NATION

PASSWORD

Avantine Hustle (CLOSED)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Avantine Hustle (CLOSED)

Postby Novitera » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Skies Over Avantine

The Noviteran Airlines passenger jet flew towards Akora Airport. Passengers were waking up as the lights in the plane were beginning to turn on and the plane descended. Out the window the sun was setting. The last rays of the twilight sunset could be looked at without discomfort. Another illumination began to glow beneath, the lights of civilization. There were long trails of white or red light for traffic immediately visible and the sprawl of buildings. Further in the distance was the metropolis of high rises and skyscrapers added to by the lights of billboards, advertisements and spotlights.

A male voice on the airplane’s speaker system was saying something but it was in Nishigo. It stopped then proceeded to speak in Latin.

“Good evening passengers. This is the Captain speaking. We are beginning our descent to Akora Airport now. For those that have been away welcome home. For the rest of you, welcome to Avantine. Light of the Delphic.” It said.

“Fuck yeah! FUCK YEAH! We’re home!” A voice in first class exclaimed happily. It was a man in his mid-20s dressed in khakis and button up shirt. He was sitting with another man dressed similarly.

“Oh, so long! Damn that Fineberg transfer. How are we looking for the plan tonight? We gotta move quick bro. It’s Friday night. By Sunday morning we’re back on a plane to tight ass land.” His companion asked.

The first man waved a hand dismissively. “I got it. I ain’t an amateur. My buddies have everything ready. Cocaine, girls, we’re gonna hit the club to party until 2am then take the hotties back to the hotel for some action.”

“What if they don’t want to fuck us?” Asked his companion.

“Then we go to a pleasure house for some of that slippery Han pussy! WHOO!”

A pretty stewardess politely asked him to quiet down. For the benefit of Jaime and Camilla, the two men were speaking in Nishigo.

Jaime, tired from the flight, lazily rolled his head over and looked at Camilla sitting next to him. He kept his voice low to not embarrass her too much, “Herro Camirra recome to Novitera!”

Camilla giggled and whispered back, “Mow chow chee chow chong!”

Behind them, Max and Uzziel heard the shouting, and the accents and the tone puzzled them. “What’s the imbecile yelling about?” demanded Uzziel. “Damn him, I was asleep!”

“”Is something wrong?” Max asked of the stewardess. “And how about some more wine, my dear?”

“Wakatta.” The stewardess replied and flashed Max a grin. She returned later with more wine. “Dozo.” The woman said and set it down on his tray with a napkin.

By the time the plane landed the sun had completely set. It was fully night. Akora itself was a massive airport outside of Avantine itself being a major hub for flights around the Delphic Sea. After unloading, the airport itself was very clean and very modern. There were numerous shops selling various goods as typical for an airport. All of them were lit up with bright signs and kanji. Wall space in the airport was covered in digital signage displaying advertisements of various products and services especially along the long wide hallways on the way to the carousels. Walking around in black pants, grey button ups, and baseball style black hats were private security guards the airport had contracted. They were either armed with a simple Glock 45 on the hip or carrying an MP7.

Immigration would have been easy. The line was not that long. An immigration officer took one look at Jaime’s passport then pulled out his phone. He seemed to be comparing his picture with that from news articles along with Camilla’s. The man smiled, asked no questions and stamped their passports.

“Welcome to Novitera.” He said and waved them through.

Jaime smiled and nodded, “Thank you sir.”

He stepped away from the booth and waited for Camilla’s brothers to clear their inspection before going to baggage claim. Max and Uzziel were both wearing silk shirts and blazers and ties, with creased trousers and fine leather shoes, were yawning and wearing sunglasses as well. “Behold, our little sister stands at the threshold of the great city of Avantine! Let all be dazzled by her blazing star!” cried Uzziel.

“Be quiet, you ridiculous fool,” said Camilla, blushing. “Why did I bring you too along?”

“Bring us! No one can hold back the Sharra brothers!” Max replied with a grin. “Besides, I wanted to see this den of iniquity for myself.”

After retrieving luggage, a man in a suit was waiting with a sign that had their first names written on it. He looked physically intimidating although not as much as Jaime and introduced himself as Simon, an ex-police officer and the private security hired by the companies Jaime and Camilla were here to work with. Paperwork was presented to prove it along with the protection contract taken out on their persons. Of course, Jaime and Camilla had the right to demand they leave them be at any time and were informed of this. In either case, he was at least to drive them to the hotel.

“Hello Simon, how do you do?” said Camilla with polite friendliness.

“Very good madame. It is a fine evening. Please, this way.” He replied in a sort of broken Latin.

Camilla had, of course, brought a suitcase with her day-clothes, and another for her evening clothes, and a third for sports garments and her tennis gear which she brought everywhere, and her brothers had brought equivalents, and all three had brought their carry on bags, and Camilla had brought her Hostillian servant girl Ming with her, and the Sharra brothers were sharing Vim, their Elwe boy. They insisted on making sure there was another car for the luggage.

Unfortunately, the contracts taken out were not for anyone else but Jaime and Camilla. Simon thought quickly on his feet and ordered EasyRide through his phone. That would serve well enough.

A black luxury sedan pulled up to the terminal driven by another man who introduced himself as Pat, Simon’s colleague. They loaded up the baggage in the trunk and opened the doors for Jaime and Camilla. At once they were off exiting the airport.

Numerous Noviteran flags, the flags of Soletrek, Avantine and various corporate flags lined the ramp that got them onto the 5 lane freeway which led to Avantine. There were many cars and the speed limit was 65mph. Traffic was not so bad so they were able to move at an average pace of 35 mph. There were few regulations on automobiles in Novitera so many cars had stylistic underglow of various colors. All along the way, billboards lined the sides of the freeway displaying more advertisements. In the distance growing ever larger was the Avantine skyline. Numerous high rises and skyscrapers with glittering lights. On the tops were lighted up signs of corporate names. Recognizable ones like “Civic” or “Ishukoni” and “Lai Dai”. They were just visible in the distance.

The Edomites were stunned. It was one thing to see it in pictures or a video, another to see it for real. Uzziel lowered his sunglasses, amazed. “Mother of God…” he muttered. “This is very different from Puerto Rojas,” agreed Max. “Oh my gosh,” said Camilla.

Jaime had no words for what he was seeing. It was breathtakingly intense. He stared out of the window trying to take it all in.

“We’re going to take the tunnel.” Pat said to Jaime and Camilla as he pulled off an exit ramp on the freeway along with some other to take an underground tunnel. Here they were able to go fast and even here the advertisements were present. Signs hung from the ceiling for the view of those driving through. The tunnel seemed to go on until they were finally able to exit. A light flashed from above which took a picture of the car’s license plates in order to send the owner of it a bill wherever the address it was registered to.

When they exited, they were in the heart of the urban jungle.

Theme

For a newcomer the heart of Avantine was loud and bright. An assault of the senses. For the ears, horns honked, police whistles blew, audio advertisements played on loudspeakers for lliberal regulations on noise pollution, and people shouted and there were many, many people. All of them walking around like herds of sheep. Many were in business formal attire. Others more casual. Since it was nighttime, some were dressed in the garb of cyber culture getting ready to go to a rave or club. This consisted of outlandish attire. There were wigs of unnatural hair colors, fishnet stockings, neon clothing, clothing with LED lights embedded into it, and futuristic visors. Some attractive women walked around very visible logos of various companies. They were walking advertisements. Paid to do so by the companies they contracted with. They passed a group of police officers who had several thuggish looking men up against a wall and were patting them down. One had a shotgun held low watching them all closely. Their squad cars were parked along the side of the street flashing blue and red lights.

The three Edomites with the group looked on with confusion.

“Is this a festival?” asked Camilla. “Oh look, Jaime, that woman has pink hair and signs on her body! She must be going to work at some place, only…” she got the giggles, “Only the servants here are wearing clothes but they’re still all decorated! Not like in your country where there are no real servants but just citizens who work for money.”

Pat answered her. “No festival in this part of the city. People just going out to party for the night. But are things happening elsewhere. Auto Fest tonight in the Niwa District. Might want to check it out. Tomorrow is also the first day of Tech Con.”

“Everyone works for money in Novitera,” said Max, eyeing the police. “Are those special cars? They are very fancy.”

“Avantine Police.” Answered Simon amused by their ignorance. “You’ll see those cars around. When the lights are flashing and the sirens are blaring, stay away.”

“It’s almost like a form of prostitution in a way isnt it? Using your body in such a way that you make alterations to it for money. I mean, it is above prostitution of course, but I mean, you know what people are looking at…” Jaime said grinning.

“Stop saying ‘prostitution’” said Camilla.

Neon signs and digital signage was everywhere displaying kanji letters and latin symbols. A large mega-screen displayed an attractive woman dancing lewdly in skimpy attire. A lit up billboard displayed a bottle of Rafe Cola. One large neon sign to a club simply read, “SEX!” Everywhere the car turned they seemed to be walled in by concrete, glass and steel that reached towards the heavens. Light pollution made the stars unseeable.

“Oh my gosh, Jaime, they sell sex there!” cried Camilla.

Jaime gave her a little unseen pinch, “Well thank God I know a girl who will give it to me for free then. I won't have to waste my money.” She elbowed him but pressed her lips together suppressing giggles.

Max and Uzziel looked at one another and nodded.

Simon spoke up. “One of the cheaper clubs and run by gangsters. You know the quality is not good if they just blatantly put ‘SEX’ as the sign. I can tell you where the nice ones are.” He said.

“Over there. If you’ve never seen it before.” Simon pointed out. In the distance was the Glimmering Spire. An actual spire divided into five sections. Each section was a megascreen that wrapped around the spire 360 degrees displaying news and advertisements. It was visible for only a moment until another skyscraper blocked the view.

“What’s that?” cried Camilla.

“Some sort of giant spire,” said Uzziel.

"It's called the Glimmering Spire. Just a tourist attraction. Something to make the city cooler. Avantine City Council had it built out of vanity I think. I mean, it doesn't do anything besides play news and advertisements." Explained Simon.

“Here we go.” Simon stated.

Up ahead it seemed even brighter until it may as well have been high noon. For they were driving through Tavish Square. In the center of it, was a large statue of Jordan Tavish on a horse. This was the man that Noviterans considered the father of their nation. In his right hand he held the reins and in his left was a flag pole that had the Noviteran flag on the top of it. All around the statue in every direction was a megascreen or glowing billboard displaying an advertisement. The crowd here was in the thousands. People so densely packed it seemed like there was some kind of rally going on. But it was just a regular night in Avantine.

“What is going on there?” said Max warily. “A gathering of some kind. What are those people up to?”

“Some tourists. Most just walking where they need to go. It’s a major thoroughfare in the city so it’s usually crowded like this. We wanted to drive through so you can check it out. Quite the sight for a first timer.” Pat explained.

They drove through Tavish Square and the lights began to dim considerably. Eventually the car stopped in front of a high rise. There were large glass doors at the front and attendants in uniforms standing outside.

“Indigo Delphic Hotel. Finest hotel on the Delphic.” Simon said then handed him his card. “Call us if you’re going to leave and want a ride or security. There’s also the subway but trust me, a ride is better.”

“Maybe they should take the subway just once. For the experience.” Pat added.

“What’s a subway?” asked Camilla.

“Umm...you’ll have to see for yourself. Ain’t no subway like the Avantine subway.” Pat stated with a smile.

Simon shook his head. “Well, maybe. It’s not for the faint of heart I’ll say. Enjoy your stay Mr. and Mrs. Salinas.”

“Thank you so much,” said Camilla, and she gave him a kiss on the cheek. “May God bless you and your family, and the saints you are devoted to watch over you for your kindly care of us.”

“Umm...oh! Ok! Thank you Mrs. Salinas.” Simon replied alarmingly at the kiss not knowing quite how to react.

Attendants immediately took their bags. The hotel lobby had a koi pond in the center and several artificial waterfalls. Several low pillars held banzai trees and some of the walls hung kanji calligraphy scrolls.

“See you soon, sister, brother-in-law,” said Max, winking. He paused to grab Uzziel, who was trying to grab one of the koi, and dragged him off to their room.

Jaime and Camilla were given keycards to their room and told about the hotel application which they could download. Through the app they could order room service, massages, and other requests. Their room itself was suite on the 40th floor. By the time they arrived their bags had already been deposited by attendants. Up here the sound of the street was less audible but they could still hear a police siren here and there. Their room, like many of luxury hotels in Novitera, was completely digitized in its operation. The lights, shower and toilet were operated by touch screen panels on the walls. A suite speaker system was available to be connected to via bluetooth if they wanted to play music although this did have a max volume coded in after 9pm. They also had a fantastic view of the city with Soletrek Tower, the tallest building in Novitera, visible.

Stepping into the room Jaime sat on the bed and laughed, “I certainly have never seen anything like this place.”

Camilla bit her lip, then said, “Well, Ming, here we are.”

“Yes, Countess. Put away bags?” the Hostillian peeped.

“Yes, then bath,” said Camilla.

“And tea, Countess, calm nerves,” the little maid agreed, bustling off.

He looked outside the window, “I’m not sure what to make of it Cami, I am awed in a way. This place is something. It really is amazing. But, it also has the feeling of living inside a television. So many sights and sounds all at once, all pressing in on you trying to fight for your attention.”

“Jaime, there are no ways to make anything work. There are weird lights everywhere. I feel very tired. I want a bath, tea, and to have my hair done,” said Camilla firmly. “It’s fascinating but exhausting. But...I love being Mrs. Salinas.” she smiled coyly. “Once we relax I think I may be able to enjoy it. Do you know they have tennis courts on the roofs here?”

“Huh, how about that. On the roof? What if you hit the ball off?” Jaime said as he began poking at one of the touch screens trying to figure it out. He shut off half of the lights in the room and then turned on some music trying to fix it. He poked around until he gave up. Angrily he muttered, “Aye, estúpida cosa de mierda.”

“I give up Cami.” He sighed.

Camilla mulled over that a moment and then tsked. “Jaime, please do not use vulgarities. You are not in an army camp. Ming-ah!”

“Countess?” Ming appeared in one of the doorways.

“Find out how this hotel works. How’s the bath and tea coming along?” Camilla asked her.

“No bath, no tea. No handles, no kitchen. Use phone?” the maid disappeared.

“Well, we need a new hotel room, this one does not work,” said Camilla. She went to the pone, picked it up, and said, “This is Mrs. Salinas in room X, nothing works here and we either need it to work or need another room. Thank you.”

In less than 2 minutes, two hotel attendants were at the room knocking at the door. “We heard there may be maintenance issues with your room. Mind if we take a look around?”

The attendants checked and found there was nothing wrong with the room. They ended up explaining how everything works and how the room could also be controlled by their phones through the application. Demonstrations were also performed on how to use the panels to manipulate the lights, music, turn on the shower and manipulate the temperatures. This was a fancier suite so it did in fact have a tub as well as a shower. The attendants demonstrated how to use the control panels for those as well.

“This controls the lights. You want 100% illumination? 50%? See, just move this dial here.” He showed them on the touch screen. “Or use your app.” Aside from what was in the minibar, they explained that everything else had to be ordered via room service or going to one of the hotel restaurants or lounges.

“Call or use the application please. You want food, drink, cocaine, MDMA, massage...menu is there. Just use the app or call the lobby. We’ll have it brought to you as soon as possible.” One of them explained.

Fifteen minutes after they entered, the suite’s phone began to ring.

Jaime went over to the telephone and answered, “Jaime Salinas?”

“Jaime! It’s ya boyyyyy!” A voice replied enthusiastically. The voice was that of Joel Tanaka was his wealth manager who worked for Takiji-Shiko, an investment bank under the umbrella of Civic Bank of Avantine. They had talked over the phone many times and Joel had been present at Jaime’s wedding. “I got Dex here with me, your attorney. Dex, say what’s up.”

“Mr. Salinas! It’s Dexter Cormick. Welcome to Avantine!” Another voice exclaimed. Dexter Cormick was the attorney with the firm Rochfort-Senzo that Joel had recommended and his personal friend. He had been the one looking over and refining the contracts with the various companies Jaime and Camilla were going to work with.

“We’re in the lobby Jaime. Meet us at the top floor for dinner. You and your pretty wife. Wear something nice too. No need to rush. We'll just pound some drinks while we wait but don't take too long please. Then we got a whole night ahead of us. It’s going to get WILD!” Joel said.
Last edited by Novitera on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:25 pm

“Alright, I’ll see you boys in a bit.” Jaime said and hung up the phone. He turned and looked over at Camilla, “Hey Cami, they want to meet us for dinner in a bit. The call was kind of confusing though, they said wear something nice, but that it was going to get wild. Whatever, you feeling up for dinner?”

Camilla, by this time, was lying in the huge tub surrounded by fluffy suds, with her face rosy with relaxation, her honey-brown wavy hair piled up high with damp tendrils around her damp face. Ming had laid out her dress and his evening wear, and was soaping her mistress’ shoulders.

“Something nice? What’s that mean?” she called out. “Why don’t you join me, honey?” She stuck a slim foot up and flicked suds at him.

Jaime stripped off and slid into the tub opposite of Camilla, “I guess they must mean a dress or something. Ming, can you go and iron some of my clothes? I don’t want to wear a tie, but get a button up and a jacket ready for me.”

“Ah, Master,” she replied, bowing and heading out of the bathroom, wiping her hands on a towel and muttering in Haklo to herself.

“Uh, I’m not sure I’ll have the energy after that flight. I’ll need to get some coffee or something.” Jaime said, lying his head back against the edge of the tub.

“That’s a good idea…” sighed Camilla. “Oh, poo, I had hoped to rest before we did much of anything. But we must be gracious. Who are we dining with again?” She gracefully glided her foot against his leg under the water.

Jaime smiled at the touch of her foot, and felt himself becoming stimulated, “Joel Tanaka, my wealth manager, and the lawyer he arranged for us.”

Jaime reached out and pulled Camilla to sit between his legs and to lean back against his chest, “These people will do a lot for us, so I think it is important to show we are appreciative. We should have Ming ask your brothers if they care to join us.”

“Of course…” Camilla leaned her head against his chest and when Ming came in, she spoke to her about it.

Reluctantly, Camilla finished her bath before she felt truly done, was rinsed off, and had Ming help her with her makeup, do her hair so that it was an artful wavy tumble, and put on a light red evening dress.

Her brothers each put on a white dinner jacket displaying their medals with black snug trousers and black riding boots that were well tailored to show off their fine torsos and legs. “Hello, Jaime, they greeted him, “Did you have to bring this old dishmop with you?” said Uzziel.

“Ignore him,” said Camilla to Jaime. “My brother was traded at birth with a strategically shaved monkey.”

“Clearly, I mean I don’t think you are capable of cleaning a floor.” Jaime joked, “Shall we?”

“Of course I can, I would just make sure someone did it,” replied Camilla.

He led the way to the elevator and got in, “I suppose I hit the highest number, they said the top floor.”

The other three got in with him.

“Did you both figure out the shower?” asked Camilla.

“Hm? Vim worked it out, why, was something wrong with it?” asked Max, surprised.

“I didn’t notice anything wrong,” said Uzziel.

“They can hardly do without Vim,” Camilla told Jaime.

The doors opened to a sort of lobby area decorated similarly to the lobby downstairs but smaller with a set of stairs leading up. Here there were men in suits who no doubt had pistols in their jackets. A red rope cordon separated them and the rest of the area. At first the party was stopped by them and asked to see their hotel keycards or IDs explaining this was a private club for hotel guests or club members.

Uzziel paused. “Is there a crime problem here, Jaime?”

“I had read that there was, but I didn't think it was this serious.” Jaime muttered back.

“Are we in danger?” asked Camilla, putting her arm through his.

“No, no, I am sure they have it well in hand. It’s like when you went to Southern Chaco remember? They have armed security everywhere because of the bombings, but it was a sign that you were safe. It’s probably the same way here.” Jaime explained.

“They’re with us.” A voice called out. It was Joel sitting on one of the lounge chair who waved and walked over. Following behind was another man who could only be Dexter.

The guard nodded and opened up the rope for them to enter. Joel was the better built man with Eurasian features. He had a clean shaven face and dark brown hair that was longer than normal. The bangs of which could touch his black plastic frame glasses. Dexter was slim and a bit shorter. He had cropped his hair short on the sides and combed it on the top. Both of them were wearing suits of charcoal black and were approaching the party with smiles on their faces.

“Look at you man! Married and looking all fly!” He shook Jaime’s hand and reached his arm around to pat him on the back. “This is Dex.” Dex extended a hand politely.

“I know who you are. Welcome Mrs. Salinas! You look stunning!” Joel said to Camilla. “I don’t know if you remember me. I was at the wedding. I don’t remember much of it myself.” He made a gesture of drinking from a bottle.

“Oh yes, you were the drunk gentleman,” said Camilla. “How nice to see you again.”

“And who’s this?” He looked at Uzziel and Max.

“My brothers, Count Max Sharra and Count Uzziel Sharra,” said Camilla. The two handsome young men inclined their heads politely.

“Oh hell yeah! The more the merrier.” Responded Joel who reached out a hand.

“So apparently you have drugs. What is one you recommend?” asked Max.

Joel and Dexter looked at each other then back at Max. “Right to business I see.” Joel reached into his jacket to pull out a vial that contained a white powder and a little baggie with some pills in them. “Carlano Pure Cocaine and MDMA my friend. But let’s wait until after the meal. Ruins your appetite. Yeah?”

“Thank you,” said Max, accepting it and putting it in his dinner jacket pocket.

“What is that big spire?” asked Uzziel. “And, I’m sorry, what is it that you do, Mr…?”

“Is he talking about the Glimmering Spire?” Asked Joel to Dexter.

“You mean the one with all the circular big screens?” Asked Dexter. “That’s the Glimmering Spire. It’s just a landmark sort of thing. Make the city prettier and shows advertisements.” He explained.

“I told you it was a spire,” Uzziel told Camilla.

“Yes, but you didn’t explain it,” she shot back.

“What more was needed?” he replied.

Jaime jumped in, “These are Mr. Joel Tanaka and Mr. Dexter Cormick. Joel is my wealth manager and Mr. Cormick is an attorney who is going to help Cami and I through the endorsement deals.”

Jaime turned to them, “Great to see you both. How are you guys doing?”

“Oh we’re good man. Really good. Been up since 5:30 but it’s Friday night and you’re in town. Time to partay!” Joel said.

“Shall we go sit?” Asked Dexter and gestured in the direction of the stairs.

The stairs led to an open deck which was the top of the building. From here was an even better view of the Avantine skyline and the many lights surrounding them. Some spotlights shown from the top of buildings in the distance straight up into the sky. The top deck itself was a sort of restaurant. There were various tables all covered with white tablecloths. In the center of it was another pond that had water running off the sides to be collected into drains. A waitress led them to a table which was right up against the edge. An opaque barrier that went to the waist followed by thick glass higher than their heads when they were standing separated them from falling off the edge.

Tonight the restaurant seemed to be lively. Many others were sitting at the other tables chattering among themselves. A few turned their heads to look at the uniforms of Max and Uzziel. At the other end a woman and DJ were performing live entertainment but it was not so loud as to disturb the patron’s conversations. Everyone was dressed well in either suits or dresses and some women in business suits of their own. A corpulent man laughed loudly and patted his belly while his companions imitated his laughter. Visible from where they were sitting was a megascreen on the side of another building displaying the news. There were clips of Chacano and Edomite troops marching as well as Noviteran jets taking off the runway at Durkland. It then panned to a clip of General Takeda walking around the base at Durkland with General Hermengild talking. It quickly switched then to a pretty woman dancing then holding up a bottle of Rafe Cola. The screen went black then the Rafe logo appeared.

“My ears are assaulted by the cacophony of this vile euterpian entertainment,” said Max in Baran to Camilla and Uzziel.

Camilla faintly frowned just a moment. Though the view was impressive, she felt a bit disappointed. It seemed a banal, generic restaurant.

Customarily, the waiter presented them with hot towels from tongs to clean their hands. Then a pot of matcha green tea was set out for them with tea cups. This was complementary. “Good evening everybody. Welcome to the Indigo Club. I see that everyone is looking excellent tonight.” The waiter said politely in Latin being astute enough to recognize there were foreigners among them.

“My name is Elliot. I will be serving you.”

“Hey Elliot. How’s your night man?” Responded Joel.

“Very good sir. All the better that I will be having all of you as my company for the evening. Then I will be off to check out Auto Fest.”

“Oh yeah? You like cars? We might go too.” Asked Joel. The waiter and Joel chatted briefly on that subject.

“I must not ramble too much about my own interests. May I take everyone’s drink orders?” He asked.

The Edomites were cleaning their hands.

“Why don’t we have a bottle of Deva Victrix ‘75,” suggested Max, “If you’ve got that.”

“I will speak to the Sommelier but I believe we do. Very good choice sir.” Elliot the waiter remarked.

“That sounds nice,” agreed Camilla. “Just to start with perhaps. Jaime, do you want something a bit stronger?”

“Not yet sweet heart, if we are going to be up for a while I don’t want to get too buzzed.” Jaime explained to Camilla. Then to the waiter he said, “Could I actually get a coffee?”

“Of course!” Elliot replied.

He turned back to his wife, “I’ll order something better when we order food. I need to perk up a bit.”

“Oh I forgot that part, yes, I’ll have that too.” Camilla agreed.

“I still want the wine,” said Max.

“Let me get a Hakushu 20 year. Neat.” Dexter said.

“Asahi Dry.” Joel said.

“Really? I’ve got the firm card. We can only afford a place like this once every couple months on our own.” Said Dexter.

Joel shrugged. “I like what I like.”

“So Joel, what’s on the docket for tonight? What do you have planned?” Jaime asked.

As the waiter left Joel spoke up. “Well, it’s Avantine. So many options. But we got two mostly. Hit up a nice lounge bar. Something calm. Or we can hit up a club. Get really crazy. There’s also Auto Fest. I think we should stop by. They close down the streets in the Niwa District. Lot of people walking around and those who registered to be in it show off their cars. Drinks and food. Legal street races. It’s lots of fun. What do you all think?” Asked Joel.

“A club sounds fun,” said Max.

“What kind of club?” asked Camilla. “Are women allowed to go into bars here?”

Joel and Dexter looked at each other then laughed. “Oh...like a rave and dance club. Laser lights, dancing, drinks. It’s fun. And...nobody would go if there weren’t any women there. Ha!” Joel explained.

“Things are a bit different here. Women and men can go wherever they want. No restrictions. Free country.” Dexter said.

Jaime smiled, “I don't think I have it in me to go to a rave. Maybe if I was unmarried and ten years younger. The boys maybe could go. Give them some MDMA and some glow sticks.”

Camilla said, “Oh my gosh. I thought we would just have a nice dinner, get to know you gentlemen a little bit, enjoy some pleasant conversation, and then go to bed early. We’re both a little tired.”

Joel’s face fell. “Ok...ok. If you’re tired, I get it. No pressure but let me offer you this. Let’s go check out Auto Fest. Just take a look around. Trust me, there’s nothing else like it anywhere in the Region. Then if Uzziel and Max here want to party, I’ll take you guys to a party. Huh? What about that?”

Max and Uzziel glanced at one another. “Yes,” said Uzziel, “We like the idea of this Auto Fest, and there was some other thing we saw downtown that looked interesting, naughty ladies in funny clothes and hair walking around and music. A lot going on, we would like the tour.”

Camilla leaned over and murmured, “Be careful, don’t do anything that will drain Papa’s purse.”

“You wound me, sister,” replied Max.

“I like your brothers.” Said Joel to Camilla. “I like you two.” He said then smiled.

“Honey, do you want to go to Auto Fest?” Camilla asked Jaime.

“Yes, I think that would be fun to see. Let’s do it. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten to be a tourist while traveling to another country, it’s usually just in Uniform.” Said Jaime.

“YES! Excellent!” Joel exclaimed and slapped his hand down on the table. The Edomites all started when he slapped the table. Camilla looked at Jaime questioningly.

At that moment Dexter looked over the shoulder of Jaime. “Is that Jesse over there?”

While the other men were distracted Jaime leaned over and whispered, “Sweetheart, stay in. I don’t want to upset these guys though on the first night. They are doing a lot for us. But stay and I’ll tell them you had a headache or something.”

Camilla squeezed his hand under the table. She nodded to him.

Jaime winked at her, “Don’t worry. Have Ming make you some tea or something. See if one of those touch screens can light some candles.”

“I’ll probably just listen to music and sleep,” said Camilla.

Joel looked where Dexter was looking. There were some men shaking hands as they stood from a table then started walking out. Among them was a dark blonde man with blue eyes in a suit who began to head to the door with three other older individuals.

“Psst. Jesse!” Joel called out. The dark blonde man who was Jesse turned to look at them. He said goodbye to his companions then came over. He appeared tired with bloodshot eyes but otherwise was not a bad looking fellow. “You come here often Jesse?” Asked Dexter.

“Psssh. We were trying to sell to a potential client. I can’t afford to eat here. Living on two credit cards right now. Who’s this?” Jesse looking at the people at the table.

“Your startup is still in the red huh? This is our client Jaime Salinas. You know, from the news. His wife Camilla. Camilla’s brothers Uzziel and Max.” Joel explained while gesturing at each of them.

At that Jesse’s eyes widened. “Jaime Salinas. Whoa! Nice to meet you. Yeah you look just like on the news! Well done on capturing the Empress. Pleasure to meet all of you.” He nodded at them all.

“Everyone, this is our friend Jesse Glass. We went to college together. You might know his father.” Dexter explained then jammed a thumb at the megascreen on the building opposite them. At the moment, it was playing a clip of Prime Director Thomas Glass speaking from a podium about Novitera’s credit situation.

Jesse sighed at the mention of his father. “Sit with us for a bit Jesse. Do you guys mind?” Dexter asked looking at the group.

“Are you Mr. Glass’s son?” asked Camilla in her friendly, polite way. “I see a resemblance. Congratulations on your father’s political victory. And thank you for your kind words to my husband, I am very proud of him.”

“Yes. That’s my dad. And thank you Miss.” Jesse answered.

“Major Count Max Sharra,” said Max, inclining his head politely.

“Lieutenant Count Uzziel Sharra,” said his brother.

Jaime stood to shake his hand, “Thank you Mr. Glass. A pleasure to meet you. Congratulations for your father. So, what line of work are you in?”

“I’ll stay for a bit but guys I’m running on fumes. I need some sleep.” He pulled a chair from another table and sat down. “I work for a startup. New company. We sell software that analyzes data in telecommunications to help companies in that sector maximize efficiencies. I know, boring. But if it takes off I’ll be rich. For now, I’m living month to month.”

“Trying to get out from under Daddy’s shadow huh?” Dexter asked.

“Trying.” He replied.

“Oh that Glass, the one who sold fish?” asked Uzziel. Everything that Jesse had said was gibberish to him.

“Sh, yes, The Fishmonger,” murmured Camilla.

“Speaking of fish, I’m hungry,” said Max. “Where’s that waiter?”

Jesse smiled at their mention of his father being in the fish business. “We call them fish dealers. Still talks about it once in a while. Sometimes I think he wants to give it all up to go back to it.” He chuckled.

The waiter with the drinks and offered to take everyone’s order. This was a traditional Noviteran restaurant. Therefore the cuisine was a combination of Noviteran and Han. They may have noticed there were no spoons,forks or knives on the table. Only chopsticks, a bottle of choice sauce and jar of chilli sauce. On the menu was different kinds of sushi which included rolls, nigiri and sashimi. There were udon and ramen bowls, soba noodles, peking duck, bulgogi, different kinds of dumplings and wagyu beef. Vegetable dishes included ong choy, bok choy, asparagus among other things.

Camilla puzzled over the menu, and leaned in to Jaime. “Honey, what do you recommend? They don’t have any chops or sausage or anything.”

Jaime looked over the menu, “ I think we should get some of the noodles and kobe beef. I have heard a lot about it but never tried it. Should I get something else or do you think that will satisfy the doctor?”

“You must drink mint tea and you must have some of these grilled vegetables with it, to provide you with vitamins.” Camilla said firmly.

Max said, “Well, I shall have an order of dumplings, an order of these noodles, the peking duck, and a ramen bowl. How about you, little brother?”

“That all sounds good. We have been to war, and then we flew across the continent, and now we require fortification for our pleasures this night!” exclaimed Uzziel. “Our boots are fresh washed from the blood of the Deadorans!” He pondered. “Also, what is sa-shi-mi? What is ni-gi-ri?”

Dexter explained to them what it was. “It’s the style you see. Nigiri comes with rice on the bottom. Sashimi is just the fish. My favorite is the bluefin tuna. Delicious.”

“Oh duck sounds good Max, I’ll get some of that as well. And of course the mint tea and grilled vegetables.” Jaime looked at the Noviterans, “I am still underweight from the jungle. I came out of Solisia weighing 120 pounds, I’m trying to build back up.”

Joel opened his palms. “Whatever you want my man. See the companies you contracted with put together a pretty hefty slush fund for your entertainment and hospitality expenses. We gotta make sure you spend it before you leave this town.”

Dexter ordered an assortment of sushi while Joel got some soba noodles and dumplings. While the food was being prepared the waiter brought them the complementary side dishes. A bowl of miso soup for each of them which was eaten by slurping it straight from the bowl which Dexter and Joel did loudly. Then small bowls of fermented bean sprouts, fish cakes and kimchi.

Jesse Glass took his leave at this point saying goodbye. Joel tried to plead with Jesse to go out with them but the man was adamant he needed some sleep.

Nearing the time for them to receive their food, the waiter presented them with rice bowls first. He then returned with the cart of food and placed everyone’s dishes in front of them. The peking duck came special though. Another cart was brought out by a chef who expertly cut cooked duck in front of them. He cut it into slices to easily handled and arrayed them overlapping artfully on a tray and presented it to the group.

Max nodded to him and then said, “There are no forks or knives, fellow. What gives?”

“Ah, we have forks and knives in case. I will fetch you some sir.” The waiter said then returned with utensils.

“We don’t eat with forks and knives here. Cultural thing. But places carry them for foreigners.” Dexter explained.

‘Oh. Well, we do in Fineberg,” said Uzziel.

“Oh yeah. That’s the stuff.” Joel picked up his rice bowl first to bring it to his mouth and scoop up some of the rice with chopsticks to bring it to his mouth.

Camilla widened her eyes at this and looked at Jaime.

Jaime sipped some of the soup but did not find it that enjoyable so he mainly waited for the main dishes to arrive. He happily ate the duck, “Cami, try this, it’s pretty good. Good call Max!”

“I thought, as they say, you know where you are with a duck,” said Max with pleasure. “Thank you, fellow. Now a man can eat!”

Having received the food, however, the Edomites began to talk among themselves, and with Jaime and Joel and Dex.

“So tell us about your folk, Joel. Where does your family live?” Max asked him.

Joel was slurping up some noodles when Max asked him that question. He held up a finger as he chewed then spoke. “I’m from Heselory and that’s where my family still is. Out West. If you don’t know, that’s where most Noviteran entertainment and a lot of tech industry is. Lai Dai for instance is headquartered out there. That’s where they’re building the so-called ‘Tower of Babel’ which is supposed to be the construction project of the decade. Dad works as an insurance adjuster, mom is a property manager for a rental agency.” He replied then pointed at Dexter. “Dex here is Avantine born and raised though.”

Dexter nodded. “Yup. I’ve travelled for tourism. Adiron, Tericio, Ayaca. New Edom is next on my list. My firm opened up an office there just recently. But yeah, only ever lived here. Parents are divorced. So my dad and brother are here. Dad is a partner at a small personal injury law firm. Mom moved to Dabrid many years ago working for an auto manufacturer out there.”

“So you and Uzziel are military huh?” Dexter looked at his uniform. “I guess you kind of have to be in your culture with your father being who he is. Big player in the game as we would say. I know Jaime saw some serious action in the war. Sounds like you guys did too? Hardcore.” Dexter said. Joel nodded in agreement.

“We are both in the Cavalry Guards,” said Max with pleasure. “I command the 1st Squadron, my little brother here commands a Reconnaissance Platoon. We saw action in Kehrahn and in Aedora.”

“Very admirable. From what we hear on the news, you guys are stomping the Feminists! Seems to be a ‘wow’ story almost every week.” Dexter responded genuinely then looked at Jaime. “The stock market shot up when the story of how you captured the Empress came out. You made a lot of people a lot of money on that day. Me included. So thanks.”

“I put my money and your money into the market right before the Battle of Shamvigra.” Joel said to Jaime. “Cha ching!” He exclaimed and gestured by doing a silly dance while rubbing his fingers together on both hands.

Dexter raised his glass. “To the militaries of Chaco and New Edom. And to the health, wealth and happiness of your enemies’ enemy, Novitera.” He said happily then took a drink.

“To the Allies of Virtue,” said Max. His sister and brother also raised their glasses.

Jaime smiled and laughed, “I’m just happy that I contributed towards the betterment of society for all of you gentlemen.”

Later on the singer took a break leaving it to the DJ to just play songs from a playlist. A light pop song came on. Joel and Dexter continued on with their meals in a Noviteran fashion which involved picking up the bowls and bringing them close to their mouths.

Jaime stopped eating at the sound of the new song and turned and made a face to Camilla, “What is this? The pedophile rap?”

“It sounds like weird children singing,” said Camilla.

“I like not this music,” said Uzziel. “Nor do I understand why this fish was not properly cooked, and is cold. It is like something that the Elwe would eat.”

“The music is just generic pop. They play it in public places because its innocuous enough. Apologies if its not to your liking. You learn to tune it out.” Explained Joel.

“The Elwe are beautiful people,” said Camilla. “So romantic.”

“They are. They are also barbarian heathens,” said Uzziel.

“This is so. I love the Elwe, but they are barbarian heathens. Adn why isn't this fish cooked?” asked Max.

Dexter leaned in. “That is called sushi. It is a style of seafood we are known for. Traditional Noviteran cuisine. The fish is deliberately served raw and fresh in an artful way. You may enjoy it in such form. Cooking it really removes a lot of the flavor.” He explained.

Towards the end of their meal, Elliot the waiter returned with a handheld device and the bill. Looking at the bill, Dexter whistled. “Sure glad I have the firm card. My goodness. This place is highway robbery.”

Dexter paid by tapping his phone to the device causing an audible beep from it. Elliot inspected the screen on the device and nodded. “Thank you sir. I wish you all a good night.” He said to them all then pulled out a laminated card to set it down on the table before leaving.

“That’s for the tip.” Dexter explained if anybody was wondering.

It had Elliot’s picture, his name and an abstract dotted image on it which was clearly a QR code. Using his phone, Dexter took a picture of the code that allowed his phone to link up with Elliot’s account. So they knew what he was doing, Dexter set the phone down on the table so they could see. Elliot’s account was pulled up that included a picture of him. He typed out a generous sum of money then tapped another button. “PAYMENT SENT TO ELLIOT LANGER”, the screen said.

“We all ready to roll? I’ll call the EZRide unless you guys want to take the subway. True Avantine experience.” Joel asked he said beckoning for them to choose.

“I’ll notify the security company.” Dexter said.

Jaime stood up from the table, “Thank you very much for dinner gentlemen. Let’s do what's easiest.”

He glanced at Camilla, “My wife is feeling very tired from the flight. I think I’m going to make her stay in tonight and get some rest. Let me go and drop her off at her room and I’ll meet everyone down in the lobby.”

“Make her?” Asked Joel.

Dexter looked at him and shook his head.

“Right! Well you have a good night Mrs. Salinas. It’s a shame you cannot enjoy the night with us but there’ll be plenty of time to be a tourist later.” Joel said.

“Yes, you have fun, honey, I’m going to get in an early night,” she replied, kissing him. “Gentlemen, thank you so much for dinner and a lovely evening.”

Max said, “What’s an EZ ride? Why don’t we get a taxi if you don’t have your own vehicles?”

Joel leaned over to show him his phone. “It’s like a taxi. You order a car and driver through this app right. See, it shows you the map of the city and these icons are available cars. I set the pick up pin here then I set the drop off pin over there in the area where Auto Fest is happening. I also state how many passengers. Car needs to be big enough to fit all of us. And I select the level of ‘luxury’. Let’s put it at the highest. As you can see, the app estimates a fare for the trip. I then click order.” He did so. The icons on the application showed it appeared to be calculating.

“Ah there! Application has now matched us with a driver. His name is Colten. As you can see, we will be riding in a black SUV. He will be here in 15 minutes. Fare will be 62 dollars. See you all in the lobby!” Joel exclaimed.

Camilla said, dubiously, “Well, have fun Jaime...that all took my breath away…”

“Yes, I barely know what happened,” said Uzziel. “But...I’ll see you later, sis, have fun relaxing with your home spa.”

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm

WRITTEN W/ CHACO AND NEW EDOM

Another drive through the city took them towards the Niwa District which was known for having the best shopping center in town. They once again passed through a realm of concrete, steel, and neon lights. This time, the route took them even closer to the Glittering Spire and they were able to get a clear view of the extravagant edifice. At the top was a restaurant and observation deck for tourists but other than that, the Spire served no purpose other than to play advertisements.

Suddenly they reached an intersection that was blocked off by cones and two police squad cars. Several officers were standing around, some with shotguns. The SUV would have to drop them off here. Foot traffic filtered in past the police officers who were eyeing everyone warily. Already waiting on the sidewalk were Simon and Pat. Simon was smoking a cigarette when they arrived. He put it out and gave Jaime a nod. The two began to walk with them subtly as if they were not part of Jaime’s group but simply with them by circumstance.

The party would have to join the crowd entering the streets that were blocked off. The styles of dress here were quite diverse. Some, like Joel and Dexter wore suits. Others had more casual business attire of dress shirts and khakis. There were also many people wearing jeans and casual outfits. Women had on everything from business suits, cocktail dresses, and jean booty shorts. Among the crowds as well were people in the outlandish “cyber” attire as it was called. A woman walked past them that had on purple eyeshadow, fishnet stockings, very short spandex shorts and LED lights embedded into her clothing. There were also groups of promoters handing out coupons and flyers for whatever company they represented. Finally there were a great many police officers, all of them either standing watch or walking around in groups of 2 or 4. Some were openly carrying AR rifles, shotguns and MP7s.

“Someone’s expecting trouble,” observed Max, feeling rather naked.

“Ah, maybe some brawls but no real trouble will happen here.” Dex replied.

Jaime felt a bit unsure, he was used to having soldiers and police armed and on street corners and patrolling the streets, but the way that the people acted here and the way the regular police officers were armed made him feel uneasy. He commented to Max, “Is street crime really that bad here?”

“I have no idea, but I’m noticing the way they are keeping in little groups like they’re gearing up for an op,” said Max.

The first street they passed had a group of 8 men on crotch rocket black and white motorcycles moving in formation two by two. All wore matching black suits and black helmets. Suddenly they popped wheelies and sped down the street to the cheering of crowds. Following them was a convoy of cars, each one being some kind of high performance sports car or extravagant luxury sedan. Among the vehicles visible were Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bentley, muscle cars, Porsche, Rolls Royce, McLaren, Rimac, Mercedes, Bugatti and only the highest end vehicles available on the market. They seemed to all turn a corner further down the street.

“My gosh, look at all the wheels!” exclaimed Uzziel. “Some fancy road racing gear ahead! Some gear, I’d say…”

“Lalery’s got a Bugatti, it’s a swell piece,” observed Max. “Too nice for me, though. Don’t need to drive folks around so much, you see. I think I’d like a Porsche. You should get one, Jaime, since you have the Coppers now, Camilla would like that, she likes to feel her hair fly in the wind.”

Joel leaned into Jaime. “Talk to me first before you go blow big money like that.” He whispered then patted him on the back.

“So Auto Fest…” Joel began to explain. “Keeping it simple, Noviteran auto companies sponsor this event. Rich people in the city bring their cars and bikes to show off. It’s for fun, promotes the auto industry and the local shops like it because it boosts sales in the area.”

Max and Uzziel were a little puzzled by this. “Show them off for what?” wondered Uzziel. “To one another? What’s the point?”

“To each other, to the world, to pretty ladies, to potential customers…I guess the main point is to appreciate automotive engineering and...to party!” Joel exclaimed.

Max looked at Uzziel, and they both shrugged.

Moving forward, it was clear a significant portion of the district streets had been closed down. They passed an entire street that was having drag races, 2 cars at a time. Crowds lined the sides cheering them on. Their cries competed against the loud engines. As they arrived the two cars set to race were a Ferrari and McLaren. Their loud engines revved up as a pretty woman in a cheerleader outfit that said “Natomo Auto” stood in the middle of them. She smiled, wiggled her hips, raised her hands over her head and dropped them. They hit the gas. Smoke filled the air and wheels screeched on the ground until they finally found traction. The cars zoomed off down the street.

This part did excite the brothers. The race openly in the street was so unthinkable back home that they were as shocked as a Noviteran might be at showing up naked to a job interview. They cheered and clapped with others as the race began.

Jaime whistled, “I’ve never actually seen a McLaren before. Those things move.”

“It’s a bit of gas and it leaps forward,” exclaimed Uzziel.

“I wouldn’t put it that simply. Such a vehicle is a testament to human ingenuity.” Dex responded.

Some little details may be noticeable if any of them were paying attention. One was that another two men in suits were eyeing the group of them. As Jaime’s group walked, another group of rough looking men were walking towards them in the opposite direction. What seemed to be their leader was a muscular man wearing cargo pants, boots and an unzipped vest with nothing underneath so his bare chest and six pack of abdominal muscles were showing. Tattoos dotted his arms and torso. Everyone seemed to be getting out of the way for them. Their leader was stopped by the two men in suits eyeing Jaime’s group. One of the suited men pulled up his sleeve to show the leader a tattoo of his own then jammed his thumb towards the other side of the street. The leader looked at Jaime’s group, looked at the two men who stopped them and seemed displeased. He appeared to snarl something at the two men before he and his band of thugs crossed to the other side of the street and went on their way. The suited men walked off afterwards disappearing into the crowds, one of them lighting a cigarette as he did.

“They seem like the smuggling and drug gangs in Queimada” Jaime said to the Sharra boys, “Ruthless thugs all of them.”

“What?” said Uzziel, who had been focused on the race.

Whistles blew behind Jaime’s group as a group of police officers ran past them in the direction they were going. “This is Unit 7-2, we’re on it!” One of them was saying into his radio as he ran. They got to find out what was going on just moments later proceeding down the street. Police officers were breaking up a fight between a group of young men wearing blue vests and another wearing red vests over their dress shirts and slacks. Easily recognizable corporate logos were visible on the backs of their vests. None of them seemed particularly athletic or formidable. A mob was watching.

The two brothers were totally surprised by this, as they had not noticed the fighting, so distracted were they by the loud storming of engines and the cries and shouts of hte crowd, that by the time the police charged, it seemed almost over.

“Oh, that’s why they are so armed,” observed Max.

“Good boot use there,” said Uzziel. “These fellows know how to stomp.”

There was still fighting and cursing when they arrived as the officers were trying to get a handle on the situation. It was clear the brawlers were drunk. Some were on their feet swinging at each other and some were wrestling on the ground.

“Fuck Lai Dai!” A red vested man yelled while taking a swing at a blue vest and missing completely. The lack of balance in his technique combined with his drunkenness caused him to fall over. His blue vested target kicked him while he was on the ground and was about to kick again when a police officer grabbed him and threw him on the ground as well.

“Stay down! Don’t fucking move!” The officer yelled.

“Punk ass Ishukoni boys. You’re fucking lucky!” The man taunted his opponent as he was being put into an arm bar and cuffed.

There was more scuffling.

“Police! Get on the ground! Shut the fuck up!”

“Lai Dai Ichiban!”

”Taser! Taser!”

Pop

“Arrgghh!”
[/i]

The police seemed to deal with the situation efficiently. They had all the men cuffed behind their backs and sitting against the wall of a building rather quickly just as two police vans arrived.

Joel laughed. “Well, good show huh?” Asked Dex to the group of them.

Jaime was confused. He asked the guides, “Are we in some kind of gang area? Should we be here?”

Dex held up his hands. “Look around you.” He said then pointed to some police officers. “This is Niwa District. Best shopping center in Cornellia I’d say. Normally the gangs stick to their turfs in poorer areas. But a gathering like this brings everybody. That’s why you got all these cops. They wouldn’t dare try anything here. We’re good.”

Simon, the bodyguard leaned in. “Do not worry Mr. Salinas. I talked to some of my pals in the police. Word on the street is the local Mafia painted a red light on all of you. That means every gangster, thug, robber and thief in Avantine must stay well away or find themselves at the bottom of the Delphic.” He said then smiled at Jaime.

Joel overheard. “Really?! Why would the Mob go through the trouble of doing that?”

Simon shrugged. “They must have been paid off. Who? I don’t know.”

“Don’t understand what’s going on, but the race is fun,” said Max. “I don’t know why people fight over cell phones here, your people are strange.”

“Well they’re just drunken idiots. But it’s the competition, not the phones per se. Of course there’ll be animosity between the employees of any two rival companies! Such is natural.” Joel explained to Max.

“I don’t understand why you have whores starting races,” said Uzziel. “Is there some significance to the bundles of feathers or cloth or whatever it is the woman was holding? Is it an emblem of something?”

“She’s supposed to be a cheerleader,” Max told him, “Which is a kind of harlot that dances like a sacred prostitute for athletes, and they get to have them after the game.”

“Oh, I have seen this,” said Uzziel, nodding.

“I doubt she’s an actual whore. Probably a model paid to wear that getup or an actual professional dancer. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she had a sugar daddy.” Dex said.

They finally reached a calmer street with no loud engines and cheering crowds. This one totally allowed for the foot traffic to walk down the middle of the road. But there was still music playing on loudspeakers. All along the sides of the street were many high end cars as seen before for four blocks. Their owners stood by them as people stopped to admire their cars. Many had the hoods popped open so people could inspect the engines.

There were also stands selling food and drinks. Joel stopped to buy them all some bottled Chacano beer to drink while walking around.

”Cocaine! Carlano Cocaine! Half, two thirds and pure! Get your cocaine here!” A man yelled from a stand that was well guarded.

“I shall have some of that,” said Max. “For me, my brother and my friends. No no,” he said to his Noviteran companions, “My treat this time.” he snapped his fingers at the man calling out.

“That’s what I’m talking about!” Joel replied.

“Thank you.” Dex said.

The merchant stepped forward. It was a skinny man in a polo t-shirt. “What’ll you have? Pure?” He set down two small plastic vials of different sizes. “90 for a gram, 50 for a half gram.”

“We shall have pure, I think, and I shall have one. Enough for me and my friends.” Max informed him. “We’ll have four cocaines please.”

The merchant raised an eyebrow then slowly placed four one gram vials before him. Max did not specify so he took the opportunity to sell the more expensive larger containers. He looked at Max as if to find confirmation that is what he wanted. “That’ll be 367 and 30 cents please.” He said.

Max pulled out a roll of Noviteran credits, and counted them out, which made Uzziel smile, for it was so like the manner of their father. “There you are. That is 380. I have no change but keep that for your kindness. May your family prosper.”

“Oh! Thank you sir. Enjoy your evening with the finest cocaine in Cornellia.” He replied.

“No thank you Max. Could lose my commision over it.” Jaime said.

“We will wait till we are more at our leisure before we sample Cornellia’s finest,” said Max.

“Must we?” asked Uzziel.

“Yes,” said Max.

Jaime’s group passed a woman with mixed Asian and Caucasian features standing by her silver Aston Martin. She had on a nice silver cocktail dress that exposed her arms and went down to a little above her knees then flared out. The neckline was not so low cut as to be openly lewd as was all too common in Novitera but did show a hint of cleavage for her well shaped breasts. Her dark brown hair was cut into a shaggy bob style. Heads turned as they passed because she was a very lovely looking woman.

“I like your uniforms.” She called out to Max and Uzziel, smiling at them.

“Thank you, I’m afraid I don’t know if your dress is a uniform as well, for I only see you wearing it.” said Max. “Who are you, my honey?”

“My honey? I like that. My name is Daisy.” She seemed pleased. Daisy stepped forward and held out her hand confidently. “Where are you from soldier?”

“We are Edomites, we are Guards officers,” explained Max. “This my younger brother, Uziel, and I’m Max. And what sort of person are you, Daisy?”

“I recognize that woman. But how?” Dex said out loud to no one in particular.

“Yeah, she is familiar. Hmm…” Joel remarked as well.

“Oh, very cool. I see a lot of clips of the Edomite Army on the news. Welcome to Avantine.” Daisy replied sweetly. “What sort of person? Ummm….” She did not seem to understand what they were asking. “I own a business here in Avantine. We do billboard real estate and run a few auto dealerships. That’s why I’m out here actually. Trying to promote my cars.” Daisy gestured at the Aston Martin. “Not actually mine. Belongs to my corporation. I don’t like driving around in something so flashy. Here take my card.” Daisy said then handed Max and Uzziel a business card.

Daisy Akilen
Otter Group Inc.
Founder, Owner and CEO

“What are you boys up to tonight? What brings you to Avantine anyways?” She asked curiously.

“We are accompanying our brother in law and sister. They are here because they are part of a promotional tour,” explained Uzziel. “For some big companies. Our brother, Jaime Salinas, is a great hero, and his wife is a tennis star. We, alas, are merely Guards officers as said, enjoying the rare sights of your city.”

“Wait, this company is your own?” said Max. “You must be a very smart woman.”

Daisy nodded. “Yes. It is mine. Thank you. I…” She blushed and played with her hair. “I had a lot of help and good fortune. Wait, big companies? Jaime Salinas...that’s Jaime Salinas the Chacano commando?” She said and looked at Jaime, squinting her eyes at him. “So it is! I’ve seen you on the news. You’re famous! Wow, nice to meet you. I’m Daisy.”

“Max.” Jaime said as they paused. He put his arm on his brother in law’s shoulder, “Let me lean on you a bit. My feet are starting to rub. I don’t want Cami to get upset from bloody socks again.”

“Of course, brother,” said Max, putting an arm around him. “We should find you a place to sit, get you some food perhaps, hey?”

“Thanks, I don't want to be rude to our hosts. I can manage it for now. I'll tell you if it gets too bad.” Jaime said thankful that someone was watching out for him.

Daisy chimned in. “Oh dear! Please, take a seat in the car. See how it feels.” She offered in a friendly way. “Chance can you…” A man in a button up and khakis opened the driver’s side door and beckoned for Jaime to get in”

Daisy was apparently with him and another well built individual wearing a form fitting muscle shirt, jeans, and a gold chain.

Jaime smiled, “Certainly, I would love to see the interior.”

Jaime let go of Max and sat in the car. He grinned and looked out, “This is terrible really, knowing what it's like to sit in one knowing you can't afford it.”

“Do you ever let people drive them around?” Jaime asked Daisy.

Daisy nodded. “Yes, of course! At the dealership.” She put her hand on the hood and leaned over. “If this is not in your budget I have plenty of rides a step or two down in tier. Still very classy. You should come around...oh, you’re not going to stay in Novitera long are you? Oh well. You’re welcome to come anyways if you want to test drive something. Bring your wife.”

At that moment the man wearing the golden chain. The big man leaned over, his arm muscles rippling. “Umm...I overheard who you are and was wondering if I could take a picture with you Mr. Salinas.” He said in very harsh sounding Noviteran Latin.

That made Daisy laugh. “Seriously Archie?”

“What?! It’s the hero of the Acheron War!” He barked. “Just one quick picture sir. If that’s ok.”

Jaime got out of the car with his smile gone, “Sure let's take a quick photo.”

He posed with them then looked at Max and Uziel, “The lady is right boys, this isnt in my budget, let’s move on.”

“Thank you, my dear, for your kindness,” said Max to Daisy, giving her a gentle spank on her rump. “God bless the mother who made you!” and with that began to move off with Uzziel, Jaime, and their Noviteran companions.

“Hey motherfucker!” Daisy said immediately after. “Who the hell said you could do that?”

Her companions stepped forward angrily. Simon and Pat did the same in response. But the area was well protected. Trouble was dealt with swiftly. Seeing the animosity two passing police officers approached. “Is there a problem here?” Both sides immediately stood down at their arrival.

“That guy....” Daisy pointed at Max. “...slapped me on the ass!”

The policemen looked at Max. “Sir, is this true?”

At that moment Dex stepped forward. “My client will be exercising his right against self-incrimination!” He said rapidly.

“We saw it.” The man named Chance stated.

“Don’t say anything. Let Dex handle this. They might arrest you.” Joel whispered to Max.

Dex seemed to be speaking to the police officers diplomatically with Daisy interjecting angrily at certain moments. All the while her companions eyed Jaime’s group menacingly. Dex seemed to be calming her down.

“Look they’re foreigners. They don’t know. And you can’t arrest him anyways. His father is President of New Edom. Fucking President. The Directorate is not going to like that.”

“We’re not under the jurisdiction of the National Directorate sir. We’re Avantine Prefecture and the law is the law no matter who his daddy is. If he’s got diplomatic immunity then you can present that at the arraignment.”

“Daisy, ma’am. How about this...I’m with Rochfort. You know how much we charge an hour and how good we are don’t you? You have a business. I’ll give you...10 hours of work no charge if we can just forget about this.” Dex was saying.

Daisy scoffed at that. “Does it look like I’m hurting for cash? 15 and an apology from him. A good one.”

“And you’ll drop the accusation?” Dex asked.

She nodded. Dex walked back to Jaime’s group. “Max, Daisy says she’ll drop it if you apologize for that spank. Easy fix. I recommend that you do or else we might be detained and questioned.”

Max was surprised by all this, and said, “No, this is foolish. I paid you a compliment, you silly woman. You are lovely, most charming, and you were flirting with me, after all. And upon my honour, anyone who attacks me or my family will pay. As for you fellows, be off with you,” he told the police. “You are not wanted here. Come gentlemen. This evening grows tiresome.”

“That doesn’t give you the right to slap my ass.” Daisy replied angrily.

“Halt right there sir!” One of the police officers cried out and approached. He was a little thicker around the waist and of middle height. The other officer was radioing for backup. “Sir you are being detained. If you try to leave we will place you under arrest. I need to ask, is this true, what this woman says?”

“Arrest him! What on Earth for?” exclaimed Uzziel, who appeared very confused.

Dex tried to interject. “My client will not incriminate himself! He has the right to remain silent! Max, say nothing.”

“He has the right to make statements if he wants to.” The police officer said over Dex’s objections. “Sir, is this true?”

Max said, “Excuse me, my dear fellow, I’m talking to this woman. Now look, Daisy,” he said kindly, “I realize that I was leaving rather abruptly. It is not because I am not interested in your cars or your business, because I am. I have your card and intend to contact you about them, if that is what you’re so upset about, but it’s not worth screeching like a stepped on cat for. As for my rights, your bottom drew my hand as a moth to a flame. How could a man resist such a fine backside? A woman as forward as you must be used to that. I appreciate your kindness to Jaime before. He is the reason I am leaving so quickly and interrupting our conversation, because he is exhausted from the jungle and his illness there, and so I must get him back to our hotel and to the loving care of his wife. If you like, we can meet up after that. It would be my pleasure, in fact.”

Uzziel rolled his eyes.

Jaime looked at the lawyer and then back at Daisy with his eyebrows raised wondering whether they would continue to push the issue over something so stupid. He leaned on Max again, “Really, I am not well and this is silly. What is the point being proven here? Is it really that big of an issue to get the police involved? You slapped him and scolded him, you gave back as good as you got.”

At this point another group of police officers arrived looking suspicious at them. All in all, there were more than Jaime’s group to make sure they were outnumbered. Two had their hands on the handles of their tasers. The police officers were going to make any resistance as unfair and short lived as they could. Daisy looked at Max’s eyes narrowly then softened.

“I should let these cops kick your ass and throw you in jail.” She said sharply. “Officer, I believe I was mistaken. It must have been another man.” Daisy stated while still looking Max in the eye with anger and desire in her gaze.

The police officer stepped away. He seemed pleased the issue had been dealt with privately. “All of you, get moving. I hear another complaint about ass slapping, ass grabbing or any other bullshit, you’re all getting arrested.” The officer turned to Daisy. “We’ll be keeping our eyes on you and yours too, Ms. Akilen.”

Max gave the police officer a faintly irritated glance like he might a barking dog, but then bowed to Daisy, a friendly inclination. “It was very nice to meet you. A fiery pepper indeed.” with a smile he left.

Immediately at the mention of her name, Joel began to frantically try to herd Jaime’s group away. “Come on guys. Let’s go. Please. Time to go. Our boy is tired. Back to the hotel. Jaime needs rest.” He said while trying to frantically herd Jaime’s group away.

“Goodnight miss. Terribly sorry. Call me about those billables.” Dex told her and walked away.

“Shit! That’s Daisy fucking Akilen? Dex, you gotta troubleshoot this man!” Joel exclaimed when they were far enough away.

Simon who overheard interjected. “Don’t worry. Daisy and her people are clean. Nothing to worry about.”

“Are you sure?!” Joel asked.

“Pretty certain. Yeah.” Simon replied nonchalantly.

“No idea what you’re talking about. She’s pretty, and very enterprising,” said Max.

“Do you fancy her, brother?” asked Uzziel, who was supporting Jaime.

“I think so. She has exotic looks, and is very pert. Well, that was interesting, though the police here act like an occupying army. I thought you Noviterans loved freedom,” he remarked, glancing at Joel.

“If we got up to some of the pranks we did in Fineberg, we should have a war on our hands,” laughed Uzziel.

Joel shrugged. “Well...imagine if somebody on the streets of Fineberg gave your sister a good pat on the behind. What’d happen then?” He asked rhetorically.

“It would be an offense, probably, but then my sister never paraded around dressed like a trollop selling cars,” pointed out Uzziel.

“Freedom yes. Do what you want to others. As long they agree to it.” Dex added. “But you should know who that was Max. Daisy Akilen. Daughter of Cole Akilen. They made a movie about him. Akilen was the head of the Avantine Mafia and the biggest crime boss in the whole country until the Feds got to him. She’s mob royalty Max. Careful. If you bed her you’ll be my hero though.” He said with a grin.

Simon decided to chime in. “Daisy was never in the business herself but she did inherit her father’s assets. There was some major restructuring in the organization after Cole Akilen went down. Some decided they had enough and would go straight. The new ‘regime’ was happy to let them leave just to get them out of the way as long as they kept away from any racketeering. Daisy took them in. These ex-mobsters work for her now. Dangerous men but tamed as far as the Avantine Police can tell.”

“Interesting. So she’s the daughter of an infamous criminal. But they have repented of their ways and gone, as you say, straight?” inquired Max as he and Uzziel helped Jaime back to their vehicles. “Still, that explains her vulgarity and foul language. But a charming woman for all that. I think I actually will give her a call.”

Return to NationStates