NATION

PASSWORD

US States names and shapes: What would you change?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Your opinion on US States?

1: They're just fine
19%
2: Some changes could be made
52%
3: They're horrific
18%
4: No opinion/why is this even a matter of discussion?
12%

Total votes : 176

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

US States names and shapes: What would you change?

Postby Asardia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I've been thinking about the map of the United States recently, and I felt an unnerving sense of shame. Some states are just plain ugly. I'm not talking about the people or the governments, but merely the map shape alongside the names. To begin with, let's take the state of Mississippi. I personally am of the belief that the shape is one of the ugliest in the nation. And not only that, but the name is overly complicated. I have never seen a word with that many "s"s in it before. In fact, I've never seen a word with that many repeating letters.

Next on the name list: Arkansas. It's pronounced "are-can-saw" but it's spelled like it should be pronounced as "are-kansas", which is frankly ridiculous! Personally, I would be fine with renaming the state Arkansaw.

Then you have states whose names and shapes are just...dull. They're not horrific by any means, but there's nothing special about them. For example: Georgia, and literally any other state with the name "new" in it. They're alright. North and South Carolina also fall into the same boat. And going back to maps, pretty much any state in the west. Colorado and Wyoming look the exact same. The same goes for North and South Dakota, which are quite frankly, duplicates of each other.

And after that, we have the cool states. Alaska; the most beautiful state name. And the shape is p r i s t i n e. Whenever I lose faith in humanity, I think about the glorious state of Alaska. There's also Nebraska, which coincidently rhymes with Alaska. Michigan and New York both have cool borders. North Carolina and Virginia also look majestic.

But on the flip side, Maryland is even uglier than Mississippi! It gives me Holy Roman Empire vibes, which is enough to give any person the shivers. Some of these states could go with unification. I propose that Alabama and Mississippi combine to form "Greater Alabama", or maybe we can take a Native American tribe name if they're cool with it.

So, my fellow humans. What are your thoughts on the US? Are there any states whose names or borders you would like to see changed? Obviously, none of these proposals are going to occur anytime soon, but it's nice to think about it. At least it is for me.

Last edited by Asardia on Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Tue May 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Add southern Virginia to both Kentucky & North Carolina.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Talking about boring shapes and you're not gonna mention Wyoming and Colorado? What?

Also please have mercy one of Alabama's few saving graces is that we're not Mississippi.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 pm

-Astoria wrote:Add southern Virginia to both Kentucky & North Carolina.

I could be fine with this. If we take that little corridor between Tennessee and West Virginia, and give it to Kentucky, it would be great. North Carolina's borders could be pushed up, but then that leaves us with a little ball of a state for Virginia. Virginia would need to absorb WV to maintain balance.

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Get rid of all states and replace them with a square grid across the whole country. If you're going to have a theme then stick to it dammit!

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 pm

I don't know "Arkansaw" just looks weird spelled that way... I prefer Arkansas.
Last edited by Aeritai on Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Talking about boring shapes and you're not gonna mention Wyoming and Colorado? What?

Also please have mercy one of Alabama's few saving graces is that we're not Mississippi.

You're right. I mentioned them only as replicas of each other, but they are just boxes.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Why you no like straight lines, America?

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Asardia wrote:

I could be fine with this. If we take that little corridor between Tennessee and West Virginia, and give it to Kentucky, it would be great. North Carolina's borders could be pushed up, but then that leaves us with a little ball of a state for Virginia. Virginia would need to absorb WV to maintain balance.

Speaking of which, maybe also give Alabama some of Florida's panhandle, too.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm

I’d divide Texas in equal parts and then watch them angrily argue about which Texas is bigger.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Albrenia wrote:Why you no like straight lines, America?

All borders should be dead straight lines created by people who know nothing of the areas. I can see no issue in this plan.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue May 12, 2020 9:31 pm

It's more I'd shift some around, like Colorado doesn't belong where it is, need to shift it up Northwest a bit, same with Indiana, it's needs to go down South to be with its people. I don't know what to do with Iowa, doesn't seem to belong anywhere, merge everyone up from NY into just NY.

I've emailed countless presidents on this.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Heloin wrote:
Albrenia wrote:Why you no like straight lines, America?

All borders should be dead straight lines created by people who know nothing of the areas. I can see no issue in this plan.

As someone who does not have to deal with said issues and would just have soothing straight lines on a map to look at, I support this. :p

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Heloin wrote:All borders should be dead straight lines created by people who know nothing of the areas. I can see no issue in this plan.

As someone who does not have to deal with said issues and would just have soothing straight lines on a map to look at, I support this. :p

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Heloin wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Ahh yeah, that's the stuff.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Heloin wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Slice off the bit from Florida to Texas and shove it under Nevada and California, fold the bit above NY into the Great lakes then slice off the top layer and you have a perfect square - The Processed Cheese States of America.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Heloin wrote:

Slice off the bit from Florida to Texas and shove it under Nevada and California, fold the bit above NY into the Great lakes then slice off the top layer and you have a perfect square - The Processed Cheese States of America.

Now I want cheese...

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Now I want cheese...

In the bright new squared off world of new America.. you shall have cheese in abundance.

十年

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Now I want cheese...

Yum.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Now I want cheese...

Mmm... America cheese.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 pm

Heloin wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Now I want cheese...

Mmm... America cheese.

I am pleased.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue May 12, 2020 9:54 pm

WHAT THE FUCK, BRO

Add West Virginia back into Virginia. Unite the Dakotas and the Carolinas. Add Oklahoma to Texas. Unite Massachusetts and Maine again.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

A Salmon Named Harold
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby A Salmon Named Harold » Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I’d divide Texas in equal parts and then watch them angrily argue about which Texas is bigger.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/exhibits/anne ... tion7.html

Also pretty sure we are too unified as a state to argue about which part of Texas is the largest.
we would also like our old borders back, seeing that we could have reached all the way up to Wyoming
I wish the person above and below a great day.

Can we have some french fries, NationStates?

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Going from East to West the US comprises of Yankie Dominions, The Middling West, Hillbilly Strongholds, the Confederate South, Petit France, Florida, El Norte, Marlboro Country, New Pacifica, Not-Canada

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 pm

I would have renamed most of the French, Spanish, and Indian names new territories to Anglo-Saxon names (whether an Anglicization of the old name or a new name entirely).
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General