NATION

PASSWORD

Economy terminology.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Oankali
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Economy terminology.

Postby The Oankali » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:59 pm

I have an issue with theterminology for economy. Just because I prefer to reinvest my country's earnings back into the population that does not mean my economy is struggling. My economy's capital is based on the Calorie, a unit of work. As long as I have a thriving population my economy is more robust and effective than any wealth hoarding nation.

Consider using another, less judgemental, less capitalist term for economies with a low reserve, especially when the country is a liberal paradise.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Your economy is struggling, which is entirely a measurement of economic health, according to the game’s simulation, which is based entirely off of your issue answers. Roleplay doesn’t enter into it. The game can’t come up with a unique situation for your nation based off of the fact that your currency is "calorie", or any other entry into that custom field (like mine, which is currently "bribe")
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 pm

There exist NationStates nations that have strong, healthy economies that successfully operate without capitalism and grant prosperity to the entire population. Yours is not one of them.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 pm

The game engine is deliberately designed to be simplistic and cannot and will not calculate your nation's economic rating based on whatever your nation's canon is.

Does it kinda suck? Yeah, but the alternative would probably be literally impossible to implement lmao.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

The Oankali
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Oankali » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 am

Trotterdam wrote:There exist NationStates nations that have strong, healthy economies that successfully operate without capitalism and grant prosperity to the entire population. Yours is not one of them.

They must make concessions to freedoms that I will not abide in my borders then. I believe the matter is due more to the simplistic mechanics as well as having been constructed in a time when most governments are far right of my own.

The Oankali
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Oankali » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:17 am

Fauxia wrote:Your economy is struggling, which is entirely a measurement of economic health, according to the game’s simulation, which is based entirely off of your issue answers. Roleplay doesn’t enter into it. The game can’t come up with a unique situation for your nation based off of the fact that your currency is "calorie", or any other entry into that custom field (like mine, which is currently "bribe")

That's true. I'm role playing the economy in Starhawk's book called The Fifth Sacred Thing. It's a novel idea involving calculating the amount of work involved in a project in order to determine it's worth. It also incorporates social wealth in the form of UBI dispensed from a central bank calculated from the value of community projects which benefit all and last through time.

It would be a lot to add to the game. It might be like an entire new game.

Return to Technical