NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Patient Travel Freedoms

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:53 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:What is a ‘clear and compelling public policy interest’

Changed it to "there exists a compelling public interest". The public interest is the welfare or wellbeing of the general public. If a compelling public interest is served by implementing restrictions, and this interest "clearly and demonstrably warrants restricting a patient's ability to seek medical care pursuant to this resolution and definitely outweighs the benefits to the patient in allowing such seeking of medical care," then restrictions can be implemented on the ability of a patient to travel to the extent necessary to address that public interest.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 am

Cretox State wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:What is a ‘clear and compelling public policy interest’

Changed it to "there exists a compelling public interest". The public interest is the welfare or wellbeing of the general public. If a compelling public interest is served by implementing restrictions, and this interest "clearly and demonstrably warrants restricting a patient's ability to seek medical care pursuant to this resolution and definitely outweighs the benefits to the patient in allowing such seeking of medical care," then restrictions can be implemented on the ability of a patient to travel to the extent necessary to address that public interest.

Can you give an example of this?

"It is of the opinion of the Honeydewistanian World Assembly delegation that this proposal should be withdrawn. While not inherently bad, we feel that the Declaration of Mobility Rights proposal is much better than this. In addition, anything not covered by the mobility rights resolution or previous resolutions but are covered in 'Patient Travel Freedoms' (if any) should deserve a separate resolution, as we feel such important provisions should not apply to medical tourists only."
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 pm

This is now at vote.

JC Cavs
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby JC Cavs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Anistria wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"Perhaps you should add a clause clarifying that nations can hold medical tourists accountable for any crimes they may commit while seeking care in another country. If a person travels from Bigtopia to Maxtopia to seek medical care, and there commits a crime, the Maxtopian government should be able to prosecute such tourist like they would prosecute any criminal suspect. But other than that I support."

I also agree that there should be a clause that medical tourists should be accountable for any crimes committed. I also support this.

I think a clause that holds medical tourists accountable is very necessary to ensure the safety of everyday citizens. With this, The Assembly can advance independent nations’ healthcare systems by comparing their strengths and weakness. Another benefit from this proposal is that medical providers can enhance their own practice and gain new knowledge by collaborating with other medical providers around the world. Uniting citizens, nations, and healthcare workers could be fundamental towards further establishing world peace and strengthening world relations.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 am

JC Cavs wrote:
Anistria wrote:
I also agree that there should be a clause that medical tourists should be accountable for any crimes committed. I also support this.

I think a clause that holds medical tourists accountable is very necessary to ensure the safety of everyday citizens. With this, The Assembly can advance independent nations’ healthcare systems by comparing their strengths and weakness. Another benefit from this proposal is that medical providers can enhance their own practice and gain new knowledge by collaborating with other medical providers around the world. Uniting citizens, nations, and healthcare workers could be fundamental towards further establishing world peace and strengthening world relations.

“With regards to accountability, ambassador, there is nothing in this proposal which grants medical tourists immunity from law. Hence, the safety of citizens has already been protected. Indeed, this has been a major improvement over previous iterations of the legislation.”

“Seeing as this has reached vote, I will now declare the Kenmoria WA Mission’s vote in favour of this legislation. It looks to be a watertight and reasonable addition to General Assembly law.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Peterlandz
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Peterlandz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:14 pm

For patient travel and their healthcare privileges, I believe that not everyone should get healthcare. Depending on their own situation no matter what it is foreigners should have to show proof of a job and that they are a citizen of their country. Not everyone should get free and or medical attention if they are asking from another country. It depends on their record and if they can afford it. There needs to be limitations for a foreigners coming to another country asking for help.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Peterlandz wrote:For patient travel and their healthcare privileges, I believe that not everyone should get healthcare. Depending on their own situation no matter what it is foreigners should have to show proof of a job and that they are a citizen of their country. Not everyone should get free and or medical attention if they are asking from another country. It depends on their record and if they can afford it. There needs to be limitations for a foreigners coming to another country asking for help.

Nothing in this proposal forces a nation to accept foreign patients.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives