NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] A More Perfect Union

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] A More Perfect Union

Postby Cretox State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:12 pm

An issue dealing with bringing a formerly rebellious nation back into the fold allowing a small and unstable nation within your sphere of influence to join your nation. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

A More Perfect Union

Validity: Cannot have high Foreign Aid.

Description
The tiny nation of Browkes-Tate has long maintained close cultural ties with @@NAME@@. However, a prolonged famine and multiple armed conflicts have left the nation on the verge of economic and societal collapse. In a shocking turn of events, their government has proposed that the two nations be united under your leadership.

Option 1
"@@LEADER@@, we implore you to consider our offer," pleads @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, Prince of Browkes and ruler of the nation in question, literally groveling at your feet. "A complete unification would show the world that you are a wise and diplomatic leader, and would prevent a massive refugee crisis. We have long existed under your sphere of influence, and many of my people are yearning to join your great land. I would even sacrifice my title for an end to this nightmare."

Effect: 'put it on their tab' is a common statement from the nation's territorial acquisitions

Option 2
"Autonomy means autonomy," counters Foreign Minister Larissa Fey, exiting her disorganized mess of an office. "These people's current situation is their responsibility and theirs alone. Quite frankly, I don't see why we should waste our time and money helping them out, much less letting them join us. We should be focusing on improving the lives of our own people, instead of bailing out the incompetent government of a failing nation with nothing to offer us."

Effect: diplomatic talks fall apart when @@LEADER@@ doesn't like the shape of the table

Option 3
"What are you talking about? These... 'people' have plenty to offer us!" exclaims your brother, making whipping motions at your secretary. "They have raw materials, land, and lots of nice, supple human resources ripe for the taking! It's not like they're in a position to refuse. We'll let them join us, then bleed 'em for every last drop!" He collapses on the floor giggling.

Effect: @@DENOMYNPLURAL@@ complain about having to compete with enslaved foreigners for jobs

A More Perfect Union

Validity: Cannot have high Foreign Aid.

Description
The tiny nation of Browkes-Tate has long maintained close cultural ties with @@NAME@@. However, a prolonged famine, multiple armed conflicts, and immense debt have left the nation on the verge of economic and societal collapse. In a shocking turn of events, their government has proposed that the two nations be united under your leadership.

Option 1
"@@LEADER@@, we implore you to consider our offer," says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, Prince of Browkes and ruler of the nation in question, literally groveling at your feet. "A complete unification would show the world that you are a wise and diplomatic leader, and would prevent a massive refugee crisis. We have long existed under your sphere of influence, and many of my people are yearning to join your great land. I would even sacrifice my title for an end to this nightmare."

Effect: 'put it on their tab' is a common statement from the nation's territorial acquisitions

Option 2
"Autonomy means autonomy," counters Foreign Minister Larissa Fey, exiting her disorganized mess of an office. "These people's current situation is their responsibility and theirs alone. Quite frankly, I don't see why we should waste our time and money helping them out, much less letting them join us. We should be focusing on improving the lives of our own people, instead of bailing out the incompetent government of a failing nation with nothing to offer us."

Effect: diplomatic talks fall apart when @@LEADER@@ doesn't like the shape of the table

Option 3
"We need to strike while they're still vulnerable!" declares General @@RANDOMNAME@@, giving you an uncomfortable stare. "Peaceful integration is for the weak. This is a great opportunity to put our military might on full display with no repercussions! Target practice, if you will. I say we invade, wreck the place, and show the world who's boss!"

Effect: the nation's memory is as long as its hit list

A More Perfect Reunion

Description
After a long and bloody war fought in antiquity, the tiny nation of Rowges-Tate seceded from @@NAME@@. The nation is currently on the verge of economic and societal collapse due to a prolonged famine, multiple armed conflicts, and immense debt. In a shocking turn of events, their government has proposed that the two nations be reunited under your leadership.

Option 1
"These are your people as much as they are mine, even though we severed ties long ago," says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, Prince of Rowges and ruler of the nation in question, literally groveling at your feet. "A complete and peaceful reunion would benefit both our countries. It would show the world that you are a wise and diplomatic leader, and would prevent a massive refugee crisis. Many of my people are yearning to rejoin your great land. Let us begin official talks at your earliest convenience."

Effect: @@LEADER@@ is known for paying off other nations' debts out of kindness

Option 2
"Secession means secession," counters Foreign Minister Larissa Fey, exiting her disorganized mess of an office. "These people made their choice when they decided to cut ties with us. Quite frankly, I don't see why we have to waste our time and money bringing them back into the fold. We should be focusing on improving the lives of our own people, instead of bailing out the incompetent government of a failing nation with nothing to offer us."

Effect: drowning beachgoers just aren't the nation's problem anymore
Alternate: stranded boaters just aren't the nation's problem anymore

Option 3
"We need to strike while they're still vulnerable!" declares General @@RANDOMNAME@@, sticking @@HIS@@ face into your fishtank. After swallowing a goldfish, @@HE@@ continues, "My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather's best friend almost lost his eye in that war! Do these chuckleheads seriously expect us to welcome them back with open arms? I say we invade, wreck the place, and have our revenge!"

Effect: the nation's memory is as long as its hit list

Option 4
"Rushing into this can only end badly, but we don't want a humanitarian crisis on our border either," notes your Minister of Can Kicking, suddenly waking up from his nap. "I recommend offering their government aid and economic support, but going no farther for now. If we play our cards right, we can stabilize the region while making them entirely dependent on us for if and when we do decide to annex them."

Effect: the nation's diplomats are infamous for their ability to stall even the most routine talks
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 am

If they're still at war after hundreds of years, why is that @@NAME@@'s fault?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:17 am

Australian rePublic wrote:If they're still at war after hundreds of years, why is that @@NAME@@'s fault?

The wars are recent, and @@NAME@@ is not being blamed for them.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:42 am

Does this need to be a seceded state? Invoking a formerly seceded nation wanting to rejoin echoes other existent issues, so I think it's best avoided.

It could just be a war-torn and impoverished foreign territory that wants to join your nation.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 am

Cretox State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If they're still at war after hundreds of years, why is that @@NAME@@'s fault?

The wars are recent, and @@NAME@@ is not being blamed for them.

So then why is leader getting involved?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 am

After a long and bloody war fought in antiquity, the tiny nation of Rowges-Tate seceded from @@NAME@@. The nation is currently on the verge of economic and societal collapse due to a prolonged famine, multiple armed conflicts, and immense debt. In a shocking turn of events, their government has proposed that the two nations be reunited under your leadership.

Personally, I am a big sucker for issue premises like these. But considering what Candlewhisper said, there are several issues about seceded states already. Perhaps you could change it to a nation that has been under @@NAME@@'s sphere of influence for a prolonged period of time, so much so that their customs and laws have gradually adapted to be near identical to your nation. With the war and economic/societal collapse, they would see joining @@NAME@@ as the best option, since their customs are similar and such.

Australian rePublic wrote:
Cretox State wrote:The wars are recent, and @@NAME@@ is not being blamed for them.

So then why is leader getting involved?

I imagine that if one country wants to formally join another, the national leaders of both should at least have a chat about it once ;)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 pm

With everyone's suggestions in mind, I've updated the draft.
Last edited by Cretox State on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:19 am

"These are your people as much as they are mine,"

The current phrasing of this feels odd with the new premise. Consider changing this to "These can be your people as much as they are mine,".

@@LEADER@@ is known for paying off other nations' debts out of kindness

This effect line could be sharper I feel. Something like:

'put it on @@LEADER@@'s tab' is a common reply from @@NAME@@'s territorial acquisitions

Effect: drowning beachgoers just aren't the nation's problem anymore
Alternate: stranded boaters just aren't the nation's problem anymore

I am not sure whether this effect line fits in with the option text. I feel it is disconnected from what the speaker in the option is saying, especially since the Minister says "we should be focusing on improving the lives of our own people", so if a beach goer or stranded boater is a citizen of the nation, why would @@NAME@@ leave them to drown?

declares General @@RANDOMNAME@@, sticking @@HIS@@ face into your fishtank. After swallowing a goldfish, @@HE@@ continues

If the issue was fish related somehow, or to the fishing industry, perhaps I would have found this funny. But in the context of this specific issue, I feel like this is a bit too random and misses its mark in terms of humour.

EDIT: Oh, also, I forgot to add: I am surprised the Prince isn't making any demands of staying the Prince somehow, because it would be oddly selfless of him to give up his title and rights to rule as easily ;)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Alright, I updated it.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 pm

What happens to Browkes-Tate's debt if @@NAME@@ integrates them? That seems to be an important detail that never gets addressed.

Option 3 is nonsensical. What's the point of invasion? You'll be destroying what little infrastructure and resources they have when there is a better option in every single way already in the issue.
See You Space Cowboy...

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Drasnia wrote:What happens to Browkes-Tate's debt if @@NAME@@ integrates them? That seems to be an important detail that never gets addressed.

Option 3 is nonsensical. What's the point of invasion? You'll be destroying what little infrastructure and resources they have when there is a better option in every single way already in the issue.

Related to this, if you're going to fit into the trope of the "3rd option is the crazy/mean one" I think you can go crazier/meaner here. For instance, have Browkes-Tate's integration be contingent on the enslavement of their people and/or exploitation of their land or something. A "let's see how desperate these people are" kind of thing.
Last edited by Valrifell on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm

I reworked option 3, and removed the mention of debt in the description.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm

and would prevent a massive refugee crisis.

Consider adding "it" between "and" and "would".

I would even sacrifice my title for an end to this nightmare.

I feel that, if this is the approach you want to take, you should show the desperation in the Prince's appearance perhaps. Have them be severely affected by the famine or practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown to sell this rather selfless act. If you don't want to take that approach, I'd advise you to consider changing this issue to the Prince asking for a unification, but with regional autonomy and the preservation of his title. He could be like the symbolic leader of his people and be the liaison between Browkes-Tate and @@NAME@@.

diplomatic talks fall apart when @@LEADER@@ doesn't like the shape of the table

I feel as if this effect line comes across a little disjointed from the rest of the issue. Perhaps consider making a reference to the real world, namely Trump's "America first" and say that @@LEADER@@ has become some sort of international meme saying "@@NAME@@ first", or something along those lines.

"What are you talking about? These... 'people' have plenty to offer us!" exclaims your brother, making whipping motions at your secretary. "They have raw materials, land, and lots of nice, supple human resources ripe for the taking! It's not like they're in a position to refuse. We'll let them join us, then bleed 'em for every last drop!" He collapses on the floor giggling.

If you'd take my suggestion about regional autonomy in option 1, you could tweak this option to offer a more centralized and authoritarian approach to the unification. That would make the choices more challenging, I feel.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:06 am

Description
The tiny nation of Browkes-Tate has long maintained close cultural ties with @@NAME@@. However, a prolonged famine and multiple armed conflicts have left the nation on the verge of economic and societal collapse. In a shocking turn of events, their government has proposed that the two nations be united under your leadership.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe this as their nation wanting to be absorbed by your nation, rather than united as equals?

On a technical point, we avoid opening effect lines with quote marks, because the game software auto-capitalises the first character when needed for the game front page, and you can't capitalise a quote mark.

However, more broadly, I'm not sure I get what the effect line means anyway. Whose tab? What did this effect line actually mean?

Option 2
"Autonomy means autonomy,"

That argument no longer makes sense when it's not a seceded state.

counters Foreign Minister Larissa Fey, exiting her disorganized mess of an office.

Who is the name referencing?

"These people's current situation is their responsibility and theirs alone. Quite frankly, I don't see why we should waste our time and money helping them out, much less letting them join us. We should be focusing on improving the lives of our own people,

That's kind of a vague action there. Can you be more specific?

What's this mean? What's it got to do with the decision?

Option 3

The last sentence doesn't add anything. And Brother doesn't seem a good fit here.

Effect: @@DENOMYNPLURAL@@ complain about having to compete with enslaved foreigners for jobs

I'm not sure it's explicit here that we're enslaving them.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe this as their nation wanting to be absorbed by your nation, rather than united as equals?

This could be two options, where in one option the Prince asks for a unification as equals (and as such the Prince retaining some power) while another option instead demands the country being absorbed by @@NAME@@, thus not as an equal but in the form of a peaceful annexation.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads