NATION

PASSWORD

Do you agree with school students banning their fellow stude

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Elezola
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jul 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Do you agree with school students banning their fellow stude

Postby Elezola » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:25 am

ents from following them on social media?

I have seen, across the internet, many teenagers who say things like "if you go to my school, leave, don't follow me, forget I exist". They say it on apps like TikTok and Twitter. I personally disagree with this policy, I think it is mean. Sure, block bullies, but for example, I have seen some fellow k-pop fans claim to have this policy and I have often thought about how hurt I would be if I went to their school and loved kpop and shared my interests with them but wasn't able to follow thier kpop filled tiktoks because of their policies. They often don't give a reason they just say "don't follow me". Can anyone offer any insights. What are your thoughts.

User avatar
Chan Island
Senator
 
Posts: 4628
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:07 am

Elezola wrote:ents from following them on social media?

I have seen, across the internet, many teenagers who say things like "if you go to my school, leave, don't follow me, forget I exist". They say it on apps like TikTok and Twitter. I personally disagree with this policy, I think it is mean. Sure, block bullies, but for example, I have seen some fellow k-pop fans claim to have this policy and I have often thought about how hurt I would be if I went to their school and loved kpop and shared my interests with them but wasn't able to follow thier kpop filled tiktoks because of their policies. They often don't give a reason they just say "don't follow me". Can anyone offer any insights. What are your thoughts.


That's an interesting consequence of the way the internet keeps people in bubbles. If someone online spends their time posting about niche interests like k-pop, then I can see why they wouldn't want fellow students or coworkers to know, so thus ask them to not follow. I know a handful of folks who have strong dividing lines between their 'warhammer world' and their 'real world', to go with one of my special hobbies.

The only difference though is that in social media that line can easily be blurred, so for people who wish to take a strong stance of separation, then they have to force it.

So for your situation, the most likely situation is that those teenagers are in schools where they are the only kpop fan, and don't want everyone to talk about their 'weird' postings in the school playground.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1459
Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am

Kids are assholes. Some people get bullied by virtually everyone and simply dont want to deal with it. Telling people to fuck off en masse is sensible and prudent imo.
The poor don't hate the rich, they hate those who masquerade inherited wealth as hard work.

User avatar
Nobel Hobos 2
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7872
Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:18 am

My explanation: these other kids have "friends" online who don't know all the stuff you know about them. They're worried you'll embarrass them with real world stuff. Or doxx them, deliberately or accidentally.

Maybe if they knew more about your online life, they'd trust you more. But then I guess you have to ask yourself, do you trust them around your online life?
Also, AiliAiliA
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43127
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 am

Even in the current climate we haven't yet reached the realm of inclusivity-based compulsory friendship. Soon, perhaps!

Like and share this post and remember to elevate cynicism-based gloom posting.
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tʜᴇ Sᴛʀᴀssᴇʀɪsᴛ Sᴜɴᴅᴀᴇ Cʟᴜʙ ᴏғ Dᴜᴍʙ Iᴅᴇᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs
¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸ To culture war! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems ¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane ~ Marcus Aurelius
♆ P ᴀ x D I ᴀ ʙ ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴄ ᴀ ♆

User avatar
WeKnow
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Jun 18, 2020
Mother Knows Best State

Postby WeKnow » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:55 am

This always existed since social media began, it just was more subtle. They'd not accept your friend request or even outright block you without any stated reason why.

My advice? If they're too stupid to realise that online privacy, let alone anonymity, is never achieved by telling everyone who knows them IRL who they are online and then enforcing a 'don't @ me, add me or follow me' policy, they're probably not the most enriching friend you could make anyway.
Last edited by WeKnow on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
A display of one of our finest Ninja in action.

^ If you don't like what you see there, steer clear of my nation. If you feel ready to thwart me, step right up, Champion.

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52020
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 am

This sounds a lot like someone turned down your friend request and you're angry about it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 55446
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 am

My social media, my right to chose who gets to follow me.

The only exception is government officials with their constituents. They shouldn't be able to block them. Because that interferes with the right to free speech.
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
Blaat - all fluff, all action
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Latvijas Otra Republika
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1680
Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:39 am

Bruh
Last edited by Latvijas Otra Republika on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big up LV Rugby. Gobzems - 2022. Trump - 2020. .-.-.-.

2024: The Long Peace - Latvia
Land of The Free
"Just so tired of being so tired"

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33253
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:59 am

As someone who does not have many friends, does not want many friends and DEFINITIVELY did not want my classmates as friends back when I was in school I can understand this. In fact back in the day I even made a deliberate point of NOT having any real name social networks for the explicit reason of avoiding such contacts online. This might come as a shock to you but some people actually have friends from outside their school/work and want to keep those two lives separate.

The Blaatschapen wrote:My social media, my right to chose who gets to follow me.

The only exception is government officials with their constituents. They shouldn't be able to block them. Because that interferes with the right to free speech.

How does that work? What does free speech have to do with being able to message a particular person? You can still go out into the street and say what you want for everyone to hear. So your ability to speak is not impaired. And it's not like politicians have a legal obligation to hear what you say. Let alone listen to it.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33432
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 pm

I don't give out my social media at work, and I would block anyone I didn't want to see what I did online.

User avatar
Mint Jelly
Secretary
 
Posts: 37
Founded: Apr 02, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Mint Jelly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:53 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:My social media, my right to chose who gets to follow me.

The only exception is government officials with their constituents. They shouldn't be able to block them. Because that interferes with the right to free speech.


:(

User avatar
South Odreria 2
Minister
 
Posts: 2924
Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Bruh if you put kpop or anime stuff of yourself all over tiktok there’s no point pretending it isn’t you. If you don’t want real life people to see your stuff don’t put your name or face on it.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Marxist

Join Class Unity maybe

User avatar
Umayyad Hispania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Umayyad Hispania » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:00 pm

You see, as a current high schooler, I don’t use any other social media other than reddit, and here if this counts as a social media. I don’t give my reddit out except to a chosen few of my friends. So, they can’t bully me if they don’t know where to find me
The Umayyad Sultante of All Hispania
Use the Factbooks not NS stats/policies.
The military is an 8-9-7 according to this index.
A tier 6, level 0, type 5 civilization according to this index.
Islamic terrorist organizations pledge their allegiance to the Caliph. Terror attacks on European and Anatolian targets cease, while terrorist forces counter rebels in Iraq. || Allah Save the Caliph!

User avatar
Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12298
Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Umayyad Hispania wrote:You see, as a current high schooler, I don’t use any other social media other than reddit, and here if this counts as a social media. I don’t give my reddit out except to a chosen few of my friends. So, they can’t bully me if they don’t know where to find me

This is the correct answer.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

User avatar
Gonsh
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 7
Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gonsh » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 pm

I follow the policy of keeping irl and the internet separate.

If you don't post your name or face online, people from your life shouldn't be able to find out who you are anyway, and thus you don't have to worry about pesky colleagues finding out your embarrassing hobbies. No need to block people.
I prefer they/them pronouns, but you can call me whatever you want.
I mostly use NS stats.
Gonsh does not necessarily represent my irl views. That being said:
-I am not a very political person
-I am not an very intelligent person
Don't take me too seriously, I sure as hell don't.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33432
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:55 pm

You can block whomever you want to -- people don't have a right to talk to you if you don't want to talk to them.

User avatar
Asle Leopolka
Diplomat
 
Posts: 734
Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Asle Leopolka » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Social media was a mistake.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

User avatar
Umayyad Hispania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Umayyad Hispania » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:21 pm

Most social media was a mistake, at least in my opinion. Being semi-anonymous on sites such as reddit are mostly ok to me.
The Umayyad Sultante of All Hispania
Use the Factbooks not NS stats/policies.
The military is an 8-9-7 according to this index.
A tier 6, level 0, type 5 civilization according to this index.
Islamic terrorist organizations pledge their allegiance to the Caliph. Terror attacks on European and Anatolian targets cease, while terrorist forces counter rebels in Iraq. || Allah Save the Caliph!

User avatar
Vetalia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13357
Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Corporate Bordello

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:Social media was a mistake.


Things like this make me realize how grateful I am social media didn't exist back when I was in high school, let alone earlier. I really don't see any positive contribution from any of that shit, especially the more toxic versions that exist today.

Facebook itself was a novelty when I was a freshman in college in 2006 and even then was pretty tame and unremarkable. The coolest thing back when I was in high school was Gmail, back in the days when you needed an invite to set up an account.
"This was no nuclear war," Eddie said. "This...this..." His thin, horrified voice sounded like that of a child.
"NOPE," Blaine agreed. "IT WAS A LOT WORSE THAN THAT, AND IT'S NOT OVER YET."

User avatar
Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12298
Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:You can block whomever you want to -- people don't have a right to talk to you if you don't want to talk to them.

Right? A moderator of Max Barry's personal father knows best site talks about rights online? :P

Practically, of course, it depends on the site's ToS and tools. Here, of course, nobody can block anybody. They can ignore them, but they can't stop them from reading their posts and responding to them. (Within the limits of Moderation's judgement on stalking and like that.)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33253
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Asle Leopolka wrote:Social media was a mistake.


Things like this make me realize how grateful I am social media didn't exist back when I was in high school, let alone earlier. I really don't see any positive contribution from any of that shit, especially the more toxic versions that exist today.

Facebook itself was a novelty when I was a freshman in college in 2006 and even then was pretty tame and unremarkable. The coolest thing back when I was in high school was Gmail, back in the days when you needed an invite to set up an account.

Yea, I remember those days. Back than everyone used Yahoo mail too. Like Gmail was a new odd thing that came from a boring website that didn't even show you news.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4317
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Elezola wrote:ents from following them on social media?

I have seen, across the internet, many teenagers who say things like "if you go to my school, leave, don't follow me, forget I exist". They say it on apps like TikTok and Twitter. I personally disagree with this policy, I think it is mean. Sure, block bullies, but for example, I have seen some fellow k-pop fans claim to have this policy and I have often thought about how hurt I would be if I went to their school and loved kpop and shared my interests with them but wasn't able to follow thier kpop filled tiktoks because of their policies. They often don't give a reason they just say "don't follow me". Can anyone offer any insights. What are your thoughts.

Sounds to me like the lesson is "don't let kids use the Internet unsupervised."
Last edited by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 105713
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 pm

If you want to be inclusive there is a price to pay.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Kalaron-A
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: May 26, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kalaron-A » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Well, when you live in a world where a single post is liable to start a wave of backlash against you if anyone you know IRL sees it...
I don't blame them, tbh.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anatoliyanskiy, Andsed, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Borderlands of Rojava, Estanglia, Fartsniffage, Ghost Land, Ifreann, Loben III, Nobel Hobos 2, Nuroblav, Prizea, San Lumen, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Holy Therns, The Imperial Britannic State, The New California Republic, The New Nordic Union, The Plough Islands, The Rich Port, Valrifell, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads