NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Am I the Senate?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] Am I the Senate?

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:46 pm

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Picked #560.1, must not have Autocracy policy

In a historically low candidacy turnout, only five people ran for five of the seats in the Lower House of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature. The Lower House has been the only house of the Legislature since the Upper House was abolished. Seeing that under @@DEMONYM@@ law the legislature needs more than five members to form, political theorists from all over @@NAME@@ have descended upon your office to inform you of how they think this crisis should be dealt with.

[Option] "There is an extremely simple solution to this problem," states famous sortitionist, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We should hold a lottery, with every @@DEMONYM@@ entered, and enough winners to allow for a functioning Lower House. That way, we will always have enough people to run the nation! While it will be expensive to keep track of every @@DEMONYM@@ in @@NAME@@, I think it's well worth the price of a real democracy. Don't you think so, @@LEADER@@?" @@HE@@ then slides a pamphlet titled Real Democracy: Sortition in Practice across your desk as @@HE@@ leaves.
[Effect] dementia patients and serial killers can serve together as legislators in @@NAME@@

[Option] "That is absurd!" yells famous General @@RANDOMNAME@@, now retired. "There is a much more civilized way to go about this than a lottery, @@LEADER@@. You should reinstate the Upper House." @@HE@@ starts fiddling with @@HIS@@ many medals, including the Order of the @@ANIMAL@@. "But instead of the Upper House being elected, you, @@LEADER@@, should appoint prominent members of the military and other fields to the House. That way, there will always be enough people to form a legislature in @@NAME@@, and they will be smart enough for the job as well! Now, maybe you could, uh, give me a seat in the Upper House?" @@HE@@ bows extravagantly to you on @@HIS@@ way out.
[Effect] scientists researching cures for critical diseases are dragged away from their work to run the nation
[Validity] Must have a military

[Option] "Now, now, let's not be hasty," interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the five elected legislators, as he pushes past the general. "So what if there were only five of us running, each for a different seat? All that means is that the people want, uh, a smaller government! Yes, a smaller government." @@HE@@ starts eyeing all of the fancy-looking things in your office. "There is no issue with the low candidacy turnout, it merely means that we are the only ones interested in leading @@NAME@@!" @@HE@@ then places 100 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ onto your desk. "I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement, provided you enable our small, humble legislature to form officially," @@HE@@ says while quickly exiting your office.
[Effect] it is now common for the Speaker of the Lower House to also be its only member

[Option] "Why don't you just forgo elections and do it yourself?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, seriously, if they can't be bothered to rule themselves, that shows that they shouldn't have that privilege! Without all of this political posturing, you could get so much more done!" He stops and looks around the room, admiring all of your stuff. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@NAME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.
[Effect] the average amount of proxy bank accounts owned by a @@DEMONYM@@ is 20

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Description] In a historically low candidacy turnout, only five people ran for five seats of the Lower House of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature. The Lower House has been the only house of the Legislature since the Upper House was abolished. Seeing that under @@DEMONYM@@ law the legislature needs more than five members to form, political theorists from all over @@NAME@@ have descended upon your office to inform you of how they think this crisis should be dealt with.

[Option] "There is a quite simple solution to this problem" states famous sortitionist, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We should hold a lottery, with every @@DEMONYM@@ entered, and enough winners to allow for a functioning Lower House. That way, we will always have enough people to run the nation! While it will be expensive to keep track of every @@DEMONYM@@ in @@NAME@@, I think it's well worth the price of a functioning democracy. Don't you think so, @@LEADER@@?" @@HE@@ then slides a pamphlet titled Real Democracy: Sortition in Practice across your desk as @@HE@@ leaves.
[Effect] even dementia patients can be legislators in @@NAME@@

[Option] "That is absurd!" yells famous General @@RANDOMNAME@@, now retired. "There is a much more civilized way to go about this than a lottery, @@LEADER@@. That way is the reinstatement of the Upper House." @@HE@@ starts fiddling with @@HIS@@ many medals, including the Order of the @@ANIMAL@@. "But instead of the Upper House being elected, you, @@LEADER@@, should appoint prominent members of the military and other fields to the House. That way, there will always be enough people to form a legislature in @@NAME@@, and they will be smart enough for the job as well! Now, maybe you could, uh, give me a seat in the Upper House?" @@HE@@ bows extravagantly to you on @@HIS@@ way out.
[Effect] scientists researching cures for critical diseases are dragged away from their work to run the nation

[Option] "Now, now, let's not be hasty," interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the five "elected" legislators, as he pushes past the general. "So what if there were only five of us running, each for a different seat? All that means is that the people want, uh, a smaller government! Yes, a smaller government." @@HE@@ starts eyeing all of the fancy-looking things in your office. "There is no issue with the low candidacy turnout, it merely means that we are the only ones interested in leading @@NAME@@!" @@HE@@ then places 100 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ onto your desk. "I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement, provided you enable our small, humble legislature to form officially." @@HE@@ says, while quickly exiting your office.
[Effect] in @@NAME@@ it is now common for the Speaker of the Lower House to also be its only member

[Option] "Why don't you just forgo elections and just do it yourself?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, seriously, if they can't be bothered to rule themselves, that just shows that they shouldn't have that privilege! Without all of this political posturing, you could also get so much more done!" He stops and looks around the room, admiring all of your stuff. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@NAME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.
[Effect] the average amount of proxy bank accounts owned by a @@DEMONYM@@ is around 20

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Description] In a historically low candidacy turnout, only five people ran for five seats of the Lower House of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature. The Lower House has been the only house of the Legislature since the Upper House was abolished. Seeing that under @@DEMONYM@@ law the legislature needs more than five members to form, political theorists from all over @@NAME@@ have descended upon your office to inform you of how they think this crisis should be dealt with.

[Option] "There is a quite simple solution to this problem" states famous sortitionist, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We should hold a lottery, with every @@DEMONYM@@ entered, and enough winners to allow for a functioning Lower House. That way, we will always have enough people to run the nation! While it will be expensive to keep track of every @@DEMONYM@@ in @@NAME@@, I think it's well worth the price of a functioning democracy. Don't you think so, @@LEADER@@?" @@HE@@ then slides a pamphlet titled Real Democracy: Sortition in Practice across your desk as @@HE@@ leaves.
[Effect] Legalese is now taught as a language to prepare @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in case they are selected for office

[Option] "That is absurd!" yells famous General @@RANDOMNAME@@, now retired. "There is a much more civilized way to go about this than a lottery, @@LEADER@@. That way is the reinstatement the Upper House." @@HE@@ starts fiddling with @@HIS@@ many medals, including the Order of the @@ANIMAL@@. "But instead of the Upper House being elected, you, @@LEADER@@, should appoint prominent members of the military and other fields to the House. That way, there will always be enough people to form a legislature in @@NAME@@, and they will be smart enough for the job as well! Now, maybe you could, uh, give me a seat in the Upper House?" @@HE@@ bows extravagantly to you on @@HIS@@ way out.

[Option] "Now, now, let's not be hasty," interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the five "elected" legislators, as he pushes past the general. "So what if there were only five of us running, each for a different seat? All that means is that the people want, uh, a smaller government! Yes, a smaller government." @@HE@@ starts eyeing all of the fancy-looking things in your office. "There is no issue with the low candidacy turnout, it merely means that we are the only ones interested in leading @@NAME@@!" @@HE@@ then places 100 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ onto your desk. "I'm sure we can come to some sort of 'arrangement, provided you enable our small, humble legislature to form officially." @@HE@@ says, while quickly exiting your office.
[Effect] in @@NAME@@ it is now common for the Speaker of the Lower House to also be its only member

[Option] "Why don't you just forgo elections and just do it yourself?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, seriously, if they can't be bothered to rule themselves, that just shows that they shouldn't have that privilege! Without all of this political posturing, you could also get so much more done!" He stops and looks around the room, admiring all of your stuff. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@NAME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.
[Effect] the average amount of proxy bank accounts owned by a @@DEMONYM@@ is around 20

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Picked #560.1, must not have Autocracy policy, must have Paper Money policy

[Description] In a historically low candidacy turnout, only five people ran for five seats of the Lower House of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Legislature. The Lower House has been the only house of the Legislature since the Upper House was abolished. Seeing that under @@DEMONYM@@ law the legislature must have at least fifty individuals to form, political theorists from all over @@NAME@@ have descended upon your office to inform you of how they think this crisis should be dealt with.

[Effect] Legalese is now taught as a language to prepare @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in case they are selected for office

[Option] "That is absurd!" yells famous General @@RANDOMNAME@@, now retired. "Under that joker's system, a frothing madman could become a member of the government! We need to be careful about who we choose to lead @@NAME@@. @@HE@@ bangs @@HIS@@ fist on your table. "We should reinstate the Upper House. But instead of it being elected, you, @@LEADER@@, should appoint prominent members of the military and other fields to the House. That way, we can make sure only the most gifted @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ can participate in government, which will ensure our security. Of course, the Lower House will still exist, but the Upper House will be able to defeat any bills passed by that House." @@HE@@ bows to you on his way out.

[spoiler=Potential Option, but not sure. I will write the other Options as if it is being used.][Option] "I don't see why it needs to be an either-or decision," interjects your Minister of Excessive Compromises, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while he compromises between the wall and the departing general by getting out of the way. "How about, instead of reinstating the Upper House, you, @@LEADER@@, must approve all laws passed by the Lower House before they can become law? Also, you would have to repeal the law that mandates the size of the legislature must be more than fifty. That way, the will of the people gets heard, but there is a check on the Lower House, preventing them from doing anything stupid!" @@HE@@ then leaves, taking the stairs halfway down then hopping into the elevator.
[Effect] members of the Lower House are constantly fighting to be deemed "@@LEADER@@'s Favorite Legislator"

[Option] "Now, now, let's not be hasty," interjects, @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of the five "elected" legislators, as he pushes past the minister. "So what if there were only five of us running, each for a different seat? All that means is that the people want, uh, a smaller government! Yes, a smaller government." @@HE@@ starts eyeing all of the fancy-looking things in your office. "Now, if you could just, uh, repeal that law limiting the size of the legislature, we could start to get some laws passed." @@HE@@ then takes a stack of 100 @@CURRENCY@@ bills out of his pocket and slides it across your desk. "I'm sure we can come to some sort of 'arrangement'" @@HE@@ says, while quickly exiting your office.

[Option] "Why don't you just forgo elections and just do it yourself?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, what have those so-called "legislators" actually done to help @@NAME@@? All they do is argue. Eliminate them, and ruling @@NAME@@ will be much easier! I'll help you get started." He grabs an important update from off of your desk and rips it to shreds. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@NAME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.
[Effect] the average amount of bank accounts owned by a @@DEMONYM@@ is around 20

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Picked #560.1

[Description] During a recent election, the Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, was narrowly taken under the control of the minority party. After forcing multiple laws on their agenda through the house, members of your party have called for the reinstatement of the Upper House, to end this, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To ensure that our party remains in control-- I mean, to keep the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a San Vitenzan cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with members of our party- I mean filled with educated people, to keep the other parties from taking control- I mean, to place a check on the Lower House." With his face red, he then turns to leave and uses your favorite vase as an ashtray.
[Effect] political strategy has become irrelevant as @@LEADER@@ modifies the government to stay in power

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, and leader of the minority party, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. If they elected us, it means they want us to make the law for them! It also means that they want a new party in control- no offense, @@LEADER@@." @@HE@@ starts fingering a golden ring on his finger that appeared suddenly. "And we don't want some stodgy old elitists stifling my agenda- I mean our democratic process, anyway. Right?" On @@HIS@@ way out, you could have sworn you saw @@HIM@@ swipe your favorite watch off of a bureau in your office.
[Effect] the "will of the people" is used to justify any questionable action of the Lower House

[Option] "I don't see why it needs to be an either-or decision," interjects your Minister of Excessive Compromises, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while he compromises between a pen or a pencil by choosing an erasable pen. "How about, instead of reinstating the Upper House, you, @@LEADER@@, must approve all laws passed by the Lower House before they can become law? That way, the will of the people gets heard, but there is a check on the Lower House!" @@HE@@ then leaves, taking the stairs halfway down then hopping into the elevator.
[Effect] members of the Lower House are constantly fighting to be deemed "@@LEADER@@'s Favorite Legislator"

[Option] "Why don't you just go the full mile and take over the place?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, what have those so-called "legislators" actually done to help @@NAME@@? All they do is argue. Eliminate them, and ruling @@NAME@@ will be much easier! I'll help you get started." He grabs an important update from off of your desk and rips it to shreds. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@N
AME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.
[Effect] the average amount of bank accounts owned by a @@DEMONYM@@ is around 20

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Picked #560.1

[Description] During a recent election, the Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, was narrowly taken under the control of one of the nation's political parties. After forcing multiple laws on their agenda through the house, residents of @@CAPITAL@@ filed a petition for the reinstatement of the Upper House, to end this, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To keep the rabble-- I mean, the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a San Vitenzan cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with educated men- I mean people, educated people, to prevent them from essentially turning @@NAME@@ into a dictatorship! We need a check on the people." With his face red, he then turns to leave and uses your favorite vase as an ashtray.
[Effect] reactionaries are for once happy as the good ol’ days come back

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, and leader of the controlling political party, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. If they elected us, it means they want us to make the law for them!" @@HE@@ starts fingering a golden ring on his finger that appeared suddenly. "And we don't want some stodgy old elitists stifling my agenda- I mean our democratic process, anyway. Right?" On @@HIS@@ way out, you could have sworn you saw @@HIM@@ swipe your favorite watch off of a bureau in your office.
[Effect] the "will of the people" is used to justify any questionable action of the Lower House

[Option] "I don't see why it needs to be an either-or decision," interjects your Minister of Excessive Compromises, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while he compromises between a pen or a pencil by choosing an erasable pen. "How about, instead of reinstating the Upper House, you, @@LEADER@@, must approve all laws passed by the Lower House before they can become law? That way, the will of the people gets heard, but there is a check on the Lower House!" @@HE@@ then leaves, taking the stairs halfway down then hopping into the elevator.

[Option] "Why don't you just go the full mile and take over the place?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right? I mean, what have those so-called "legislators" actually done to help @@NAME@@? All they do is argue. Eliminate them, and ruling @@NAME@@ will be much easier! I'll help you get started." He grabs an important update from off of your desk and rips it to shreds. "And maybe if you have the time while doing an amazing job of ruling @@NAME@@, you could give me some money?" He then sits in an armchair and starts to read a book called Embezzlement for Idiots.

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Must have answered Issue #560, and abolished the Upper House (don't know if that is a valid validity requirement)

[Description] The Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, was recently taken under the control of a single political party. After forcing multiple laws on their agenda through the house, residents of @@CAPITAL@@ filed a petition for the reinstatement of the Upper House, to end this, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To keep the rabble-- I mean, the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a San Vitenzan cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with educated men- I mean people, educated people, to prevent them from essentially turning @@NAME@@ into a dictatorship! We need a check on the people." His face red, he then turns to leave and uses your favorite vase as an ashtray.
[Effect] An uptick in the purchase of monocles and vintage wooden canes has occurred.

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, leader of the controlling political party, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. If they elected us, it means they want us to make the law for them!" @@HE@@ starts fingering a golden ring on his finger that appeared suddenly. "And we don't want some stodgy old elitists stifling my agenda- I mean our democratic process, anyway. Right?" On @@HIS@@ way out, you could have sworn you saw @@HIM@@ swipe your favorite watch off of a bureau in your office.
[Effect] Elections are commonly referred to as the "Battle of the Parties".

[Effect] Members of the Lower House are constantly fighting to be deemed "@@LEADER@@'s Favorite Legislator".

[Option] "Why don't you just go the full mile and take over the place?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely, you can run @@NAME@@ without these bumbling idiots! And maybe give me a generous pension too?" Security guards promptly appear to escort your brother out.
[Effect] Rumor has it that @@LEADER@@'s family suddenly came into great wealth.

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Must have answered Issue #560, and abolished the Upper House (don't know if that is a valid validity requirement)

[Description] The Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, was recently taken under the control of a single political party. After forcing multiple laws on their agenda through the house, residents of @@CAPITAL@@ filed a petition for the reinstatement of the Upper House, to end this, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To keep the rabble-- I mean, the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a San Vitenzan cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with educated men- I mean people, educated people, to prevent them from essentially turning @@NAME@@ into a dictatorship! We need a check on the people." His face red, he then turns to leave and uses your favorite vase as an ashtray.
[Effect] An uptick in the purchase of monocles and vintage wooden canes has occurred.

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, leader of the controlling political party, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. If they elected us, it means they want us to make the law for them!" @@HE@@ starts fingering a golden ring on his finger that appeared suddenly. "And we don't want some stodgy old elitists stifling my agenda- I mean our democratic process, anyway. Right?" On @@HIS@@ way out, you could have sworn you saw @@HIM@@ swipe your favorite watch off of a bureau in your office.
[Effect] Elections are commonly referred to as the "Battle of the Parties".

[Effect] Members of the Lower House are constantly fighting to be deemed "@@LEADER@@'s Favorite Legislator".

[Option] "Why don't you just go the full mile and take over the place?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely, wise brother, you can run @@NAME@@ without these bumbling idiots! And maybe give me a generous pension too?" Security guards promptly appear to escort your brother out.
[Effect] Rumor has it that @@LEADER@@'s family suddenly came into great wealth.

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Validity] Must have answered Issue #560, and abolished the Upper House (don't know if that is a valid validity requirement), must not have Prohibition

[Description] After the Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, passed a law decreeing that every Saturday, every @@DEMONYM@@ must do a handstand for 5 minutes on the sidewalk, residents of @@CAPITAL@@ filed a petition for the reinstatement of the Upper House, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To keep the rabble-- I mean, the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a San Vitenzan cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with educated men- I mean people, educated people, to prevent the rabble from making me do this!" He then proceeds to attempt a handstand in your office, but fails, knocking over your favorite vase.

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, and fervent drinker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. Yes, this law may seem a bit silly, but it is the will of the people! Surely that counts for something, right?" @@HE@@ then pulls out a beer bottle and starts chugging on his way out.
[Effect] You can't make a joke in @@NAME@@ anymore without it being brought to the Lower House

[Option] "Why don't you just go the full mile and take over the place?" your brother asks, whispering right into your ear. "Surely, wise brother, you can run @@NAME@@ without these bumbling idiots! And maybe give me a generous pension too?" Security guards promptly appear to escort your brother out.
[Effect] Rumor has it that @@LEADER@@'s family suddenly came into great wealth, just as the treasury started to empty.

[Title] Am I the Senate?

[Description] After the Lower House, which coincidentally is the only house, of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Assembly, passed a law decreeing that every Saturday, every @@DEMONYM@@ must do a handstand for 5 minutes on the sidewalk, residents of @@CAPITAL@@ filed a petition for the reinstatement of the Upper House, which has arrived on your desk.

[Option] "@@LEADER@@, I have always maintained that we need the Upper House precisely for this purpose. To keep the rabble-- I mean, the Lower House in check." maintains Boris McConnell, while smoking a Cuban cigar. "We need the Upper House, filled with educated men- I mean people, educated people, to prevent the rabble from making me do this!" He then proceeds to attempt a handstand in your office, but fails, knocking over your favorite vase.

[Option] "The reason we got rid of the Upper House was so the people could better express their will!" exclaims member of the Lower House, and fervent drinker @@RANDOMNAME@@. "There are currently @@POPULATION@@ @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ living in our fair nation. Yes, this law may seem a bit silly, but it is the will of the people! Surely that counts for something, right?" @@HE@@ then pulls out a beer bottle and starts chugging on his way out.
[Effect] You can't make a joke in @@NAME@@ anymore without it being brought to the Lower House

[Effect] Rumor has it that @@LEADER@@'s family suddenly came into great wealth, just as the treasury started to empty.
Last edited by Wille-Harlia on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 am, edited 15 times in total.
Posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.
Minister to the World Assembly: John J. Hill

Government Positions:
Former Senior Senator for Himes West, 10000 Islands (RP Moderator)
Minister of Labor, 10000 Islands
Registrar-General & Chief of Staff to the Founder, 10000 Islands

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:55 pm

The beer fella wouldn’t be valid for nations with prohibition. Also, mentioning Cuba is weird cause they don’t exactly exist in NS issues Canon (yet).
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:The beer fella wouldn’t be valid for nations with prohibition. Also, mentioning Cuba is weird cause they don’t exactly exist in NS issues Canon (yet).

San Vitenzan cigar, perhaps, given the new issue chain.
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 am

Paffnia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:The beer fella wouldn’t be valid for nations with prohibition. Also, mentioning Cuba is weird cause they don’t exactly exist in NS issues Canon (yet).

San Vitenzan cigar, perhaps, given the new issue chain.

Both edits made!
My posts are not the views of any NS region, organization, or other group unless marked as such.

Government Positions:

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:03 am

I feel the premise lacks verisimilitude, that is, I just can't buy into it. I don't think having a silly law get passed justifies a discussion about reinstating the upper house. I don't think having a second chamber would guarantee silly laws aren't passed either.

I mean, I'm no law expert, but I know just from youtube compilations that there's plenty of archaic, silly, and downright mind-boggling laws passed by the US Congress, and by pretty much every state in USA, most of which have bicameral legislatures.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Candensia wrote:I feel the premise lacks verisimilitude, that is, I just can't buy into it. I don't think having a silly law get passed justifies a discussion about reinstating the upper house. I don't think having a second chamber would guarantee silly laws aren't passed either.

I mean, I'm no law expert, but I know just from youtube compilations that there's plenty of archaic, silly, and downright mind-boggling laws passed by the US Congress, and by pretty much every state in USA, most of which have bicameral legislatures.

Changed the description, and the first two options to reflect this.

Government Positions:

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I think "Surely, wise brother" implies that the leader is male.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Dominioan wrote:I think "Surely, wise brother" implies that the leader is male.

Good catch! Fixed.

Government Positions:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:46 am

Considering we usually assume @@LEADER@@ is very popular (unsurprisingly, since the Leader can’t lose an election), it seems odd for @@LEADER@@ to think one-party rule is bad. I also don’t think we need another dictatorship option. There are dozens of those.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:01 am

For your initial question, you could simplify the requirements to ‘picked #560.1’ Also, effect lines start with lowercase letters, and don’t have punctuation.

Option 1: His face red? I think ‘With his face red,’ may work better. Also, why uptick, instead of increase? It’s also super unnatural sounding. ‘This event has occurred.’ Beep boop. Rephrase it to maybe ‘reactionaries are for once happy as the good ol’ days come back’, so it’s not too boring.

Option 2, there’s two descriptors, but no conjunction between. They also sort of clash. It’s like calling saying ‘says Elizabeth II, queen of England, Captain Britain enthusiast.’ Why would the latter be necessary, or in this case, the former?

The effect line doesn’t make much sense either. If one party controls the singular house, how would there be a real battle? With two dominant parties that makes more sense, but not one.

I don’t have many issues with Option 3. It could be worded better, but eh. Nothing terrible.

Option 4, sentence 2 has an unnecessary comma after surely. It should also probably be ‘Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right?’ because it feels more natural than an exclamation mark. Then the next two sentences also read pretty weirdly. It’s just so harsh. No transitioning, or something. The effect line is also weird. Why the ‘Rumor has it’ bit? It’s also not really a joke. Make it more about corruption than something a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ high school student would write as an effect of @@NAME@@ becoming a dictatorship in their history homework. It’s just monotone.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Minskiev wrote:For your initial question, you could simplify the requirements to ‘picked #560.1’ Also, effect lines start with lowercase letters, and don’t have punctuation.

Option 1: His face red? I think ‘With his face red,’ may work better. Also, why uptick, instead of increase? It’s also super unnatural sounding. ‘This event has occurred.’ Beep boop. Rephrase it to maybe ‘reactionaries are for once happy as the good ol’ days come back’, so it’s not too boring.

Option 2, there’s two descriptors, but no conjunction between. They also sort of clash. It’s like calling saying ‘says Elizabeth II, queen of England, Captain Britain enthusiast.’ Why would the latter be necessary, or in this case, the former?

The effect line doesn’t make much sense either. If one party controls the singular house, how would there be a real battle? With two dominant parties that makes more sense, but not one.

I don’t have many issues with Option 3. It could be worded better, but eh. Nothing terrible.

Option 4, sentence 2 has an unnecessary comma after surely. It should also probably be ‘Surely you can run @@NAME@@ without all these bumbling idiots, right?’ because it feels more natural than an exclamation mark. Then the next two sentences also read pretty weirdly. It’s just so harsh. No transitioning, or something. The effect line is also weird. Why the ‘Rumor has it’ bit? It’s also not really a joke. Make it more about corruption than something a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ high school student would write as an effect of @@NAME@@ becoming a dictatorship in their history homework. It’s just monotone.

Done!
Fauxia wrote:Considering we usually assume @@LEADER@@ is very popular (unsurprisingly, since the Leader can’t lose an election), it seems odd for @@LEADER@@ to think one-party rule is bad. I also don’t think we need another dictatorship option. There are dozens of those.

Not sure what you mean?

Government Positions:

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Let me rephrase. It's typically assumed that @@LEADER@@ is a member of the majority party (which makes sense if you think about it since they can always pass their agendas). My point is, I don't find the setup very enticing.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Fauxia wrote:Let me rephrase. It's typically assumed that @@LEADER@@ is a member of the majority party (which makes sense if you think about it since they can always pass their agendas). My point is, I don't find the setup very enticing.

I get what you mean, you don't understand how this effects you, the Leader. Edited accordingly.

Government Positions:

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:24 am

Guess I'm posting this twice today.

If a nation decides to abolish the upper house, this sort of risk (party control of the legislature) is a *really* obvious drawback.

I don't think this drawback is something only conceivable *after* the upper house is abolished. Therefore I don't think the premise serves as adequate justification for a debate over reversing upper house abolition.

It just seems to much like "Hey, you already abolished the upper house, but are you really sure you want to abolish the upper house, even though you already abolished it?”
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Hellfire Base
Civilian

Founded: Oct 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hellfire Base » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:26 am

I don't know, are you the senate?

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Working on a new draft for this considering Candensia's feedback
EDIT: New Draft is up!
Last edited by Wille-Harlia on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Bump.

Government Positions:

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Your new premise is interesting, and probably won't work for one big reason external to the traditional No Senate problems: Who's to say that my country has <x> number of seats in the Lower House?

It's possible to write around this but you'll need to get a lot more general. Saying "only 5 people turned up" is probably fine - it's a safe assumption that there's more than 5 elected members in a full parliament - but 50 total needs to go. Low candidacy would be a problem whether you do or don't have the Upper House, so there's the potential to use Drasnia's idea (here - and don't worry, he's fine with borrowing ideas) of writing a general "this is a problem with the legislature" issue and then having one option present reinstating the Upper House as a solution.

You're already almost doing that already, but not all of your options really adequately address the original dilemma of low candidacy. From option 2 onwards, the speakers all kinda reply to the one before them, without addressing the original problem. For instance, Option 2 mentions nothing about how having an autocratic upper house will solve low candidacy, it only rebuts the previous speaker and says "no, sortition bad".

By moving the 560.1 validity to options designed to reverse that decision (Option 2, Option 3), removing references to that decision from other options, and ensuring that every option presents some form of solution to the original problem, you'll end up with a better issue overall.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:01 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Your new premise is interesting, and probably won't work for one big reason external to the traditional No Senate problems: Who's to say that my country has <x> number of seats in the Lower House?

It's possible to write around this but you'll need to get a lot more general. Saying "only 5 people turned up" is probably fine - it's a safe assumption that there's more than 5 elected members in a full parliament - but 50 total needs to go. Low candidacy would be a problem whether you do or don't have the Upper House, so there's the potential to use Drasnia's idea (here - and don't worry, he's fine with borrowing ideas) of writing a general "this is a problem with the legislature" issue and then having one option present reinstating the Upper House as a solution.

You're already almost doing that already, but not all of your options really adequately address the original dilemma of low candidacy. From option 2 onwards, the speakers all kinda reply to the one before them, without addressing the original problem. For instance, Option 2 mentions nothing about how having an autocratic upper house will solve low candidacy, it only rebuts the previous speaker and says "no, sortition bad".

By moving the 560.1 validity to options designed to reverse that decision (Option 2, Option 3), removing references to that decision from other options, and ensuring that every option presents some form of solution to the original problem, you'll end up with a better issue overall.

Got it, will edit later.

Government Positions:

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Edited!

Government Positions:

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 am

The paper money validity is really not necessary. You can toggle the option that uses paper money as a prop for nations that do and don’t have paper money.

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:15 pm

Fauxia wrote:The paper money validity is really not necessary. You can toggle the option that uses paper money as a prop for nations that do and don’t have paper money.

Done!

Government Positions:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:45 am

Option 1's effect isn't fun. It should be something along the lines of how dimentia patients are politicians or something like that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Wille-Harlia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wille-Harlia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1's effect isn't fun. It should be something along the lines of how dimentia patients are politicians or something like that

Done!

Government Positions:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?