NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Preventing Unprovoked Use of WMDs

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Preventing Unprovoked Use of WMDs

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Weapons of Mass Destruction
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of weapons of mass destruction to attack other nations can lead to high levels of death and destruction in those nations,

Noting that many often unsavory nations have proven complicit in using such weapons arbitrarily, and

Realizing that conflict escalation could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, within the restrictions of previously passed and still extant resolutions, hereby:

1. Defines "weapons of mass destruction" as weapons that cause massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life on a scale depending on nations affected by the use of the weapon;
  2. Clarifies that weapons of mass destruction must cause the necessary damage and/or death to bring this resolution into effect in a single use, a single use being a single strike or series of strikes using WMDs in a localized area; and
  3. Declares that no member state may use weapons of mass destruction against another member state, without evidence that the other member has recently used (or intends to use in the near future) such weapons against that nation or an allied nation.

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Nuclear Weapons

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of nuclear weapons can cause extreme amounts of destruction.

Noting that many often unsavory nations permit themselves to use such weapons unprovoked.

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, hereby:

• Defines:
    • A nuclear weapon as any object that uses nuclear fusion or fission in a way that allows it to cause mass destruction through purposeful use.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of nuclear weapons against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation.
  • Mandates:
    • That no member state shall, unprovoked, use nuclear weapons against another member state.
    • That a World Assembly Nuclear Investigation Committee, or WANIC, be formed to investigate uses of nuclear weapons by member states that have a significant possibility of violating this act.
Last edited by The New Cordian Empire on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:33 am, edited 35 times in total.
Save yourself the trouble and call me NCE.
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Former Executive Director of Founderless
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Zizou: like every time i look at lenin's picture i start thinking about onions
Senkaku: with respect, please shut the fuck up about norway

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of nuclear weapons can cause extreme amounts of destruction.

Noting that many often unsavory nations permit themselves to use such weapons unprovoked.

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, hereby:
  1. Defines:
    1. A nuclear weapon as any object that uses nuclear fusion or fission in a way that allows it to cause mass destruction.
    2. An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of nuclear weapons against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use nuclear weapons against your nation or an allied nation.

Full support as it stands. Will switch to opposition once you actually include the clause that bans the unprovoked use of n00ks :P

(OOC: Given Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima... how can a nuclear power plant not be classed as a nuclear weapon? Would this require member states to build their own nuclear power plants without assistance from non-allied countries?)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Where is the Mandating clause?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:(OOC: Given Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima... how can a nuclear power plant not be classed as a nuclear weapon? Would this require member states to build their own nuclear power plants without assistance from non-allied countries?)

Will change that to intentional use. Since those events weren't caused on purpose by those governments (I hope), nor used against other nations, they would not fall under this act.
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Picairn wrote:Where is the Mandating clause?

WIP, meaning Work In Progress. Hoping to get to that today.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 pm

The World Assembly,

• Defines:
    • A nuclear weapon as any object that uses nuclear fusion or fission in a way that allows it to cause mass destruction.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of nuclear weapons against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use nuclear weapons against your nation or an allied nation.
  • Mandates:
    • That no nation shall, unprovoked, use nuclear weapons against another nation.
    • That a World Assembly Nuclear Investigation Committee, or WANIC, be formed to investigate uses of nuclear weapons by member states that have a significant possibility of violating this act.

First draft done. Certainly needs work. Let the edits begin!

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:32 am

"We're with Tinhampton on this one, if we're going to war with a nation in possession of nukes, it is only reasonable to assume they intent to use them. We aren't psychic so we can't exactly read their thoughts."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:17 am

Ardiveds wrote:"We're with Tinhampton on this one, if we're going to war with a nation in possession of nukes, it is only reasonable to assume they intent to use them. We aren't psychic so we can't exactly read their thoughts."

The launching of nukes is an invitation to all-out nuclear war. No sane nation would do so and start that. On the other hand, a history of launching nukes would be reason enough, with some sign of aggression, to execute a strike on another nation. The reason that this act prohibits "first srike" nuclear doctrine and not all nukes is that non-member states will not have to comply with this resolution. Sure, most nations will have enough common sense not to launch nukes and start a nuclear war, but in the case that we have evidence that they mean to do so, we can launch strikes before. To make another point, this proposal does not just ban YOU from launching nukes without evidence, it prohibits all member states from doing so. This means that member states will not be able to launch nukes against each other, and yourself. Rather than think of this proposal as banning your ability to use offensive weapons, think of it as defending you. The point of this proposal is that, if we can ban the first shot in the war, the war will be less likely to happen.
OOC: There is a good reason that nobody, to my knowledge, has launched nuclear strikes against another nation IRL since 1945. The nuked nation would retaliate, and bring their allies in, and before you know it, half the world is glowing. Also, please note that N-Day does not fall under this proposal, since there is a significant chance that nukes could be used against you.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:31 am

"Ambassador, we're well aware of the prohibition this places on members using nukes on each other, and we're partly fine with that. But our issue is with non members. Just because a nation hasn't launched unprovoked before is no evidence that they won't do it now; international situations change and if they do do it, and we refrain from doing the same based on past evidence, we'd be obliterated by the time we realise our mistake. Besides, nukes by their very nature are far more useful as a deterrent than an actual weapon for any reasonable nation. The fear of a preemptive strike often prevents wars, this resolution nullifies that fear against non members atleast. As long as this effects wars between members and non members, we stand against it."

OOC: what's 'N-Day'?
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, we're well aware of the prohibition this places on members using nukes on each other, and we're partly fine with that. But our issue is with non members. Just because a nation hasn't launched unprovoked before is no evidence that they won't do it now; international situations change and if they do do it, and we refrain from doing the same based on past evidence, we'd be obliterated by the time we realise our mistake. Besides, nukes by their very nature are far more useful as a deterrent than an actual weapon for any reasonable nation. The fear of a preemptive strike often prevents wars, this resolution nullifies that fear against non members atleast. As long as this effects wars between members and non members, we stand against it."

OOC: what's 'N-Day'?

The fear of retaliation is just as effective as the fear of the enemy striking first. There is literally no way that a nation of any intelligence will have all of their nukes knocked out in the case of a nuclear attack from a non-member. Additionally, there will almost always be signs of, if not a nuclear strike, then aggression from another nation before they strike at you. Though I supppse that I could change the proposal so as to only affect member states. I will notify my Minister of Foreign Affairs and tell him to make those changes. Thank you for your input.

Edit: The Minister has made his edits.

OOC: It’s some sort of nuke-involving mini game day. I haven’t done it yet, so idk how it works.
Last edited by The New Cordian Empire on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: what's 'N-Day'?

OOC: It’s some sort of nuke-involving mini game day. I haven’t done it yet, so idk how it works.

OOC: If you mean the gameside event, it's just that, a gameside event. Referring to one in IC is odd (as gameside things are often ignored in people's roleplay), and referring to one in proposal text is a proposal rules violation of the Metagaming kind.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: It’s some sort of nuke-involving mini game day. I haven’t done it yet, so idk how it works.

OOC: If you mean the gameside event, it's just that, a gameside event. Referring to one in IC is odd (as gameside things are often ignored in people's roleplay), and referring to one in proposal text is a proposal rules violation of the Metagaming kind.

"OOC: There is a good reason that nobody, to my knowledge, has launched nuclear strikes against another nation IRL since 1945. The nuked nation would retaliate, and bring their allies in, and before you know it, half the world is glowing. Also, please note that N-Day does not fall under this proposal, since there is a significant chance that nukes could be used against you."

Did you read either my post or the proposal text? I referred to the event OOC, as shown above, and the proposal makes no mention of N-Day.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:03 am

What's to stop a nation from nuking Brasilistan and then immediately joining the WA?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Ikheria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ikheria » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:14 am

"Comrade Ambassador, my think now its better for vote nay if this now at vote, unless we now have notification from my Region comrade (Ministry of World Assembly Affair of Europeia). As this also has no right for 'precautionary' attack, if we now bordered by enemy..." ~ Minister of Foreign and WA Affair, Robert Sudausky
Federal Democratic Republic of Ikheria
A nation in Poland, Belarus, and Kaliningrad from result of mass emigration from Nusantara/Indonesia. Capital is Yeltsingrad/Warsaw.
Member of CSTO, CIS, EEU (since its founding), as well European Union (since 2000).
Member of GD, formerly Europeia
| OOC: a 14-year old Indonesian teenager
Remember, Ikherian Language is Indonesian, but writed in Cyrillic script!
Ikheria Federal News Agency: ISEA reviewing IGMMS proposal.|Ikheria Navy began patrolling Baltic Sea after NATO 'pranking' Russia there.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:What's to stop a nation from nuking Brasilistan and then immediately joining the WA?

Assuming Brazilistan is in the WA (which it isn't, if you're referring to the nation I think you are), then the proposal would not have protected Brazilistan. I have made an edit that allows for retaliatory strikes, so now, Brazilistan would be protected. If Brazilistan is not in the WA, it will not be protected.

Ikheria wrote:"Comrade Ambassador, my think now its better for vote nay if this now at vote, unless we now have notification from my Region comrade (Ministry of World Assembly Affair of Europeia). As this also has no right for 'precautionary' attack, if we now bordered by enemy..." ~ Minister of Foreign and WA Affair, Robert Sudausky

This proposal only protects WA nations. You are free to attack any non-WA nations without reason via nukes if you like. But allowing for "precautionary strikes" against other WA nations would defeat the entire purpose of this proposal. Other WA nations have just as much right to be protected by WA Resolutions as you do, and I hope that you begin to think that way. On the other hand, if you have proof that another WA nation intends to nuke you, you may go ahead and nuke them before they do it to you.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 pm

"Why should investigations be had on crimes that have not been committed? Additionally, while you define 'unprovoked use of such weapons', that is not the phrase you use in the draft. While perhaps a pedantic difference, it is less couth to have it as-is."

EDIT: Also, August 9 is very soon - five days is simply not enough for a draft to be edited to completion, much less perfection - except in the cases of the most experienced authors on the site. I'd recommend waiting.
Last edited by Morover on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:Planning to submit on August 9th, the anniversary of the second atomic bomb being dropped on the city of Nagasaki.

OOC: It's always nice to see enthusiastic newcomers in the GA. However, please understand that rushing to submit stuff isn't going to get you anywhere. Submitting in two days simply won't work; many people (myself included) are wholly unconvinced that the premise is even sound. You can clearly write, and definitely have potential in the GA. What you need right now is more experience in how things are done here. I strongly suggest that you work on something less ambitious for your first resolution: a repeal, perhaps. Maybe collaborate with a more established author to get your feet wet. Hang around the GA subforum, and consider joining the Discord if you haven't done so already: https://discord.gg/693GSTA
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Morover wrote:"Why should investigations be had on crimes that have not been committed? Additionally, while you define 'unprovoked use of such weapons', that is not the phrase you use in the draft. While perhaps a pedantic difference, it is less couth to have it as-is."

EDIT: Also, August 9 is very soon - five days is simply not enough for a draft to be edited to completion, much less perfection - except in the cases of the most experienced authors on the site. I'd recommend waiting.

Thanks, I will be waiting.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Cretox State wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:Planning to submit on August 9th, the anniversary of the second atomic bomb being dropped on the city of Nagasaki.

OOC: It's always nice to see enthusiastic newcomers in the GA. However, please understand that rushing to submit stuff isn't going to get you anywhere. Submitting in two days simply won't work; many people (myself included) are wholly unconvinced that the premise is even sound. You can clearly write, and definitely have potential in the GA. What you need right now is more experience in how things are done here. I strongly suggest that you work on something less ambitious for your first resolution: a repeal, perhaps. Maybe collaborate with a more established author to get your feet wet. Hang around the GA subforum, and consider joining the Discord if you haven't done so already: https://discord.gg/693GSTA

I'll stick to this and see if I can pull it off. I will be waiting to submit as per your and Morover's advice.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 am

“I think that there needs to be a lot of clarification on what ‘evidence that said nation intended to use’ means. As written, this would catch cases where a nation intended to use nuclear weapons against another many years ago, but now doesn’t. You need to clarify the evidentiary standard.

Also, in the second definition clause, ‘your nation’ doesn’t work. Proposals are written from the perspective of the GA. Use something such as ‘that nation’ instead.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I think that there needs to be a lot of clarification on what ‘evidence that said nation intended to use’ means. As written, this would catch cases where a nation intended to use nuclear weapons against another many years ago, but now doesn’t. You need to clarify the evidentiary standard.

Also, in the second definition clause, ‘your nation’ doesn’t work. Proposals are written from the perspective of the GA. Use something such as ‘that nation’ instead.”

Edits made to account for both parts of your advice. Thanks.

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:59 am

"As a nation with a large nuclear stockpile, the USSR stands in full support of this resolution."
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:"As a nation with a large nuclear stockpile, the USSR stands in full support of this resolution."

Good to know. Thank you for your support.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm

bump (hope that's politically correct)

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Qhevak » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:30 am

"Aside from the impact on advanced starfaring nations such as us, who wage war at a scale where even mass carpet nuking is a tactical tool, this would keep nukes from being used in response to attacks from biological, chemical and radiological weapons, as well as conventional attacks with similar effects such as mass firebombing.

It would also effectively remove one of the primary reasons to have nuclear warheads, that is allowing smaller nations to have a credible deterrent against larger ones. We cannot support the resolution as is and would leave the WA were it passed."
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly