NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Can You Relate To That?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Can You Relate To That?

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:35 pm

The idea I had seemed sound at the time I was writing it, but reviewing later made me question this idea. I have decided to abandon this for now, and perhaps later in the future I'll revisit this idea in a different form.
The idea was inspired by how Sadam Hussein believed to be a reincarnation of the ancient King of Babylon Nebuchadnezzar, and tried to identify himself with him after he became obsessed with the ancient ruler. In this issue draft I have given that idea a little twist of my own. I thought the popularity of DNA testing kits like from MyHeritage could be an interesting tie-in, since there aren't that many issues yet that feature the craze. I would love to know whether people feel this idea might work, or whether it's too outlandish. In other words, feedback and comments are more than welcome!

DRAFT 2:
[Title] Can You Relate To That?

[Validity] Must have Capitalism, Must not have banned DNA testing kits

[Description] With the continued popularity of commercially sold DNA testing kits - a service provided by multinationals such as YourHeritageExposed - your brother has finally caved in and sent over a monster of his saliva to the company's laboratories. After several weeks, the test results came back with a surprise: your family is descended from King @@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED_1@@, an ancient ruler of the lands that are now a part of @@NAME@@, and known for his introduction of one of the first legal systems known to the world.

[Option 1] "Did you ever hear the history of King @@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED_1@@ the Wise?" asks your brother, who turned into an expert on the topic overnight. "Well, neither did I before today, but this man was way ahead of his times! Some even say he was touched by the divine. Imagine what a boost to your image it would be if you identified yourself with a leader such as this. Make teaching about him a mandatory part of our national curriculum, have your likeness depicted next to his everywhere you can, and hey, why only claim you're his descendant, if you can also claim you're his reincarnation? It'll legitimize your rule even more, and have our people revere you! Because surely a DNA test like this cannot possibly be wrong?"

[Effect 1] students claim relation to Alberta Zweistein to avoid going to school

[Option 2] "Actually, @@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED_1@@ came up with his ideas by kidnapping scholars and philosophers, and executing them after he had extracted all their knowledge from them," begins sociologist Mike Lopdun Old, while writing an essay. "Which only shows that greatness doesn't run in the blood, but is shaped by merits such as one's talent, efforts and achievements. People these days focus too much on what's in their genes and where their bloodlines come from. Our citizens should be taught to rely on the merits they have themselves, not the ones their long-dead ancestors possessed! Ban all these companies from selling their DNA kits in @@NAME@@, and instead invest in education to promote the development of innate skill and talent."

[Effect 2] one thing led to another and the rise of the meritocracy had become a fact

[Option 3a] "Lies!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s monarchist faction, holding up a pillow with a crown, which suspiciously looks like the one displayed in the @@CAPITAL@@ Museum of History. "@@LEADER@@, this proves beyond any doubt you are to be the legitimate monarch of our nation. Accept this crown and the constitutionally defined powers that come with it, so that our proud nation may bask in the prestige of having a royal house. Long live the new monarch of @@NAME@@!"
[Validity] Doesn't have Autocracy

[Effect 3a] @@LEADER@@ only fears losing reelections in nightmares these days

[Option 3b] "Lies!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s monarchist faction, holding up a pillow with a crown, which suspiciously looks like the one displayed in the @@CAPITAL@@ Museum of History. "@@LEADER@@, this proves beyond any doubt you are to be the legitimate monarch of our nation. Accept this crown and the divine, absolute power to rule that comes with it, so that our proud nation may bask in the prestige of having a royal house. Long live the new monarch of @@NAME@@!"
[Validity] Must have Autocracy

[Effect 3b] @@LEADER@@ inexplicably suffers from nightmares about guillotines these days

DRAFT 1:
[Title] Can You Relate To That?

[Validity] Must have Capitalism, Must not have banned DNA testing kits

[Description] With the continued popularity of commercially sold DNA testing kits - a service provided by multinationals such as YourHeritageExposed - your brother has finally caved in and sent over a monster of his saliva to the company's laboratories. After several weeks, the test results came back with a surprise: your family is descended from King Plagiarmus, an ancient ruler of the lands that are now a part of @@NAME@@, and known for his introduction of one of the first legal systems known to the world.

[Option 1] "Did you ever hear the history of King Plagiarmus the Wise?" asks your brother, who turned into an expert on the topic overnight. "Well, neither did I before today, but this man was way ahead of his times! Some even say he was touched by the divine. Imagine what a boost to your image it would be if you identified yourself with a leader such as this. Make teaching about him a mandatory part of our national curriculum, have your likeness depicted next to his everywhere you can, and hey, why only claim you're his descendant, if you can also claim you're his reincarnation? It'll legitimize your rule even more, and have our people revere you! Because surely a DNA test like this cannot possibly be wrong?"

[Effect 1] students claim relation to Alberta Zweistein to avoid going to school

[Option 2] "Actually, Plagiarmus came up with his ideas by kidnapping scholars and philosophers, and executing them after he had extracted all their knowledge from them," begins sociologist Mike Lopdun Old, while writing an essay. "Which only shows that greatness doesn't run in the blood, but is shaped by merits such as one's talent, efforts and achievements. People these days focus too much on what's in their genes and where their bloodlines come from. Our citizens should be taught to rely on the merits they have themselves, not the ones their long-dead ancestors possessed! Ban all these companies from selling their DNA kits in @@NAME@@, and instead invest in education to promote the development of innate skill and talent."

[Effect 2] one thing led to another and the rise of the meritocracy had become a fact

[Option 3a] "Lies!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s monarchist faction, holding up a pillow with a crown, which suspiciously looks like the one displayed in the @@CAPITAL@@ Museum of History. "@@LEADER@@, this proves beyond any doubt you are to be the legitimate monarch of our nation. Accept this crown and the constitutionally defined powers that come with it, so that our proud nation may bask in the prestige of having a royal house. Long live the new monarch of @@NAME@@!"
[Validity] Doesn't have Autocracy

[Effect 3a] @@LEADER@@ only fears losing reelections in nightmares these days

[Option 3b] "Lies!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@NAME@@'s monarchist faction, holding up a pillow with a crown, which suspiciously looks like the one displayed in the @@CAPITAL@@ Museum of History. "@@LEADER@@, this proves beyond any doubt you are to be the legitimate monarch of our nation. Accept this crown and the divine, absolute power to rule that comes with it, so that our proud nation may bask in the prestige of having a royal house. Long live the new monarch of @@NAME@@!"
[Validity] Must have Autocracy

[Effect 3b] @@LEADER@@ inexplicably suffers from nightmares about guillotines these days
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Plagiarismus certainly rolls off the tongue.

I’m not too sold on it.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Minskiev wrote:Plagiarismus certainly rolls off the tongue.

Just like Nebuchadnezzar ;P

Minskiev wrote:I’m not too sold on it.

Do you mean the name of the ancient king or the idea in the draft itself?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Minskiev wrote:Plagiarismus certainly rolls off the tongue.

Minskiev wrote:I’m not too sold on it.

The ancient king. Also, what if that nation has matriarchal roots? Maybe monarch would fit better? Is it a breach of autonomy?
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Minskiev wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:

The ancient king. Also, what if that nation has matriarchal roots? Maybe monarch would fit better? Is it a breach of autonomy?

That is why it's said the King ruled the lands that are today a part of @@NAME@@, not @@NAME@@ itself :) I think that circumvents the issue of autonomy, or at least, I hope it does.

I will try to come up with a better name for the King.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Minskiev wrote:

That is why it's said the King ruled the lands that are today a part of @@NAME@@, not @@NAME@@ itself :) I think that circumvents the issue of autonomy, or at least, I hope it does.

Oh, you’re right. Yeah, you’re right there, my bad.

Anyways, perhaps something like Maximus Barrington. I don’t know.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 am

Minskiev wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:

Oh, you’re right. Yeah, you’re right there, my bad.

Anyways, perhaps something like Maximus Barrington. I don’t know.

Alright, I have slept a night over it and decided to simply use @@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED_1@@. That way the game can decided on the name and it'll likely sound foreign and exotic, which was basically the intent :P

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 am

What percentage of people are decemdant from this guy? Because if it's close to 100%, why is that special?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What percentage of people are decemdant from this guy? Because if it's close to 100%, why is that special?

That's the social commentary on this issue. Ancestries that go that far back are likely to have many, many descendants in the present day. Yet even then, it didn't stop leaders like Sadam Hussein from trying to make a big thing out of it.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads