NATION

PASSWORD

[D] Criticism of religion/political ideology

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[D] Criticism of religion/political ideology

Postby New Bremerton » Wed May 27, 2020 10:57 pm

So this issue has been bugging me for some time. I was browsing Moderation and I stumbled upon this thread in which a poster was officially warned for "baiting/trolling" for criticizing Islam using more or less the same kind of wording I would have used off-site. I'm not sure how any of that post could be construed as trolling given that Islam is not a person or group of people, but a set of beliefs that one would expect to be fair game no matter how much certain people may choose to take offense, because facts don't care about their feelings, so they can cry me a river.

There was another thread in NSG about communism that was locked for "baiting/trolling" because the OP and several others, myself included, had some really strong opinions about communism. Because communism is not a religion, I wasn't expecting the mods to intervene like they would've done had the thread been about Islam or Christianity, so it kind of took me by surprise. Are we not allowed to criticize religions or political ideologies anymore?

Is it really trolling to state that a religion or political ideology is responsible for the deaths of millions even if it actually is, or to compare said belief system to Nazism? Zionism is routinely compared to Nazism and Israel to Nazi Germany, and protesters in HK have held up placards comparing the PRC to Nazi Germany and referring to its defenders and apologists as Chinazis. Is all of this considered trolling?

EDIT: Is it trolling to declare that Islam/communism/Nazism etc. should be eradicated/eliminated? Or Zionism, for that matter, or religion as a whole? Since we're talking about the elimination of ideas and not people?
Last edited by New Bremerton on Wed May 27, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Sat May 30, 2020 1:34 am

Two-day bump.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat May 30, 2020 2:35 pm

If you need to bump a discussion thread, then maybe it's just not a topic that needs a discussion.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 31, 2020 6:14 pm

We have said it before, and will say it again: you can criticize an ideology or religion. However, tone is important, and saying "All $Group$ should #something unpleasant#" is unlikely to pass muster as allowed under the rules.

Return to Moderation