NATION

PASSWORD

Re: Small Town Respect

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Pay the Respect Tax?

Yes
19
54%
No
16
46%
 
Total votes : 35

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Re: Small Town Respect

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Please consider this hypothetical:

You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

In the town, everyone knows each other and quite frankly, most of the town consists of highly unlikable, narrow-minded and judgmental individuals.

However, you’re not in a position to move to another town. You’re stuck with these people.

You regularly witness the town turn on each other and bash outsiders and non-conformists.

Now as a hunter, you command moderate levels of respect, however, you get the squinty eyes too and sometimes get treated badly.

However, you can pay to increase your respect levels.

If you pay 1/10th of your hard earned salary to the main tavern once every week, then somehow magically 100 percent of the town will suddenly mindlessly, genuinely, and slavishly worship you. They will think you’re the Best. Your painting will be hung on the walls of all main gathering places, you will get free drinks all the time, and everyone will swoon over you. Whenever you walk into an area, you can ask or prompt and everyone will start singing (and somehow they all know how to) refrains praising your manliness, skill as a hunter, and ability to spit accurately. They will build a throne made of antlers, The Chair for you.

So here are your choices:

1. Live and work in the town with these unpleasant characters with moderate respect, sometimes getting screwed over

Or

2. Pay an informal tax for Respect

Please assume that if you pay the tax, the magic works flawlessly.

Assuming I can’t move, then I’d pay the tax. It makes life that much easier. So why not?
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Heloin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14492
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

I become a pirate on the local river. Once I establish myself I sail downstream to a better town.

Infected Mushroom wrote:You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

Then why is it even in France? We could be in Shropshire for all it matters.
I hope you meet the rabbit with the feather in her hat, the penny whistle girl with the orange colored cap.
Bells on her coat and a raggle taggle kind of grin, she'll teach you how to love if you believe in her


Free All Of Africa From Hate
Proudly Zimbabwean | Art Thread | Stand With Hong Kong | One Big Union | Zurk 2020 | Nobel Prize Winner

User avatar
Sanghyeok
Diplomat
 
Posts: 715
Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Sanghyeok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm

I would probably pay the tax as well, I agree with your argument
我が祖国は、革命の赤旗を守る!世界の労働者万歳 統一戦線万歳 どんな時も その眩しさ 覚えていた
National News: Azur Deutschland Leaders Julienne and Sylvia warmly welcomed by Chairwoman Oomiya in visit, thaw in relations expected. The two nations have had tense relations over ideology, but "Pudding, Tea and Cosplay Diplomacy" of leaders appears to be working- the second day of the tea-meeting has begun.

Chairwoman Oomiya News: Chairwoman Oomiya currently hosting tea meeting, cosplay and doll party with Azur Deutschland Leaders Julienne and Sylvia at Chairwoman's Residence in Chu'o Tokai, Ministry of Foreign Affairs hopeful for breakthrough in diplomacy

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Heloin wrote:I become a pirate on the local river. Once I establish myself I sail downstream to a better town.

Infected Mushroom wrote:You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

Then why is it even in France? We could be in Shropshire for all it matters.


It’s in France because the hypothetical is a reference to something. Let’s see who figures it out first :)
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Minister
 
Posts: 2935
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Yeah? Well I live in a town where few people respect anyone, and the only tax that'll change that in appearance is becoming independently wealthy.
The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you.

User avatar
Heloin
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14492
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:I become a pirate on the local river. Once I establish myself I sail downstream to a better town.


Then why is it even in France? We could be in Shropshire for all it matters.


It’s in France because the hypothetical is a reference to something. Let’s see who figures it out first :)

I leave the French town and become a pirate in Shropshire.
I hope you meet the rabbit with the feather in her hat, the penny whistle girl with the orange colored cap.
Bells on her coat and a raggle taggle kind of grin, she'll teach you how to love if you believe in her


Free All Of Africa From Hate
Proudly Zimbabwean | Art Thread | Stand With Hong Kong | One Big Union | Zurk 2020 | Nobel Prize Winner

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Yeah? Well I live in a town where few people respect anyone, and the only tax that'll change that in appearance is becoming independently wealthy.


Well think of it this way... many people already do this in a way (pay some money to earn Respect) just not as literally as in the hypothetical.

I mean that’s the appeal of luxury goods, branding, etc. Money has always been more than just about survival and pleasure.

There’s an element of “hey look at what I can buy.”

I mean i guess the calculation is, is it more than 1/10th of all the money? And can one settle for a less effective variant?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106616
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm

10 points and I get a chair made of antlers and free booze???

It's like a dream come true.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106616
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
It’s in France because the hypothetical is a reference to something. Let’s see who figures it out first :)

I leave the French town and become a pirate in Shropshire.

all because you do not use antlers in your interior decorating?
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Ethel understands (nods)
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24060
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 pm

I conspire with the mayor to lower taxes massively, creating inflation and ruining the value of the town’s currency.
Spanish -AmericanAtheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Eppur si muove.


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27179
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Gaston was loved before the tavern scene, though.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Valrifell wrote:Gaston was loved before the tavern scene, though.


True.

I’m running off an extreme of the 2017 movie version where LeFou is seen dropping coins into the tavern buckets and people’s hands during the song :)
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14818
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Heloin wrote:I become a pirate on the local river. Once I establish myself I sail downstream to a better town.

Infected Mushroom wrote:You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

Then why is it even in France? We could be in Shropshire for all it matters.

Because IM just watched Beauty and the Beast.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:10 points and I get a chair made of antlers and free booze???

It's like a dream come true.


The free booze is a pretty big selling point
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Kiu Ghesik
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 458
Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider this hypothetical:

You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

In the town, everyone knows each other and quite frankly, most of the town consists of highly unlikable, narrow-minded and judgmental individuals.

However, you’re not in a position to move to another town. You’re stuck with these people.

You regularly witness the town turn on each other and bash outsiders and non-conformists.

Now as a hunter, you command moderate levels of respect, however, you get the squinty eyes too and sometimes get treated badly.

However, you can pay to increase your respect levels.

If you pay 1/10th of your hard earned salary to the main tavern once every week, then somehow magically 100 percent of the town will suddenly mindlessly, genuinely, and slavishly worship you. They will think you’re the Best. Your painting will be hung on the walls of all main gathering places, you will get free drinks all the time, and everyone will swoon over you. Whenever you walk into an area, you can ask or prompt and everyone will start singing (and somehow they all know how to) refrains praising your manliness, skill as a hunter, and ability to spit accurately. They will build a throne made of antlers, The Chair for you.

So here are your choices:

1. Live and work in the town with these unpleasant characters with moderate respect, sometimes getting screwed over

Or

2. Pay an informal tax for Respect

Please assume that if you pay the tax, the magic works flawlessly.

Assuming I can’t move, then I’d pay the tax. It makes life that much easier. So why not?

Well.

When I was a lad, I ate four dozen eggs, every morning to help me get LARGE!
Our foreign policy: Надад мөнгөө өг
more factbooks some days
Here's an overview!
And the leader!
I'm Outer Acharet's
alt account!
Tell me you said hi
next time you see me!

A nation of Bronze Age nomads trying to get by in a time of rising empires.
(Or angry horsemen, you choose)
NS Stats run through by a cavalry charge.
-The Mother -loves the Children -of Ghes.-
Other nations I run: Outer AcharetMiranda-22
People who disrespected our foreign policy: 8

User avatar
Eahland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1357
Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Sucker's game. I'll just earn their respect (and $60M) by eating five dozen eggs a day.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12344
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Hell no. That's not respect, that's sycophancy. And on some level all the people of the town know that, and they will test the waters by slowly revoking their respect and praise to see if they can get more money out of me.
All about dat FREE stuff: FREE hotel rooms for immigrants - FREE health care - FREE speech - FREE Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged." - Noam Chomsky

Protect yourself from Covid-19: Stop licking boots.

User avatar
Rusozak
Minister
 
Posts: 2375
Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Rusozak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm

I'm already kind of living that first scenario so.... no. Respect is earned. It wouldn't feel right otherwise. Being surrounded by sycophants you bought the love of isn't my idea of paradise.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

User avatar
Brinckerhoff
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brinckerhoff » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Page wrote:Hell no. That's not respect, that's sycophancy. And on some level all the people of the town know that, and they will test the waters by slowly revoking their respect and praise to see if they can get more money out of me.


Of COURSE they're into sycophancy, they're openly pro-PRC, an enthnocidal dystopia which views the history of QWestern Colonialism as an instruction manual. THAT'S sycophancy. No three-day weekends in the concentration camps.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ture=share
Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider this hypothetical:

You are a skilled hunter in a backwater town in rural France (where somehow everyone speaks and sings in English).

In the town, everyone knows each other and quite frankly, most of the town consists of highly unlikable, narrow-minded and judgmental individuals.

However, you’re not in a position to move to another town. You’re stuck with these people.

You regularly witness the town turn on each other and bash outsiders and non-conformists.

Now as a hunter, you command moderate levels of respect, however, you get the squinty eyes too and sometimes get treated badly.

However, you can pay to increase your respect levels.

If you pay 1/10th of your hard earned salary to the main tavern once every week, then somehow magically 100 percent of the town will suddenly mindlessly, genuinely, and slavishly worship you. They will think you’re the Best. Your painting will be hung on the walls of all main gathering places, you will get free drinks all the time, and everyone will swoon over you. Whenever you walk into an area, you can ask or prompt and everyone will start singing (and somehow they all know how to) refrains praising your manliness, skill as a hunter, and ability to spit accurately. They will build a throne made of antlers, The Chair for you.

So here are your choices:

1. Live and work in the town with these unpleasant characters with moderate respect, sometimes getting screwed over

Or

2. Pay an informal tax for Respect

Please assume that if you pay the tax, the magic works flawlessly.

Assuming I can’t move, then I’d pay the tax. It makes life that much easier. So why not?

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28700
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:54 am

Oh no not another Gaston reference.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45002
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:03 am

That is not respect, its mindless and psychotic adoration driven by some form of unknown magic, instigated by the use of money to control and influence the minds of these people into being the personal cult of whomever should do this act. It is not something to be welcomed, but something to be shunned and feared as it is clearly the work of the servants of the ruinous powers, seeking to undermine imperial authority in the lands.

As such the best course of action would be to send word to the nearest Witch Hunter bastion, and aid the servants of Sigmar in rooting out and destroying the vile Chaos witch that has corrupted these poor townsfolk, so that the Emperor, Karl Franz, wielder of Ghal Maraz and blessed emperor of us all, may have his judgement rendered upon the land and his enemies destroyed utterly. If need be, and their salvation cannot be guaranteed, the citizens of this town shall be sacrificed through pyres and killed in the pursuit of our noble campaign against Chaos, wherever it may lie. For the mark of chaos corrupts all, and none are above judgement.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Im Irish and live in Belfast Im a Leftwinger and im an Atheist

‘I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume

I like: The Red Agenda, video games, Not being a Wanker, Art, History, Blondes, Redheads, English Brunettes, Fortifications, Old Gregg, Tanks
I Dislike: The Blue Agenda, Being a Wanker, Gatekeeping, Likes and Dislikes lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Zealots, People who dont like Tanks

User avatar
Thepeopl
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1551
Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Thepeopl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 am

The New California Republic wrote:Oh no not another Gaston reference.

"I have come for my father!"

As to the OP.

I don't pay tavern taxes.
I don't like narrow minded people.
So I would support the outcasts in anyway I could. Teaching them plant and wood lore, teaching their children.
Last edited by Thepeopl on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33087
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am

I feel the heart of this hypothetical is... can you put a price on something like universal adoration/reverence? And if so, is it worth more or less than 1/10th of your earnings?

Which leads you to think as well, how much of our daily consumerism and expenses is motivated by a need to impress and be accepted?

Makes me think
I support the People’s Republic of China and the Hong Kong SAR government. I also support free trade, law and order, public healthcare, environmentalism, abortion rights and a global 3 day weekend policy.

My Art Thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=292318)

User avatar
Broader Confederate States
Envoy
 
Posts: 234
Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Anarchy

Postby Broader Confederate States » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:17 am

Instead of paying that respect tax, if I genuinely couldn't deal with any of the people I live with, I'd put that 10% into a savings account and eventually be able to afford to move out of Montréal.
Last edited by Broader Confederate States on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
President: Capt. Bailey A. Washington (U.S. & C.S. Navy, ret.) | Location: Southern U.S., plus Puerto Rico and Alaska | Government Type: Confederation | Year: 2065 | Technology: Oil Crisis MT+ | OOC
Doesn't use NS Population | Not actually called the BCS IC, but CSA was taken. | Under rewrite. | Please vote in the 2065 CS Flag referendum.
--proud to be anti-federalist--
america_irl

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dumb Ideologies, Google [Bot], Kowani, Mushet, Nuroblav, The New California Republic, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads