NATION

PASSWORD

Global ramifications of the Corona Crisis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meritocratic Republic of Valprinia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic Republic of Valprinia » Thu May 07, 2020 8:00 am

What should happen:
- The working week is restructured and the home becomes the workplace for many more people than it previously was.
- Extreme environmental policy changes
^ Strict carbon limits imposed by the UN with punishments ensuring that exceeding a carbon limit cannot be profitable
^ Major shifts in the electrification of vehicles as standard, perhaps having a delayed outlawing of the production of fossil-fuel-based vehicles
^ International treaty to prevent the construction of new energy production facilities that are not carbon-neutral
^ UN resolution to encourage renewable energy production
* Consideration of international renewable energy projects, such as large-scale solar harvesting in the Sahara Desert, offshore wind turbines in the North Sea, etc.
- Formation of a global food standards assessment team within the UN to ensure that food throughout the world is kept in safe conditions
- Global shift away from the standard model of dmeocracy to one which limits candidacy to those only who are actually capable, meaning people like Donald Trump and other such objectively incompetent people cannot take office, particularly in nations that have a dramatic impact on the world as a whole (IE: a shift towards meritocratic democracy)

What will probably happen:
- People will be a bit kinder for a couple of weeks then everything goes back to normal

Specific to the UK:
- All that clapping of the NHS will not translate to actual change to support them and the Conservatives will continue to systematically gut the system to privatise it over time.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Thu May 07, 2020 1:11 pm

"The times they are a changing"
I think Dylan may be right on this occasion.

Firstly: We have in front of us an exceptional opportunity to act upon the changes this pandemic has already wrought, which could bring about greater well-being for the public. I say we seize this opportunity.
Who is pushing us to "go back to normal"?? Those that made fast and cheap profits at the expense of the well-being of others. The old "normal" was shite for many people. An endless cycle of grinding through the week stuck in the same patterns of work scheduling that we have observed for generations. We sought comfort and happiness in unfulfilling activities and means which left us increasingly prone to psychological ailment. The work itself was also deeply unsatisfying, grey jobs in grey buildings. How many of you have actually found some solace and cheer in all this mess? The change of pace in life, the opportunity to discover and enjoy what is right at hand, something tangible? I'm working with a team examining just that phenomenon in Europe, and so far this is mostly what we have observed, even in areas hit hard and locked down tight for weeks.
The "information revolution", to borrow a term, is still accelerating but our societies are still clunking along in ways increasingly becoming incompatible. Here we have the opportunity to change that, adopting older societal practices from the past and modernising or creating others.

Secondly: We are observing changes on national and international political levels the outcomes and ramifications of we can't even begin to fathom. Many governments have found themselves in hot water over their handling of the situation which could just be the tipping point to see them ousted especially when this virus compounds their other failings. We also have stark truths to be addressed, notably among them is the unsustainable reliance on China to produce goods. We have to ask if the cheap ticket is really worth it and save ourselves from repeating the mistakes of the past.

Lastly we have a moment to consider that if we "go back to normal" we're going to continue to run into problems like this (and worse) as we continue to burn the planet. So this is a chance to decide to take our own boot away from our collective throats.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Global ramifications of the coronavirus crisis

Postby Deacarsia » Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 pm

China will become a global pariah. Neoliberalism will be dead, and nationalism will be on the rise.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Deacarsia wrote:China will become a global pariah. Neoliberalism will be dead, and nationalism will be on the rise.

Don't know about China becoming a global pariah. The West will certainly be at least slightly less trusting of them, but the Chinese can always count on their colonies in the third world to support them.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu May 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Deacarsia wrote:China will become a global pariah. Neoliberalism will be dead, and nationalism will be on the rise.

Don't know about China becoming a global pariah. The West will certainly be at least slightly less trusting of them, but the Chinese can always count on their colonies in the third world to support them.

Not after this. Thousands of people died thanks to their bullshit, and I'm sure kicking black people out of China didn't make them any more popular with Africa and Latin America.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Not after this. Thousands of people died thanks to their bullshit, and I'm sure kicking black people out of China didn't make them any more popular with Africa and Latin America.

There will still be plenty of corrupt leaders that would be just fine with living in luxury off Chinese money with their people suffer and are treated as subhumans.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu May 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Green October Z wrote:

We said that after Tiananmen, and look where we are. Made in China is probably on your shirt, pants, computer, and keyboard.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu May 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

There will still be plenty of corrupt leaders that would be just fine with living in luxury off Chinese money with their people suffer and are treated as subhumans.

This is why we need a global Hong Kong protest. The government won't stand up so China, so the mob must.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General