NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Untitled Nudist Camp Issue

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Untitled Nudist Camp Issue

Postby Minskiev » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Idea by Jutsa. Titling skills improving by the nanosecond. Thanks for reading?

[title] none yet

[description] Many are escaping their binding clothes and clothing laws inside their private property. However, after adventurers recently stumbled upon someone going for a nice stroll naked, people are unsure where the harsh nudism laws affect.

[validity] must have Prudism, must have Capitalism

[option] “I can’t believe this!” protests @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, the libertarian @@MAN_1@@ found nude, as @@HE_1@@ is conveniently covered by an intern’s shaky hands. “My private property was intruded without permission, but I’m the one breaking the law? Those draconian nudism laws shouldn’t take effect on private property! Today it’s thirty-minute morning hikes completely naked, tomorrow it’s basic hygiene.”

[effect] nudists kidnap children to take with them down their slippery slope

[option] “I can’t believe this!” hollers conservative do-gooder and said adventurer @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ covers up @@HIS@@ lack of a tan line. “The laws of @@NAME@@ only stop outside of @@NAME@@! How do you think my children felt seeing you like that during our camping trip? These laws help shield our eyes from these immoral, disgusting, and perverted freaks, and these same laws need to lock them up, no matter where they are!”

[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are nicknamed ‘Morlocks’ as basic hygiene is often illegal in @@NAME@@

[option] “You know, I can probably believe this,” blankly @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, noted nihilist teenage philosopher, covering his suspiciously light red eyes. “We stupid, dumb, minuscule, and irrelevant specks of dust in the grand scheme of things shouldn’t care about what @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME_1@@ is wearing, or rather, not wearing. After all, we’re all going to die in the end, and nothing matters and love is fake, unlike my parent’s neglect of me.” He begins to tear up, but he snaps out of it and sighs.

[effect] therapists only seem to answer with who cares, it doesn’t matter, and what
Last edited by Minskiev on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:53 am, edited 17 times in total.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm

How are these options functionally different from what already exists in #8?

I know that option 3 is frequently a crazy option but I don't see how any nation would actually choose said option since it isn't really beneficial to either side of the debate.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Try and make the options more unique
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:58 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Try and make the options more unique

I did kind of feel they were too run-of-the-mill, yeah.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Not gonna lie, I'm happy to see you working on this one. :lol:
Honeydewistania actually made a draft based on a similar concept, but it was actually involved tourists flying in, so they're different anyway,
though even if they were the same that shouldn't make you stop working on it. :P

So, the issue here is that the premise itself is solid — nudist colonies popping up, all that jazz. The problem is the issue options.
The options basically treat the premise as an onset for a debate about nudity in general. In other words, basically issue number 8.

The options should instead be about the nudist camps themselves. Something like, I dunno,
"They are immoral and disgusting! These people should be (publicly shunned/punished by the state)",
"They provide an outlet for those who wish to be natural! They're away from the rest of society; you should be subsidizing them".
and "You know, maybe the problem is we're too prudish as a society. I mean, I like my clothing, but I wouldn't care if (previous speaker) went out in the buff."

Not that you need to go down this route, but I think it's a pretty solid base to work from if at least two options were specifically about the nudist camp
(like, in my example, criminalize and subsidize), and maybe throw in a final option involving the nation's stance on nudity as a whole. Again, though, your draft; just a suggestion. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 am

Jutsa, thank you for the tips! I notice you kind of going “But you don’t have to follow my advice” every other sentence. You don’t have to do that, since I know that if you’re giving advice, you’re not gonna be crazy harsh or whatever. I know my draft isn’t what I want it to be, thank you for some other tips on how to get there.
Last edited by Minskiev on Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 pm

/bump

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 am

OK. So, steps in the right direction. I still feel like options 1 and 2 could be improved though.
for instance, 1 I feel could subsidize the resorts, or maybe have the government encourage it as a getaway outlet, or something. Still, applauding would suffice if you'd rather not beef it up.
2 feels a little out-of-focus by the second half, but maybe you could change "some creep" to be "one of these nudist-camp freaks" to link things a bit better.

3, however. I must admit. Hmm. how should I put this...

I like it. :lol:

It's very weird, and the character's dialogue is mostly fluff, but... to be honest, it's some of the best writing I think I've ever seen from you. :clap:
I think it's a beautiful way to build character to the speaker, as well as make the option distinct from other "let people wear clothes" options. Very nicely done imo. :)
edit: and it genuinely made me laugh. I feel sorta bad given it's honestly a sad character, but it's done in such a way that's genuinely amusing, so I applaud you for that as well.

Also, not gonna lie, I do appreciate the "I can't believe this" theme broken up in the end. Another nice little touch, if I do say so.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:06 am

I'd agree that the overlap with #8 is significant, and #8 has a much better title.

I'd suggest that if this were to work, it'd need to specifically focus on the fact that we're looking at exceptions to public nudity laws for private areas, and defining the limits of that. More nuance in the presentation and the options is the key.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:31 am

People are nude at a nudist camp. Why exactly is this a leader issue? Focus on the why
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:50 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd agree that the overlap with #8 is significant, and #8 has a much better title.

I'd suggest that if this were to work, it'd need to specifically focus on the fact that we're looking at exceptions to public nudity laws for private areas, and defining the limits of that. More nuance in the presentation and the options is the key.

Hmm. Good advice, because I guess that questions your beliefs more.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd suggest that if this were to work, it'd need to specifically focus on the fact that we're looking at exceptions to public nudity laws for private areas, and defining the limits of that.
Specifically whether any area that's outdoors can be considered properly "private". Pretty much no-one objects to people being naked in their own homes (when they don't have guests over), but in an outdoors area, even people who are walking past outside the area officially belonging to you might see you. (Though that could apply indoors if you forget to close the curtains.) It you own a large enough buffer zone around the nudist camp it reduces the chance of someone unintentionally stumbling across, but it still seems like the biggest justification for being opposed to such a thing.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Exactly. That's the angle.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm

So, to twist a little bit from the original idea, and make it about whether being naked on your private property OUTDOORS is legal or not?

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:51 am

/bump

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Another potential angle is where exactly are these nude camps? Crowded urban areas? Near schools? At the bottom of an over populated cliff?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Another potential angle is where exactly are these nude camps? Crowded urban areas? Near schools? At the bottom of an overpopulated cliff?

I'm not following. Why would that matter? Switch out nudist camp, for say, school, and...you get basically nothing. Or an overlap of that 'farm animals in class" issue.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Minskiev wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Another potential angle is where exactly are these nude camps? Crowded urban areas? Near schools? At the bottom of an overpopulated cliff?

I'm not following. Why would that matter? Switch out nudist camp, for say, school, and...you get basically nothing. Or an overlap of that 'farm animals in class" issue.

How could not see why it would be an issue to have a nudist camp next to a school? The thing about crowded areas is that there are many people who go to those crowded areas, walk past the nudist camp and see all the nudists practicing their philosophy. The same applies next to a school, only with children. It's a bit redundant to ban nudity only for nudist camps to pop-up around the nation's largest and most crowded cities, only to have passers-by be able to see into those nude camps

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Minskiev wrote:[description] Many are escaping their binding clothes and clothing laws inside their private property. However, after adventurers recently stumbled upon someone going for a nice stroll naked, people are unsure where the harsh nudism laws affect.

There is some roughness to the sentence structure here that makes it a bit hard to read. Many who? Clothing laws are personal property now (context of "their... clothing laws")? What are adventurers? That seems like a curious word to describe somebody apparently on a family camping trip.

I would suggest providing a little bit more context and clarity about the situation that occurred. Something like...

"Feeling bound up by @@NAME@@'s strict modesty laws, many citizens are escaping their clothes by going nude on private property. Recently however, a family of campers was traumatized when they stumbled upon an individual going for a stroll in the nude on what the family had mistakenly thought was public land, and all involved are now screaming for clarification about the boundaries of the law."

[option] “I can’t believe this!” protests @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, the libertarian @@MAN_1@@ found nude, as @@HE_1@@ is conveniently covered by an intern’s shaky hands. “My private property was intruded without permission, but I’m the one breaking the law? Those draconian nudism laws shouldn’t take effect on private property! Today it’s thirty-minute morning hikes completely naked, tomorrow it’s basic hygiene.”

[effect] nudists kidnap children to take with them down their slippery slope

I don't know if "libertarian" is relevant here, as it wasn't previously mentioned, and political affiliation needn't be specified to make their position clear. Was the word meant to be libertine? That has more of a morale judgement to it, and it would be fair to call @@HIM@@ an "accused libertine" in this context.

I would probably refer to "those draconian prudism laws" rather than "nudism laws" since it isn't just nudism that is regulated, but all manner of how citizens dress.

This doesn't make clear where nudism and basic hygiene are connected. Where is the logical leap from banning public nudity to banning brushing your teeth? Is it about the idea that if you can't be naked on your own land, soon you won't be allowed to be naked in your own home in order to bathe? I would make that a lot mores specific, if that's the intention. It is a good argument, but not at all clear presently.

What on earth does being permitted to hike naked have to do with kidnapping children? That unfortunately sounds sexual for lack of context, and anything sexual involving children has to be a huge no.

[option] “I can’t believe this!” hollers conservative do-gooder and said adventurer @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ covers up @@HIS@@ lack of a tan line. “The laws of @@NAME@@ only stop outside of @@NAME@@! How do you think my children felt seeing you like that during our camping trip? These laws help shield our eyes from these immoral, disgusting, and perverted freaks, and these same laws need to lock them up, no matter where they are!”

[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are nicknamed ‘Morlocks’ as basic hygiene is often illegal in @@NAME@@

Again I'd alter the "adventurer" language to be more clear.

Is the "lack of a tan line" thing supposed to imply the plaintiff is themself a nudist? That doesn't seem overly congruent with the issue.

The lack of hygiene thing in the effect remains confusing. Clarifying it in the previous option text would help, but I'd probably modify it to be a bit more humorous and specific. "morality police routinely raid bathrooms to ensure everybody wears a bathing suit in the shower" or something along those lines.

[option] “You know, I can probably believe this,” blankly @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, noted nihilist teenage philosopher, covering his suspiciously light red eyes. “We stupid, dumb, minuscule, and irrelevant specks of dust in the grand scheme of things shouldn’t care about what @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME_1@@ is wearing, or rather, not wearing. After all, we’re all going to die in the end, and nothing matters and love is fake, unlike my parent’s neglect of me.” He begins to tear up, but he snaps out of it and sighs.

[effect] therapists only seem to answer with who cares, it doesn’t matter, and what[/box]

I think there's a missing word in the dialogue tag - blankly what? Are the light red eyes intended to be bloodshot? I'd probably use that word.

This option and effect in current form seem almost completely detached from anything to do with the issue, and could be inserted in practically any issue with minimal modification - "who cares" is a Dismiss Button. If this is meant to be an argument for removing the prudism laws, I'd suggest it be significantly more pointed to that end, with an actual suggestion of taking action - not just not caring.

One thing that seems to be left out of the discussion is the whole "they were trespassing" part of the scenario. I feel like that would be a good in for a "revoke prudism" option, setting something up where you can point out the hypocrisy of the situation. These trespassing folks are ignoring their own infractions to try and hypocritically punish other people for theirs - certainly we should get rid of laws that motivate that kind of behavior, and send a strong message to the trespassers, or some such similar argument.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?