NATION

PASSWORD

Issue Idea (Please do not steal)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Issue Idea (Please do not steal)

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 am

I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

So one day at the beach, a message in a bottle washes up to shore. The message reveals some location and the instructions on how you can find 1 billion currency. Now it's up to you what you want to de with the info. For example: you could send a search team to retrieve the money and use it for government, or you could send a search team to arrest the writer, or something like that.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21409
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am

Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

Nobody would have any reason to take such a message at face value, instead dismissing it as a silly joke.

As a thought experiment, imagine what you'd do if you found a message in a bottle telling you where to find a billion dollars. Would you lend it any credence, really?

Now imagine you're the leader of a nation, and you find the bottle. You'd be looking out for hidden cameras and pranksters, right?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

Nobody would have any reason to take such a message at face value, instead dismissing it as a silly joke.

As a thought experiment, imagine what you'd do if you found a message in a bottle telling you where to find a billion dollars. Would you lend it any credence, really?

Now imagine you're the leader of a nation, and you find the bottle. You'd be looking out for hidden cameras and pranksters, right?

Anyway I could rework so that it could? What I could do is make looking for the money the crazy final way, and make the options different ways of punishing the individual
Last edited by Lo Santano on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sedgistan
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 28308
Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am

I've gotta agree with CWA that it's not workable. It's a fun "what'd you do?" for a person-simulation game, but it's not a dilemma that'd come up for a nation.

User avatar
Rabbitz
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

Lo Santano wrote:I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

So one day at the beach, a message in a bottle washes up to shore. The message reveals some location and the instructions on how you can find 1 billion currency. Now it's up to you what you want to de with the info. For example: you could send a search team to retrieve the money and use it for government, or you could send a search team to arrest the writer, or something like that.

Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

These are my thoughts though...

User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:I have an idea for an issue that I want your feedback on before I start drafting it. Again please do not steal it.

So one day at the beach, a message in a bottle washes up to shore. The message reveals some location and the instructions on how you can find 1 billion currency. Now it's up to you what you want to de with the info. For example: you could send a search team to retrieve the money and use it for government, or you could send a search team to arrest the writer, or something like that.

Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

These are my thoughts though...

I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.

User avatar
Rabbitz
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Lo Santano wrote:
Rabbitz wrote:Agreeing with Sedg here, it sounds more like a personal endeavor rather than something that would impact nation. You can try to format it in a way where a citizen finds a lot of treasure, and a foreign nation claims that the money is theirs and wants to reclaim it back, however the money is in your nation. That would involve a diplomatic dispute where it concerns the private territory of the citizen owning it, assuming that's allowed in the nation, the claimer who wants it, and the gov't itself deciding what to do.

These are my thoughts though...

I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.


The important part of an issue is making it in a way that it would concern your nation.
I suggest an international dispute.

The head leader of your nation wouldn't have a legislative inquiry about them going after treasure, that's just a personal decision.

And what do you mean by "going for the money" and "punishing the person" exactly?

User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:I mean it could boost the economy if you go for the money. Or decrease rights if you punish the person.


The important part of an issue is making it in a way that it would concern your nation.
I suggest an international dispute.

The head leader of your nation wouldn't have a legislative inquiry about them going after treasure, that's just a personal decision.

And what do you mean by "going for the money" and "punishing the person" exactly?

Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy

User avatar
Rabbitz
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Lo Santano wrote:
Rabbitz wrote:
The important part of an issue is making it in a way that it would concern your nation.
I suggest an international dispute.

The head leader of your nation wouldn't have a legislative inquiry about them going after treasure, that's just a personal decision.

And what do you mean by "going for the money" and "punishing the person" exactly?

Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy


Try to make it in a way that would concern the gov't.

This is mainly just an expedition that the nation's legislative body wouldn't have to concern themselves with.

User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Rabbitz wrote:
Lo Santano wrote:Like you could punish the person for pranking the government. Or you could try to find the money and boost the economy


Try to make it in a way that would concern the gov't.

This is mainly just an expedition that the nation's legislative body wouldn't have to concern themselves with.

I could make the message in a bottle a classic plea for rescue?

User avatar
Lo Santano
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Lo Santano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Doesn't sound like an issue that would work.

Nobody would have any reason to take such a message at face value, instead dismissing it as a silly joke.

As a thought experiment, imagine what you'd do if you found a message in a bottle telling you where to find a billion dollars. Would you lend it any credence, really?

Now imagine you're the leader of a nation, and you find the bottle. You'd be looking out for hidden cameras and pranksters, right?

I could change the message to make it a plea for rescue or something like that

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21409
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Still missing the point.

We're not running a text adventure game where you decide whether to Go North or Fight Orc. We're running a nation simulator game where you decide what to do about a national situation.

So not "you find a message in a bottle", rather more like

Following the box office success of hit romantic fantasy movie "Messages in Bottles" thousands of lonely fans have taken to emulating the main characters, by throwing bottles with love letters in them into the ocean.


That then becomes a situation that you might expect government to deal with.

You can, if you're skillful and experienced, phrase issues in a more personal way, like 824's family dinner, or 612's dead pet. However you have to have a better understanding of why the rules and normal forms exist before you break them. William Blake can ignore meter because he understands meter. Lesser poets ignore meter because they don't understand meter. The same applies for issues.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Morover
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1003
Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Morover » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi there, just popping in as someone who very much is not an issues-author.

Perhaps, if you wanted to run with this idea, someone found such a bottle and they tracked the money to a government property, where they're now requesting the rights to dig for the final treasure?

No idea if that's workable in reality, but it is in my mind, so just thought I'd throw it out there.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 21409
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 am

Morover wrote:Hi there, just popping in as someone who very much is not an issues-author.

Perhaps, if you wanted to run with this idea, someone found such a bottle and they tracked the money to a government property, where they're now requesting the rights to dig for the final treasure?

No idea if that's workable in reality, but it is in my mind, so just thought I'd throw it out there.


That would work, but is too similar in premise to Issue 49.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20467
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 am

Let's spend $2 billion to find potentionally find $1 billion. Yeay
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
17 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
This account is fictious. Any In-Character posts made by this account do not reflect the actions of any real world government


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Westinor

Advertisement

Remove ads