NATION

PASSWORD

GET/POST Requests N Day

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

GET/POST Requests N Day

Postby Chingis » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:14 am

It's no big secret that buttons are just a fancy UI for sending forms to the NS server, which is why often when using scripts I will forego the button-pressing entirely in favour of the post being sent itself (obviously within NS script regulations). However, I do make an exemption for N Days because I believe it was mentioned at some point that we shouldn't be doing anything that could potentially bypass reCaptcha (and therefore I exclusively stick to pressing buttons onsite, whether through keybinds or through clicks).

However, looking back on this decision, it would indeed be nice to have an official documented ruling on whether we are allowed to use GET/POST requests on the site directly during N Day e.g. to launch a nuke by POSTing a form or using a GET url, and how that would affect the need/ability to answer captchas.
Last edited by Chingis on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Seconding this. The system I built had buttons to speed up logins and a few other passive things, but I refrained from including anything that could target/shield/launch/etc, under the assumption that the captchas meant players had to take actions through the vanilla site.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Return to Technical