NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Last Service

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Frieden-und Freudenland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1959
Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] The Last Service

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Partially inspired by Antigone and partially by what happens in Turkey (with regard to Kurdish secessionists).

[description]National media has recently been abuzz with news of the grand funeral of @@RANDOMNAME1@@, a member of the terrorist organization that calls itself Ultraviolet. @@RANDOMNAME1@@ was killed in a police raid when @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ authorities received a tip-off that @@HE1@@ was planning to execute a suicide attack on a major landmark in @@CAPITAL@@. @@HIS1@@ funeral was attended by thousands of Ultravioletism sympathizers who chanted pro-Violetist slogans and called for a Holy War against @@NAME@@. People are now discussing if it is a good idea to let terrorists have funerals.

[validity]Violetism illegal, no forced cremation

1. [option]"This farce makes my blood boil!" yells @@RANDOMNAME2@@, a police chief from @@CAPITAL@@ Police Department who was involved in the raid. "This @@MAN1@@ would have unscrupulously killed hundreds of people with @@HIS1@@ home-made fragmentation bombs in the name of @@HIS1@@ holy religion if we allowed @@HIM1@@ to. And now the douchebag is given a burial with full honors, with fans and reporters attending, @@HIS1@@ funeral turning into a PR event for Ultravioletism. Is that what we want? To help them radicalize our youth by glorifying their bloodthirsty terrorists as martyrs? Families of people who have committed crimes against @@NAME@@ shall not be permitted to hold a funeral for them."

[effect]people who have evaded taxes are not allowed to have funeral services

2. [option]"Huh, wait till @@HIS@@ grave becomes a shrine for these nutjobs!" snorts @@RANDOMNAME3@@, your Minister of National Security, squeezing a stress ball in @@HIS3@@ hand. "Seriously, this has happened before. These people will not be satisfied with a funeral, but will continue to make a show of praying to Holy Violet beside @@HIS1@@ tombstone. We should not only prohibit funerals for terrorists, but also disallow their burial. Let us just cremate their carcasses and put it in a garbage can, or better yet, feed them to the wolves in the nearest forest."

[effect]@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@'s vendetta extends beyond this life

3. [option]"This is just ruthless!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME4@@, your Minister of Compassion, stroking @@HIS4@@ cat and writing down its softness rating on a notepad. "In fact, have you ever thought that our heavy-handed methods of dealing with Violetism may have brought about the Ultravioletists? If we had allowed them to peacefully practice their religion, we would have perhaps not bred so many terrorists. Let us legalize Violetism and release an official statement of sympathy for the loved ones of @@RANDOMNAME1@@, who was a victim of our poor judgment and the radicalization it gave rise to."

[effect]the government approves of pro-terrorism slogans that allow a non-violent and healthy discharge of bottled-up anger
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20916
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Why would attending a funeral radicalise them? If they were attending the funeral, wouldn't they already be radicalised? At least this way, you know who they are and thus get to keep an eye on them
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Frieden-und Freudenland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1959
Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would attending a funeral radicalise them? If they were attending the funeral, wouldn't they already be radicalised? At least this way, you know who they are and thus get to keep an eye on them

It is easy to use a dead terrorist's funeral to agitate crowds. It is an event where emotions run high. Not necessarily everyone attending the funeral would be a radical (except for the people who are chanting slogans), but with the right kind of rhetoric and spectacle, you can help people sympathize with the "victim" even more.

It is kind of similar to Nazi demonstrations. If all attendees are already Nazis, why not allow these demonstrations?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20916
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why would attending a funeral radicalise them? If they were attending the funeral, wouldn't they already be radicalised? At least this way, you know who they are and thus get to keep an eye on them

It is easy to use a dead terrorist's funeral to agitate crowds. It is an event where emotions run high. Not necessarily everyone attending the funeral would be a radical (except for the people who are chanting slogans), but with the right kind of rhetoric and spectacle, you can help people sympathize with the "victim" even more.

It is kind of similar to Nazi demonstrations. If all attendees are already Nazis, why not allow these demonstrations?

I see. I suggest making that clearer in the description
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8846
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Partially inspired by Antigone and partially by what happens in Turkey (with regard to Kurdish secessionists).
I don't think Violetists (or religious fanatics in general) attract the same sympathy from NationStates players as ethnic secessionists from an oppressive regime are likely to.

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would attending a funeral radicalise them? If they were attending the funeral, wouldn't they already be radicalised? At least this way, you know who they are and thus get to keep an eye on them
I suppose this would make a decent enough option (allow the funeral to go through but insist on heavy surveillance).

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21754
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:28 am

I agree, that would make a good option.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Frieden-und Freudenland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1959
Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Partially inspired by Antigone and partially by what happens in Turkey (with regard to Kurdish secessionists).
I don't think Violetists (or religious fanatics in general) attract the same sympathy from NationStates players as ethnic secessionists from an oppressive regime are likely to.


That was my initial idea, actually. But do we have a terrorist organization (in the NS lore) that fights to gain independence or autonomy for a portion of @@NAME@@? There are secessionists who are referred to in some issues, but do they have a terrorist organization the way extremist Violetists do? If there is one like it, I'd be happy to tweak the premise to make it about secessionism.

If there isn't one, I could make up a terrorist organization on the fly, of course, but it would be a little weird. Most importantly, the issue would be introducing two things at once, (1) the existence of the terrorist organization and (2) the issue with the terrorists' funerals being used as propaganda tools. I don't want to do that :(
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads