NATION

PASSWORD

Aircraft Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Aircraft Discussion Thread

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 pm

A thread for gearheads and aviation enthusiasts to discuss aircraft. So what are your favorite or least favorite aircraft? What about them interests you?

Ever since my childhood, I have always been fascinated by airplanes. My dad used to buy me a lot of model airplanes to make when I was kid and my mom often bought me books about them. I would say that overall my favorite airplane is the Lockheed L-1011 Tristar. It was a beautiful plane and it was so ahead of its time. It's autopilot was so advanced that the plane could even land by itself in zero-viability conditions which was unheard of when it came out in the late 1960s. It also had good safety record, too. When I was a kid I actually had the privilege of flying on one. Sadly, now there is only one L-1011 that is still airworthy and it is only used for aerospace research purposes. Modern airplanes I find interesting include the Airbus A340, A350, Boeing 747, B777, B787, and the Ilyushin Il-96.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Finally a thread for me!

I have varying interests. The most fun plane I ever flew was the extra 300. Oh I loved that plane. Extreme ailerons, huge rudder, the controls were like an extension of your arm.

Aerobatic fuel tank with a weighted inlet. Inlet follows the fuel. No matter your orientation, or effective gravity (up to +/- 10Gs), it would follow your every movement forever.
Last edited by Galloism on Sat May 23, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Galloism wrote:Finally a thread for me!

I have varying interests. The most fun plane I ever flew was the extra 300. Oh I loved that plane. Extreme ailerons, huge rudder, the controls were like an extension of your arm.

Aerobatic fuel tank with a weighted inlet. Inlet follows the fuel. No matter your orientation, or effective gravity (up to +/- 10Gs), it would follow your every movement forever.

Those things are wild! :D
China lied, people died!

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 pm

f in the chat for the boeing 2707 :(
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 23, 2020 10:31 pm

Senkaku wrote:f in the chat for the boeing 2707 :(

It was an interesting concept, but too expensive to pursue further development. Too bad since it would have easily put the Concorde to shame.
China lied, people died!

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Senkaku wrote:f in the chat for the boeing 2707 :(

It was an interesting concept, but too expensive to pursue further development. Too bad since it would have easily put the Concorde to shame.

Except that Concorde got hamstrung by US legislators being spiteful that it succeeded where the 2707 failed. And that was before the oil crisis.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Finally a perfect thread for me! Anyway, I've got to say that my favorite plane has got to be the Saab J 35D. It's sleak lines, crazy performance, and timless silhouette are near addictive to look at. And the best part is the stare people would give you when you tell them you own a J 35D.

Sadly, they cost several million dollars and are a nightmare to fly and maintain compared to a humble Cessna or Mooney.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am

Vassenor wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Except that Concorde got hamstrung by US legislators being spiteful that it succeeded where the 2707 failed. And that was before the oil crisis.

Your history is a bit off, said concerns regarding sonic booms helped kill the 2707.
It was not something done just screw the Concord. Also it was the post 9-11 decline in flights that killed it. The oil crisis was not the real issue, as it went out at time when oil prices were low.

The biggest problem was it went some 15 times over budget, resulting only in a few getting built,
That and that it was so hard to maintain.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun May 24, 2020 12:16 am

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Your history is a bit off, said concerns regarding sonic booms helped kill the 2707.
It was not something done just screw the Concord. Also it was the post 9-11 decline in flights that killed it. The oil crisis was not the real issue, as it went out at time when oil prices were low.

The biggest problem was it went some 15 times over budget, resulting only in a few getting built,

You do realise there's been more than one Oil Crisis, right? I'm talking about the '73 crisis that slashed the order books down to the national carriers.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 24, 2020 12:34 am

Vassenor wrote:
Novus America wrote:

You do realise there's been more than one Oil Crisis, right? I'm talking about the '73 crisis that slashed the order books down to the national carriers.

