NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Coming Clean

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DRAFT] Coming Clean

Postby Jutsa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:25 am

So, this is a bit of an odd draft, but uh... hopefully it's an interesting one? :P

Title: Coming Clean
The Issue: While watching news coverage aired the confession of serial killer and video pirater @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Arch Bishop has taken noticed something rather peculiar — a high-ranking clergyman was involved. Upon your Bishop's meeting with the Clergymen, it turns out @@FIRSTNAME_1@@ was afraid the clergyman would channel divine energy that would punish @@HIM@@ if he didn't come clean with @@HIS@@ crimes and various sins.
Validity: Highly Religious; Monoreligious?, courts?

Option 1: "It was the police officer's idea," says clergyman @@RANDOMNAME@@, adorning the same symbol-clad attire @@HE@@ had during the confession. "@@FIRSTNAME_1@@ was about the most devout person you'd ever meet. It's a shame that @@HE_1@@ had committed @@HIS_1@@ sins, but I believe @@HE_1@@'s now forgiven by our Great Creator, who now holds it in our responsibility to punish @@HIM_1@@. I truly believe it would be in our nation's best interest to have a clergyman available at all police questionings, and instill the message that our Creator will forgive all those who repent, but forever burn those who don't."
[effect] trial witnesses are drowned in holy water and holy scriptures

Option 2: "That's all well and good, but holy power doesn't dish out punishments like that on this mortal plane," suggests the highly devout police officer, chaining a weighted ball to a duck. "It dishes out miracles. I propose we throw high-profile convicts who don't confess into boiling holy water. If they survive, then they're innocent. If they don't, well, then I guess they didn't deserve a miracle."
[effect] divine soup is surprisingly not very good for the soul

Option 3: "Heaven's mercy..." says your Arch Bishop, holding up a holy scripture to the police officer. "It's not that I don't believe in miracles, but asking our Creator to save every person we throw in a stew is surely too much, not to mention a devilish expense in holy water. We just need to reinforce the idea that you'll be treated better or worse in the afterlife the better or worse a person you are. Schools should teach those values to our youth at an early age, while unbelievers and criminals should be handed to the church to be set back on the path of righteousness."
[effect] you will be on the one true path whether you like it or not

Option 4: "Hey, I know this is a kind of bad time," says the convict from outside your office window, "but I just spilled my guts to the divine powers at be. They've forgiven me, so... maybe the state could as well?"
[effect] terrorists are forgiven for saying they're sorry
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 pm

So... what is the issue? I don't really see the structure of "several different solutions to the same problem". It's just several courses of action only loosely connected to one another:
1. The scenario in the set-up worked well, so let's try to make that standard practice.
2. Let's do something else that only related in as far as that it's also religious, but otherwise isn't supported in any way by recent events.
3. Basically the same goal as option 1. The whole thing wouldn't have worked if the killer hadn't been raised to fear divine punishment as option 3 says. Why/how do the speakers of option 1 and 3 disagree with each other?
4. I was initially confused how this was different from option 1, which also emphasized the killer having been "forgiven by our Great Creator". On closer reading I noticed the difference, but really it seems weird for a religious person to insist that God has forgiven someone but we shouldn't. That's basically saying that God's judgement is inadequate.

By the way, remember that it's possible to abolish copyright law.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Option 2 sounds like something that would happen in the 12th Century, not the 21st century
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2 sounds like something that would happen in the 12th Century, not the 21st century

Yep, that's the point — actually this whole issue draft was made to work around this option. :lol:

Option 1/3, I agree, should be together somehow; and I'm noticing there's no option keeping the church out of the criminal justice system. :roll:

Also seeing how 1/4 is an issue, too. :P

Hmh... probably would have to rework this. But yeah, I think the premise of having a divine power dish out justice is an interesting one.
Not 100% sure the description works as it stands, but I'd still like to try to work with the idea.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Return to Got Issues?