NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] A (Lot of) Pennies For Your Thoughts

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITTED] A (Lot of) Pennies For Your Thoughts

Postby Fauxia » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi, I’m just gonna plunk this here.

Draft Status: 1.4
[description] No one in @@NAME@@ imagined that the "March Against CWA221, Part 19, Clause F" would attract the thousands of protestors it drew; it just seemed like too niche of a part of the tax code. An investigative report published in a number of highbrow media sources today revealed that a number of the protestors were paid to march and have no interest whatsoever in the actual issue.

[validity] must have taxes, must have public protest, must not have high income equality

[option] "No politician would take money for policy considerations," claims member of parliament @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, who is widely rumored to have helped write the tax policy in question while taking money for policy considerations. "There’s no reason citizens should be allowed to either. No one except those corrupt fat cats - our upstanding wealthy citizens, I mean, could oppose my policy! You must ban the payment of protestors!"
[fallout] celebrities seem to have fewer causes than they used to

[option] "I don’t see what’s wrong with it," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, wealthy friend-turned-recent-enemy of @@LASTNAME(1)@@, one of the employers of the protestors. "In a free country, people should march for what they want for whatever reason they want. All I’m doing is giving people a little incentive to be politically engaged. What’s wrong with that? Shouldn’t we have an intelligent populace?"
[fallout] most celebrities are vocally opposed to @@LEADER@@

must not have geronticide
[option] "I understand that this seems corrupt," remarks the elderly @@RANDOMNAME@@ from @@HIS@@ retirement home. "But some of us old folks don’t have the legs to protest anymore. Don’t we still have a right to have our voices heard? You can restrict this practice, but let the elderly and disabled hire a proxy or two to protest in our stead. Actually, maybe the government can pay the bill, since other people don’t have to pay to protest."
[fallout] the Octogenarian Opposition to the Government Agency is the fastest-growing government agency

[option] "Let’s be smart about this," encourages that stupid party official who always comes up with the worst ideas. "You should let the rich pay protestors, but pay some yourself to counterprotest, or even to start a riot! The protests will be discredited as violent and support for you will be be through the roof! Assuming no one leaks anything, but everyone in the party is loyal to you, right?"
[fallout] there’s never been more violence caused by protestors protesting protestors protesting protestors
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:07 am

CWA221? Nice. :)

Does mean I wouldn't be able to edit it without being accused of author insertion, of course.

I like this issue though, it's a sound premise, and is well executed. Last effect line is a little weak though.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:42 am

What exactly were they protesting? Why is a tax cut a big enough deal to warranting the cause by paying people to protest?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am

The point is that it doesn't matter, Aussie. It's just a framing device for the actual issue.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:CWA221? Nice. :)

Does mean I wouldn't be able to edit it without being accused of author insertion, of course.

I like this issue though, it's a sound premise, and is well executed. Last effect line is a little weak though.

Thanks CW! Glad you like the reference.

221, meanwhile is a reference to the issue about bloated tax codes which has a similar code, "NOQ112", which gave me the idea.

Tweaked the draft a bit. Hopefully this new effect line in option 4 is better.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:23 am

[fallout] there’s never been more violence caused by protestors protesting protestors protesting protestors

Win :rofl:

One interesting aspect of astroturfing that may be worth considering is that they are often used to protest in far off locations. For example, I remember in one John Oliver he discussed how a businessman in some place like Kentucky was paying for protesters in some place like Oregon because their new local ordinance was going to affect his business.

Perhaps not for this draft but something worth looking into.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:10 am

Fauxia wrote:encourages that stupid party official with the worst ideas

How about: encourages that stupid party official who always comes up with the worst ideas.

Another interesting aspect; where I live, whenever a politician holds a rally, they pay people to attend. The payment is usually a t-shirt, a lunchbox and about $2. Some people here are so poor - that payment makes it worthwhile to attend. Then the opposing politician holds his rally, offers the same payment, and the same people turn up to the rival rally. :)

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am

Tweaked it a bit.

Baggieland wrote:
Fauxia wrote:encourages that stupid party official with the worst ideas

How about: encourages that stupid party official who always comes up with the worst ideas.

Another interesting aspect; where I live, whenever a politician holds a rally, they pay people to attend. The payment is usually a t-shirt, a lunchbox and about $2. Some people here are so poor - that payment makes it worthwhile to attend. Then the opposing politician holds his rally, offers the same payment, and the same people turn up to the rival rally. :)

Is it worth pointing this out and having someone propose to ban this as well in another option? Or perhaps should I combine it with option 1? What does everyone think?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:47 am

Nah, I just thought it would be interesting to share. :) It might work as the effect line for option 2 though.

Imperial Summaville
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Summaville » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm

This is a great draft. :) Nice job!
Fauxia wrote:[fallout] celebrities seem to have less causes than they used to

Not a super big deal, but here "less" should actually be "fewer", as a "cause" is a countable noun. You say "less water" because "water" doesn't imply a specific unit, but "fewer glasses of water" because there is a unit there.
That's my mini-grammar lecture over and done with. Like I said, not a big deal, but anyone who cares about that kind of thing will wince if you say "less". :)

Best of luck whenever you decide to submit!
Last edited by Imperial Summaville on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Imperial Summaville wrote:This is a great draft. :) Nice job!
Fauxia wrote:[fallout] celebrities seem to have less causes than they used to

Not a super big deal, but here "less" should actually be "fewer", as a "cause" is a countable noun. You say "less water" because "water" doesn't imply a specific unit, but "fewer glasses of water" because there is a unit there.
That's my mini-grammar lecture over and done with. Like I said, not a big deal, but anyone who cares about that kind of thing will wince if you say "less". :)

Best of luck whenever you decide to submit!

I’m usually very well at grammar ( :p ), that’s the one thing I really don’t think about. Thanks!

One Small Island
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby One Small Island » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm

I like this issue quite a bit, but there's something that sticks out to me as not quite making sense and it could just be that I'm misreading it... buuuuuuuuuut in option one it states that the politician has (or is rumored to have) taken money for policy consideration, and then he says 'nobody except my friends... could oppose my policy'.

If this politician has taken bribes while writing the tax code, wouldn't the fat cats who bribed him be supporting the tax code? It just doesn't seem to make sense to me that the people who bribed him, who he even refers to as his friends (albeit in a Freudian manner), would oppose his policy. Wouldn't it make more sense if his slip wasn't in referring to the fat cats as his friends but as like skinflints or penny-pinchers or some other pejorative that implies it's the people who didn't bribe him who are opposed to his bill?
Generally Retired
They//Them
Trying to find peace and enjoyment in the game again.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:13 am

One Small Island wrote:I like this issue quite a bit, but there's something that sticks out to me as not quite making sense and it could just be that I'm misreading it... buuuuuuuuuut in option one it states that the politician has (or is rumored to have) taken money for policy consideration, and then he says 'nobody except my friends... could oppose my policy'.

If this politician has taken bribes while writing the tax code, wouldn't the fat cats who bribed him be supporting the tax code? It just doesn't seem to make sense to me that the people who bribed him, who he even refers to as his friends (albeit in a Freudian manner), would oppose his policy. Wouldn't it make more sense if his slip wasn't in referring to the fat cats as his friends but as like skinflints or penny-pinchers or some other pejorative that implies it's the people who didn't bribe him who are opposed to his bill?

That’s a good point. I’ll fix it.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Tweaked and addressed One Small Island’s point.

If there are no objections, I will likely submit this soon.

Newvigen
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Newvigen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 am

looking good. But who paid the protestors? (isn't a serious problem though)
Last edited by Newvigen on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:05 am

Newvigen wrote:looking good. But who paid the protestors? (isn't a serious problem though)

Option 2's speaker is implied to have paid the protestors that sparked the debate:
Fauxia wrote:@@RANDOMNAME@@, wealthy friend-turned-recent-enemy of @@LASTNAME(1)@@, one of the employers of the protestors.

Looks like a good issue, from where I'm stood. Effect 1 and 2 might be a little funnier, but that's personal preference, not objective correction.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm

This has been submitted (with a few more tweaks). Thanks to all who contributed :)
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Best wishes!
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?