NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Freedom of Education Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

[ABANDONED] Freedom of Education Act

Postby Kyundao » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 pm

From what I'm told, there has been nothing on freedom of education (let alone homeschooling), so I took it upon myself to write a successful resolution covering the topic. I already have the overall format down and the GA proposal right now looks like this:

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging that parents and legal guardians have the right to give their children the best available quality of education;

Aware that some children learn very differently than other children;

Further aware that some children struggle in public and/or private schools due to factors such as bullying, incompetent teachers, complicated curricula, etc;

Knowing that there has been no prior legislation in regards to homeschooling and freedom of education;

Knowing as well that public and private schools do not inherently provide a better standard of education than other schooling methods;

Alarmed by the fact that some members of the World Assembly do not allow for freedom of education and even exhibit hostility towards members who do allow for freedom of education;

Disturbed by the fact that some members of the World Assembly utilize in public and private schools curricula that teach subjects that are questionable at best in regards to values and beliefs about society, other members of the World Assembly and the world;

Hereby defines:

1. Freedom of education as the freedom of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to decide how their children are educated;

2. Public schools as schools operated and maintained by a nation's government;

3. Private schools as schools operated, maintained and financed by private owners, their employees, the parents involved in private schooling and the teachers hired by private owners;

4. Homeschooling as the home-based education of a child led by the parent(s), legal guardian(s) and/or private tutors;

Therefore mandates that:

1. All members of the World Assembly provide parents and legal guardians with freedom of education in the pursuit of the best quality of education for their children;

2. All members of the World Assembly allow homeschooling as an alternative to public and private schools;

3. All members of the World Assembly implement provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children follows the basic curriculum without infringing upon freedom of education.

If there's anything I need to add, feel free to provide some input.

FYI: anything even remotely opposed to freedom of education will be ignored.
Last edited by Kyundao on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 30 times in total.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7212
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 am

Kyundao wrote:Therefore mandates that: All members of the World Assembly provide homeschooling

Governments don't provide homeschooling - parents, carers and guardians do.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Achievements
3 SC Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 GA Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

1 Issue:
C: #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

Cup of Harmony 73 CHAMPIONS

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:32 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Kyundao wrote:Therefore mandates that: All members of the World Assembly provide homeschooling

Governments don't provide homeschooling - parents, carers and guardians do.


That's been changed to this:

1. All members of the World Assembly allow homeschooling as an alternative to public and private schools and;

User avatar
Unthank
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Unthank » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40 am

but... unrestricted freedom of education? Surely that means parents could teach their children... I don't know... underwater basketweaving but not mathematics? Or nothing at all, since it's the parents' choice?

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:51 am

Some changes have been made to the draft:

The World Assembly;

Knowing that parents have the right to give their children, biological or adopted, the best available quality of education;

Aware that some children learn much differently than other children;

Further aware that some children struggle in public and/or private schools due to factors such as bullying, incapable teachers, complicated curricula, etc;

Even more aware that there has been no approved prior legislation in regards to homeschooling and freedom of education;

Acknowledging that children who were homeschooled tend to fare far better than children who attend public and/or private schools not just in mental health, but also in the information they have learned;

Therefore mandates that:

1. All members of the World Assembly allow homeschooling as an alternative to public and private schools;

2. All members of the World Assembly provide parents freedom of education in the pursuit of the best available quality of education;

3. All members of the World Assembly implement provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children follows the necessary requirements such as the completion of annual tests.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7212
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:55 am

Kyundao wrote:Some changes have been made to the draft:

Traditional etiquette is to put your latest draft into the OP.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Achievements
3 SC Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 GA Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

1 Issue:
C: #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

Cup of Harmony 73 CHAMPIONS

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:01 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Kyundao wrote:Some changes have been made to the draft:

Traditional etiquette is to put your latest draft into the OP.


Fixed that.

User avatar
Maowi
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1059
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maowi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:10 am

OOC:
Kyundao wrote:3. All members of the World Assembly implement provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children follows the necessary requirements such as the completion of annual tests.

This section (emphasis mine) is pretty ambiguous. Given that this already exists, I suggest replacing the end of that clause with something like "... follows World Assembly requirements for standards of education."

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:19 am

Maowi wrote:OOC:
Kyundao wrote:3. All members of the World Assembly implement provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children follows the necessary requirements such as the completion of annual tests.

This section (emphasis mine) is pretty ambiguous. Given that this already exists, I suggest replacing the end of that clause with something like "... follows World Assembly requirements for standards of education."


I'm pretty sure that falls under the House of Cards rule since it would be relying on previous resolutions.

User avatar
Maowi
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1059
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maowi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:17 am

Kyundao wrote:
Maowi wrote:OOC: This section (emphasis mine) is pretty ambiguous. Given that this already exists, I suggest replacing the end of that clause with something like "... follows World Assembly requirements for standards of education."


I'm pretty sure that falls under the House of Cards rule since it would be relying on previous resolutions.

As long as you don't specify the actual resolution, it should be legal. Your clause would still work, regardless of what WA legislation on education actually was.

If you also wanted to have something independent of WA legislation, you could mandate that member nations ensure that homeschooling meets the national standards for regular education.

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18455
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 am

Promotion of Basic Education, Res 80 only states that all citizens have a right to basic education. It does not specify where that education come from, be it government schools, private schools, internet, homeschooled, or meditation with the Great Auk.
So, why do we need something which only states “You can do it like this one specific way!”. In my eyes, this appears to be pointless duplication.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curmudgeon, Bastard, Grumpy Old Man. And those are my good qualities.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
Maowi
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1059
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maowi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Promotion of Basic Education, Res 80 only states that all citizens have a right to basic education. It does not specify where that education come from, be it government schools, private schools, internet, homeschooled, or meditation with the Great Auk.
So, why do we need something which only states “You can do it like this one specific way!”. In my eyes, this appears to be pointless duplication.

OOC: Couldn't this be interpreted as a blocker for a future resolution banning homeschooling? If that is a correct view of it, it would also probably need to take more substantive action of some sort to be legal, afaik

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18455
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Maowi wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Promotion of Basic Education, Res 80 only states that all citizens have a right to basic education. It does not specify where that education come from, be it government schools, private schools, internet, homeschooled, or meditation with the Great Auk.
So, why do we need something which only states “You can do it like this one specific way!”. In my eyes, this appears to be pointless duplication.

OOC: Couldn't this be interpreted as a blocker for a future resolution banning homeschooling? If that is a correct view of it, it would also probably need to take more substantive action of some sort to be legal, afaik

How is what going to block homeschooling? #80? It says nothing about blocking any god damned thing.
Curmudgeon, Bastard, Grumpy Old Man. And those are my good qualities.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9716
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:03 pm

GH, Maowi is referring to this proposal here blocking a future blocker for homeschooling.

That said, more broadly to everyone else, I'd be more interested in a resolution explicitly permitting member nations the authority to require student attendance at state schools. Hilariously, the last time this came up, CD called me a fascist.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 36 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Terttia
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm

OOC: What about vocational schools, which usually require students to do hands-on training?
Alex Phantomson, Terttian Ambassador to the World Assembly.


I support the American Libertarian Party.
Jo Jorgensen for President of the United States 2020.

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:GH, Maowi is referring to this proposal here blocking a future blocker for homeschooling.

That said, more broadly to everyone else, I'd be more interested in a resolution explicitly permitting member nations the authority to require student attendance at state schools. Hilariously, the last time this came up, CD called me a fascist.


The goal of my proposal is to guarantee freedom of education as well as the parents' right to homeschool their children, all within WA member nations. Replacing this with your idea is not happening.
Last edited by Kyundao on Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Terttia wrote:OOC: What about vocational schools, which usually require students to do hands-on training?


Vocational schools have been included in the draft.

User avatar
Terttia
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Kyundao wrote:
Terttia wrote:OOC: What about vocational schools, which usually require students to do hands-on training?


Vocational schools have been included in the draft.

OOC: I think that you misunderstood what I meant. You see, students in vocational school require (at least according to my friends that have been to vocational school) a rather great deal of supervision. Do you expect instructors to reasonably monitor students when they’re homeschooled? Also, a lot of tools (again, according to those friends) are shared. That would nearly logistically impossible to transport tools to each student’s house.
Alex Phantomson, Terttian Ambassador to the World Assembly.


I support the American Libertarian Party.
Jo Jorgensen for President of the United States 2020.

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Terttia wrote:
Kyundao wrote:
Vocational schools have been included in the draft.

OOC: I think that you misunderstood what I meant. You see, students in vocational school require (at least according to my friends that have been to vocational school) a rather great deal of supervision. Do you expect instructors to reasonably monitor students when they’re homeschooled? Also, a lot of tools (again, according to those friends) are shared. That would nearly logistically impossible to transport tools to each student’s house.


The revision says that homeschooling should be an alternative to public, private AND vocational schools. Homeschooled students obviously don't have to do what you're alluding to.

User avatar
Terttia
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:53 pm

Kyundao wrote:
Terttia wrote:OOC: I think that you misunderstood what I meant. You see, students in vocational school require (at least according to my friends that have been to vocational school) a rather great deal of supervision. Do you expect instructors to reasonably monitor students when they’re homeschooled? Also, a lot of tools (again, according to those friends) are shared. That would nearly logistically impossible to transport tools to each student’s house.


The revision says that homeschooling should be an alternative to public, private AND vocational schools. Homeschooled students obviously don't have to do what you're alluding to.

OOC: What are any alternatives to professionally learning technical skills, apart from attending a vocational school?

Also, clause 3 states, “3. All members of the World Assembly implement [sic] provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children meets the necessary requirements such as the completion of annual tests.” If homeschooling is an alternative in a curriculum sense, how are member nations supposed to comply with that clause since the standards are, according to you, different?
Alex Phantomson, Terttian Ambassador to the World Assembly.


I support the American Libertarian Party.
Jo Jorgensen for President of the United States 2020.

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Terttia wrote:
Kyundao wrote:
The revision says that homeschooling should be an alternative to public, private AND vocational schools. Homeschooled students obviously don't have to do what you're alluding to.

OOC: What are any alternatives to professionally learning technical skills, apart from attending a vocational school?

Also, clause 3 states, “3. All members of the World Assembly implement [sic] provisions to ensure that the homeschooling of children meets the necessary requirements such as the completion of annual tests.” If homeschooling is an alternative in a curriculum sense, how are member nations supposed to comply with that clause since the standards are, according to you, different?


Some public schools teach things such as finances and investing. As for your take on clause 3, I never mentioned differences (in other words you're strawmanning), but now that you brought them up, I may as well purposely leave differences between WA nations out in order to give them enough leeway to enforce this resolution should it pass.
Last edited by Kyundao on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Terttia
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Kyundao wrote:Some public schools teach things such as finances and investing.

All OOC: I never did bring public schools into the conversation albeit many if not most vocational schools in the U.S. are owned by the government.

Kyundao wrote:As for your take on clause 3, I never mentioned differences (in other words you're strawmanning), but now that you brought them up, I may as well purposely leave differences between WA nations out in order to give them enough leeway to enforce this resolution should it pass.

On the basis that I was speaking of vocational schools, students that attend them go there to professionally learn a skill. As I stated earlier, most students have to be on campus to actually learn something, for they’re learning a skill that require hands-on learning. If most of those students are not able to access the tools from their home due to some reason, it would be difficult to satisfy clause 3. Perhaps adding something to the effect of “where feasible” in clause 1 would solve the problem.

Edit (OOC): In much simpler terms, how is one supposed to learn without the proper tools and resources to do so?

IC: Phantomson states, “This is no international issue.”
Last edited by Terttia on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alex Phantomson, Terttian Ambassador to the World Assembly.


I support the American Libertarian Party.
Jo Jorgensen for President of the United States 2020.

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:26 am

Guys, I think the draft is now fine as is. Before I submit it, let me know what you'd like to add or change.

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18455
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:19 am

Kyundao wrote:Guys, I think the draft is now fine as is. Before I submit it, let me know what you'd like to add or change.

Barely 24 hours of drafting? Seriously?
Curmudgeon, Bastard, Grumpy Old Man. And those are my good qualities.

Head of the Grays Harbor WA delegation: Sir Henry Rodut, OHE, GHC
3-2-1 lets jam

User avatar
Kyundao
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Kyundao » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:38 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Kyundao wrote:Guys, I think the draft is now fine as is. Before I submit it, let me know what you'd like to add or change.

Barely 24 hours of drafting? Seriously?


Without further input from others, pretty much.
Last edited by Kyundao on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desmosthenes and Burke

Advertisement

Remove ads