NATION

PASSWORD

Why is Leftist Cali poorer than Rightist Texas?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:California and Colorado both have terrible homeless problems. It’s terrible because the urban density in these states is so low, homeless people can literally colonize whole swathes of land in L.A. and Denver. That’s what happens when you build a society around automobiles plus rampant drug use. Tent cities become preferable to shelters. Homelessness is terrible everywhere, of course (except in Cuba maybe where it doesn’t exist), but in these generally fair-weather Western states the conditions are especially optimal for year-round homeless camp formation. I think in colder New York, Philadelphia, and New England, homeless people are much more reliant on the welfare system, and are consequently less of a problem than places where they try to fend for themselves.

Ignoring the humanitarian aspect, why is unused land being host to tent cities a problem?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:California and Colorado both have terrible homeless problems. It’s terrible because the urban density in these states is so low, homeless people can literally colonize whole swathes of land in L.A. and Denver. That’s what happens when you build a society around automobiles plus rampant drug use. Tent cities become preferable to shelters. Homelessness is terrible everywhere, of course (except in Cuba maybe where it doesn’t exist), but in these generally fair-weather Western states the conditions are especially optimal for year-round homeless camp formation. I think in colder New York, Philadelphia, and New England, homeless people are much more reliant on the welfare system, and are consequently less of a problem than places where they try to fend for themselves.

Ignoring the humanitarian aspect, why is unused land being host to tent cities a problem?

“Cities” implies some sort of order to them. They are magnets for dangerous and criminal activity, including violence and sexual assault against other homeless people, which is a very large problem. Homeless people should be in beds with roofs over them in shelters, or at least more protected and orderly spaces than tent cities.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Many if not most of the long-term homeless have serious mental health disorders and should be in institutions, but that’s another story.

For everyone else, it’s a result of a lack of jobs and affordable housing.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Slavakino wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Texas? It’s pretty much a shit hole. Been there and can’t really think of a good thing about it.

Texas is much better in terms of liberty and guns. Only bad thing is quite a bit of illegals and bloody hot.

When you say "liberty and guns" what you really mean is guns. You cats just use "liberty" as a synonym to make "I want my shooty pop pop" sound cooler.

And California even beats Texas in hot as it is the location of the hottest recorded temperature at 134.1 in Furnace Creek. Texas can't even out hot us. But they get slightly more pew pew...aw, look at that.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:13 pm

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news ... 276579.php

Meanwhile, “rightist Texans” are shooting themselves at “Go Topless Jeep” rallies in violation of social distancing during the pandemic...

“As we were heading that, we heard a bunch of sirens,” he said. “People were running at us away from the scene saying someone had been shot…When we got up there, we saw it was a chaotic scene. There were two people on the ground and (first responders) were working on them. At the same, they are having to do crowd control, because they have a lot guys out there who are family and friends of the victims and they are flipping out.”

Simpkins, who is from the Dallas area, said he, his wife and young daughter came to Crystal Beach for a vacation.
“Once we got down here, the person next to us told us it was going to be a crazy weekend,” he said. “I thought we could handle that. We’ve traveled everywhere. It started as one, long row of cars. Then, it was two rows of cars going in the same direction. Then, there were people cutting in and out of people. Then, it was three rows going both directions. You have people honking at each other and people walking. People were [defecating] behind our RV. It was crazy. A lot of underage drinking. We had no idea.”

Imagine being a first responder ready for Covid-19 and having to respond to that.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:32 am

Well California has a far worse homeless problem than Texas. Six times as many people ... as far as anyone knows.

But the ratio might not be that bad. California's policy (bad policy it turns out) of allowing "homeless zones" makes the homeless visible and countable. You can identify them as homeless because they have a tent (etc). Homelessness in Texas might be more hidden: people are not so visibly homeless if they keep getting moved on by police.

In case you're thinking I don't know what I'm talking about, I have been homeless myself. After six months imposing on friends to sleep on their couches (soft homelessness) I ran out of those kind of friends and had to live outdoors for a while (hard homelessness). I always tried to find a place to sleep where NO-ONE could see me, though it often meant hiking into the bush. I have some good memories of that time, but don't think I'm saying homeless people all had the options I did. I never had to sleep on a city pavement, it must really suck.

One final point, I did my best never to let the government know I was homeless. I'd keep a mailing address instead of using a post office, to get my cheques. Yes I was unemployed, and by cheque was the only way government paid then. I don't know, maybe they'd help me more if they knew I was homeless, but I didn't trust them much. I thought if they knew they would deny me any payments at all.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue May 26, 2020 6:04 am

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/2-injured-in-shooting-more-than-120-unrelated-15276579.php

Meanwhile, “rightist Texans” are shooting themselves at “Go Topless Jeep” rallies in violation of social distancing during the pandemic...

“As we were heading that, we heard a bunch of sirens,” he said. “People were running at us away from the scene saying someone had been shot…When we got up there, we saw it was a chaotic scene. There were two people on the ground and (first responders) were working on them. At the same, they are having to do crowd control, because they have a lot guys out there who are family and friends of the victims and they are flipping out.”

Simpkins, who is from the Dallas area, said he, his wife and young daughter came to Crystal Beach for a vacation.
“Once we got down here, the person next to us told us it was going to be a crazy weekend,” he said. “I thought we could handle that. We’ve traveled everywhere. It started as one, long row of cars. Then, it was two rows of cars going in the same direction. Then, there were people cutting in and out of people. Then, it was three rows going both directions. You have people honking at each other and people walking. People were [defecating] behind our RV. It was crazy. A lot of underage drinking. We had no idea.”

Imagine being a first responder ready for Covid-19 and having to respond to that.

Who would have thought that right wingers with guns gathering in one place would lead to a shooting? You mean beer and firearms don't go well together?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu May 28, 2020 6:50 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/2-injured-in-shooting-more-than-120-unrelated-15276579.php

Who would have thought that right wingers with guns gathering in one place would lead to a shooting?

Ralph Northam
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General