NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] - Protect And Swerve

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED] - Protect And Swerve

Postby Candensia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 am

Here's another one. As always, I appreciate your feedback.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant ... 5KMY25RAY/

First Draft

[DRAFT] – Protect And Swerve

[The Issue] – A high-speed police pursuit ended in disaster last night when the suspects suddenly lost control of their vehicle and swerved into incoming traffic, triggering a fatal pileup. The deadly chase has raised questions regarding whether pursuits on the nation's roadways are worth the danger they present to the public.

[issuevalidity] – Must allow cars.

[Option 1] – "Let's cut to the chase," asserts roadway safety official @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Police pursuits are driving @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ into their graves, and they present an unacceptable risk to public safety! A national no-pursuit policy must be imposed, with exceptions only in extreme circumstances, such as to capture suspects involved in violent crimes. Sure, it might embolden petty criminals and demoralize law enforcement, but dead bodies can't be brought to justice."

[effect] - it's too dangerous to pursue stolen golf carts

[Option 2] – "If cops can't tail thugs then why even have police cars!" snaps @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@RANDOMNAME@@, channeling @@HIS@@ frustration into your desk with a truncheon. "A no-pursuit policy only helps criminal lowlifes! Our law enforcement must be trained to end pursuits quickly and forcefully to minimize danger to the community. Drill officers extensively in pursuit-stopping tactics, like high-speed PIT maneuvers, spike strip deployment, and tire sharpshooting. If criminals know escape is impossible, then maybe they won't run to begin with."

[effect] – rim-driving skills are crucial for aspiring car thieves

[Option 3] – "Pursuits are overrated," moans @@RANDOMNAME@@, Director of the Infrastructure Ministry Administration for the Creation of Resources to Eliminate Existing Problems on Roads. "@@NAME@@ should expand urban and suburban street camera networks, and extend roadway surveillance to cover all major highways. We could then track evasive suspects - so long as they aren't in the middle of nowhere - and make arrests when risk to bystanders is low. Besides, we wouldn't need to rob a bank to pay for it, since all that CCTV would let us get away with downsizing the police force."

[effect] – the government always has its eyes on the road

Second Draft

[DRAFT] – Protect And Swerve

[The Issue] – A high-speed police pursuit ended in disaster last night when the suspect suddenly lost control of @@HIS@@ vehicle and swerved into incoming traffic, triggering a fatal pileup. The deadly chase has raised questions regarding whether pursuits on the nation's roadways are worth the danger they present to the public.

[issuevalidity] – Must allow cars.

[Option 1] – "Let's cut to the chase," asserts roadway safety official @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Police pursuits present an unacceptable risk to the general public and drive @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ into their graves! A national no-pursuit policy must be imposed with exceptions only in limited circumstances, such as to capture suspects involved in violent crimes. Sure, it might embolden petty criminals and demoralize law enforcement, but dead bodies can't be brought to justice!"

[Option 2] – "If cops can't tail thugs then why even have police cars!" snaps @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@RANDOMNAME@@, channeling @@HIS@@ frustration into your desk with a truncheon. "No-pursuit policies only help lawbreaking lowlifes! Law enforcement must be trained and equipped to end pursuits quickly- before a fleeing perp can obliterate innocent motorists! Drill officers extensively in forceful, pursuit-stopping tactics like high-speed PIT maneuvers, spike strip deployment, and tire sharpshooting. If criminals know escape is impossible, then maybe they won't run to begin with."

[effect] – car thieves rely heavily on rim-driving skills

[Option 3] – "We can be crime-tough without engaging in trivial pursuits," moans @@RANDOMNAME@@, Director of the Infrastructure Ministry Administration for the Creation of Resources to Eliminate Existing Problems on Roads. "@@NAME@@ should vastly expand urban and suburban street camera networks, and extend roadway surveillance to cover all major highways. We could then track evasive suspects - so long as they aren't in the middle of nowhere - and make arrests when risk to bystanders is low. Wouldn't need to rob a bank to pay for it either, since all that CCTV would let us get away with fewer beat cops on patrol."

[effect] – the government always has its eyes on the road

Current Draft

[DRAFT] Protect And Swerve SUBMITTED 6/13/2020

[The Issue] A high-speed police pursuit ended in disaster last night when the suspect suddenly lost control of @@HIS@@ vehicle and swerved into incoming traffic, triggering a fatal pileup. The deadly chase has raised questions regarding whether pursuits on the nation's roadways are worth the danger they present to the public.

[issuevalidity] Must allow cars.

[Option] "Let's cut to the chase," suggests roadway safety official @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Evidence shows that police pursuits present an unacceptable risk to the general public and drive @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ into their graves! A national no-pursuit policy should be adopted, with reasonable exceptions when authorized by a senior police officer. After all, there's no point in running down the guilty if the innocent are collateral damage."

[effect] the long arm of the law possesses a rather slow hand

[Option] "If cops can't tail thugs then why even have police cars?" complains @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@RANDOMNAME@@, channeling @@HIS@@ frustration into your desk with a truncheon. "Besides, you'd be letting lawbreaking lowlifes escape! LEOs should instead be extensively trained in PIT, TPAC and TVI against GTAs, TWOC and perps DUI, to prevent IRTCs and RTAs. If criminals know escape is impossible, then maybe they won't run to begin with. Do it ASAP!"

[effect] car thieves rely heavily on rim-driving skills

[Option] "Nobody can escape a traffic jam!" declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Interim Director of Infrastructure, Oversight and Traffic at the transportation ministry. "Roadway congestion near vehicle pursuits can be easily manipulated by altering traffic lights or closing roads, ensnaring evasive goons in bumper-to-bumper backups, which all but guarantees quick apprehension by police. Motorists might not appreciate being made into unwitting roadblocks, but why care? If you ask me, the only thing more despicable than a bottleneck is a criminal!"

[effect] it takes a village to catch a criminal
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 am, edited 45 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm

fine with me
Elected Director of the Union of Democratic States

Senior Warden, TGW | Lieutenant, UDSAF
First person to complete the lavenderest collection in Season 3, Best Rarity Collection of 2023 (as voted by the Cardens)
SCR#439, SCR#444, GAR#674, SCR#471, SCR#492, SCR#493, Issue #1622

Sleet: You are a Zionist and think anti-Zionism is anti-semitism. Me: y e s

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:47 pm

This is a great issue. I suggest deleting "otherwise known as IMACREEP" because explaining the joke is not as funny :P
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:40 am

Why not an option to give police tire spikes?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:17 am

Electrum wrote:This is a great issue. I suggest deleting "otherwise known as IMACREEP" because explaining the joke is not as funny :P

I agree. Edited.

Australian rePublic wrote:Why not an option to give police tire spikes?

Option 2 does that. It doesn't explicitly say "give police tire spikes", which I assume are analogues to "spike strips or "stop sticks", but it essentially advocates that viewpoint. That being better equipment and training for the police, of course.
Last edited by Candensia on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:48 am

Draft version updated.

Most changes are simple stylistic tweaks to improve flow.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:44 am

Oh, this is very good. Nice relevant issue that most people (myself included) didn't even consider an issue, but a little research suggests it absolutely is.

[Option 1] – "Let's cut to the chase," asserts roadway safety official @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Police pursuits present an unacceptable risk to the general public and drive @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ into their graves!

I'd tweak it slightly to "Evidence shows that police pursuits...", just to make it clear that this speaker's position is based on statistics, not just a response to this one incident.

A national no-pursuit policy must be imposed with exceptions only in limited circumstances, such as to capture suspects involved in violent crimes.

I'd suggest removing the description of the exceptions, and instead just say:

A general national no-pursuit policy should be adopted, with reasonable exceptions when authorised by a senior police officer.

That's reasonable sounding, for sure, but I don't think it's unreasonable to open reasonably.

Sure, it might embolden petty criminals and demoralize law enforcement, but dead bodies can't be brought to justice!"

This line doesn't work, as its arguing against its own position. I'd suggest making it more in favour of the position. Something like:

"There's no point in running down the guilty if the innocent are collateral damage."

Hmmm.

Maybe something more like:

[effect] gentlemen of the police will walk but never run

or

[effect] the police believe that bad things will come to those who wait

[Option 2] – "If cops can't tail thugs then why even have police cars!" snaps @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@RANDOMNAME@@, channeling @@HIS@@ frustration into your desk with a truncheon.

Question mark rather than an exclamation mark, I think.

"No-pursuit policies only help lawbreaking lowlifes! Law enforcement must be trained and equipped to end pursuits quickly- before a fleeing perp can obliterate innocent motorists! Drill officers extensively in forceful, pursuit-stopping tactics like high-speed PIT maneuvers, spike strip deployment, and tire sharpshooting. If criminals know escape is impossible, then maybe they won't run to begin with."

[effect] – car thieves rely heavily on rim-driving skills

Yeah, seems good. Feels like high-speed PIT maneuvers are not something that a reasonable policeman would suggest though, as they're deployed specifically at low speeds of 35 mph or lower, and specifically avoided at high speed. Plus sharpshooting suggests police have guns, which isn't universal. I'd suggest instead an acronym barrage.

Something like:

"You'd be letting lawbreaking lowlifes escape! LEOs should instead be extensively trained in PIT, TPAC and TVI against GTAs TWOC and perps DUI, to prevent IRTCs and RTAs. If criminals know escape is impossible, then maybe they won't run to begin with. Do it ASAP! "

[Option 3] – "We can be crime-tough without engaging in trivial pursuits," moans @@RANDOMNAME@@, Director of the Infrastructure Ministry Administration for the Creation of Resources to Eliminate Existing Problems on Roads.

DIMACREEPR? I feel like that should mean something.

"@@NAME@@ should vastly expand urban and suburban street camera networks, and extend roadway surveillance to cover all major highways. We could then track evasive suspects - so long as they aren't in the middle of nowhere - and make arrests when risk to bystanders is low. Wouldn't need to rob a bank to pay for it either, since all that CCTV would let us get away with fewer beat cops on patrol."

I don't like this option because it doesn't state an opinion on the pursuits themselves. Are we talking about replacing pursuit, or supplementing pursuit?

Either way, I think its redundant -- its implicit from option 1 that if you institute no-pursuit you'd be looking at other ways to catch and track perps.

Instead, I think you have room for a crazy third option here. Maybe deliberately create city congestion to make vehicular escapes impractical, or something like that?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks CWA!

Draft Version Updated.

Maybe something more like:

[effect] gentlemen of the police will walk but never run

or

[effect] the police believe that bad things will come to those who wait

Hmm, not really feeling those, what about:

[effect] - the long arm of the law possesses a rather slow hand

I'd suggest instead an acronym barrage.

I hadn't considered the acronym angle for option 2, and I think it works quite well, so I'll nab that.

DIMACREEPR? I feel like that should mean something.

I was going for "IMACREEP" as the acronym for option 3, but it didn't work well. I've come up with a new one, IDIOT, and have reworked the option itself.

Thank you for your continued feedback, everyone. :)
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 am

I'm switching this to last call, due to the contest deadline.
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 am

Option 1 - 'Asserts' is used when you say a fact or belief - cutting to the chase is not really a belief/fact that you can assert. I suggest using a different word.

Suggested edits for your last option:
Candensia wrote:"Roadway congestion near vehicle pursuits could can be easily manipulated by altering traffic lights or closing roads, ensnaring evasive goons in bumper-to-bumper backups,- and all but guaranteeing quick apprehension by police. Motorists might not appreciate being made into unwitting roadblocks, but why care? If you ask me, the only thing more despicable than a bottleneck is a criminal!"

(just wanted to add a degree of certainty to this option)
Last edited by Electrum on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:58 am

I'll think over the speaker verb for option 1. I personally think it works, but I'll mull it over some more.

EDIT: Replaced "asserts" with "suggests".

Good calls on option 3. Edited.
Last edited by Candensia on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?