NATION

PASSWORD

Are People Capable Of Goodness?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are people capable of goodness?

Yes, they can be perfectly good
18%
Yes, they can be good sometimes
71%
No, they can be evil sometimes
No votes
No, they are always evil
12%

Total votes : 17

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Are People Capable Of Goodness?

Postby Geneviev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:44 pm

The news right now seems pretty hopeless. It's easy to see it and assume that people are incapable of love for their fellow human beings, or compassion, or generosity. After all, there are so many people who act as if they don't care right now. But at the same time, there are positive news stories out there if you know where to look. Those stories make it seem like every single person can become a hero, and every single person is capable of acting out of love and compassion. I believe that people don't easily fit into either one of those categories, since we're just too complicated for that.

But the question I do want to ask is this: Are people capable of being entirely good in every situation? Or is the news (which doesn't explicitly try to make people look good) right about what human beings are capable of?

Personally, I believe that people are already good. That is why we have positive news stories about people who are willing to do the right thing. It is also the reason that positive news stories aren't acknowledged often in the news. Good people are so common that we don't consider it news when they do good. But, I don't think that we can become perfectly good, at least not in this world. Otherwise, we would have no news and no need for it. Everything would be too predictable and peaceful. So, essentially, I believe that people can become better but not perfect.
Last edited by Geneviev on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 pm

Yes.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:54 pm

It is inevitable that we usually have news about people doing the most horrible deeds that you can ever imagine, and usually/always, it disgusts you. So there was that. >,<

However, people are also capable of goodness one way or another. You will see that amidst all of these bad news, horrible riots, pandemics, and all that, comes people with the mere purpose of helping their friends, or family, or strangers out.

-----

On the political side, Israel, Sudan Agree to Normalize Ties in U.S.-Brokered Deal, whereby the accord ends decades of hostility as one of Africa’s largest countries joins a broader diplomatic realignment in the Middle East.

On the non-political side, This Texas farm connects special-needs kids with injured animals: ‘They’re just like me’, reinforcing kids with the idea that a disability is not an end-all to their life, or to make them feel bad about their disabilities.

-----

My personal favorite is this one! I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a fan of them. The fact that people have come together to open a sanctuary to take care of endangered animals, especially from animal circuses, to give them a new (and freer life), is something that warms my heart.

-----

There's a vending machine in that sells freshly made rice, and it was all an effort of one man! "[In] Awa-shi, Japan, you’ll find a rare vending machine selling tantalizing homemade meals. Even better? The vending machine owner, Tadashi Yoshimoto, grows the rice in every meal just down the road on his own farm. In a country that prides itself on the freshness of its food, Yoshimoto has set a new standard for readymade fare." The man travels back and forth just for this little piece of work that he is proud of.

-----

And with that, I wish you, a good day too! ♥
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Yes /thread
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Short answer: yes. Some people are capable of goodness.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Rwekazaland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rwekazaland » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:56 pm

YEs.
I am Rwekazaland. An very nice country that you can live in.

Participant in:
    International Basketball Championships 30
    World Baseball Classic 50
    WCoH XLI (41)
    Aussie Rules World Cup II.
    No Awards yet :(

Live Life.

Kelvaros Prime
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kelvaros Prime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Yes. Believe it or not, it's possible to be good.
The Prime Hegemony of Kelvaros Prime
Factbook [WIP] | Class H7

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Yes. Even through this time you could still contribute a little to society.
johnathan

Turelisa-
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:00 pm

As a Calvinist, I believe we are all capable of badness at some point in our lives, but not all of us are capable of goodness.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Valentine Z wrote:It is inevitable that we usually have news about people doing the most horrible deeds that you can ever imagine, and usually/always, it disgusts you. So there was that. >,<

However, people are also capable of goodness one way or another. You will see that amidst all of these bad news, horrible riots, pandemics, and all that, comes people with the mere purpose of helping their friends, or family, or strangers out.

-----

On the political side, Israel, Sudan Agree to Normalize Ties in U.S.-Brokered Deal, whereby the accord ends decades of hostility as one of Africa’s largest countries joins a broader diplomatic realignment in the Middle East.

On the non-political side, This Texas farm connects special-needs kids with injured animals: ‘They’re just like me’, reinforcing kids with the idea that a disability is not an end-all to their life, or to make them feel bad about their disabilities.

-----

My personal favorite is this one! I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a fan of them. The fact that people have come together to open a sanctuary to take care of endangered animals, especially from animal circuses, to give them a new (and freer life), is something that warms my heart.

-----

There's a vending machine in that sells freshly made rice, and it was all an effort of one man! "[In] Awa-shi, Japan, you’ll find a rare vending machine selling tantalizing homemade meals. Even better? The vending machine owner, Tadashi Yoshimoto, grows the rice in every meal just down the road on his own farm. In a country that prides itself on the freshness of its food, Yoshimoto has set a new standard for readymade fare." The man travels back and forth just for this little piece of work that he is proud of.

-----

And with that, I wish you, a good day too! ♥

Those are so nice and positive. Definitely. I did acknowledge the positive news stories in OP for a reason, I love seeing them. They are a good reason to have faith in human beings. But I'm just not sure that people can be completely good, even if they are mostly good.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Willtime
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Willtime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:06 pm

They CAN.
But they wont,at least not all of them will.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:Those are so nice and positive. Definitely. I did acknowledge the positive news stories in OP for a reason, I love seeing them. They are a good reason to have faith in human beings. But I'm just not sure that people can be completely good, even if they are mostly good.

Definitely a spectrum of good and bad. It's human for people to have some bad thoughts - not every good person may be good all the time, just like how every bad person may not be bad all the time.

It's more human for someone to admit that they have been bad or wrong in the past, and strive to do their best in the future, not just with words and promises, but with actions. :hug: Not that I am pointing fingers, mind you. Personally had fits of crazy at the worst of times myself, so... yeah!

A crowning moment of heartwarming and awesome, from everyone. ^^
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Definitely. Every year around harvest, there's a story about a bunch of farmers helping the family of a deceased farmer complete their harvest, like this one from this year.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Willtime wrote:They CAN.

Why not?

Valentine Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Those are so nice and positive. Definitely. I did acknowledge the positive news stories in OP for a reason, I love seeing them. They are a good reason to have faith in human beings. But I'm just not sure that people can be completely good, even if they are mostly good.

Definitely a spectrum of good and bad. It's human for people to have some bad thoughts - not every good person may be good all the time, just like how every bad person may not be bad all the time.

It's more human for someone to admit that they have been bad or wrong in the past, and strive to do their best in the future, not just with words and promises, but with actions. :hug: Not that I am pointing fingers, mind you. Personally had fits of crazy at the worst of times myself, so... yeah!

A crowning moment of heartwarming and awesome, from everyone. ^^

Yes, that's essentially how I see it. And with more forgiveness for past mistakes, and things like that, I think people will be more willing to change and become good.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 pm

I don't think anyone grows up wanting to be mean or unpopular, more often it's an issue of ego and projection that makes them do bad things even though they might not view it as a bad thing. Pretty sure if you asked Hitler 'are you a bad person' he'd be like, 'what? no..'
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm

The short answer is: Yes.

Everyone is capable of good or evil.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Some are. Most are just followers and when allowed to act like fucking animals, they often do.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Most human beings have the capacity for both goodness and badness (people are rarely an extreme of all bad, and I'd never trust a person who claims they were all good, as everyone has some negative traits).

So, the short answer is, yes. Most people are capable of goodness.

Bombadil wrote:I don't think anyone grows up wanting to be mean or unpopular, more often it's an issue of ego and projection that makes them do bad things even though they might not view it as a bad thing. Pretty sure if you asked Hitler 'are you a bad person' he'd be like, 'what? no..'

That's like the saying, "Everyone is the hero of their own story".

Generally, even the most heinous of people would truly think they are doing good things.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Yes, there are people capable of being good all the time, and more people capable of being good a lot of the time. That civilized society continues to function should be proof enough; crime, rioting and unrest are exceptions, not the rule.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

What I do and think is more good in my eyes, than the alternatives that too many people want to defend.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Willtime
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Willtime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Willtime wrote:They CAN.

Why not?

Too many people think they can get some thing from being bad.
To make thing worse,there surely some people who get some thing from beingg bad.
If there is precedent, someone will learn.

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 pm

I would want to say yes.

But when I go out in public, so many people are just horrible. It takes so much effort on their part to be that horrible. Literally doing nothing at all aside from going about the basic tasks at hand would render them just a hair on the good side of neutral. I think back on my life and I can only think of a handful of times when people were not expending a large amount of effort to be evil and cruel.

So are they capable? Yes.

Are they going to try? No.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 pm

The first house I lived in after leaving the family home was a sooty hovel on an inner-city main road.
It was a "share house" meaning all four bedrooms were full, each with a different man and his man-stuff.

So one day three of us were sitting in the kitchen, when one of the others got up and started making tea.
He didn't offer us any, which was unusual, but not unprecedented.
Maybe he was annoyed at someone leaving underpants in the bathroom, or some other share-house niggle.
Then he put four cups on a tray, a bowl of sugar, a cup of milk. Now we were wondering the fuck.

So Dave (that was his name) takes the tray with a pot of tea and stuff on it, out of the kitchen and out the front door.
He came back half an hour later, and explained it to me (the other denizen had gone back to his room).
There had been a car accident out the front. I hadn't paid any attention to it, but Dave had taken out some tea.

The people from the accident had gratefully accepted some tea while waiting for the cops to arrive.
People who've had a (not-so-minor) collision, left to themselves, often get into an argument.
But Dave was a martial artist, and looked like it, so together with cups of tea I guess he kept things from getting worse.

I was quite impressed. I might even do the same if something like that happens, even though my school of martial arts is No Kan Do.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:27 pm

People are a kind of Ape, and so struggle with consistency.

But people are also a kind of Ape, and so are highly-social empathic animals, with the capacity for enormous love and kindness.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:People are a kind of Ape, and so struggle with consistency.

But people are also a kind of Ape, and so are highly-social empathic animals, with the capacity for enormous love and kindness.

We are in fact apes. Our closest cousins are the Chimp and the Bonobo.

We can do good yet we tend to prefer bad. Don’t think you will find any other of the apes willing to screw others over for a percentage.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General