NATION

PASSWORD

Extraterrestrial Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Does extraterrestrial life exist?

Yes, and most life sustaining worlds will host intelligent life
10
29%
Yes, but it will most likely be as the OP said
21
60%
No
4
11%
 
Total votes : 35

User avatar
Green October Z
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1012
Founded: May 05, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Extraterrestrial Discussion Thread

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 16, 2020 11:38 pm

So do you or do you not believe in extraterrestrials? Given the fact that there are around 100 billion planetary systems (solar systems) in the Milky Way galaxy alone and the fact that there are billions of galaxies in the universe, I think that it is practically guaranteed that there are other planets out there which have the necessary amount of water, carbon composition, and atmospheric conditions to support the development of life forms. Therefore, I believe that extraterrestrial life exists. But, that is not to say that I believe in UFO's and aliens visiting earth. I believe that the extraterrestrial life on other planets is mostly limited to single celled organisms and plant life on most inhabited planets. The few cases of life sustaining planets that have more complex life forms will also most likely be just limited to non-sentient primitive animals with a much smaller number perhaps hosting intelligent sentient life. However, even in the majority of these cases I imagine that said life would most likely have primitive technology in comparison to our own with only a few of such civilizations having technology comparable to or greater than our own.

So what are your thoughts on extraterrestrials?
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

User avatar
Kafair
Envoy
 
Posts: 318
Founded: Apr 01, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kafair » Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm

I personally think that there may be one or two races of "advanced" beings out there, sort of like humans, but not as advanced, maybe still tribal or slightly ahead of that. Of course they'd look different, but I think the idea of bipedal 4 limbs one head would still be present, if different in size and shape. But no, I dont think there is a massive space empire out there just waiting to pounce on us when we get off world.
"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood." -Otto von Bismarck, first Chancellor of Germany
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." -Karl Marx
"History is written by the victors." -Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------|--------------------------------------------^--------------------------------------
--------O-----------------------------------------< O >------------------------------------
--------|-----------------------------------------\_[]__/-----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IRL History Buff, More or Less just the Desert, nation is a Theocratic Monarchy, in which the word of the Sultan is law. PMT tech
I SUPPORT THE USE OF SWORDS IN MY MILITARY, DEAL WITH IT
The first president of the Azure Watester Federation! Join today!
NS Stats? Dont make me laugh!
NationStates Flag Bracket - 5th place!

User avatar
Green October Z
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1012
Founded: May 05, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 16, 2020 11:46 pm

Kafair wrote:I personally think that there may be one or two races of "advanced" beings out there, sort of like humans, but not as advanced, maybe still tribal or slightly ahead of that. Of course they'd look different, but I think the idea of bipedal 4 limbs one head would still be present, if different in size and shape. But no, I dont think there is a massive space empire out there just waiting to pounce on us when we get off world.


It would be interesting if there was a Galactic Empire :D
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

User avatar
Albrenia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12518
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 am

The existence of alien life is as close to certain as something can be without any solid proof. There's just so much room out there, so many ways it could come to be, and every chance that the universe could be teeming with life...

Unfortunately even just our galaxy is so huge that even if it has multiple intelligent species in it alone we may never come across them. Other galaxies are effectively outside of our ability to reach in any time frame which is not many hundreds of thousands of years away (probably).

I suspect microbial life will be extremely common, but more advanced life extremely rare by comparison. Intelligent civilisations are likely very rare indeed.

User avatar
Grimmsland
Envoy
 
Posts: 247
Founded: Dec 17, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Grimmsland » Sun May 17, 2020 1:10 am

I don't believe in them, I hope for them. But this according to my Pentecostal in-laws definition of their faith(*) means I actually do believe in them. I disagree.

(*)Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

edit: actually .. maybe I just don't understand this verse. Substance means? Evidence means?
Last edited by Grimmsland on Sun May 17, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Region of Dwipantara
Envoy
 
Posts: 203
Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 1:24 am

The evolution from primates to human in Africa necessitates pretty specific ecological condition, namely, when the land start drying up into plains/savannahs and the tree-dwelling primates must start adapting to the new ecosystem. And before that, the meteorite must wipe the dinosaurs for good, and before that, multicellular life must evolve first, and before that, the chromosome and mitochondrial endosymbiosis must happen first, and before that, the ATP-producing bacterial mitochondrion (or substitute) must evolve first. We are lucky – after all, earth spends hundreds of millions of years without a species as advanced as us, and literal billions waiting for multicellular life to evolve.

Meanwhile, as we see in the Americas and Africa, we also need domesticable animals in order to progress into a civilization. Lacking that, and the species is doomed. The horse is one of the best example – originating in North America, it nearly didn't make it at migrating across the Bering strait. But they do, and humans are significantly enhaced.

All in all, I think the existence of intelligence life are very very slim, and likely won't exist even in our galaxy. Bacteria however evolves from extreme conditions and plenty still live on extreme conditions, so they might not be as hard to find.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Caliphate – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact


This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and make Dwipantara merdeka again! ^OwO^
Selasa, 1418-DZQ-02 / Tuesday, 1998-MAR-03 CAKRAWALA NEWS | N.U. published fatwa declaring anyone who likes to 'brand other people as apostate' as apostate | Health Chief Najsir contracted MERS after experimentation with his alternative "Islamic medicine" made of "camel derivative"

Featured article: Revolutionary Songs | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on Cakrawala

User avatar
Region of Dwipantara
Envoy
 
Posts: 203
Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 1:29 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:The evolution from primates to human in Africa necessitates pretty specific ecological condition, namely, when the land start drying up into plains/savannahs and the tree-dwelling primates must start adapting to the new ecosystem. And before that, the meteorite must wipe the dinosaurs for good, and before that, multicellular life must evolve first, and before that, the chromosome and mitochondrial endosymbiosis must happen first, and before that, the ATP-producing bacterial mitochondrion (or substitute) must evolve first. We are lucky – after all, earth spends hundreds of millions of years without a species as advanced as us, and literal billions waiting for multicellular life to evolve.

Meanwhile, as we see in the Americas and Africa, we also need domesticable animals in order to progress into a civilization. Lacking that, and the species is doomed. The horse is one of the best example – originating in North America, it nearly didn't make it at migrating across the Bering strait. But they do, and humans are significantly enhaced.

All in all, I think the existence of intelligence life are very very slim, and likely won't exist even in our galaxy. Bacteria however evolves from extreme conditions and plenty still live on extreme conditions, so they might not be as hard to find.

Though, the case of Suminia – a synapsid who evolved opposable thumbs that exist before the dinosaur (and went extinct by the time of the Permian mass extinction) represents an intriguing case that our evolution might not be as unlikely as it is.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Caliphate – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact


This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and make Dwipantara merdeka again! ^OwO^
Selasa, 1418-DZQ-02 / Tuesday, 1998-MAR-03 CAKRAWALA NEWS | N.U. published fatwa declaring anyone who likes to 'brand other people as apostate' as apostate | Health Chief Najsir contracted MERS after experimentation with his alternative "Islamic medicine" made of "camel derivative"

Featured article: Revolutionary Songs | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on Cakrawala

User avatar
Green October Z
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1012
Founded: May 05, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:The evolution from primates to human in Africa necessitates pretty specific ecological condition, namely, when the land start drying up into plains/savannahs and the tree-dwelling primates must start adapting to the new ecosystem. And before that, the meteorite must wipe the dinosaurs for good, and before that, multicellular life must evolve first, and before that, the chromosome and mitochondrial endosymbiosis must happen first, and before that, the ATP-producing bacterial mitochondrion (or substitute) must evolve first. We are lucky – after all, earth spends hundreds of millions of years without a species as advanced as us, and literal billions waiting for multicellular life to evolve.

Meanwhile, as we see in the Americas and Africa, we also need domesticable animals in order to progress into a civilization. Lacking that, and the species is doomed. The horse is one of the best example – originating in North America, it nearly didn't make it at migrating across the Bering strait. But they do, and humans are significantly enhaced.

All in all, I think the existence of intelligence life are very very slim, and likely won't exist even in our galaxy. Bacteria however evolves from extreme conditions and plenty still live on extreme conditions, so they might not be as hard to find.

Though, the case of Suminia – a synapsid who evolved opposable thumbs that exist before the dinosaur (and went extinct by the time of the Permian mass extinction) represents an intriguing case that our evolution might not be as unlikely as it is.


Interesting
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43146
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 17, 2020 10:58 am

Yeah i reckon aliens exist. I think its pretty much guaranteed given the size of our galaxy let alone the universe. No idea what they may look like or if we could interact with them at all should we ever meet them.

Who knows what Intellects, vast and unsympathetic, regard our world with envious eyes.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scary Spooky Leftist #19879417 An Atheist Irishman from Belfast Loyal to Dragonstone and the King in the Narrow Sea
Yeh: The Red Agenda, Purging the Xenos, Not being a prick, Vidya Gaemz, Art, Science, History, Old Gregg, Blondes, Redheads, Tattooed girls, Erecting fortifications, Tanks.
Neh: The Blue Agenda, Being a prick, Xenos, Racism, National/Religious wankery, Zealots, Gatekeeping, Alt-right/SJW Snowflakes, Random lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Cabbage.

User avatar
Qabea
Envoy
 
Posts: 240
Founded: Apr 03, 2020
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Qabea » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 am

Extraterrestrial Discussion Thread... When is someone going to post the pictures of Ayys that get 4chan threads shut down?
REPUBLIC of QABEA
A well developed and cultured MT francophone republic spanning the Fertile Crescent.
Nationalist & Progressive Republican from the Deep South

Pronouns: He/Him

Pro: Cultural nationalism, Free college, Free speech, GMO labeling, Gun rights, Labor, Medical marijuana, Populism, Protectionism, Secularism, Universal basic income, Universal healthcare
Neutral: Abortion rights, Green politics, LGBTQ+ rights, Religious freedom
Anti: Affirmative action, Big corporations, Globalism, Immigration, Imperialism, Interventionism, Islamic extremism, Neoconservatism, Neoliberalism, Recreational marijuana, Zionism

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5454
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am

Probably exists somewhere.

Probably doesn't kidnap rednecks for weird sex.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
La Paz de Los Ricos
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 370
Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Yeah i reckon aliens exist. I think its pretty much guaranteed given the size of our galaxy let alone the universe. No idea what they may look like or if we could interact with them at all should we ever meet them.

Who knows what Intellects, vast and unsympathetic, regard our world with envious eyes.


Not to worry, any alien invasion will be limited to America, so the vast majority of humanity will be safe.

I mean, that's what the movies say, so it's gotta be true!
Back to space we go! Thanks Bob and Doug!
▲ - The Treangolist Triultarchy of La Paz de Los Ricos -▲
OVERVIEW HISTORY CULTURE LEGISLATION


Caught in an international scramble for the solar system sometime in the 27th century, I have decided.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16997
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 am

I've heard some odd stories that make me wonder, but I am an agnostic on whether aliens have visited earth. Ufos are definitely real and some of them are not normal airplanes or birds, like one that chased me and a friend of mine two years ago.
political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
pro: marijuana, gun rights, private property

anti: fascism, communism, islamism, sexism, pan africanism, La raza, Warren Police Department (and most of the other police departments of metro Detroit except for Auburn Hills. They're aight), gun control, trump, obama, bush, clinton, reagan, carter, chipotle and snotty in crowd teens. Ugh I can't deal with them
Hurdergaryp wrote:Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.


Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/invites/conta ... ent=82zr2h

User avatar
Kathol Rift
Envoy
 
Posts: 329
Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kathol Rift » Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am

Neanderthaland wrote:Probably exists somewhere.

Probably doesn't kidnap rednecks for weird sex.

Well, if they were going to kidnap someone for that, a redneck is the best choice, because everybody would write it off as “just another crazy redneck,” and nobody would believe it. Just saying.
| A nation that tries not to be imperialistic, it’s just so hard sometimes... | I do use NS stats | the three B’s: Big Military, Big Robot Birds, Big Tanks |

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 139119
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 am

The size of the universe is such that I would expect every possible form of life to exist somewhere. It would be unlikely in the extreme, though not impossible, for this to be the only planet with civilisations.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Coughing Etiquette That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Alart
Secretary
 
Posts: 30
Founded: May 17, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alart » Sun May 17, 2020 2:18 pm

The universe is a big place. We probably aren't the only planet with life.

User avatar
Diopolis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16023
Founded: May 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Diopolis » Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 pm

If there is aliens, they're likely to be reflexively hostile and attempt to exterminate us before making contact.
Trad-Catholic, hispanophile Texan distributist and paleoconservative.
Economic left -3.88, authoritarian 6.15
Thoughts
Abortion is not healthcare.
St Generalissimo Francisco Franco, pray for president Trump!

User avatar
Merther
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 160
Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merther » Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Green October Z wrote:So do you or do you not believe in extraterrestrials? Given the fact that there are around 100 billion planetary systems (solar systems) in the Milky Way galaxy alone and the fact that there are billions of galaxies in the universe, I think that it is practically guaranteed that there are other planets out there which have the necessary amount of water, carbon composition, and atmospheric conditions to support the development of life forms. Therefore, I believe that extraterrestrial life exists. But, that is not to say that I believe in UFO's and aliens visiting earth. I believe that the extraterrestrial life on other planets is mostly limited to single celled organisms and plant life on most inhabited planets. The few cases of life sustaining planets that have more complex life forms will also most likely be just limited to non-sentient primitive animals with a much smaller number perhaps hosting intelligent sentient life. However, even in the majority of these cases I imagine that said life would most likely have primitive technology in comparison to our own with only a few of such civilizations having technology comparable to or greater than our own.

So what are your thoughts on extraterrestrials?


There are definitely planets with life out there, and unicellular life is far more common than what we think so it doesn't really help us when we're looking for proper aliens, but I think that when people talk about "aliens" they forget the fact that it can also mean animals. Like dogs. Just dogs from another planet. Intelligent life like ours is far, far less unlikely to appear as we have incredibly perfect conditions for life on earth to be, however if there is alien intelligent life I doubt they would look really different than us. I also don't think they would be Hostile.

Also, our Universe is very young. Think of it as a foetus. Life, planets, solar systems, galaxies...They are abnormal. Normality in the Universe is the void. This is how things are, eventually objects with the biggest mass will inevitably consume everything, and our Universe will be filled with black holes. Even these, in a thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years will fade away as their photons decay. And then time and space will end. And the Universe will be an adult, so to speak.

We are most probably the only instance of intelligent life to have achieved this level of tecnology so far. I believe we are litteral pioneers.
Merther is not a nation, but the name of a fictional lifeless planet. Please check the "What is Merther ?" factbook for further information. https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mer ... ok/id=main
Note that you cannot interact diplomatically with Merther as it is an inanimate object. When I type something, it is me, the player, typing.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 104294
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Yeah i reckon aliens exist. I think its pretty much guaranteed given the size of our galaxy let alone the universe. No idea what they may look like or if we could interact with them at all should we ever meet them.

Who knows what Intellects, vast and unsympathetic, regard our world with envious eyes.

Hyperspace bypass.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Green October Z
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1012
Founded: May 05, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Yeah i reckon aliens exist. I think its pretty much guaranteed given the size of our galaxy let alone the universe. No idea what they may look like or if we could interact with them at all should we ever meet them.

Who knows what Intellects, vast and unsympathetic, regard our world with envious eyes.

Hyperspace bypass.


I read the many scientists actually believe that faster-than-light travel is possible.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 104926
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Hyperspace bypass.


I read the many scientists actually believe that faster-than-light travel is possible.

Apparent faster-than-light travel ...
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Jedi Council
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1199
Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Anarchy

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Alien life is almost a mathematically certainty.

What kind of life is up for debate.
"We Are Keepers of the Peace, Not Soldiers"
Add 5531 Posts
Social Liberal, Atheist/Anti-Theist, Internationalist

User avatar
Agarntrop
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6405
Founded: May 14, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Agarntrop » Sun May 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Its very likely, but not certain.

We once proved extraterrestrial life on Mars in the 70s iirc but the test kits used were found to be innacurate
Join NS Parliament, a P2TM political RP with endless possibilities!
My Character is Susilo Sri (UCP-BOSCHSTAD SOUTH)

I am Lawful Neutral


Soft Left Social Democratic Labour Party Supporter (UK), Pragmatic Progressive Democrat (US)

Sanders 2020 Maybe Biden now? idrk
Views

Join NS P2TM's pre-eminent US politics RP!
Land of the Free
Representative John Atang (D-NY-03)
Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)
Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)
Fmr. Acting Secretary for Homeland Security Tara Misra (R-KY)

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 104294
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
I read the many scientists actually believe that faster-than-light travel is possible.

Apparent faster-than-light travel ...

I would have gone with vogon poetry myownself.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Island Zero
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Mar 08, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Island Zero » Sun May 17, 2020 4:25 pm

I think aliens are real and I'm fearful of them. It could be possible that there are no other alien creatures that are as advanced as humans. It could be possible that they all died before humans rose. It's nothing we can be sure about. The concept of humans being alone is terrifying, but so is the concept of humans not being alone.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alt-Right Death Squads, An Alan Smithee Nation, Dazchan, Dresderstan, Elwher, Enormous Gentiles, Ethel mermania, Fartsniffage, Gravlen, Heloin, Liriena, Ngelmish, Novus America, Rainsfield, Sodorland, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads