NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] @@LEADER@@ on a Roof

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ON HOLD] @@LEADER@@ on a Roof

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 05, 2020 4:50 am

There's a lot to unpack here, so I'll just say that I absolutely loved Fiddler on a Roof, highly recommend it,
and I tried to throw a few other references in here. And yes, I'm aware that I've mixed up characters something awful. :P

as usual, not sure about the effect lines, but tbf I made this waking up at 6:30 AM and considering a few nights ago I went to sleep at this time... yaaay.

Title: @@LEADER@@ on a Roof
The Issue: Your uncle has interrupted your breakfast to tell you that your cousin has been wed — to an illegal immigrant.
Validity: Marriage is legal, very very low inclusivity

Option 1: "Impossible, unthinkable! My daughter, your cousin, has eloped with an illegal, not to mention threw our whole tradition and way of life away to a penniless bum who wears nose rings and drinks @@ANIMAL@@ urine for some goddess," says your uncle, breaking into dance for some inexplicable reason. "If you had any sense of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ pride, tradition, and law, you would disown her just as I have, and deport that weird-looking bug back to Brancaland. TRADIIITIOOOON!" You look up to where he's pointing to see a leak in the ceiling.
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has a very small family

Validity: Not vegetarian, No Prohibition
Option 2a: "I'm not thrilled your cousin's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Brancish Perchick tribe, offering you hard liquor and a healthy slice of beef. "But look into her eyes. See how happy she is!" He holds up a blurry year-old photo of her. "Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it! Oh, and make him and others like him legal citizens while you're at it."
[effect] @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ culture has been disapproved by the government

Validity: Vegetarian OR Prohibition
Option 2b: "I'm not thrilled your cousin's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Brancish Perchick tribe, offering you some syrup and a healthy slice of cheese. "But look into her eyes. See how happy she is!" He holds up a blurry year-old photo of her. "Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it! Oh, and make him and others like him legal citizens while you're at it."

Option 3: "You could just make all interethnic marriage illegal," says your brother, looking most out-of-place with his latest attempt at a mustache and T-shirt reading "Orders Are Orders". "Oh, and forcibly separate those already in mixed marriages. Muscle tough!" He begins playing a fiddle.
[effect] inbreeding has become the new in thing

The Issue: Your uncle has interrupted your breakfast to tell you that your cousin has been wed — to someone of a different ethnicity.

Option 1: "Impossible, unthinkable! My daughter, your cousin, has eloped with an outsider, not to mention threw our whole tradition and way of life away to marry a penniless bum who wears nose rings and drinks @@ANIMAL@@ urine," says your uncle, breaking into dance for some inexplicable reason. "If you had any sense of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ pride and tradition, you would disown her just as I have, and make sure word never gets out that someone from our family committed something so blasphemous, at any cost. TRADIIITIOOOON!" You look up to where he's pointing to see a leak in the ceiling.

Option 2a: "I'm not thrilled your daughter's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Violetstone tribe, offering you hard liquor and a healthy slice of beef. "But look into her eyes. She's happy. She loves him. And that's the kind of culture we should embrace as a nation. Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it!"

Option 2b: "I'm not thrilled your daughter's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Violetstone tribe, offering you some cider and a healthy slice of cheese. "But look into her eyes. She's happy. She loves him. And that's the kind of culture we should embrace as a nation. Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it!"

Option 3: "You could just make interethnic marriage illegal," says your brother, looking most out-of-place with his latest attempt at a mustache and T-shirt reading "Orders are orders". "Oh, and forcibly separate those already wed. Muscle tough!" He begins playing a fiddle.

The Issue: Your uncle has interrupted your breakfast to tell you that your cousin has been wed — to someone a different ethnicity.

Option 1: "Impossible, unthinkable! My daughter, your niece, just married an outsider, not to mention threw our whole tradition and way of life into a bonfire," says your uncle, breaking into dance for some inexplicable reason. "If you had any sense of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ pride and tradition, you would disown her just as I have, and make sure word never gets out that someone from our family committed something so blasphemous. TRADIIITIOOOON!" You look up to where he's pointing to see a leak in the ceiling.

Option 2a: "I'm not thrilled your daughter's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Violetstone tribe, offering you hard liquor and a healthy slice of beef. "But look into her eyes. She's happy. She loves him. And that's the kind of culture we should embrace as a nation. Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it!"

Option 2b: "I'm not thrilled your daughter's marrying my son," says Wolf Moonbeam of the Violetstone tribe, offering you some cider and a healthy slice of cheese. "But look into her eyes. She's happy. She loves him. And that's the kind of culture we should embrace as a nation. Get over her dumping me just as I have, never mind the fact that I'll be a rich man. This is about them — don't hide their marriage, celebrate it!"

Option 3: "You could just make interethnic marriage illegal," says your brother, looking most out-of-place with his latest mustache and T-shirt reading "Orders are orders". "Oh, and forcibly separate those already wed. Muscle tough!" He begins playing a fiddle.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 05, 2020 5:04 am

So what about multiracial societies, like Australia or the USA?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 am

That's why there's a validity check, Aussie.

Coming to the issue, I think it's a good premise, but the options are unimaginative. We basically have:

1) Disown them
2) It's okay
3) Ban interracial marriages

There's just not much going on here to make players have to think hard or agonise in any way. They'll know which way their nation leans, and click option 2 or 3 depending on where they want their stats to go.

Can you put on your thinking hat and try to make the decision a harder one?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am

I'll certainly try! Guess I'm rusty, forgot to raise the difficulty. :P
well that and excruciatingly out of order

Glad the premise is solid though. :lol:
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 pm

*puts nitpicking hat on* There's not much else I can fault with this draft - it's a good premise - so I'll resort to minor corrections :p

Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Your uncle has interrupted your breakfast to tell you that your cousin has been wed — to someone a different ethnicity.
someone of a different ethnicity?

Jutsa wrote:"Impossible, unthinkable! My daughter, your niece,
Uncle's daughter is cousin - if you want niece, you need brother's daughter.

Jutsa wrote:"I'm not thrilled your daughter's marrying my son,"
Now it's my daughter? Granted, this could imply Wolf Moonbeam is speaking to your uncle, but then, the remainder of the sentence implies they are talking to you - they offer hard liquor and a healthy slice of beef to you, not your uncle.

Jutsa wrote:offering you some cider and a healthy slice of cheese.
For what it's worth, here in Australia cider is typically also alcoholic.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am

Dangit I couldn't keep a straight head at all at 6:30 in the morning.

Kinda impressed I did as much as I did, considering I don't feel much better at 2:20 in the afternoon. :rofl:

Yep, will swing by and put those in later as well. Not entirely sure when since I'm kinda all-over-the-place in what I'm doing rn but uh,
yeah, your nitpicks noted and much appreciated. :)

edit: Also still thinking about how on earth I'm going to make the options more difficult. I'd either have to make them crazier or, more likely,
modify the core issue itself somehow. Just not sure how... and probably would if I actually sat down and thought about it. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am

You know another angle to this could be to say that the cousin has married an immigrant... it could also bring up issues of citizenship by marriage, etc., unless this has been tackled in a previous issue. (I have been inactive lately, so I am mostly ignorant about the latest 300 issues or so.)

For the issue of marrying a person from a tribe, I think it would be good if you gave a "reason" for @@LEADER@@'s uncle's rage. Tradition and way of life are vague concepts, and you could create more humor by emphasizing what exactly is wrong with this tribe, from the perspective of a racist. Do they drink @@ANIMAL@@ urine as part of a ritual? Do they sacrifice their firstborn to the Guardian Goddess of the Violetstone Hill?

etc.

Nice premise, though.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am

Many thanks :)

Updated it a little bit, and I thought the options might be more interesting as "deport the illegal", "let illegals become citizens through marriage", and "ban all interethnic marriage", but there's a bit of an issue with this approach:

It rings some bells with Issue 1053. Not a lot, mind you, but the options there are along the lines of:
1) let them come to @@NAME@@, 2) pay scuds money [it's great], 3) let them into @@NAME@@ but make them be wed, and 4) execute the heathens.

It's different, buuuut there might be some minor conflicts, and I'd just like to make clear whether or not they are. If not, I've got a 1.10WIP made.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Why wasn't leader invited to the wedding? Did they elope?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm

that was the idea. will specify that. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 am

Just added "eloped". Still wouldn't mind a second opinion on whether WIP1.10 would clash too much with 1053,
but now I'm also wondering if "The real problem here is elopement" would be a valid issue option...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Alrighty, updated this to be about marrying an illegal immigrant instead. :P

Can always revert back if I need to. Also, still wanted tribes to be an unimportant factor solely on the premise that Wolf Moonbeam fits way too well.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Actually, it seems we have some broad thematic overlaps here with #1333 (even though the illegal immigrant does not marry @@LEADER@@'s cousin for citizenship, it is hard to believe this was not a motive) and vaguely even #1157. The thing is, I feel like 2 issues about "marriages in @@LEADER@@'s family" are enough for now, and if there is going to be a 3rd one, it has to tackle an important issue. I am not sure if low inclusivity/ people not wanting to marry illegal immigrants (or members of tribes) is an important enough issue in that sense.

Jutsa wrote:but now I'm also wondering if "The real problem here is elopement" would be a valid issue option...

I believe that would be @@LEADER@@'s personal problem then, right? Unless you want to prohibit everyone from eloping... which would be interesting, to say the least.

------------------

You know, I was thinking that maybe one could write an issue about what happens when a slave master marries a slave (which would obviously be only valid for nations with slavery). I think one could explore some novel issues there, unless this has already been tackled in a relatively recent issue that I missed.

If there was also an official Segregation policy or something like that on NS, you could use that to problematize what happens with interracial or interethnic marriages. As things stand, however, the issue seems to rest on a flimsy ground.

-------------------

To sum up, I would suggest that you don't make this about one particular marriage in @@LEADER@@'s family and instead go for a large societal phenomenon; and I would say that the person that the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizen is marrying should not be a tribal member or an immigrant (legal or illegal).
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Huh. I'll definitely have to think about that, FuF. Thank you. :)

In that case, I'll put this one on hold. I am sorry I have so many drafts "on hold" at this point, but I've legit so many things going on that the only reason I'm back to NS is because of contest inspiration. :P

Once I get things sorted out (hopefully they will), I can hopefully focus on this more. Unfortunately, it looks to me like I'm just going to have more work to do starting next week. :roll:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?