano music plays.

God walks around the edges morosely. “If only you all had faith in me... if only... I tried to save you all my children, I tried.”
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m imagining this is how it goes down:

God convinces IM to do the killing with the threat of the eternal damnation.

IM goes in with a gun, but due to hesitation John tries to escape and fight back, pulling up a massive fight.

IM gets the upper hand and points the gun at John again.

God appears and tells IM to finish John.

The 1-2 min suspense...

“No. (Throws gun down). I must obey the law. It’s illegal in Hong Kong to commit murder. I shall not go there. I’m a good citizen.”

“Now now now IM... let’s not be hasty. This is a divine command... and I’ve shown you the cost of disobedience.”

“Then take it up with the National People’s Congress.”

God sighs. Walks over and snaps his fingers. John starts twitching, suffering and dying as he’s engulfed in a blue light and searing sound echoes across the whole room.

IM: “What! What are you doing?!!! STOP!”

John is dying. IM picks up the gun and starts shouting at God but the bullets just never seem to reach the target at all.

There’s a flash of overwhelming green light.

Cut to IM and billions+ others being burned alive in a lake of fire.

Sad piano music plays.

God walks around the edges morosely. “If only you all had faith in me... if only... I tried to save you all my children, I tried.”

Damn, dark

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm

The Binding of Isaac: The Remake (4k)
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 pm

It's time to kill a God, I guess.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Every religion asks a price

Antarcticanie
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Antarcticanie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 am

Resilient Acceleration wrote: It's like paying taxes: you do it, even if you hate it, else you go to prison.

Wait, you pay taxes? Haha, nerd.
Antarcticanie, a small society based in coastal Antarctica. Anarcho-primivist on the individual level, with the state taking what is necessary for the continual function of society. Run by a bunch of college dropouts with undergraduate degrees in Gender Theory and Economics.

OOC INFO:
Pro: Trump, pacificism (kind of), Ukraine, America, police (I'm not a bootlicker I swear), John Doyle, capitalism
Anti: Biden, forever wars, liberalism/marxism, libertarianism, BLM, globalism, cringe Vaush and Destiny (not gamer)
Note: Antarcticanie does not represent my political views. I just thought it would be funny if Antarctica was anprim, then got really into it.
PolComp: Left/Right 4.38 Auth/Lib 2.56

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 am

Antarcticanie wrote:
Resilient Acceleration wrote: It's like paying taxes: you do it, even if you hate it, else you go to prison.

Wait, you pay taxes? Haha, nerd.

Italian things

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General