NATION

PASSWORD

[ISSUE DRAFT]: The God Confusion

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Is this a good issue?

It's amazing!
No votes
Quite good
50%
ehh
50%
Bad, but there's some hope
No votes
Just bad
No votes
Terrible, stop wasting your time on this.
No votes

Total votes : 2

Allenstadt
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

[ISSUE DRAFT]: The God Confusion

Postby Allenstadt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 pm

I wrote another draft for the same issue, and here's my second (and hopefully last) draft!

The God Conclusion

A minor radical priest at the Church of Violet, @@RANDOMNAME@@, has claimed to have discovered conclusive evidence that the Violetist god exists. While currently only your government has @@HIS@@/@@HE@@/@@HIM@@'s paper, it may be released at any moment. You ministers have all gathered to throw conflicting advice at you.

Requirements: Country must not have Atheism, Theocracy, or State-Controlled Media installed.

1. "This would be a disaster!" squeaks you Minister for Secularism. "Violetists make up barely a tenth of our population, and now if they catch wind of this, there'll be a civil war! They'll want to rule us all! For Violet's- I mean for God's sake, pay of this preposterous preacher before we dissolve into a civil war!
RESULT:
@@LEADER@@'s opponents are the richest in @@NAME@@.

2. "Who wants to spend so much money?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, the head of your Internal Security department. We could just make everyone involved... disappear.
RESULT:
being @@LEADER@@'s opponents was voted as one of the top ten most dangerous jobs.

3. "Calm down," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the minister for Free Speech. "The right to free speech is guaranteed to our people. And besides, we don't live in the Middle Ages! No one's going to fight over some priest who claims to have proved Violet! There'll be some boring TV debates and the whole mess will settle down.
RESULT:
boring political debates have been replaced with mind-numbing religious debates.

4. Your brother, who's not supposed to be here, looks up from his phone. "The Minister has a point. If free speech wasn't guaranteed to our people, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place!"
RESULT:
the 'hour with the Opposition' has been replaced with the 'Ideological Purity Hour'.

5. You pick up a call from a prominent atheist Richard Dowkins. He says "I can disprove this zealot in seconds! Just give me a couple months and a sweet book deal, and this nut is as good as disproved."
RESULT:
the {i} god illusion {/i} is a bestselling book in @@NAME@@.
Last edited by Allenstadt on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am

1) The poll isn't needed. Everyone can learn to write issues, and it also involves looking at a lot of examples (or example drafts) from others. Just keep at it, accept the feedback, and move on.
2) You don't need to create a new thread for a new version of a draft. Just edit the existing OP and put the old draft in a spoiler.

For the issue itself:
- Description: "@@HIS@@ paper" should be "the priest's thesis/hypothesis/argumentation"

- Option 1:
Also, don't all religions operate on the premise that they know that their god exists? Why would Violetists suddenly want to rule @@NAME@@ when this dissertation comes out?
It's 'pay off', not 'pay of'. Also, why does the priest want payment? This is new information.

- Option 2:
Everyone involved includes the cabinet members, right? Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'kill opponents' option, but it makes some sense here.

- Option 3:
"Proven" instead of "proved"
What's the difference between option 1 and 3, except that option 3 is a lot cheaper? From the exterior, it will look like @@LEADER@@ did nothing.

- Option 4:
What's the difference between options 2 and 4, looking at the consequences?
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 am

Why would this Violetist priest choose to send their alleged proof to the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ government, rather than to their superiors in the Violetist order?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:18 am

Red’s edits, green’s questions.

A minor radical priest of the Order of Violet, @@RANDOMNAME@@, has claimed to be able to prove that Violet exists. While currently only your government has their paper, it may be released at any moment. You ministers have all gathered to throw conflicting advice at you.

Last sentence is redundant. Also, I don’t know why this isn’t exactly like some kid saying Santa isn’t real. Just doesn’t have any verisimilitude, or in English, it’s not believable.

Requirements: Country must not have Atheism, Theocracy, or State-Controlled Media installed.

1. "This would be a disaster!" squeaks your Minister of Secularism. "Violetists make up barely a tenth of our population, and now if they catch wind of this, there'll be a civil war! They'll want to rule us all! For Violet's- I mean for God's sake, pay off this preposterous preacher before we dissolve into a civil war!
RESULT:
@@LEADER@@'s opponents are the richest in @@NAME@@

Violetists already believe that Violet is real, there’s no need to prove it to them, since they already believe it. There won’t be a civil war.

2. "Who wants to spend so much money?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, the head of your Internal Security department. We could just make everyone involved... disappear.
RESULT:
being @@LEADER@@'s opponents was voted as one of the top ten most dangerous jobs

A little short. Also, if everyone involved disappears, then @@LEADER@@ disappears...maybe word that differently.

3. "Calm down," says @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister of Free Speech. "The right to free speech is guaranteed to our people. And besides, we don't live in the Middle Ages! No one's going to fight over some priest who claims to have proved Violet! There'll be some boring TV debates and the whole mess will settle down.
RESULT:
boring political debates have been replaced with mindnumbingly boring religious debates

Breach of player autonomy to say that they guarantee free speech, and to say that they’re not in the Middle Ages. Maybe moderate+ civil rights and moderate+ scientific advancement?

4. Your brother, who's not supposed to be here, looks up from his phone. "@@RANDOMFIRSTNAME_1@@ has a point. If free speech wasn't guaranteed to our people, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place!"
RESULT:
the 'hour with the Opposition' has been replaced with the 'Ideological Purity Hour'

5. You pick up a call from a prominent atheist Richard Dowkins. He says "I can disprove this zealot in seconds! Just give me a couple months and a sweet book deal, and this nut is as good as cancelled."
RESULT:
the book Fantastic Religions, and Why You Can’t Find Them is a bestseller
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Everyone who believes in a god has some claim or rather about the existence of their god. Why is this any different?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?