NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal Access to Abortion

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Old Hope
Diplomat
 
Posts: 969
Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

[Draft] Repeal Access to Abortion

Postby Old Hope » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Considering that the resolution Access to Abortion has a lot of flaws:

1.Failure to allow restrictions based on reasons other than those named in clause 7:
Clause 3d prohibits member nations from issuing legitimate bans not related to personal safety for the recipient/people in close contact, e.g. environmental concerns(the abortion drug is highly dangerous for the environment, but not to recipients)

2. Dilution of environmental protections in large areas vital to the ecosystem selected as national reserve/under strict environmental protections
a. The construction of clinics also mandates easy access via roads or other transportation measures and the construction of waste disposal systems harmful for a sensitive environment
b. The construction and maintenance of clinics leads to noise and light pollution

3. Excessive costs
a. A lot of World Assembly resolutions are already putting a financial strain to even developed countries, let alone not so developed countries
b. This resolution forces the government to pay for all abortions and contraceptives, and without compensation(or to provide these services for free)
c. The financial capacities of all World Assembly nations combined are not infinite
d. Forcing a nation into bankruptcy due to excessive costly mandates results in instability and decreasing living standards in the nation

4. Immorality:The protections to the unborn of a sapient species able to feel pain might be considerably lower than the protections issued to sentinent beings.

the World Assembly repeals General Assembly Resolution 499.
Last edited by Old Hope on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6363
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:52 am

“I disagree with your arguments. Clause 1 doesn’t work in the context that member states could prohibit the production of environmentally-harmful abortifacients if they were other abortifacients of equal efficacy. Clause 3d does not require that inhabitants must be granted access to each and every drug that could conceivably be used to end a pregnancy, but that people have the right of access to at least one effective abortifacient.

Clause 2 would only work if a member state chose not to build a clinic in a less environmentally-sensitive area, and I can’t see why one would do so. It makes far more sense economically speaking to construct a clinic in an area that already has suitable infrastructure in place. Your clause 2b seems somewhat unimportant, since it is true of every building.

Clause 3 is remedied by the authorisation of the GA to construct clinics that do not use member states’ resources, except indirectly via the WAGF, in case of an inability to pay. Lastly, clause 4 simply doesn’t work, since the GA has agreed that procuring an abortion is not immoral. I won’t address exactly why, since there are transcripts in almost every abortion-related drafting chamber discussing this at length.”
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Old Hope
Diplomat
 
Posts: 969
Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Old Hope » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:48 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I disagree with your arguments. Clause 1 doesn’t work in the context that member states could prohibit the production of environmentally-harmful abortifacients if they were other abortifacients of equal efficacy. Clause 3d does not require that inhabitants must be granted access to each and every drug that could conceivably be used to end a pregnancy, but that people have the right of access to at least one effective abortifacient.

Clause 2 would only work if a member state chose not to build a clinic in a less environmentally-sensitive area, and I can’t see why one would do so. It makes far more sense economically speaking to construct a clinic in an area that already has suitable infrastructure in place. Your clause 2b seems somewhat unimportant, since it is true of every building.

Clause 3 is remedied by the authorisation of the GA to construct clinics that do not use member states’ resources, except indirectly via the WAGF, in case of an inability to pay. Lastly, clause 4 simply doesn’t work, since the GA has agreed that procuring an abortion is not immoral. I won’t address exactly why, since there are transcripts in almost every abortion-related drafting chamber discussing this at length.”

Let`s go over this one by one. First...
My clause 1: The resolution says
No members may:[...]prohibit or levy discriminatory tariffs or tax against section 7 compliant contraceptives or abortifacients,

and
Health and safety. The World Health Authority (WHA) must issue regulations to ensure abortions, abortifacients, and contraceptives available to the general public are safe and effective for end-users and those with which they may be in close contact. Such regulations overrule those made by members unless it can be shown to the IAO that those WHA regulations are insufficient in fulfilling the mandates of this section.

Your interpretation is wrong.

Clause 2:You are totally missing the point.
large areas vital to the ecosystem
. This doesn`t mean small forests. It means hundreds of kilometers(OOC:the Amazon rainforest, for example) which would definitely violate section 2:
Funding. Members must pay for or provide directly abortions, abortifacients, and contraceptives to any recipient bona fide within their jurisdiction upon request. Members must also provide a means to access such services and commodities speedily and free at the point of service or provision.

and clause 2b is not unimportant if no building would otherwise have been built there.

Clause 3: Do you know how many costly resolutions exist? Did you overlook that building clinics only covers the abortion and aborifactients but not contraceptives? These things are expensive. You need to take into account that these expenses are related to the population of the member state, and that a significant amount of people will want to have access to one of these services/goods, especially contraceptives... which are NOT covered by the clinics. Your argument does not address clause 3 C at all: if richer nations have to shoulder nearly all things then we reach a turning point pretty fast and everything collapses. You cannot create resources out of nothing, ambassador.

Clause 4:Guess what, that does not make this argument illegal. Please note that this clause says sentinent, not sapient beings.

User avatar
Ardiveds
Envoy
 
Posts: 261
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 am

"Ambassador, we strongly agree with clause 3, have some disagreement with clause 1 and 2, find clause 4 as irrelevant as the personhood clause from the resolution itself. All in all, full support."

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15315
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 am

Ooc: given that extant law provides a great deal of environmental protection, I have doubts that clauses 1 and 2 are even legal.

"We oppose this, ambassador. Access to Abortions passed with a supermajority despite the World Assembly's knowledge of these alleged flaws. I see no reason to bother second-guessing a popular policy made with full understanding of the voters on such a poorly-articulated basis."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Tinfect
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5023
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 am

OOC:
Nevermind what I've said before, this is officially the worst repeal argumentation I've ever seen. You manage to set a new bar every time you come back, it's genuinely incredible.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Military Oversight announces Doctrinal Reform Plan, upcoming military trials | Former Intelligence Director Taraen Vallir, additional operatives executed | 200 year old Varat destroyer found in Balder orbit at historic shipyard location, presumed malfunction of still-installed warp drive | Archive Systems, Hyperpulse Network briefly disabled following accidental release of experimental assistance program | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28700
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am

The reasons given for repeal is largely an exercise in picking at straws. The environmental argument in particular really is laughably bad.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Godular
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11065
Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am

"Yeah, that's a big nope. I see several disingenuous arguments, the most egregious of which is the environmental impact argument. That right there is just silly."
RL position
Active RP: ASCENSION
Active RP: SHENRYAX
Dormant RP: Throne of the Fallen Empire

Faction 1: The An'Kazar Control Framework of Godular-- An enormously advanced collective of formerly human bioborgs that are vastly experienced in both inter-dimensional travel and asymmetrical warfare.
A 1.08 civilization, according to this Nation Index Thingie
I don't normally use NS stats. But when I do, I prefer Dos Eckis I can STILL kill you.
Post responsibly.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10532
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 am

Opposed. This repeal doesn't deliver.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 106635
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Tinfect wrote:OOC:
Nevermind what I've said before, this is officially the worst repeal argumentation I've ever seen. You manage to set a new bar every time you come back, it's genuinely incredible.

*looms ominously* I shouldn't have to remind you about attacking the post, not the poster. All you had to do was stop after that first sentence. Sheesh.
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Old Hope
Diplomat
 
Posts: 969
Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Old Hope » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:04 am

Yes, you are right. I overlooked one important environmental legislation. This, however, means that the rest of the arguments won't be good enough to pass a repeal. I might come back to this if I ever find some convincing argument.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1630
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:05 am

Old Hope wrote:Yes, you are right. I overlooked one important environmental legislation. This, however, means that the rest of the arguments won't be good enough to pass a repeal. I might come back to this if I ever find some convincing argument.

You won't.
Honeydewistania (Nation mostly does not represent real life views.)

Retired Regional Military Director of Lazarus
Posts OOC unless marked otherwise.
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Hepperle

The MT Army Warrior
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
GA#494 Regulating Desalination
GA#498 Ban on Forced Blood Sports
GA#502 Repeal "Freedom to Seek Medical Care II"
GA#507 Repeal "Promotion of Recycling"
GA#511 Ensuring Effectual Recycling

SC#315 Commend Vippertooth33
SC#320 Condemn Noahs Second Country
SC#324 Commend The Red Fleet

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6363
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 am

Old Hope wrote:Yes, you are right. I overlooked one important environmental legislation. This, however, means that the rest of the arguments won't be good enough to pass a repeal. I might come back to this if I ever find some convincing argument.

(OOC: It doesn’t really make sense to mark some legislation for a repeal, then try to think of something to repeal it for. There simply aren’t flaws in Access to Abortion. I suggest looking at different potential repeals.)
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Old Hope
Diplomat
 
Posts: 969
Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Old Hope » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Old Hope wrote:Yes, you are right. I overlooked one important environmental legislation. This, however, means that the rest of the arguments won't be good enough to pass a repeal. I might come back to this if I ever find some convincing argument.

(OOC: It doesn’t really make sense to mark some legislation for a repeal, then try to think of something to repeal it for. There simply aren’t flaws in Access to Abortion. I suggest looking at different potential repeals.)

There are(in my eyes) but they are unlikely to convince the majority.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10532
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:13 am

Old Hope wrote:Yes, you are right. I overlooked one important environmental legislation. This, however, means that the rest of the arguments won't be good enough to pass a repeal. I might come back to this if I ever find some convincing argument.

There's nothing in the draft that makes it a convincing repeal.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tinhampton

Advertisement

Remove ads