NATION

PASSWORD

Jazz Discussion thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Jazz Discussion thread

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Hello guys and gals, it's RFS coming at you with my first thread in A&F in months. Today I wanna talk about Jazz. One thing alot of people don't know about me is that I'm secretly a fan of the genre and have a long history of both listening to Jazz and playing it on trombone, trumpet and guitar. I took a jazz appreciation class for my first and last year of college and as such I've been exposed to hundreds of artists from 1920 to the modern day. What are your favorite jazz songs and artists NSers? I'll start us off with these 5 songs:

Bitches brew-Miles Davis: https://youtu.be/2AR93r-ASWI

Salt Peanuts-Dizzy Gillespie: https://youtu.be/TvIXzeDLpMw

Lester Leaps in-Count Basie: https://youtu.be/zXwXKUrRhPo

Chameleon-Herbie Hancock: https://youtu.be/UbkqE4fpvdI

Brazil-Antonio Carlos Jobim: https://youtu.be/V8goep7fVXk
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Abserdia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:17 pm

I really like jazz but I probably don’t listen to enough.
I’m a big fan of Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, you know, the usual suspects.

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Lush Life has always been a favorite of mine.
Last edited by Abserdia on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
I can't believe your song is gone so soon...
I barely learned the tune
So soon, so soon

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 am

Huh, we have remarkably similar tastes. Chameleon was one of my first jazz albums and I got to see Herbie and the group perform it live at a reunion at the Fillmore in San Francisco. One of the best shows I’ve ever been to. I’ve had the fortune to see a lot of people right before I couldn’t anymore including Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Tony Williams. All pretty great.

Another awesome show was a double header with Branford Marsalis and Sonny Rollins. I’ve met Branford, funnest part about that is him saying he remembered me. No he didn’t, we hadn’t met yet, but it was still cool. Also he fluffed off the Sony rep that wanted to talk about golf because he found out I was a music major (at the time) and wanted to talk about his rendition of the Three Penny Opera with a noted composer. The Sony rep was big mad, I didn’t get the good weed from him anymore.

Lester was my model in big band playing, I even bought a pork pie hat.

To add to the list and get a little freaky-

Shape of Jazz to Come by Ornette Coleman
And of course
Free Jazz double quartet with Ornette Coleman and Eric Dolphy

Out to Lunch Eric Dolphy

I can’t remember which Alice Coltrane album, I think her first one, really great. His kid isn’t bad either.

Bird of Fire Mahavishnu Orchestra

Some love to some modern shit, I tried and failed to get a friend into Uri Caine.

Sex Mob is really great, lots of free jazz infused takes on modern music. They do a album of Bond music with Medeski Martin and Wood that’s fantastic. Medeski Martin and Wood, also fun.

Charlie Hunter can be enjoyable.

I could go on for days.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:45 am

I've only really started seriously listening to jazz in the last few years. My favourite things so far are:

Monk and Mulligan Round Midnight

Jim Hall Concierto

Wes Montgomery A Day in the Life

Horace Silver Song for my Father
Everything is intertwinkled

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:54 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I've only really started seriously listening to jazz in the last few years. My favourite things so far are:

Monk and Mulligan Round Midnight

Jim Hall Concierto

Wes Montgomery A Day in the Life

Horace Silver Song for my Father

Let me introduce you to the phenomenon known as Jazz in 1959. Instead of looking up to jazz albums just look what came out in 1959. It will be a similar list.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Jazz is an area I've been meaning to expand on - particularly artists like Dave Brubeck, Herbert Hancock and Miles Davis that I've been meaning to give a listen.

So in the meantime, have some Dave Brubeck Quartet, and hopefully I'll find some more once I've finished reevaluating some more albums.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:57 pm

I dont usually listen to a lot of Jazz but its enjoyable. Jazz scat singing is good, ive listened to Scatman John a few times on youtube.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Nuroblav wrote:Jazz is an area I've been meaning to expand on - particularly artists like Dave Brubeck, Herbert Hancock and Miles Davis that I've been meaning to give a listen.

So in the meantime, have some Dave Brubeck Quartet, and hopefully I'll find some more once I've finished reevaluating some more albums.

Time Out...1959.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:16 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I dont usually listen to a lot of Jazz but its enjoyable. Jazz scat singing is good, ive listened to Scatman John a few times on youtube.

Check out Ella Fitzgerald

U S Eh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 11, 2019

Postby U S Eh » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Hello guys and gals, it's RFS coming at you with my first thread in A&F in months. Today I wanna talk about Jazz. One thing alot of people don't know about me is that I'm secretly a fan of the genre and have a long history of both listening to Jazz and playing it on trombone, trumpet and guitar. I took a jazz appreciation class for my first and last year of college and as such I've been exposed to hundreds of artists from 1920 to the modern day. What are your favorite jazz songs and artists NSers? I'll start us off with these 5 songs:

These 2 jazz pieces are my favorite:

Lee Ritenour - Dolphin Dreams
Hue and Cry - 'Round Midnight (cover)
The meaning of life is 42. ASCII says so.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:10 am

I forgot the wonderful Nina Simone.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 pm

U S Eh wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Hello guys and gals, it's RFS coming at you with my first thread in A&F in months. Today I wanna talk about Jazz. One thing alot of people don't know about me is that I'm secretly a fan of the genre and have a long history of both listening to Jazz and playing it on trombone, trumpet and guitar. I took a jazz appreciation class for my first and last year of college and as such I've been exposed to hundreds of artists from 1920 to the modern day. What are your favorite jazz songs and artists NSers? I'll start us off with these 5 songs:

These 2 jazz pieces are my favorite:

Lee Ritenour - Dolphin Dreams
Hue and Cry - 'Round Midnight (cover)

You don’t really have to say ‘cover’ when it comes to jazz. Most of the stuff becomes ‘standards’ and everyone does them. So many people have done Round Midnight I have to kind of try and remember which recording was first. Tons of people have recorded it...there was a great movie that used it as its theme and name...starred Dexter Gordon in a combination of Lester Young and Ben Webster’s lives. I think it’s on like one of the video sites because you can’t stream or rent it anywhere.

U S Eh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 11, 2019

Postby U S Eh » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:

You don’t really have to say ‘cover’ when it comes to jazz. Most of the stuff becomes ‘standards’ and everyone does them. So many people have done Round Midnight I have to kind of try and remember which recording was first. Tons of people have recorded it...there was a great movie that used it as its theme and name...starred Dexter Gordon in a combination of Lester Young and Ben Webster’s lives. I think it’s on like one of the video sites because you can’t stream or rent it anywhere.

Oh okay. Just wanted to be on the safe side.
Some people get triggered if you don't make it clear that something's a cover.

So yeah. Sorry about that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by U S Eh on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The meaning of life is 42. ASCII says so.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:39 pm

U S Eh wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You don’t really have to say ‘cover’ when it comes to jazz. Most of the stuff becomes ‘standards’ and everyone does them. So many people have done Round Midnight I have to kind of try and remember which recording was first. Tons of people have recorded it...there was a great movie that used it as its theme and name...starred Dexter Gordon in a combination of Lester Young and Ben Webster’s lives. I think it’s on like one of the video sites because you can’t stream or rent it anywhere.

Oh okay. Just wanted to be on the safe side.
Some people get triggered if you don't make it clear that something's a cover.

So yeah. Sorry about that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s not a big deal, it’s just more like saying “www” when giving a website, you don’t have to do it.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:01 am

I like the Stan Getz bossa nova record.

Bill Evans has the best album cover photos ever.

Miles Davis does nothing for me, I seem to be in a minority on that. I like Coltrane.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mustardaise
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mustardaise » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 am

Vrijmannen
Civilian

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vrijmannen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 am

My Political Sextant Results
Economic Left/Right: 3.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13
Right/Lib

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 pm

This might be the first time a jazz discussion has popped up on ns and someone has laid down some stuff I’ve never heard of. It’s a strange new feeling and I kind of like it. I’ll have to hit these up when I am in an appropriate space.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:38 am

Herbie Hancock's cover of Prince's Thieves in the Temple is barnstorming.

Dusendord
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dusendord » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:26 am

Love me some smooth nyc jazz
The Kingdom of Dusendord is a constitutional monarchy with a frighteningly efficient economy and high levels of human development. Dusendord follows the Nordic Model of governance.

Cereskia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cereskia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 am

There's one interesting jazz music, Don't Scare me, papa, or the Mysterious Axman's Jazz, i've heard it when i was watching buzzfeed unsolved
About my Nation:
Overview | History | Geography | Politics | Military |Economy | International

GCRs suck, Epluribus Unum is an Overzealous Americanist, Hitler is Shitler, aaaaąăåäãâáàă
sample text
Overamericanism in the forums!!

My Political Fantasy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby My Political Fantasy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 am

I like Funk Jazz a little bit too much...
A combination of the neutrality of Switzerland, the military capabilities of Israel, and the authoritarian governance of Russia.
I like to complain about bad governments are people halfway across the world, but I prefer that anyone except me deal with them.
The official themesong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction