NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] City On A Lockdown?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Tamyo
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] City On A Lockdown?

Postby Tamyo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:38 am

I've written a new issue for NationStates, hopefully it gets approved.

Issue: City On A Lockdown?

Pretext: Due to the recent outbreak of a novel influenza virus in (@@NATIONNAME@@) which is also causing a major pandemic around the world, hospitals are nearly overwhelmed in (@@NATIONNAME@@), and deaths are mounting. A few of your most trusted advisors and friends arrive at your office to give you advice on how to proceed.

--

Option 1: Your health minister, (@@RANDOMNAME@@) barges into your office demanding that you shut down absolutely everything, immediately, and until a suitable vaccine is developed. “We can’t be risking (@@DEMONYM@@) lives any longer! A full lockdown; complete with closing the border, mandating masks, shutting down non-essential businesses, closing parks, and keeping everyone inside unless they have a permit to be outdoors is the only thing we can do to stop more people from catching this terrible flu! Until a vaccine, at the very least!”

Effects, Positive:
-Life Expectancy
-Public Healthcare
-Charmlessness
Effects, Negative:
-Economy
-Civil Liberties
-Economic Freedom
-Cheerfulness
-Tourism

--

Option 2: “Woah, let’s not get too hasty with these measures. The people of (@@NATIONNAME@@) have rights, you know?” (@@RANDOMNAME_MALE@@), your friend from the local skatepark interjects. “In Osholm, they haven’t done a lockdown, and their death rate is no higher compared with their neighbours that did! Besides, this is a virus with over a 99% survival rate even without treatment, and most people that die are over eighty years old. Don’t shut down our society over this, and I hope to see you at the skate park over the weekend! You’ve got to see this new board I bought over in (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@).”

Effects, Positive:
-Civil Liberties
-Cheerfulness
-Youth Rebelliousness
-Tourism
-Economic Freedom
Effects, Negative:
-Life Expectancy
-Charmlessness

--

Option 3: (@@RANDOMNAME@@), your finance minister, calmly tells you “while I agree with (@@RANDOMNAME_OPTION1@@) in that we need to keep those particularly vulnerable safe, we don’t need to go too far. Let (@@RANDOMNAME_OPTION2@@) skate, tell people to keep their distance, close a few high risk venues, require PCR tests from inbound travelers, and advise people with elevated risk factors to be particularly cautious. At least this won’t completely destroy the (@@DEMONYM@@) economy!”

Effects, Positive:
-Scientific Advancement
-Public Healthcare
-Life Expectancy
Effects, Negative:
-Economic Freedom
-Tourism

--

Option 4: An eccentric-looking hipster with purple hair and a slight sunburn walks into your office. You haven’t seen her before, but she’s quick to cut to the chase as she hands you the name card of an obscure foreign head of state. “I’m (@@RANDOMNAME_FEMALE@@), from (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@), and I was actually here to photograph your urban scenery and write some cool philosophical fiction involving your country. You’d love it, and I’m a huge fan of yours. Here’s the thing; lockdowns are incredibly cringe, and as your skater friend said, nobody as cool as us likes them. Nonetheless, he doesn’t go anywhere near far enough in his advice to you. My boss, you know, the guy who’s name card I just gave you, is about to declare a worldwide war on tyranny; a jihad against lockdowns so to speak. His plan is simple; sanction, subvert, and bomb any country that refuses to end their lockdown within a month after he demands they do so. The best part is, you can join us! Imagine the money you could personally make if you demanded a monthly tribute from the lockdown countries if they want to keep their lockdowns and avoid our joint fire and fury! We’re for freedom, we’re based, and if you are too; call my boss, and discuss this further with him over a glass of our finest wine." An angry looking bald eagle soars in the distance outside your window.

Effects, Positive:
-Industry: Arms Manufacturing
-Alcohol Consumption
-Defence Forces
-Economy
-Civil Liberties
-Cheerfulness
-Culture
-Tourism
-Charmlessness
-Authoritarianism
-Economic Freedom
-Ideological Radicality
Effects, Negative:
-Life Expectancy
-Pacifism
-Niceness
-Compassion

--

Option 5: “While human rights are important, and I suggest we follow the advice of your skater friend, we can’t be threatening our hypochondriac neighbours with war or tribute should they wish to keep their lockdowns. They’ll see us as the next America!” Suggests (@@RANDOMNAME_MALE@@), the head of your foreign trade committee, with a less than a discreet wad of obscure foreign currency stuffed into his jacket pocket. “Obviously, the dignitaries from (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME_OPTION4@@) are just being dramatic to get your attention. Have you seen the memes that those edgelords broadcast on state TV? They’re the biggest trolls in (@@REGIONNAME@@)! The thing is though, (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME_OPTION4@@) is absolutely fantastic as an investment destination, and is way ahead of the rest of the world in many regards. Why don’t you tell the national pension fund to buy more of their investment bonds? The returns are tantalizing, and the future for us is incredibly sunny!” He proceeds to slip you a handful of cash.

Effects, Positive:
-Corruption
-Economy
-Foreign Aid
-Civil Liberties
-Cheerfulness
-Environmental Beauty
-Alcohol Consumption
-Tourism
-Influence
-Economic Freedom
Effects, Negative:
-Life Expectancy
-Charmlessness
-Integrity

--
Note, the formatting has been changed to make it more readable; and yes, some of the effects are purely hypothetical.
Last edited by Tamyo on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Giovanniland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 am

I am not 100% sure whether the moratorium on pandemic related issues still stands (would need confirmation from a more experienced member) but if it does, this issue won't probably be accepted for a while.
Last edited by Giovanniland on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Giovanniland

51st Delegate of the West Pacific
Former TWP Speaker of the Hall (x3), Guardian and Minister of Foreign Affairs

WA Author (SC#364, SC#372, SC#373, SC#377)
Card Collector (once the highest deck value ever at 26 million, maintains the Collection Collection Thread)

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 am

Tamyo wrote:Effects, Positive:
-Life Expectancy
-Public Healthcare
-Charmlessness
Effects, Negative:
-Economy
-Civil Liberties
-Economic Freedom
-Cheerfulness
-Tourism

Whether or not the moratorium stands, the editors have certainly not wanted people to include statistical effects in their drafts for a few years.

Tamyo wrote:Pretext: Due to the recent outbreak of a novel influenza virus in (@@NATIONNAME@@)...

The "Pretext" is typically referred to as a description and standard custom is not to put brackets around @@VARIABLES@@.

Tamyo wrote:Your health minister, (@@RANDOMNAME@@) barges into your office demanding that you shut down absolutely everything, immediately, and until a suitable vaccine is developed.

"[A]bsolutely everything?" Which city is this happening in? If you're calling your issue "City On A Lockdown," your issue should be about a city, not about the entire nation ;P

Tamyo wrote:(Image)

As far as I know, images aren't allowed in issues, or at least I've never seen that happen before.

Tamyo wrote:“...your skater friend...”

Are you absolutely sure that @@LEADER@@ has friends of any description?

Tamyo wrote:“...They’ll see us as the next America!” Suggests (@@RANDOMNAME_MALE@@)

Firstly, "suggests" should not begin with a capital letter. Secondly, does "America" exist in the Issuesverse?

Tamyo wrote:“I’m (@@RANDOMNAME_FEMALE@@), from (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@)...”

The @@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@ macro does not exist.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:52 am

A few things here: First of all, I don't understand why you have included a gigantic image in the draft. Second, remove the "A" from the title, as just "city on lockdown" seems more grammatically correct. Third, you don't need to put the statistics effects in the draft, as the Editors do that themselves on the basis of each option.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Balkede
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkede » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:54 am

Your options are ridiculously long. Trim it down to the essential parts

Tamyo
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamyo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:29 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Tamyo wrote:Effects, Positive:
-Life Expectancy
-Public Healthcare
-Charmlessness
Effects, Negative:
-Economy
-Civil Liberties
-Economic Freedom
-Cheerfulness
-Tourism

Whether or not the moratorium stands, the editors have certainly not wanted people to include statistical effects in their drafts for a few years.

Tamyo wrote:Pretext: Due to the recent outbreak of a novel influenza virus in (@@NATIONNAME@@)...

The "Pretext" is typically referred to as a description and standard custom is not to put brackets around @@VARIABLES@@.

Tamyo wrote:Your health minister, (@@RANDOMNAME@@) barges into your office demanding that you shut down absolutely everything, immediately, and until a suitable vaccine is developed.

"[A]bsolutely everything?" Which city is this happening in? If you're calling your issue "City On A Lockdown," your issue should be about a city, not about the entire nation ;P

Tamyo wrote:(Image)

As far as I know, images aren't allowed in issues, or at least I've never seen that happen before.

Tamyo wrote:“...your skater friend...”

Are you absolutely sure that @@LEADER@@ has friends of any description?

Tamyo wrote:“...They’ll see us as the next America!” Suggests (@@RANDOMNAME_MALE@@)

Firstly, "suggests" should not begin with a capital letter. Secondly, does "America" exist in the Issuesverse?

Tamyo wrote:“I’m (@@RANDOMNAME_FEMALE@@), from (@@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@)...”

The @@RANDOMNATIONNAME@@ macro does not exist.

Bruh.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 am

Giovanniland wrote:I am not 100% sure whether the moratorium on pandemic related issues still stands (would need confirmation from a more experienced member) but if it does, this issue won't probably be accepted for a while.

Yup. For clarity, I would like to refer you to what my colleague has said:

The Free Joy State wrote:No, we're still not accepting pandemic-related issues. There will most likely be a chain at some point in the future, but that will not be until things have returned to normality (no earlier than 2021, but possibly later).
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:27 am

Electrum wrote:
Giovanniland wrote:I am not 100% sure whether the moratorium on pandemic related issues still stands (would need confirmation from a more experienced member) but if it does, this issue won't probably be accepted for a while.

The Free Joy State wrote:No, we're still not accepting pandemic-related issues. There will most likely be a chain at some point in the future, but that will not be until things have returned to normality (no earlier than 2021, but possibly later).

Plenty of time for drafting for the author then. But then again this draft feels like a "dump and run", i.e. the author isn't going to come back to continue with the drafting...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:37 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Electrum wrote:

Plenty of time for drafting for the author then. But then again this draft feels like a "dump and run", i.e. the author isn't going to come back to continue with the drafting...

It wouldn't be accepted even if it was improved through drafting and submitted at a later date. If we do a pandemic chain, this would have too much overlap.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?