NATION

PASSWORD

{ON HOLD} The Internet Sure Does Listen...

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kor Pantaal
Secretary

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

{ON HOLD} The Internet Sure Does Listen...

Postby Kor Pantaal » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:28 pm

The Internet Sure Does Listen...

[Requirements for this Issue]
Must allow Internet Access.

[Description]
After sipping on tea at your desk whilst looking through mail, you noticed an advertisement that coincidentally mentioned new deals in regards to buying cheaper tea, which happens to be sold by a company from Northern @@NATION@@. You look at it in disbelief by the irony in it being sold in your nation.

[Option 1]
"Look @@LEADER@@, we need to crack down on whoever conspired to listen to our conversations for the purpose of spamming this ridiculous advertisement to your office", demands your Minister for Private Security as he sips on Coffee instead. "We should invest in foreign business since we can't trust our own country's corporations... not that it's my business to get involved in economics."

[Effect 1]
@@NATION@@ has resorted to banning all industries within its own borders while allowing foreign companies to dominate the market..
- Autarky Cancelled

[Option 2]
Your Justice Minister confronts you, which to your surprise was standing behind you the entire time. "You know what @@LEADER@@? This country needs a little more than just companies spying on its own people for profit. Why not do the same," he asks in a polite tone with a cute smile. "In fact, why not spy on these companies to see if these companies have been involved with the black market recently? You know... for security measures."
[Effect 2]
Both big companies and the government tend to play a game of hide-and-seek.
- Economic freedoms lower

[Option 3]
"How about leaving our companies alone," suggests multi-billionaire @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I thought this was a free market. @@LEADER@@, I know that some companies do some fishy stuff and all, but honestly for the sake of liberty, let the market take its course." He then winks at you affectionately.
[Effect 3]
Laissez-faire tends to be the government's most important policy.
+ Corruption increase
+ Economy goes up

[Option 4]
"You know, tea is a very important item in this country," says a stranger in the corner, after realizing it was just the janitor. "Although, I've come to realize that Tea is simply useless leaf juice, don't you agree? Honestly, we should be drinking coffee or maybe even @@CAPITAL@@ juice. I here that stuff is pretty delicious and nutritious."
[Effect 4]
The debate on whether to drink tea or coffee has become a national controversy.

[Description]
After sipping on tea at your desk whilst looking through mail, you noticed an advertisement that coincidentally mentioned new deals in regards to buying cheaper tea, which happens to be sold by a company from Northern @@NATION@@. You look at it in disbelief because only in the last cabinet meeting, one of your ministers had mentioned buying a new stock of tea while in a Soom call.

[Option 1]
"Look @@LEADER@@, we need to crack down on whoever or whatever is listening to our conversations for the purpose of spamming this ridiculous advertisement to your office", demands your Minister for Private Security as he sips on Coffee instead. "We should regulate corporations who spend millions of @@CURRENCY@@ on advertisement and record every transaction they make since big companies can't be trusted if they're just going to violate people's privacy for their advertisement purposes... not that it's my business to get involved in economics."

[Effect 1]
@@NATION@@ has resorted to banning all industries within its own borders if a single customer claims that they've received ads related to their private conversations at home.
+ Economic Freedom goes up

[Option 2]
Your Justice Minister confronts you, which to your surprise was standing behind you the entire time. "You know what @@LEADER@@? This country needs a little more than just companies spying on its own people for profit. Why not do the same," he asks in a polite tone with a cute smile. "In fact, why not spy on these companies to see if these companies have been involved with the black market recently? Or if they're selling illegal produce? You know... for security measures."
[Effect 2]
The government tend to play an illegal game of hide-and-seek.
+ Corruption goes up

[Option 3]
"How about leaving our companies alone," suggests multi-billionaire @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I thought this was a free market. @@LEADER@@, I know that some companies do some fishy stuff and all, but honestly for the sake of liberty, let the market take its course. We need to collect data so we can help our customers with advertisement that will interest them. Of course, there will be some privacy concerns but," they wink at you affectionately. "It's the internet! You never know what could go wrong."
[Effect 3]
Laissez-faire tends to be the government's most important policy but so is flirting with billionaires.
+ Corruption increase
+ Economy goes up

[Option 4]
"You know, why do we have an economy," asks a stranger in the corner, after realizing it was just the old janitor. "Although it is beneficial to society, I've come to realize that Tea is simply useless leaf juice, don't you agree? Oh, sorry I spaced out. My point is that we should have an economy run by the workforce. We are the backbone of this economy, so why not turn the state into... well, I don't know? A Unionized @@NATION@@? Now that's something to look forward too... Oh sorry, I spaced out again."
[Effect 4]
Tea as well as many other industries have resorted to unite and turn @@NATION@@ just a tad bit red.

How does this look? Also, I decided that the character on Option 3 should be Non-binary for the inclusion purpose of it. I also decided to make Option 4 a little communist in regards to that spaced out janitor. Option 2 is just the government illegally spying on companies, and Option 1 should regulate advertisement due to privacy concerns, kinda like those Facebook scandals. Actually, I go through this every day on Youtube. Depending on the Content I watch, Youtube will focus advertisement based on what I've watched, which is a bit concerning, so I decided it make it a weird issue.
Last edited by Kor Pantaal on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kortographer
I'm a Social Democrat. (Centre-Left)
I used to be on here a lot more. I've grown older now.
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.”
- Kor Pantaal
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Parliament Moderator
Civilian

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Parliament Moderator » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:44 pm

It's sad that nobody replies to this...

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Kor Pantaal wrote:[Description]
After sipping on tea at your desk whilst looking through mail, you noticed an advertisement that coincidentally mentioned new deals in regards to buying cheaper tea, which happens to be sold by a company from Northern @@NATION@@. You look at it in disbelief by the irony in it being sold in your nation.
From the description alone, I'm not convinced there's much of a dilemma here — if there is, it doesn't come across very clearly. Are you trying to explore targeted advertising? Spying? Tea imports…? I'm not sure what's "ironic" about the tea being sold in the player's nation either.

The options do help clear up what's going on, although I'm not sure if companies spying on potential customers is the kind of problem worthy of an Issue. If you're talking about actual spying-through-the-window type stuff, I'd say that a) that's presumably illegal already (if it's legal, then there's no dilemma to begin with) and b) companies have no reason to spy on individuals since targeted advertising exists.

If you are talking about targeted ads, then the first step would be to make that clearer (perhaps by using "spying" less, and also by mentioning that the ads are online — that was not my immediate assumption). But then the options are kind of all-over-the-place:
  1. Does "investing in foreign business" mean giving up on your own economy? That seems like an awfully drastic course of action, especially when "ban targeted ads" is a feasible way to fix the problem. That's like noticing there's a hole in your boat and deciding that instead of patching it you're going to buy an entire new boat!
  2. Spying on your own companies to look for black market activity also seems a bit tangential. If what they're doing is within the law, it feels strange to expect them to be breaking the law somewhere else, and if targeted advertising is illegal, then there's no need to catch businesses breaking the law somewhere else.
  3. This is a reasonable option that definitely provides an important perspective; however, the speaker doesn't argue their case very well. They only cite economic freedom, when they could also say that targeted advertising is a legitimate form of marketing or that the good such practices do the economy outweighs potential privacy concerns.
  4. A pretty fun option, but it completely ignores the actual issue. (That in itself may not be a problem though.)
Wow, I was not expecting to write that much. But I hope this helps — basically, I think you should re-examine your core dilemma and decide what you're talking about (and also make sure that what you choose isn't the topic of an existing Issue). Then, the options will need some changing, with more logical solutions explored instead of tangential ones.

I know I had a lot of criticism there — please don't be discouraged! :) Writing Issues is a lot of fun, and I hope you'll stick with it! :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:28 am

I agree with Authoritaria-Imperia and that's pretty much where my own thoughts were at after I had read the draft. While the text itself is well-written, the premise doesn't clarify from the start why all of this is an issue or a national dilemma. I think the premise should really clarify this to the player and clearly display what the debate in the options is about before the player goes towards the options.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Kor Pantaal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kor Pantaal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Kor Pantaal wrote:[Description]
From the description alone, I'm not convinced there's much of a dilemma here — if there is, it doesn't come across very clearly. Are you trying to explore targeted advertising? Spying? Tea imports…? I'm not sure what's "ironic" about the tea being sold in the player's nation either.

The options do help clear up what's going on, although I'm not sure if companies spying on potential customers is the kind of problem worthy of an Issue. If you're talking about actual spying-through-the-window type stuff, I'd say that a) that's presumably illegal already (if it's legal, then there's no dilemma anyway) and b) companies have no reason to spy on individuals since targeted advertising exists.

If you are talking about targeted ads, then the first step would be to make that clearer (perhaps by using "spying" less, and also by mentioning that the ads are online — that was not my immediate assumption). But then the options are kind of all-over-the-place:
  1. Does "investing in foreign business" mean giving up on your own economy? That seems like an awfully drastic course of action, specially when "ban targeted ads" is a feasible way to fix the problem. That's like noticing there's a hole in your boat and deciding that instead of patching it you're going to buy an entire new boat!
  2. Spying on your own companies to look for black market activity also seems a bit tangential. If what they're doing is within the law, it feels strange to expect them to be breaking the law somewhere else, and if targeted advertising is illegal, then there's no need to catch businesses breaking the law somewhere else.
  3. This is a reasonable option that definitely provides an important perspective; however, the speaker doesn't argue their case very well. They only cite economic freedom, when they could also say that targeted advertising is a legitimate form of marketing or that the good such practices do the economy outweighs potential privacy concerns.
  4. A pretty fun option, but it completely ignores the actual issue. (That in itself may not be a problem though.)
Wow, I was not expecting to write that much. But I hope this helps — basically, I think you should re-examine your core dilemma and decide what you're talking about (and also make sure that what you choose isn't the topic of an existing Issue). Then, the options will need some changing, with more logical solutions explored instead of tangential ones.

I know I had a lot of criticism there — please don't be discouraged! :) Writing Issues is a lot of fun, and I hope you'll stick with it! :)

I agree with you on the part where writing issues is fun. I appreciate all the insight you provided here, it really helps. :)
Kortographer
- Kor Pantaal

Kor Pantaal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kor Pantaal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:46 pm

[Description]
After sipping on tea at your desk whilst looking through mail, you noticed an advertisement that coincidentally mentioned new deals in regards to buying cheaper tea, which happens to be sold by a company from Northern @@NATION@@. You look at it in disbelief because only in the last cabinet meeting, one of your ministers had mentioned buying a new stock of tea while in a Soom call.

[Option 1]
"Look @@LEADER@@, we need to crack down on whoever or whatever is listening to our conversations for the purpose of spamming this ridiculous advertisement to your office", demands your Minister for Private Security as he sips on Coffee instead. "We should regulate corporations who spend millions of @@CURRENCY@@ on advertisement and record every transaction they make since big companies can't be trusted if they're just going to violate people's privacy for their advertisement purposes... not that it's my business to get involved in economics."

[Effect 1]
@@NATION@@ has resorted to banning all industries within its own borders if a single customer claims that they've received ads related to their private conversations at home.
+ Economic Freedom goes up

[Option 2]
Your Justice Minister confronts you, which to your surprise was standing behind you the entire time. "You know what @@LEADER@@? This country needs a little more than just companies spying on its own people for profit. Why not do the same," he asks in a polite tone with a cute smile. "In fact, why not spy on these companies to see if these companies have been involved with the black market recently? Or if they're selling illegal produce? You know... for security measures."
[Effect 2]
The government tend to play an illegal game of hide-and-seek.
+ Corruption goes up

[Option 3]
"How about leaving our companies alone," suggests multi-billionaire @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I thought this was a free market. @@LEADER@@, I know that some companies do some fishy stuff and all, but honestly for the sake of liberty, let the market take its course. We need to collect data so we can help our customers with advertisement that will interest them. Of course, there will be some privacy concerns but," they wink at you affectionately. "It's the internet! You never know what could go wrong."
[Effect 3]
Laissez-faire tends to be the government's most important policy but so is flirting with billionaires.
+ Corruption increase
+ Economy goes up

[Option 4]
"You know, why do we have an economy," asks a stranger in the corner, after realizing it was just the old janitor. "Although it is beneficial to society, I've come to realize that Tea is simply useless leaf juice, don't you agree? Oh, sorry I spaced out. My point is that we should have an economy run by the workforce. We are the backbone of this economy, so why not turn the state into... well, I don't know? A Unionized @@NATION@@? Now that's something to look forward too... Oh sorry, I spaced out again."
[Effect 4]
Tea as well as many other industries have resorted to unite and turn @@NATION@@ just a tad bit red.

How does this look? Also, I decided that the character on Option 3 should be Non-binary for the inclusion purpose of it. I also decided to make Option 4 a little communist in regards to that spaced out janitor. Option 2 is just the government illegally spying on companies, and Option 1 should regulate adversiment due to privacy concerns, kinda like those Facebook scandals. Actualy, I go through this everyday on Youtube. Depending on the Content I watch, Youtube will focus adversiment based on what I've watched, which is a bit concerning, so I decided it make it a weird issue.
Last edited by Kor Pantaal on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kortographer
- Kor Pantaal

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Please edit the new draft into the OP. It's much easier to see and comment about.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:02 pm

Why are we still getting people suggesting stats alongside their options four years after Issue Editors first told us not to do so? :blink:
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Why are we still getting people suggesting stats alongside their options four years after Issue Editors first told us not to do so? :blink:

Cause that editorial decision isn't as clearly documented (gameside) as the Advanced View Issue Submission Guidelines, which still lists stats?
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Kor Pantaal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kor Pantaal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Fauxia wrote:Please edit the new draft into the OP. It's much easier to see and comment about.

How do I do that?
Kortographer
- Kor Pantaal

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Kor Pantaal wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Please edit the new draft into the OP. It's much easier to see and comment about.

How do I do that?
Go to the post with the new draft and click the button in the top-right corner: "Edit". Select all the text from there and copy it to the clipboard. Go back to the original post, click "Edit" there, and paste the new draft in above the old one. The convention is to keep the old one there too (and all subsequent old versions you end up with over the drafting process) in the first post too — just make sure to hide the old drafts by surrounding each one with "[spoiler]" and "[/.spoiler]" tags (minus the period) so the post doesn't take up a huge amount of space. :)
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Kor Pantaal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kor Pantaal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Kor Pantaal wrote:How do I do that?
Go to the post with the new draft and click the button in the top-right corner: "Edit". Select all the text from there and copy it to the clipboard. Go back to the original post, click "Edit" there, and paste the new draft in above the old one. The convention is to keep the old one there too (and all subsequent old versions you end up with over the drafting process) in the first post too — just make sure to hide the old drafts by surrounding each one with "[spoiler]" and "[/.spoiler]" tags (minus the period) so the post doesn't take up a huge amount of space. :)

Ooohhh, ok
Kortographer
- Kor Pantaal

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:25 am

Tea is a common enough beverage that it wouldn't be out of place to assume that an ad for it would be a conicidence. Try something more neiche, perhaps
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?