NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Voting Machine

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Voting Machine

Postby Cretox State » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:38 pm

A Devolution issue concerning the mismanaging of local elections. As always, any feedback is appreciated, especially regarding the title.

Draft 2: Cleaned up some stuff and reworked option 4.

Voting Machine

Validity: Must have Devolution and elections.

Description
During a recent local election in tiny Scarlet Neck Province, things got off to a poor start when three voting machines caught fire in the province's only voting center, leading to a mass panic that transformed into a full-blown riot after a municipal employee responsible for purging voter rolls accidentally let slip that the machines were rigged beforehand. By the time first responders arrived on the scene, the mayor's mafia connections had already broken up the crowd and declared the election a landslide victory.

Option 1
"Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable," tuts your secretary, pouring you your morning beverage. "This just goes to show that local governments cannot be trusted to run their elections in a fair and sane manner. All elections in @@NAME@@ must be put under the direct control of the central government- we're the only ones who can be trusted to get things right, especially in matters as important as these."

Effect: local election results always smell faintly of cheap coffee and big-city contempt

Option 2
"You big city bigwigs just need to back off, alright?" says Tam Anihall, the newly reelected mayor of Scarlet Neck Village. "We're the ones closest to our people, and we're the best ones to decide how elections are held. After all, why would we be in office if people are dissatisfied with how we run things?"

Effect: the new mayor of Yow Kell Township was elected via wrestling contest

Option 3
"Let's have the best of both worlds!" exclaims your Minister of Compromises, doing her daily stretches. "We can please local governments by giving them authority over their elections, and please everyone else by stepping in to hold a second election if we suspect foul play. Everyone's happy! Except the voters and taxpayers, I guess."

Effect: taxpayers are fuming over the government's new two-for-one election bundle

Option 4
"What's the point of elections in the first place?" asks local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@, stuffing a strawman. "Far as I'm concerned, it's just a big 'ol sham to keep us normal folk outa gubberment. Just make all them politicians randomly selected! No elections, no ee-leetism, no fuss."

Effect: the government has abolished elections out of convenience
Last edited by Cretox State on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Voting Machine

Validity: Must have Devolution and elections.

Description
During a recent local election in tiny Scarlet Neck Province, things got off to a poor start when three voting machines caught fire in the province's only voting center, leading to a mass panic that transformed into a full-blown riot after a municipal employee responsible for purging voter rolls accidentally let slip that the machines were rigged beforehand. By the time first responders arrived on the scene, the mayor's mafia connections had already broken up the crowd and declared the election a landslide victory.

Option 1
"Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable," tuts your secretary, pouring you your morning beverage. "This just goes to show that local governments cannot be trusted to run their elections in a fair and sane manner. All elections in @@NAME@@ must be put under the direct control of the central government- we're the only ones who can be trusted to get things right, especially in matters as important as these."

Effect: local election results always smell faintly of cheap coffee and contempt
Alternate: votes for town dog-catcher elections are tallied up by @@CAPITAL@@ bureaucrats
Alternate 2: exhausted @@CAPITAL@@ bureaucrats sift through mountains of ballots every year

Option 2
"You big city bigwigs just need to back off, alright?" says Tam Anihall, who's been mayor of Scarlet Neck Village since before he could walk. "We're the ones closest to our people, and we're the best ones to decide how elections are held. After all, why would we still be in office if people are dissatisfied with how we run things? In my book, the more power y'all delegate to local communities, the better."

Effect: the new mayor of Yow Kell Township was elected via wrestling contest

Option 3
"Let's have the best of both worlds!" exclaims your Minister of Compromises, doing her daily stretches. "We can please local governments by giving them authority over their elections, and please everyone else by stepping in to hold a second election if we suspect foul play. Everyone's happy! Except the voters and taxpayers, I guess."

Effect: big brother is always watching to take your place if you mess up

Option 4
"What's the point of elections in the first place?" asks local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@, stuffing a strawman. "Far as I'm concerned, it's just an excuse for the gubberment ta make hardworking folks like myself stop working and get 'em reelected anyways. Just outlaw all elections! Ya can get back to yo gubberment work, 'an I can get back to tendin' ma crops."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ has become an autocrat out of convenience
Last edited by Cretox State on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:21 am

The subject of this issue draft is very interesting, yet I feel you have to be very careful about overlap here. For example, issue #111 encrouches partially on the same territory, as does #497. Granted, your issue is specifically about elections being organised in decentralized parts of @@NAME@@, but some of the issue options feel very similar to these two issues. For example, the first two align with #497 which also talks about whether things should be organised from the capital or to keep the territories decentralized.

local election results always smell faintly of cheap coffee and contempt

Perhaps consider adding "countryside" before "contempt". Also, from the option alternatives you have presented I like this one the best.

big brother is always watching to take your place if you mess up

I feel this effect line could be a little sharper. Perhaps consider mentioning something about the double elections more directly.

Option 4
"What's the point of elections in the first place?" asks local farmer @@RANDOMNAME@@, stuffing a strawman. "Far as I'm concerned, it's just an excuse for the gubberment ta make hardworking folks like myself stop working and get 'em reelected anyways. Just outlaw all elections! Ya can get back to yo gubberment work, 'an I can get back to tendin' ma crops."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ has become an autocrat out of convenience

While I definitely understand the desire to include this option - and I really like the effect line - I feel as if almost every issue on elections includes an option to become an autocracy :P I definitely don't mind it that you included it in here, but perhaps it would be refreshing if for once we stuck to democracy. Or, include an option that doesn't get as much showtime like Autocracy does. Perhaps something with sortition? You could easily work that into the subject of devolution, as decentralized governments and lottocracies really go well together, I believe.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 am

Draft 2 is now up; I'll replace the effect line for option 3 when I think of a better one.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am

And there's the new effect line.

Return to Got Issues?