NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Misadventure is Out There!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cassthellum
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Misadventure is Out There!

Postby Cassthellum » Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm

The Issue
@@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a gubernatorial candidate for the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ state of West Brancaland, had the idea of promoting her election with the first ever campaign blimp in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ history. Regrettably, though, a political extremist popped it using a high-powered, precision rifle from the balcony of a West Brancaland City hotel room. The pilot is alive, thank Violet.

Option 1
A Shonda Civic bearing anti-gun bumper stickers pulls alongside your office window, which is promptly opened by its driver, @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@. "This is exactly the danger I've devoted my career to exposing! Do you know the ease with which a madman can purchase a firearm like that? I propose we ban all firearms with a cheek pad, a free-floating hand grip, and mandate that gun-owners in buildings over 5 stories tall acquire 4 phases of licenses.

Option 2
"Am I the only one who sees guilt in all the right places?" shamelessly gloats West Brancaland's other gubernatorial candidate, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@. "I think the blimp's pilot is at fault for flying at an altitude in range of @@NAME@@'s weapons. I propose we move our entire airspace further up in the sky to avoid such surface-to-air acts of herois- er- terrorism."

Option 3
At that moment, a spectacled, elderly man in judge clothes who purports to be the prosecutor general of Hazzard County, @@NAME@@ (despite no such county existing) enters with an air of calm. "I think," he begins, "that this problem could have been avoided by better-enforcing the laws we already have. The cops should've been present to ensure the man entering said hotel had a Concealed Weapons Permit like the sign on its façade says. Likewise, fine pilots who fly below @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ airspace. Of course, that's just me." He ended by adjusting his tie, looking smug.

Option 4
Appearing in your opposite office window is a hulking Fjörd F-150, driven by a certain @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a resident of @@NAME@@'s most redneck state, Missississippippi. "Y'all kiddin' me? You wanna take our guns so you lib'ruls c'n strangle us witch yo heavy-hand guv'ment? I don't think so! Ya know what? All dem parties oughta have paramilitary wings so dey c'n protect 'emselves!"
Last edited by Cassthellum on Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Mon May 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Cassthellum wrote:Feel free to steal this. I won't have 500 million people to submit this by the June 14 deadline to maybe become editor. Maybe one of you can by submitting this.

You only need 250 million to submit an issue, and you are already past that.

Cassthellum wrote:The Issue
@@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a gubernatorial candidate for the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ state of West Brancaland, had the idea of promoting her election with the first ever campaign blimp in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ history. Regrettably, though, a political extremist popped it using a high-powered, precision rifle from the balcony of a West Brancaland City hotel room. The pilot is alive, thank Violet.

Option 1
A Shonda Civic bearing anti-gun bumper stickers pulls alongside your office window, which is promptly opened by its driver, @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@. "This is exactly the danger I've devoted my career to exposing! Do you know the ease with which a madman can purchase a firearm like that? I propose we ban all firearms with a cheek pad, a free-floating hand grip, and mandate that gun-owners in buildings over 5 stories tall acquire 4 phases of licenses.

Option 2
"Am I the only one who sees guilt in all the right places?" shamelessly gloats West Brancaland's other gubernatorial candidate, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@. "I think the blimp's pilot is at fault for flying at an altitude in range of @@NAME@@'s weapons. I propose we move our entire airspace further up in the sky to avoid such surface-to-air acts of herois- er- terrorism."

Option 3
At that moment, a spectacled, elderly man in judge clothes who purports to be the prosecutor general of Hazzard County, @@NAME@@ (despite no such county existing) enters with an air of calm. "I think," he begins, "that this problem could have been avoided by better-enforcing the laws we already have. The cops should've been present to ensure the man entering said hotel had a Concealed Weapons Permit like the sign on its façade says. Likewise, fine pilots who fly below @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ airspace. Of course, that's just me." He ended by adjusting his tie, looking smug.

Option 4
Appearing in your opposite office window is a hulking Fjörd F-150, driven by a certain @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a resident of @@NAME@@'s most redneck state, Missississippippi. "Y'all kiddin' me? You wanna take our guns so you lib'ruls c'n strangle us witch yo heavy-hand guv'ment? I don't think so! Ya know what? All dem parties oughta have paramilitary wings so dey c'n protect 'emselves!"

This type of gun control issue has been done many times before. Just search for gun in this thread and you'll find over 90 issues with gun in the title alone.

The setup with the blimp and the car names make this rather unique and entertaining, but I don't think the heart of the dilemma and the options as currently written are novel enough on their own to justify repeating a lot of other gun issues.

Additionally, you'll want to add a validity, I'd recommend the following:
Validity: Must be a democracy, must allow airplanes, and decently high weaponization

You also need to add effect lines for each option. Look at other drafts for some examples.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 19, 2020 5:36 am

Who says name has a state called Western Bracenland? Who says that name doesn't have an east coast?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:09 am

The premise of a campaign blimp being shot down is very entertaining. However its worth having a look at this sticky here...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=424657

...which will teach you the correct format and style sought for issues.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?