Yes, but considering the Concord flew a full 30 decades after the 73 crisis, that cannot be alone blamed. The fact it went 15 times over budget in the first place just as much was a cause in not building more. The development costs and maintenance costs were always a major problem.

The fact is while outside events played a role (but if you aircraft cannot adapt to changing conditions that in itself is problematic) Concord apologists are quick to blame others rather than admit the Concord program was poorly run and flawed from the beginning.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Yes, but considering the Concord flew a full 30 decades after the 73 crisis, that cannot be alone blamed. The fact it went 15 times over budget in the first place just as much was a cause in not building more. The development costs and maintenance costs were always a major problem.

The fact is while outside events played a role (but if you aircraft cannot adapt to changing conditions that in itself is problematic) Concord apologists are quick to blame others rather than admit the Concord program was poorly run and flawed from the beginning.

Also didn't help that supersonic flights over populated areas is a bad idea.
China lied, people died!

Transadhea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Transadhea » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

The aircraft i like is very out of date.
(WWI)
Унитарная Республика Беларусь - Латвия
Unitarnaya Respublika Belarus' - Latviya
The Unitary Republic of Belarus - Latvia
|Overview|
Transadhean Embassy Program
We're located IRL Belarus and Latvia

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 am

I don't understand the appeal of the Concord. Why would one want to shorten the time in which they can take advantage of the alcohol their ticket paid for?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am

Kubra wrote:I don't understand the appeal of the Concord. Why would one want to shorten the time in which they can take advantage of the alcohol their ticket paid for?

It had a cruising altitude of 60,000 ft and a cruising speed of 1,150 knots :)
China lied, people died!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 am

Green October Z wrote:
Kubra wrote:I don't understand the appeal of the Concord. Why would one want to shorten the time in which they can take advantage of the alcohol their ticket paid for?

which effectively limits you to a couple drinks *or less*.
That's no good, that is.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 am

Kubra wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
which effectively limits you to a couple drinks *or less*.
That's no good, that is.

The speed, altitude, and prestige more than make up for that :p
China lied, people died!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 24, 2020 1:10 am

Green October Z wrote:
Kubra wrote: which effectively limits you to a couple drinks *or less*.
That's no good, that is.

bollocks, for the same price you can go business for your transatlantic and spend a few hours in comfort, rather than paying a couple thousand for a glorified bus ride.
Comrade J. Posadas

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 24, 2020 1:10 am

Green October Z wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Also didn't help that supersonic flights over populated areas is a bad idea.

That was the same problem that killed the 2707. The rich using supersonic booms over populated areas was never going to be popular. The public is unlikely to support something that harms them that they cannot even use.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 24, 2020 1:12 am

Kubra wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
bollocks, for the same price you can go business for your transatlantic and spend a few hours in comfort, rather than paying a couple thousand for a glorified bus ride.

Why bother flying when you can just take a cruise ship, then?
China lied, people died!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 am

Green October Z wrote:
Kubra wrote: which effectively limits you to a couple drinks *or less*.
That's no good, that is.

And the free champagne.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 am

Vassenor wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

And the free champagne.

None of which you would ever experience as it was only for the very wealthy.
That was part of the image problem it had.

It was impressive from a technology stand point but did not serve any real needed purpose for most people.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 24, 2020 1:27 am

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And the free champagne.

It was impressive from a technology stand point but did not serve any real needed purpose for most people.

Enter the Tu-144, which was a motherfucking nightmare!
China lied, people died!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 am

Green October Z wrote:
Kubra wrote: bollocks, for the same price you can go business for your transatlantic and spend a few hours in comfort, rather than paying a couple thousand for a glorified bus ride.

Why bother flying when you can just take a cruise ship, then?
because the ticket includes airport lounge admission
Comrade J. Posadas

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 24, 2020 2:16 am

Green October Z wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Enter the Tu-144, which was a motherfucking nightmare!

The Concord comes with free champagne, the Tu-144 with a free coffin. :twisted:

Apparently riding that thing was so painful you would have to be paying passengers to ride it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General