NATION

PASSWORD

[NEVERMIND] Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Standards

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

[NEVERMIND] Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Standards

Postby Comfed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am

Category: Global Disarmament

Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING the danger posed by nuclear weapons,

CONCERNED that nations may use Intercontinental Ballistic Nuclear Missiles,

WORRIED that the use of these may bring about global destruction in a matter of minutes,

Hereby,
  1. Defines a Weapon of Mass Destruction as a weapon that can be expected to kill at least 150,000 sentient lives in one use,
  2. Defines an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) as a self-propelled unmanned carrier of Weapons of Mass Destruction with a range capable of crossing at least one sixth of the circumference of the planet that they are used on or is able to attain escape velocity on the planet in which it currently resides,
  3. Bans all member states from using ICBMs against other member states unless another member state goes rogue and strikes in aggression,
  4. Bans all member states from using ICMBs if the targeted nation has not used Weapons of Mass Destruction against the aforementioned member state.
  5. Exempts nations from the above clause if a non-member state threatens to strike or if they are in a state of war with a non-member state with nuclear capabilities.
  6. Allows nations to posses ICBMs as long as they obey the declarations above,.
ACKNOWLEDGING that the Nuclear Arms Possession Act takes precedence over this accord.
Last edited by Comfed on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 am, edited 23 times in total.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am

"Ambassador, if you haven't read GAR#10 - more commonly referred to as NAPA - than I urge you to do so.

"Furthermore, any proposal that seeks to restrict military armament in such a draconian manner as this is unsustainable. If member states disarm, they put themselves at a great risk of increased aggression from non-member states. Simply put, member states must retain the ability to defend themselves from non-member states."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 am

Whack! The rubber stamp rebounds off the desk with a resounding thud as Júlía Maria Jónsdóttir, Economic Advisor to the Græntfjall WA Mission, applies the word ‘SUPPORT’ in block red lettering to the draft in front of her.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 am

REQUIRES nations to dismantle all ICMBs without activating any Weapons of Mass Destruction

OOC: This right here makes it illegal for contradiction of extant resolutions, as #10 explicitly makes it legal to possess nuclear weapons. Banning one particular delivery method is naive but not necessarily illegal. Using that ban to try and sneak a wholesale ban through is.

I would urge you to expend your efforts elsewhere besides trying to take on this topic. There are many other topics to cover. This one is not one which has ever lead to success.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am

The Empire shall always stay true to holding its rights to handle, store, produce and even use these kind of weapons when the situation might call for it. Heavily against.

Furthermore; the proposal might be deemed illegal considering it is absolutely draconic and goes against resolution number 10.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am

Heidgaudr wrote:"Ambassador, if you haven't read GAR#10 - more commonly referred to as NAPA - than I urge you to do so.

"Furthermore, any proposal that seeks to restrict military armament in such a draconian manner as this is unsustainable. If member states disarm, they put themselves at a great risk of increased aggression from non-member states. Simply put, member states must retain the ability to defend themselves from non-member states."

We suggest that, rather than banning the use of ICBMs in general, that you instead ban WA nations from using ICBMs against fellow WA nations, while retaining the right to use them against non-WA nations.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am

GA 418 "affirms the right of member nations to possess nuclear weapons and to use them in the case that they are attacked by hostile forces". That said, the specific means of delivery are yet unprotected and unregulated.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56 am

OOC: Can a weapon of mass destruction also include a 'conventional' weapon that poses a substantial risk to life or property? After all, a Davy Crockett nuclear weapon system is less of a risk than the "Father of all Bombs", which is a Russian non-nuclear thermobaric bomb.

Also, I think you should remove the 5,500 kilometer definition of ICMBs and replace it with something like "a self-propelled apparatus capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction and capable of travelling from one continent to another." Remember, most nations do not exist on earth--some nations might consists of islands scattered across a nearly infinite ocean, so by taking away missiles capable of travelling 5,500 kilometers you are taking away their only feasible missile system, whereas other nations may exist on a planet with a circumference of 2,000 km, so an ICBM would be able to circumvent that planet almost three times over.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:06 pm

OOC: just a nitpick but you might want to change that 'human life' to something more general in the defintion of WMD.
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:47 am

Heidgaudr wrote:"Ambassador, if you haven't read GAR#10 - more commonly referred to as NAPA - than I urge you to do so.

How is NAPA relevant here? NAPA doesn't guarantee you the right to possess intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Grays Harbor wrote:
REQUIRES nations to dismantle all ICMBs without activating any Weapons of Mass Destruction

OOC: This right here makes it illegal for contradiction of extant resolutions, as #10 explicitly makes it legal to possess nuclear weapons. Banning one particular delivery method is naive but not necessarily illegal. Using that ban to try and sneak a wholesale ban through is.

I would urge you to expend your efforts elsewhere besides trying to take on this topic. There are many other topics to cover. This one is not one which has ever lead to success.

Alas. It just happens to violate the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Lime82
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 19, 2015

Postby Lime82 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:33 pm

"We will not support this proposal. While we agree that the use of nuclear weapons poses a threat to all living beings, the NAPA allows nations to use nuclear weapons to protect themselves and the threat of mutually assured destruction should be all that is required to prevent nations from using such weapons. Furthermore, we fail to see how this proposal would prevent the use of nuclear weapons without an outright ban - which would be illegal under the NAPA. Ultimately without an outright ban we cannot reduce the threat of nuclear weapons and we will not support token gestures."

OOC: This is an interesting area to draft proposals on and its great that you've taken on people's suggestions on how to improve your draft! I'm new to the WA community (my first forum post!) but I've been around long enough in NS to agree with others who have said that something like this is extremely unlikely to pass and you might be better off attempting something different. But its up to you of course!
Europeia

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Comfed wrote:DEFINES a Weapon of Mass Destruction as a weapon that can cause substantial damage to property and/or sentient life,

Bombs and missiles.

Comfed wrote:DEFINES an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) as a self-propelled carrier of Weapons of Mass Destruction with a range capable of crossing entire continents,

Bombers that carry bombs and fighter jets that carry missiles.

Comfed wrote:BANS all member states from using ICBMs against other member states.

So much for having an Air Force.

Comfed wrote:BANS the state from using ICMBs if the targeted nation has not used Weapons of Mass Destruction against the aforementioned state.

(1) Contradiction with the previous clause, and (2) I can't use my Air Force unless another nation also banned from using its Air Force breaks international law and goes first? I guess that's one way to handle enforcement.

Comfed wrote:ALLOWS nations to posses ICBMs as long as they obey the declarations above,

So we can have an Air Force, so long as we just use it for military shows. Great.
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:13 pm

"The Empire, unilaterally, opposes this resolution."
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019

Postby Qhevak » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 am

Comfed wrote:DEFINES a Weapon of Mass Destruction as a weapon that can cause substantial damage to property and/or sentient life,

DEFINES an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) as a self-propelled carrier of Weapons of Mass Destruction with a range capable of crossing entire continents,

There's no chance this resolution would ever be passed regardless, but it's amusing to note that a infantryman carrying an assault rifle would qualify as an "Intercontinental Ballistic Missile" under this resolution.
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am

Comfed wrote:
REQUIRES that all nations who violate this accord lose their right to the use ICBMs for fifty years.

OOC: You know if a nation has violated the entire resolution, they're probably gonna violate the last clause as well. This line might as well say,
'requires all nations who violate this accord to violate one last clause.'
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:18 am

Qhevak wrote:

DEFINES an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) as a self-propelled carrier of Weapons of Mass Destruction with a range capable of crossing entire continents,

There's no chance this resolution would ever be passed regardless, but it's amusing to note that a infantryman carrying an assault rifle would qualify as an "Intercontinental Ballistic Missile" under this resolution.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile ready for launch, c. 1890
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Qhevak wrote:There's no chance this resolution would ever be passed regardless, but it's amusing to note that a infantryman carrying an assault rifle would qualify as an "Intercontinental Ballistic Missile" under this resolution.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile ready for launch, c. 1890

Fixed. :oops:

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:11 pm

“The idea of completely removing first-strike ability from member states, while non-members possess the capacity to do so, will not go down at all well with nations.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“The idea of completely removing first-strike ability from member states, while non-members possess the capacity to do so, will not go down at all well with nations.”

“Ambassador, I must ask why?”

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Comfed wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“The idea of completely removing first-strike ability from member states, while non-members possess the capacity to do so, will not go down at all well with nations.”

“This means that the militaristic capabilities of members have been substantially reduced compared to those of nonmembers, which outnumber us several times over. Put simply, countries value their own survival above almost everything else, and anything that hurts the survival of nations will be incredibly hard to pass. That’s why the NAPA was a blocker.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Comfed wrote:

"Because, Ambassador, you are making Members less able to defend themselves against Non-Member Aggressors. The threat of Mutual Assured Destruction is helpful in deterring anyone from threatening the Empire, and we will not be giving up our abilities to use that Deterrent against those who threaten our Sovereignty."
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Comfed wrote:DEFINES a Weapon of Mass Destruction as a weapon that can be expected to kill 150,000 lives in one use,

So what about the ICBM that we expect to kill 150,001 lives in one use. This needs an "at least" qualifier.

Comfed wrote:BANS the state from using ICMBs if the targeted nation has not used Weapons of Mass Destruction against the aforementioned state.

You meant ICBMs

Also, consider expanding this to also regulate interplanetary missiles, or passing a future resolution on that matter.
XKI TITO Field Commander

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Comfed wrote:DEFINES a Weapon of Mass Destruction as a weapon that can be expected to kill 150,000 lives in one use,

So what about the ICBM that we expect to kill 150,001 lives in one use. This needs an "at least" qualifier.

You meant ICBMs

Also, consider expanding this to also regulate interplanetary missiles, or passing a future resolution on that matter.

Shazbotdom wrote:
Comfed wrote:“Ambassador, I must ask why?”

"Because, Ambassador, you are making Members less able to defend themselves against Non-Member Aggressors. The threat of Mutual Assured Destruction is helpful in deterring anyone from threatening the Empire, and we will not be giving up our abilities to use that Deterrent against those who threaten our Sovereignty."

Ambassador, you still retain the ability to launch an ICBM immediately after it is launched against your country, but before it hits your country. This is still a highly effective deterrent.
Last edited by Flying Eagles on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XKI TITO Field Commander

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Flying Eagles wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:"Because, Ambassador, you are making Members less able to defend themselves against Non-Member Aggressors. The threat of Mutual Assured Destruction is helpful in deterring anyone from threatening the Empire, and we will not be giving up our abilities to use that Deterrent against those who threaten our Sovereignty."

Ambassador, you still retain the ability to launch an ICBM immediately after it is launched against your country, but before it hits your country. This is still a highly effective deterrent.

"Well, then the Empire will turn to our SLBM's then. No need to worry about an ICBM Ban if we just use our other alternatives."

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
Flying Eagles wrote:Ambassador, you still retain the ability to launch an ICBM immediately after it is launched against your country, but before it hits your country. This is still a highly effective deterrent.

"Well, then the Empire will turn to our SLBM's then. No need to worry about an ICBM Ban if we just use our other alternatives."

An SLBM is an ICBM.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly