NATION

PASSWORD

Issue 936

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Illumina Interminatus
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Issue 936

Postby Illumina Interminatus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:02 am

Why doesn't option 4 in issue 936 decrease political freedom? I think it should

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm

Illumina Interminatus wrote:Why doesn't option 4 in issue 936 decrease political freedom? I think it should

Firstly, welcome to Got Issues?.

In future, please ask all questions about the effects of issues on the Unusual Effects Thread. I would always suggest you read the OP first, as many questions are answered there.

Before you proceed further in the game, it's important to understand that all freedoms in NationStates are based on one metric: freedom from government control. This means that some freedoms are not merely positive.

As for the issue in question, this option explicitly doesn't say that Blackacre did -- or did not -- help rig the elections; the effect is merely about boosting trade (so no change in political freedom is appropriate). That said, the option did provide an appropriate rise on corruption from 0.94 to 1.31 (so the impact of potential Blackacrean interference on the election is acknowledged).

EDIT: If you have not done so yet, I would suggest that you take the time to go to your Settings and turn on "Show More Stats", so you can see the raw numbers, and not just the percentages. These will give you a more complete picture of your effects, going forward.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Return to Got Issues?