NATION

PASSWORD

Under Construction: Seventh Age Faction RP

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
North America Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Capitalizt

Under Construction: Seventh Age Faction RP

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Hey Everyone!

I am reaching out to P2TM to test interest in a high fantasy setting created by myself and/or others; the end goal being an original universe for us to have a continent wide political and military RP. Of course if you are open to the idea of a faction RP, but not necessarily an original one, I would instead create a faction RP based on an established universe (ie Dragon Age, Witcher, the Last Airbender, etc.) If there is interest in a collaborative universe, the primary focal point would be a high fantasy universe with technology and aesthetic from the Renaissance to Age of Exploration. As rifles and mass armies enter usage, and the Knight in Shining Armor starts to decline in obscurity.

For the RP itself, the main focus would be on the cultivation of wealth and research in order to build more armies and equipment. Similar to the Mass Effect Factions Series, cities would be constructed and armies would be raised in order to defend and expand your fledgling empire. However unlike MEF, we are focused on regions rather whole planetary clusters. This RP in scale would be simplified and the length of time to build whole armies increased. A map would be provided by me, that would keep trap of army locations, major forts, cities, areas of interest, etc.

NOTE:
This RP, like Mass Effect Factions, would have players purchase units and upgrades at the beginning of each month; a set time later, the unit and building would be constructed and ready to use on the field. While I will make great strides in order to simplify the math, I can't promise that it will always be easy. Luckily for me, I've gotten much better at Excel.

There would also be a main plot and story, and mythical heroes who could lead entire armies and save the world. However, it will be up to the players in order to propel the story further and advance their own interests.

Possible Questions:

1.What would you need from us?
Factions specifically. I've thought about factions before, but the trouble with these types of settings is that it doesn't necessarily mean people will play it. Knowing what players want, let's me focus on developing a plot from there on. If you're interested in doing more or have a great idea that you want to try, just let me know.

2. Well, what type of factions can we play?
Nations and Kingdoms will be the primary focus. As the transition from the Late Middle Ages to the Age of Empires, Feudalism will be dying. However, that is not to say you can't play a noble house; smaller factions akin to the Catholic Church, Dutch East India Company, the House of Medici, the Steppe Hordes, and Overseas Colonies will have their own unique play-styles supported.

3. Which Races can we be allowed to play?
Humans, Elves, and Dwarves are guaranteed to be open. Other races such as the Drow, Vampires, Dragonborn, Illithid, I am very much thinking of allowing whether as player factions or NPCs. Races I am hesitant to allow such as Orcs, Goblins, Gnomes, and Kobolds are too one note in order to really develop in terms of their lore potential from my perspective. I may allow some as players, but not necessarily factions but this is tentative. I also would prefer if races identified more with their Kingdom and Nation rather their Race as I find that far more interesting.

Speaking of which, each player will have access to racial and national benefits depending on the nation and their lore to ensure their creativity better reflects in mechanics.

4. Any idea for units, just for better clarification?
No war has been won by magic. Pike-men and Infantry are the backbone of any military force, they are the ones who hold your territory. Cavalry, whether made up of nobility or professional soldiers, are great at smashing through enemy lines. Constantinople fell to Cannons, and Scouts/Rangers ensure that enemies are where you think they are.

Of course, magic helps. Wizards based on the Schools of Magic from DnD will be able to provide a wide array of abilities. Whether raising an army of demons through the use of a Forge Master or destroying said armies through Evocation. Clerics ensure the vitality of your armies, or perhaps your laymen can manipulate the elements through innate gifts. Maybe an alchemist infuses magic with technology or a losing factions turns to more eldritch knowledge in order to save their homes.

That is not to forget about the advances in sailing, control the seas with Ship of the Lines and Frigates starves your enemies even before they reach your shores. As for air travel, don't be foolish. The stories of floating ships and dragon riders are no more than superstition.

5. What are your main inspirations?
Historically? I really enjoy the Three Kingdoms Saga of Chinese History, as well as the Age of Empire Building that we saw after the discovery of the Americas.

Fantasy wise? ASOIAF is the first thought that comes to my head, based on the realpolitik and military squabbling in a power struggle. As for others, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, DnD, and Castlevania are also factors whether for mechanics or flavor.

6. This seems a little too grand, perhaps an established universe instead?
No problem. As stated, I would probably look towards the Witcher Series or the Last Airbender are my two favorites. Of course their are others but I think they provide the best balance of realism and fantasy for an RP like this to work. If there any other worlds, feel free to mention.

7. I want to be involved, just not with nations. Can I play as a small group and/or hero?
Yup. How it will work and its mechanics will be expanded later.

8. I am interested, how to get involved?
With enough posts here, I'll create a poll and then a discord. From there we can create the major factions as well as their intertwined histories. One of the many issues I find in situations like this is that they often forgo combining different inputs, making the history feel disjointed and odd.

9. Any experience?
Of course, go look at that MEF thread again. However, it may be noted that RP was years ago, and that's fair. Just with recent current and personal events, I will have a lot more time in the immediate future to sit down and actually make this RP.

So now I have a questions for you guys. Would you be interested in this? What can I improve or change? What would you add or want to see? No reservations as of now, but feel free to state which factions you might be interested in playing as.
Last edited by North America Inc on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am

A little push back to the top never hurt anyone.

Kaledoria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledoria » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:43 am

I do like to play a Fantasy Kingdom, although I'm offended if you think my Ogres, Orcs and Goblins are Hat-People.

With mechanics however I have bad experiences. A play-by post strategy ruleset will usually not cover all the things you want to do and so you have to find excuses for why something that should obviously happen does not happen when the true reason it does not happen is, that there is no rule for it. - Or the Op decides that something outside the rules happens and then the fairness/consistency goes down.
Last edited by Kaledoria on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Kaledoria wrote:I do like to play a Fantasy Kingdom, although I'm offended if you think my Ogres, Orcs and Goblins are Hat-People.

With mechanics however I have bad experiences. A play-by post strategy ruleset will usually not cover all the things you want to do and so you have to find excuses for why something that should obviously happen does not happen when the true reason it does not happen is, that there is no rule for it. - Or the Op decides that something outside the rules happens and then the fairness/consistency goes down.

Not to say I'm totally against it, but how would you use Orcs and Goblins? I always liked the Steppe Horde faction but barbarian style factions always seems a little one note.

And I'm not sure I agree with you. Mechanics provide the resources to balance out scarcity but since this is an RPG, I'd always allow a certain level of rule of cool during interactions. Do you have an example of what you mean?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Hmm..this has my interest. Will look it over later to recommend some things.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The National Dominion of Hungary
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The National Dominion of Hungary » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 pm

Very interesting

Plotek i medialnych bredni nie daj sobie wmówić,
Codziennie się rozwijaj i nie daj się ogłupić,
Atakowi propagandy stawiaj czoło dzielnie,
Nie daj sobą sterować i myśl samodzielnie.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a solid 7/10. Deal with it.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Olthenia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 am

Alright. I'll bite.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:58 am

I'm game.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Laiakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Laiakia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:03 am

I'm up for it.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:44 am

I have a couple of ideas about different factions that may-or-may-not work with this setting~

The first is for a city-state founded by escaped slaves, exiles and scofflaws squatting on the edge of a vast, unexplored continent. A fearless, roughshod freehold, right on the edge of everything. Renegades, reavers and privateers from a dozen different shores pay homage to her in a hundred famous shanties; for wherever men can see the ocean - her name is known. Her fleshpots and slave-marts are forever teeming with the stink of human misery, while former slaves and fishermen turned pirates and slavers wash the salt from their hair in her steaming baths and drink their cares away in her bodegas and wine-marts. The city's rulers might be a self-proclaimed 'Sea-Prince' in the style of landed nobles from some faraway land, or a Court of Captains - a brotherhood of bloodthirsty reaver-lords working in concert to maintain their hold on the city, her harbor and all her many miseries - not to mention what goes on in the hinterlands. Going with the theme of the Age of Exploration, this city-state could work well as a real-life analogue to the kingdoms of the Barbary States.

The second is for a modest mercantile realm gripped by a recent storm of religious fervor. A new faith has swept her countrysides and hamlets - have found purchase along her quaysides and shores, and even trotted up her very halls of power. To cast down her queens and regal rulers, and place in their stead a priesthood. A clique of dream-seers, prophets and prayer-judges whose new domed temple calls all the faithful to rapture. In her streets and market-halls, bonfires of a hundred vanities blazed all through last spring when the stars proclaimed that all excess, filth and lucre must go. And who knows what is next? Personally, I've always been fascinated by the religious upheavals in Europe during the early Renaissance. Figures like Girolamo Savonarola in Florence or Jan of Leyden and his hand in the Münster Rebellion seem pretty darn exciting to me. How would any of those states work in a fantasy setting?
Last edited by Olthenia on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Benuty wrote:Hmm..this has my interest. Will look it over later to recommend some things.

Laiakia wrote:I'm up for it.

The National Dominion of Hungary wrote:Very interesting

Ralnis wrote:I'm game.

That's all great to hear. Do you guys any preference or race? I'm trying to decide on the major factions, and while I have a few ideas, I want to leave it open.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Olthenia wrote:I have a couple of ideas about different factions that may-or-may-not work with this setting~

The first is for a city-state founded by escaped slaves, exiles and scofflaws squatting on the edge of a vast, unexplored continent. A fearless, roughshod freehold, right on the edge of everything. Renegades, reavers and privateers from a dozen different shores pay homage to her in a hundred famous shanties; for wherever men can see the ocean - her name is known. Her fleshpots and slave-marts are forever teeming with the stink of human misery, while former slaves and fishermen turned pirates and slavers wash the salt from their hair in her steaming baths and drink their cares away in her bodegas and wine-marts. The city's rulers might be a self-proclaimed 'Sea-Prince' in the style of landed nobles from some faraway land, or a Court of Captains - a brotherhood of bloodthirsty reaver-lords working in concert to maintain their hold on the city, her harbor and all her many miseries - not to mention what goes on in the hinterlands. Going with the theme of the Age of Exploration, this city-state could work well as a real-life analogue to the kingdoms of the Barbary States.

The second is for a modest mercantile realm gripped by a recent storm of religious fervor. A new faith has swept her countrysides and hamlets - have found purchase along her quaysides and shores, and even trotted up her very halls of power. To cast down her queens and regal rulers, and place in their stead a priesthood. A clique of dream-seers, prophets and prayer-judges whose new domed temple calls all the faithful to rapture. In her streets and market-halls, bonfires of a hundred vanities blazed all through last spring when the stars proclaimed that all excess, filth and lucre must go. And who knows what is next? Personally, I've always been fascinated by the religious upheavals in Europe during the early Renaissance. Figures like Girolamo Savonarola in Florence or Jan of Leyden and his hand in the Münster Rebellion seem pretty darn exciting to me. How would any of those states work in a fantasy setting?

The first idea is more than applicable. I was initially planning to have a major continent with islands around its coast. However with your idea, would you prefer a map with smaller sub continents surrounded by the high seas.

For the second, its more dependent how we want to treat religion? Do we want gods to have an active role in the RP where its known that they exist or more so, magic and science exists, but no proof about divinity beyond faith?

Laiakia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Laiakia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 am

North America Inc wrote:That's all great to hear. Do you guys any preference or race? I'm trying to decide on the major factions, and while I have a few ideas, I want to leave it open.

I was thinking of a Human cult state who worships an eldritch god, kinda like Cthulhu. They would specialize in necromancy and other dark arts while neglecting the other 'good' branches. Their main goal would probably be to try to wake their deity from eternal slumber and bring an end to the world or something like that. Im not sure how they would achive this, but the waking ritual would probably require a few artifacts scattered around the world. Their leader would be an ancient lich who functions kinda like a vessel for the deity to transmit messages to.

Im not sure if this would work, so i'd like to hear some feedback if possible.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:39 am

North America Inc wrote:The first idea is more than applicable. I was initially planning to have a major continent with islands around its coast. However with your idea, would you prefer a map with smaller sub continents surrounded by the high seas.

For the second, its more dependent how we want to treat religion? Do we want gods to have an active role in the RP where its known that they exist or more so, magic and science exists, but no proof about divinity beyond faith?

Smaller sub continents surrounded by high seas sounds better, yes.

I'd prefer it if we took the less fantastic option when it came to faith. Rather than actual gods with actual avatars stomping about, I'd be happier with just magic and science - and perhaps the odd fusion of the two. That way, you have room for interpretation - a void to fill with whatever nonsense you prefer. Therein lies fun RP.
Last edited by Olthenia on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 am

I am here.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 am

I would be interested in joining.

I am thinking of a Kingdom in which the ruling (civilian) aristocracy are Elves but the majority of population (including in the army) are humans. I would base it off the Byzantine Empire. A relatively advanced realm with high culture, there will be tension between the Elf court officials in capital, who are dominant for now, and the human military aristocrats in the provinces who want more say in governance.
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am

Laiakia wrote:
North America Inc wrote:That's all great to hear. Do you guys any preference or race? I'm trying to decide on the major factions, and while I have a few ideas, I want to leave it open.

I was thinking of a Human cult state who worships an eldritch god, kinda like Cthulhu. They would specialize in necromancy and other dark arts while neglecting the other 'good' branches. Their main goal would probably be to try to wake their deity from eternal slumber and bring an end to the world or something like that. Im not sure how they would achive this, but the waking ritual would probably require a few artifacts scattered around the world. Their leader would be an ancient lich who functions kinda like a vessel for the deity to transmit messages to.

Im not sure if this would work, so i'd like to hear some feedback if possible.

That should be fine. The only issue I think I can see is that if we go with the faith oriented explanation for religion, basically Olethenia's explanation, than you couldn't have outright contact with a Great Old One. Not that higher dimensional beings couldn't exist in the world, their initial contact must be rather limited.

I also planned for one of the major factions to be a Vampiric Empire from the North that utilized Necromancy to a certain extent. If you want, your nation can be an ally of vassal of them.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:I would be interested in joining.

I am thinking of a Kingdom in which the ruling (civilian) aristocracy are Elves but the majority of population (including in the army) are humans. I would base it off the Byzantine Empire. A relatively advanced realm with high culture, there will be tension between the Elf court officials in capital, who are dominant for now, and the human military aristocrats in the provinces who want more say in governance.

That's an interesting idea. Is there anything things you want me to add to the physiology or characteristics of elves for that idea to work?

Laiakia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Laiakia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:38 am

North America Inc wrote:That should be fine. The only issue I think I can see is that if we go with the faith oriented explanation for religion, basically Olethenia's explanation, than you couldn't have outright contact with a Great Old One. Not that higher dimensional beings couldn't exist in the world, their initial contact must be rather limited.

I also planned for one of the major factions to be a Vampiric Empire from the North that utilized Necromancy to a certain extent. If you want, your nation can be an ally of vassal of them.

Aye, an ally of the Vampiric Empire would be nice. I do agree that the contact with the eldritch creature should be rather limited, atleast in the begining.

Thanks for the confirmation!

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:03 pm

As for story, should we have a fundamental big bad that all factions are ultimately in danger from or have it much more sandbox beyond a few natural/storytelling events.

There's even a compromise similar to Littlefinger from ASOIAF where in a small but powerful affluent group is sowing chaos rather than outright invasion.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm

One thing I had in mind is a mixture or descendants of dwarves and elves known as Immeratula or Grey Elves, also know as the Elves of the Hammer, Iron or Metal itself. They are elves with dark ashen grey that have a natural aptitude to magic that is focus on Earth and metal magic. They are shorter( think normal elf height in dragon age) than humans and nearly live as much. However they have built one of the most industrious city-states in the land carved in the mountains of the world.

They are offspring from elves who were taken by a dwarven city during some catastrophe or another. The thing is that they are a evolution of this mixing and form the strongest connection to the mountains and the titans that dwell underneath the earth. They worship these titans similar to how the Dragon Age Dwarves worship the titans but without the mind control.

They usually drink the magical blood of the titans and help the mages control the earth and help them with their industry. Or something like that.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Ralnis wrote:One thing I had in mind is a mixture or descendants of dwarves and elves known as Immeratula or Grey Elves, also know as the Elves of the Hammer, Iron or Metal itself. They are elves with dark ashen grey that have a natural aptitude to magic that is focus on Earth and metal magic. They are shorter( think normal elf height in dragon age) than humans and nearly live as much. However they have built one of the most industrious city-states in the land carved in the mountains of the world.

They are offspring from elves who were taken by a dwarven city during some catastrophe or another. The thing is that they are a evolution of this mixing and form the strongest connection to the mountains and the titans that dwell underneath the earth. They worship these titans similar to how the Dragon Age Dwarves worship the titans but without the mind control.

They usually drink the magical blood of the titans and help the mages control the earth and help them with their industry. Or something like that.

Well this gets a little more complicated with the introduction of half races. However is there any reasons to not go dwarves? Or on the other hand, not have dwarves as a race and allow your elves to be their analogous.

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Interested in this and for the story, I am for a big bad or a small group causing chaos.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:38 pm

With how many people here now, would a few of you be interested in a discord to help me with the lore?

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 pm

North America Inc wrote:With how many people here now, would a few of you be interested in a discord to help me with the lore?

I would be interested in that

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse